SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-09-07 19:06:26

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Re: How To: Make a CrunchBook -- CrunchBang on Chrome OS

Volume control and brightness control are handled by Chrome OS. You could probably map a key to control either, using the commands to control either from the #! terminal. Find these commands on the Crouton README: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/bl … /README.md

Screenshots are a little different -- I haven't actually tried this yet, but I think screenshots are handled by a #! Application (not as a system service, like networking, brightness, or volume). You may be able to map a key to this as well, but that would depend on what program takes the screenshots. I'll do some digging -- let me know if you find anything.

"Be well, do good works, and keep in touch" - Garrison Keillor
--
Custom AMD A6-6400k tower (#! Waldorf/Sid)
Acer Chromebook C710 (#! or Fedora)

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-09-10 20:30:34

av8n

Brandon_mn:

If you hook up an external keyboard to the acer c7 and hit Prtsc - the screenshot will work.

If you want the screenshot application (scrot) to work on the acer c7 without adding an external keyboard, you can hold Alt + F10 and it will take a screenshot of your page.

Hope that helps

#28 2013-09-17 18:12:35

jclark5093

Using a Samsung, first thing I did was use crouton to get a basic "ubuntu" with xfce4 and that worked.

after installing x11 for #! (it automatically substituted Zephyr for ARM), I lost control of the mouse. Anyone else seen this? I feel like I can't get any further. I can't even control the mouse in ChromeOS anymore.  It moves, but sporadically and not in the direction I tell it, it bounces around and the right click contextual menu opens randomly (when trying to use the mouse)

Any help is greatly appreciated, these are amazing machines with great price tags - if only we can make them USABLE!

Last edited by jclark5093 (2013-09-17 18:20:21)

#29 2013-09-20 23:41:26

av8n

Brandon_mn:

Is it possible to get STEAM to work?

#30 2013-09-27 00:12:44

sinc26

Hey, thanks for the great guide. Just want to clarify this:

Chrome OS is really annoying in some ways, because nobody has bothered to crack the BIOS of the cheaper Chromebooks (Google included a standard BIOS on the high-end Chromebook Pixel, but I may as well have purchased $ANYLAPTOP for that price), and there's no good way of "dual-booting" anything but Ubuntu (to my knowledge)

You actually can flash an alternative BIOS (coreboot) on all the x86 Chromebooks and turn them into "standard" laptops with proper dual-booting, USB booting, hardware VT, etc. There are guides here and here. Note that this does require opening up the Chromebooks to disable write protect and have other risks like bricking if you're not careful.
Likewise, it is possible to flash Das U-Boot on the ARM Samsung Chromebook.

Also, if you'd prefer to not flash coreboot, you can use this toolbox for the Acer C7 to install a Linux distro with or without removing Chrome OS.

I wanted to bring this up since it sounds like you and others would be interested in running only #! and not Chrome OS.

Last edited by sinc26 (2013-09-27 00:32:37)

#31 2013-09-28 06:25:13

DennisL

If you're too busy(lazy) too type 'sudo enter-chroot' and then 'startx', you can copy/create a 'crouton' start* script similar to the one below that I named 'startob' ( for openbox smile -

#!/bin/sh -e
# Copyright (c) 2013 The Chromium OS Authors. All rights reserved.
# Use of this source code is governed by a BSD-style license that can be
# found in the LICENSE file.

APPLICATION="${0##*/}"

USAGE="$APPLICATION [options]

Wraps enter-chroot to start an OpenBox session.
By default, it will log into the primary user on the first chroot found.

Options are directly passed to enter-chroot; run enter-chroot to list them."

exec sh -e "`dirname "\`readlink -f "$0"\`"`/enter-chroot" "$@"\
    exec xinit openbox-session

#32 2013-10-09 06:38:01

superwow
#! Member

Today Google announced the fun, sleek, light HP 11 Chromebook. It comes in fun colors, has very thin and artful styling, has a better screen than most chromebooks. It charges by micro-usb (so nice to think about carrying only ONE charger). It is super light! It runs Exynos, as does the Samsung.

I have two questions:

1) I don't think I have the programming chops to streamline the process (ie script together 'reading through the repos' or re-script cb-netinstall), but judging by the new hardware, would anything else be different than the Samsung chromebook?

2) If anyone has #!'ed a Samsung chromebook, care to share your feelings on how tedious and problematic it was?  (ie - how big of an ordeal is it? and how well do things work given the extensive kludging?)

Last edited by superwow (2013-10-09 06:39:09)

#33 2013-10-16 09:58:48

tbritton

If your headphone jack isn't working OR your speakers do not engage when you unplug your headphones, try this solution here and watch the thread (crouton issues thread) https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/issues/423

Here's what's there already:

If you start a chroot without the headphones plugged in, then speakers work, but plugging in headphones does not.

