SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#726 2013-11-18 02:54:41

gfellerjm

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

I use #! for a variety of reasons that have all been said by one or more people already.
A. it works - including wifi (important on my laptops) simply works. (only issue is suspend on my macbook, but not a huge deal)
B. it's lightweight - It allows my old dell to play hulu through my TV, it had issues with every other linux distro I tried (mostly speed)
C. it's teaches me - I'm far from a computer expert and using crunchbang has required me to learn a more
D. no set date for reinstall - I hate reinstalling/major upgrades and there is no preset release schedule requiring me to reinstall/major upgrade in 6 months. (also tried rolling releases but spend more time maintaining than working)
E. Minimalist - nuf said.
F. Last but not least - saved my life - Mac OS 10.9 upgrade broke my macbook (I caused the issue with my partitions) and untill I had time to reinstall, #! live cd allowed me to continue to work.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#727 2013-11-21 13:27:40

tamikan
#! Die Hard

tamikan wrote:

I run Arch but run #! in a VM for professional use since we're working with mother Debian and this is truly the best Debian-based distro out there  ]:D

I'm now running #! as my main. Arch was fun but I'm not missing out anything with #!

Also I've experienced the random 90 seconds delay with systemd when shutting down the computer. This bug has been reported upstream already but I didn't like the fact that I've experienced it using packages from the "stable" rep. Bleeding edge is cool but I love stability more.

Top things ]:D
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

#728 2013-11-21 16:49:08

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

I use Crunchbang because it allows me to use my PC with style and stability, listen to music, draw bananas in GIMP and give me all the other freedoms I so enjoy.

#729 2013-11-21 22:13:34

CrunchRunner

I use chrunchbang because it's fast, stable, inobtrusive and Debian-based.

#730 2013-11-23 17:26:16

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

well I was using Ubuntu but I could not figure out how to pronounce it by just looking at how it is spelled where #! is easier to pronounce "pound sign explanation point"   big_smile

... and It is more stripped down then Ubuntu  I really didn't like the Gnome Deasktop look and it was hard to get at everything using openbox then haveing to try and find out what that Gnome program is called to start it up in Openbox to change this or that in Openbox or having to go back into that uggly Gnome look/ icon menu on the side and all that to get to it and having to use that click icon search then type in what your looking for to get to it just to open a term instead of just right clit menu there it is for everything.

so I decised that I  just wanted  GNU/Linux with Openbox after trying more then 5 mind you desktops / WM's or which ever they are called -- ie. XFCE / Enlightenment etc... finding I really liked Openbox becuase it is more screen on my acer asper one D250 dinky netbook and it makes it look like a Linux and not a Windows -- (which is just silly for people to dump WIndows for Linux only to try and make it look like Windows again -- that is counterproductive)

I like Openbox it keeps me busy just checking out what I can do with it and all them add-ons - docker, trayer, tint2 and such oh and that hsetroot is cool, thanks #! for putting that in the Autostart - I'd a never known it was around if you hadn't. It is cool for setting the desktop wallpaper too it needs a set_x set_y for the picture added that'd be even cooler..  I'd try to add it to that program but hey I'm just starting my learning and its a bit of a learning curve for me as I  only have a rusty mid to basic understading of  borland Delphi/ Java/C/C++ yet this BASH that is a bugger to learn for me --(BASH Program) --> "ok that is a valid if statment" but not in BASH .. I really need to learn the syntax  --- anyways --- I do beleave it is because of the way it is taught I think that makes it hareder for me but that is another subject ---

Last edited by userx-bw (2013-11-23 17:42:25)

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#731 2013-11-25 10:07:44

phi7

I've used Crunchbang for a couple of years now on an old desktop and for the past year or so on an equally old Dell laptop that was really struggling with windows XP. It's super quick; the laptop leaves my wife's one year old lenovo laptop with windows 7 standing. Unfortunately I daren't put Crunchbang on her laptop because she lacks patience with windows and I think she'd lose it if she had to learn the idiosyncrasies of linux. Having said that I find Crunchbang perfect for my needs and my children who are 5 and 8 seem to have no problems using it for web-browsing, iplayer, web games etc.

Hmmm, maybe I'll dual boot her machine for her while she's out one day...