However, if you start a chroot with the headphones plugged in, then the headphones work, but unplugging them does not enable the speakers - they are silent.

I found a workaround:

I returned to ChromeOS with the key combo CTRL-Alt-LeftArrow.
I opened a second tab of crosh with CTRL-Alt-T and entered the shell, and typed:
sudo initctl stop cras
It returned
cras stop/waiting
and the music stopped coming from the speakers as expected.

Then I typed this in the same crosh shell as the above stop command:
sudo initctl start cras
It returned:
cras start/running process 6370
I returned to Crunchbang using CTRL-ALT-SPACE-ForwardArrow and stopped VLC and hit play again. Now both the headphones and the speakers worked in the normal manner from within the chroot!

UPDATE - there is a faster way to do the same as above. Type:
sudo restart cras
in the crosh shell, then re-enter crunchbang.

Last edited by tbritton (2013-10-16 23:47:22)

#! Lover

#34 2013-10-23 01:21:27

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Hey, thanks everyone! big_smile

All of the above are great tips, and have taken this far beyond I could have ever done on my own. You all are the best!

I hadn't found a BIOS solution -- I'm really glad someone has done it. That'll be my next step in this project, to be sure.

Thanks again, and happy CrunchBangin'!

Brandon

--

#35 2013-10-31 01:59:41

dmerand
Website

I just wanted to say that this tutorial worked very well for me! I'm up + running with #! on an Acer C710. I'm posting this from the Linux side of my C7. This is my first experience with the distro, and I must say that I'm glad that the installation was relatively simple, and that #! has such sensible software installation + setup defaults.

I've got a whole fleet of these C7s - I work at a school, and we use them as general-purpose AV + classroom machines. I'm thinking #! is just right for when we want to eke some more functionality out of these Chromebooks. Like, for example, play DVDs, or use Gimp. Acer C7 + crouton + SD Card + #! means I can quickly set up the distro, have it work nicely, then clone the SD card and deploy to as many Chromebooks as I want to convert to developer mode smile

Thanks again for such a helpful tutorial; I'm glad + thankful that you did all of the hard work!

Acer C7 Crunchbook + loving every minute

#36 2013-10-31 03:30:05

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

dmerand, I'm really glad to hear you've used this HowTo! It was a pleasure to create. This is my first real deep-dive into learning how CrunchBang and similarly-minded OSes/programs work -- I'm happy that it was effective/useful/helpful.

Also, let it be known that you're the kind of IT guy I wish my high school had (I'm a freshman and IT helpdesker in college)!

Keep living the dream,

Brandon

--

#37 2013-12-21 13:27:03

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

I've been running #crouton with the Ubuntu Xfce on a Samsung Chromebook for a few months now, but I wouldn't mind getting away from that. Thanks for putting this out there... /bookmarked/  smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#38 2014-02-02 04:51:11

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Did this today and it went without a hitch! Thanks brandon_mn for the guide and johnraff for the netinstall script!

#39 2014-02-02 08:59:15

k0s

You guys are wizards, no doubt about it. Awesome development and dev feedback. After the umpteenth client asked me my opinion on the subject I bypassed my OEM reps, picked one up retail and have thoroughly (and I mean: into pieces) unboxed this device. Taking a slight merge away from topic core - Im curious to why y'all would go through so much hassle to make #! native to an environment in which the OEM has gone to great lengths to prevent from happening. make no mistake: Im fighting for the home team here, and understand fully the desire to void the warranty. (Ive been tackling "CrunchPi" and have outright assaulted android over the years) and Im certainly no fan of Google nor Samsung Corp philosophies on market share. (although kudos to them both for their recent patent share agreement) I guess my question is why are people so attracted to these new devices. 'cuz their new? 'cuz their cheap? Im genuinely curious to what the attraction is.

#40 2014-02-02 18:01:29

cjl

k0s wrote:

You guys are wizards, no doubt about it. Awesome development and dev feedback. After the umpteenth client asked me my opinion on the subject I bypassed my OEM reps, picked one up retail and have thoroughly (and I mean: into pieces) unboxed this device. Taking a slight merge away from topic core - Im curious to why y'all would go through so much hassle to make #! native to an environment in which the OEM has gone to great lengths to prevent from happening. make no mistake: Im fighting for the home team here, and understand fully the desire to void the warranty. (Ive been tackling "CrunchPi" and have outright assaulted android over the years) and Im certainly no fan of Google nor Samsung Corp philosophies on market share. (although kudos to them both for their recent patent share agreement) I guess my question is why are people so attracted to these new devices. 'cuz their new? 'cuz their cheap? Im genuinely curious to what the attraction is.