#732 2013-11-25 20:00:23

vic
#! by Default

phi7 wrote:

Hmmm, maybe I'll dual boot her machine for her while she's out one day...

Maybe talk her into to just let her try #! on your machine for "fun", like your kids do. Offer her a romantic dinner as reward big_smile

Time to move on!#

#733 2013-11-25 21:11:15

g33zr
#! Die Hard

^ +1 Wise advice!  cool

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#734 2013-11-26 17:33:42

Grapes

I use CrunchBang because I want to learn more. I am actually a new linux user (only about a month and a half under my belt now) but I have always been into computers and actually persuing my computer science masters degree. I became very interested with linux and saw that on CrunchBang you could customize everything and make it do pretty much anything, and that is what sold me. It took me until after I downloaded it to realize how lightweight it is which made me love it more.

#735 2013-11-26 22:41:12

Collin_O

I've been looking for a debian based distro that's not bloated (like ubuntu and its derivatives tend to be), something that is simple, elegant, light and fast which requires a bit of thinking and interaction to use, but not so much so that it makes it unusable for day-to-day tasks - both for personal and profeessional use.  Something that does 99% of what I want out of the box with an uncluttered desktop environment, as is openbox.  I've been using linux for 13 years now (my introduction to linux was Corel linux, which was debian based), have tried a lot of distros across the years, and when I finally decided to give #! a spin, its was like *ahhhhhh*...  My thanks to one and all who have worked so hard on this distro.  I love that I can configure it anyway I like, but I supposed that can be said of all linux distros...  #! is awesome, though, and stands out - and IMHO the Waldorf theme for openbox is very classy...

#736 2013-11-26 23:39:23

tamikan
#! Die Hard

Long life to #!   big_smile

Top things ]:D
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

#737 2013-11-29 00:00:15

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

I have lost count how many times I have posted to this thread. I just CAN'T take #! off any of my computers. When I try out other distros, I enjoy them for a while but then have to reinstall #1 because this distro makes sense to me. It's so easy to configure and work with and when I do get stuck, the #! forum is second to none.

I'm digitizing all of my LP's (around 5000 of them), on an old Dell 3000 running #!. What I find funny is that right next to it is my iMac 24" that I only use to watch videos these days. I have more fun on the Dell running #! than I could ever imagine on the iMac.

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

#738 2013-12-20 15:17:16

RacerBG
#! Member

Im using #! because I have 6 years old PC. It can run well also XFCE, Mate, LXDE but it loves OB. smile

#739 2013-12-21 02:54:04

samZ0rp
#! CrunchBanger

mainly the good speed on my net-book
my net-book now really flies with it

Warning it may eat your hampster

#740 2013-12-29 12:15:40

Dudi879

I have Debian on my main computer, but when I saw #! - I installed it on my older laptop, and it's faster, all is running out-of-the-box and I really like this minimalism.

#741 2013-12-29 18:18:10

shadowplay

I've been using Linux since the late 90's (started with SuSE 8.x).

Over the years, i bounced around a few distros, but ended up with openSUSE for the last few years.

CrunchBang offers several appealing features that made me jump ship:
- a great community (helpful, loads of relevant info, no egos or attitude!)
- Debian based, meaning great stability and widely used (so loads of info on the net)
- Even better, based on Debian Stable, meaning a long support cycle (and no 6 or 9-monthly reinstall when the new shiney version is released)
- no bloat and no unnecessary services or apps
- fast and nimble (lack of a DE has a lot of benefits)
- complete control over my GUI with a great default selection of apps

The minimalist approach to the UI won't suit everyone, but it works perfectly for me  smile

#742 2013-12-29 23:49:47

Snap
#! Die Hard

No bloat. Just the necessary services. Makes my crap desktop fly. Stable. For first time in this computer I din't need to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers for now. The Nouveau just works great. Quite surprising. It was mandatory for any other distros I've tried. And of course, the menu!!!

I wanted to test it with the idea of being the base for KXStudio whenever the migration to Debian gets completed. But in the meanwhile it's about becoming my main desktop replacing SolydK. Will also replace the current Ubuntu based KXStudio with an RT kernel, and I will tweak AVLinux the #! way too. AVL is based on the old stable, but it's close enough. Will get rid of LXDE and Wbar, add Tint2 if possible and leave OB, Slim, Nitrogen, etc... You know, the #! way.

#743 2014-01-02 23:11:16

melo

It is fast, stable and leaves plenty of resources open for graphic design work.

Having Openbox fully configured by default saves me loads of time too!

#744 2014-01-05 00:02:56

a_bee
Website

simple and minimalist. perfect for my light netbook.  big_smile

HP mini + #! waldorf = cool cool

#745 2014-01-07 04:56:42

maxpolaris

I decided to use #!Crunchbang because I wanted to become more familiar with config files and system scripts.
I wanted something light and stable with a code base that is probably well understood by many people.
I like the real cool name #!Crunchbang hmm
I think it seems kind of different.

Last edited by maxpolaris (2014-01-07 05:03:05)

#746 2014-02-04 12:58:59

XanII

Long story short: I came here some years ago looking for a 'new blackbox -like' setup i had in the late 90s early 00s. But the advance of ubuntu made me lazy so i sticked to it.

Now it seems Ubuntu has managed to push me enough to abandon it despite the fact that i am lazy as hell and their unity debacle has died down and everything is just fine. So why not satisfied? i can't stand the changes and i am expecting many more to come. I have built up ubuntu systems from bottom to top many times and configured them the way i want but then slowly key components are being taken away and suddenly i realize it is more chore using these than actualy doing things the old ways. (I come from old 90s slackware originaly)

I want a system that
1) i use time and toil to make it look just right ONCE -> back up the config files and settings and use them when i make a new system. Hardware comes and goes. Systems die. then i rebuild using scrap parts. Rinse and repeat. That is made somewhat hard on Ubuntu these days. atleast i am not satisfied with the end result and process.

2) allows years to go by and nothing fundamental changes. Let MS windows change. i manage change in my job everyday. By all means let linux advance but i prefer to take it slow. especialy for my multiple home pc enviroments which i want really spartan.

#747 2014-02-04 14:13:47

Sigma88

I use #! because it is the perfect linux distro for my Dell D600. All the other distro's were either not prestigious (visually appealing) enough or slowed my PC down to much because of its crappy HW, but now I think it may be my all time favourite.

#748 2014-02-04 16:15:31

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

For me on all three of my computers, Crunchbang is the only distro I have come across that doesn't have the bloat or twists and turns needed to get something done. #!gets the job done quickly and unobtrusively!

Last edited by rmcellig (2014-02-04 16:16:16)

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

#749 2014-02-05 13:40:20

XanII

Started by putting #! on an old eeePC 901 with two small SSD disks. works like a charm even though the processor is a tiny Atom cpu.  2-5% idle load and mostly it is kept down under 100% even when stressed. Had Ubuntu 13.04 there earlier and it was just too much for the poor bugger.  Using it was horrible too. first one boots a bloaty OS, then dealing with the unecessary bloaty unity that you dont even want to use because whatever you type in the search it will immediately try to figure out what you are typing.  Shortcut links was a must.
And the changes. always changes coming in twice a year. or then no change when you expect one. either or it was always bad. and has been like this for some years now with Ubuntu. 2010 i think this OS peaked.

Quite satisfied with the out of the box #!. only modified conky and added some small apps + menu tweaks and then backed up the config files for backup or other system builds.

I would change nothing the way #! is now - except default wallpaper seen in the screenshots. i found #! on distrowatch and my first reaction was that this OS is a brainchild of people who like the green glow of terminal lights on their faces and nothing more. Add even a little bit of color by making a wallpaper that is mostly crunch colored but has some sections with some hint of bright color to tell passersby this is not a hardcore night dwellers distro. Say by adding some dashy purple/ice color to the crunchbang-flames wallpaper or something.  Point is: my first impression of #! was completely wrong.

Last edited by XanII (2014-02-05 13:41:49)

Be excellent to each other!

#750 2014-02-10 23:51:43

Lightman

It's the only distro with works in my Samsung NP600B4C, any other I try have diferents problems.

Is stable, I never have a bug alert, a crash or slowdown because of updates and not hard to find firmware from wifi like Debian.

Last edited by Lightman (2014-02-10 23:53:11)

Board footer