I can only speak for myself, but to me the main attraction is the price and performance combination. You can get a refurbished Acer C720 for less than $200 USD, and it comes with 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD, and an x86 (albeit gimped) Haswell processor. It's also very light (<3lbs) and gets great battery life (7-9 hrs).

In terms of hardware, I don't personally know of a Windows-based laptop out there that matches all those specs and price. Usually when you get down to this price range with Windows laptops, it has a slow mechanical hard drive and terrible battery life. The only comparable Windows-based machines are the recent Bay Trail Atom-based tablets (such as the Asus T100), but up until very recently it has been even more difficult to put Linux on Bay Trail Atom laptops.

#41 2014-02-03 03:23:40

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

@k0s, have you installed #! on the one you picked up (or is it still in pieces big_smile)? While there is some risk this method (via chroot) is more like a sideload (or, more of a persistent container session). But as for the steps on the user end it's not much more involved than a standard install, so wasn't really a hassle in my experience and looks to be much easier to restore back to defaults.

But as to the why- for myself, I already have a full desktop (well, two until one went to my husband recently) and at the same time needed something lightweight and portable that's more than a tablet (I prefer an actual keyboard) and less than an Ultrabook or full-sized laptop and at the right price. ChromeOS isn't that bad if you just want/need a net appliance (it reminds me of a fancier version of the old Neoware Netstations as far as functionality goes). But with this (as with those), sometimes you want more than the defaults.

Also, it's fun. :-)

#42 2014-02-15 22:19:21

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Hey all! I'm glad you've enjoyed the how-to. I've learned an absolute ton in the six-ish months since I wrote this guide, and I hope it still serves you well.

I actually *purchased* my C710 for the purpose of hacking into the thing. I grew up with Mac OS, and as I learned more about how to take advantage of the tool that is my computer, I became unbelievably paranoid about wrecking my MacBook. Then, I decided to buy a Chromebook so I'd have a bit of a playground to dig deep into the OS (as much as possible), explore shell scripting and programming, and to have a computer I severely don't care about breaking.

Now, since then, I've built a desktop tower that's running #!, and save my Mac for running Adobe CS and Final Cut. Everything else (statistical analysis in PSPP and R, writing papers in LibreOffice) is done on the Chromebook if I'm at school, or my own tower at home. If it weren't for the Chromebook, I would never have dove as deep into FOSS as I did. Working with this also gave me the confidence to start working in tech support, and study computer science.

Thanks, all, for keeping this alive, asking questions, and making recommendations. I'm learning tons along with you guys. smile

--

#43 2014-02-16 05:06:34

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Very cool, brandon_mn! It sounds like you had fun with it, learned stuff and the guide to do it is pretty great. Glad to read you built a desktop too!

- posted from my CrunchBook big_smile

#44 2014-02-19 23:29:16

gispeterson

you can quickly jump back and forth between chrome os and #! by holding  ctrl+alt+shift+f1 or f2  f1 taking you back to chrome and f2 back to #! or what ever chroot fun you may be running.

that is all.

#45 2014-02-27 19:59:45

gispeterson

just ran into my first big issue/bug

running command 'startx'
gives a fatal error of 'no screens found'

so, how do/can i reconfigure X?

#46 2014-03-01 17:18:10

av8n

@gispeterson:

I have the same problem as you. I don't know what to do. I asked the guys at crouton, but still waiting for a response.

If something changes, I'll update this forum regarding a solution.

Last edited by av8n (2014-03-01 17:18:36)

#47 2014-03-02 16:23:22

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Hey all! I've assembled a script to fix the issue. Check the next post for more info.

gispeterson and av8n:

I ran into the same issue recently. It seems to be related to a change Google made to Chrome OS that messes with the way that Crouton opens a new X screen. Does it sound anything like this? https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/issues/524

Before you go any further, first try out the steps listed here to download a new version of Crouton and update your chroot: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton#a- … te-and-sad

If not, proceed to the next bit, which describes a way to update the chroot by adding an lxde target, removing some unnecessary bits, and then linking the lxde executables to the CrunchBang ones you used before.

Please note that I haven't tried this -- I spawned a new chroot yesterday, just after I encountered the same issue you all did. I know that creating new chroots may not always be your first choice, especially after using a highly-customized one. That's why I'm offering this as an option that you can investigate. As always, please back up any important data before you get going. If you run into problems, or locate improvements, please let me know.

Ok, here goes:
First, delete the old version of the Crouton script in your ~/Downloads folder, and get the new one from here: http://goo.gl/fd3zc

Then, run the command:
sudo ~/Downloads/crouton -t lxde -n {insert the name of your chroot here} -u

This will add the lxde target to your chroot. If you like, you can make sure everything will work by executing startlxde from the chronos@localhost prompt. If you see an lxde desktop, you're on your way!

From here, we'll need to make some adjustments to restore the functionality you're used to. Instead of using startx, we'll be editing the chroot's openbox-lxde file so it calls the CrunchBang version of openbox, and not the lxde one.  Then, you'll be able to use the startlxde command from the chronos@localhost prompt to launch your familiar CrunchBang environment.

If you have pressing questions, shoot me an email or tweet, and I'll do my best to answer in real time.
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your input, and happy CrunchBooking!

Brandon

PS: I do have a new version of the guide in the works, one that will make it so this kind of tomfoolery is no longer necessary (I hope). Stay tuned!

Last edited by brandon_mn (2014-03-02 19:26:34)

--

#48 2014-03-02 19:40:40

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Fixing "No Screens Found" errors

It looks like, according to Crouton Issue #524, there's an issue that may break my original CrunchBook guide. Below is a (tested) outline for a new guide, and an (untested) fix for existing chroots.

Unfortunately, I wiped my Chromebook and started fresh, so I do not have indication that the fix for old chroots has worked yet. I'm trying to get a broken chroot going right now, and I'll update you as things progress.

As always, these are suggestions, and by executing this code you take sole responsibility for its results.

1. For Old Chroots:
Update your Chroot with the LXDE target:

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -u -t lxde -r wheezy -n {nameOfChroot}

You may want to test out the lxde update to ensure StartX is working again (even if it's a different environment -- we're getting there).

Then, from inside the chroot: backup the old lxde executable, and create a symbolic link from the CrunchBang openbox executable with the same name as the lxde one:

sudo mv /usr/bin/openbox-lxde /usr/bin/openbox-lxde.backup &&
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/openbox-session /usr/bin/openbox-lxde

If all went well, logging out of the chroot, and using sudo startlxde at the chronos@localhost command prompt should get you into CrunchBang like before. I can't promise that any custom configs will work out-of-the-box, but they certainly shouldn't be deleted. If you run into any troubles, please let me know, and I'd be happy to work with you to sort them out in whatever small way I can.

2. For New Chroots:

We'll start out with Crouton as usual, but running a slightly different command:

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t lxde -r wheezy

From here, we'll enter the chroot and download and run JohnRaff's cb-netinstall script.

Next, we'll enter two lines of Bash commands to jerryrig the scripts to start CrunchBang's openbox session instead of LXDE's:

sudo mv /usr/bin/openbox-lxde /usr/bin/openbox-lxde.backup &&
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/openbox-session /usr/bin/openbox-lxde

**Note: both of these methods install a ton of unnecessary stuff. I ran a "sudo apt-get purge lxde" and "sudo apt-get autoremove," and that seemed to do away with most of the silliness, but YMMV.

Last edited by brandon_mn (2014-03-03 12:37:47)

--

#49 2014-03-03 05:59:40

Neuro

Hey there brandon_mn,

firstly thank you so much for this guide, I have been using it for ages now, but I too cant run startx anymore, and I was trying to follow your guide on how to fix it, but after running

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -u -t lxde -n wheezy

I get this

/usr/local/chroots/wheezy already exists; updating it...
Unable to determine the release in /usr/local/chroots/wheezy. Please specify it with -r.

What should I do?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#50 2014-03-03 12:37:12

brandon_mn
#! Member
Website

Neuro wrote:

I was trying to follow your guide on how to fix it, but after running

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -u -t lxde -n wheezy

I get this

/usr/local/chroots/wheezy already exists; updating it...
Unable to determine the release in /usr/local/chroots/wheezy. Please specify it with -r.

What should I do?

If you only have the one chroot, I would run the command

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -u -t lxde -r wheezy

and see where that gets you. If it still misbehaves, give

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -u -t lxde -r wheezy -n wheezy

a go. Unfortunately, the Crouton commands can be a bit finicky (or, at least, I'm not terribly skilled with their syntax at the moment wink).

Thanks for testing this out -- I'll update the original post to reflect the changes in the command. I'm really glad you like the guide, as well! It's unfortunate that it broke so suddenly and without warning. That said, I'm right there with you guys -- we'll figure out how to get it back up and running together!

Note 1: Unfortunately, I tried to get a broken chroot running on a USB drive (I need my main chroot for schoolwork at the moment, and it's using most of my disk space), but I'm having some trouble getting it to install properly. I'm not certain if/when I'll be able to test a broken chroot to see if this repair option works, so please let me know what happens.

Note 2: It looks like our modifications to the wheezy chroot with the cb-netinstall script might be messing with the innards such that the Crouton script no longer recognizes it as wheezy. You may need to try to force the update by adding a second "-u" to the command above.

Last edited by brandon_mn (2014-03-03 14:37:23)

--

Board footer