SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-07-10 01:50:14

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

Re: Pulling the plug on Facebook

JeremyR wrote:

I'm also preparing my move away from Google.  I found myself too reliant on many of the services and of course, the popular privacy issues...

Let me know if you need any help when the time comes. I did just that about a year ago, and haven't looked back since.

JWJones wrote:

I also dumped Dropbox last week. It uses a ridiculous amount of resources (to me, anyway) on both Linux and Mac. And unless you encrypt the files you put there, the security sucks. In the meantime, I keep the files I used to keep there on the 10GB of storage I have with my ISP, via FTP. Works just fine for me.

How is that arrangement working out for you?

I store most of the files I want to share on a home FTP server. I also store a few things with Fastmail - I have a Personal Enhanced account which works very nicely for the purpose.

I hope to someday purchase a Linode and store everything that way, but that's something for the future.

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2013-07-10 01:52:45)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-07-10 07:43:07

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

I need help to give up Google too. GMail and Blogger mainly. GMail has a lot of space I need for my inbox, and Blogger works fine for my blog, but I'm tired of Google.

#28 2013-07-10 12:41:15

hinto
#! Windbag

Joshua wrote:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#29 2013-07-10 15:56:53

JWJones
#! Member

hinto wrote:
Joshua wrote:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

-Hinto

No... Global Thermonuclear War, please. wink

#30 2013-07-10 15:59:46

JWJones
#! Member

antiv0rtex wrote:

How is that arrangement working out for you?

It works just great for my needs: keeping files I access often in a place where I can get to them easily, from any computer with an internet connection, and for files-in-transit. Easy peasy.

#31 2013-07-10 16:13:54

JWJones
#! Member

GekkoP wrote:

I need help to give up Google too. GMail and Blogger mainly. GMail has a lot of space I need for my inbox, and Blogger works fine for my blog, but I'm tired of Google.

The EFF website Prism Break has a great rundown of various options for many things:

https://prism-break.org/

#32 2013-07-10 16:21:54

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

Thank you, JeremyR wrote me about that website too.  smile

#33 2013-07-10 23:52:41

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

GekkoP wrote:

I would be happy to help you as well. smile

#34 2013-07-11 04:34:04

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

schwim wrote:

If you're looking for more space than the measly amount dropbox gives you, check out Copy. If you use the link provided, you get 20GB to start with.

I've given up on the Copy service.  There have been too many times that the share link I got from sharing a file didn't work.  I'll stick with my paid ASUS web storage service.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#35 2013-07-13 09:36:56

Beepmode

I quit Facebook a couple of years ago and can confirm it's much easier than giving up smoking. Using a content blocker (to get rid off those 'Like' buttons that pollute just about every other web site) helps.

#36 2013-07-13 12:12:52

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

i tried ..(honestly).. to pull THE plug (except g+). my friends never seems to understand what  decentralization means and how it protects privacy.
for sake of them, i'm still using it

#37 2013-07-24 07:08:12

tmillic
#! CrunchBanger

I know this is 11 days since the last post, but I've been far too busy socializing to log in as often as I should have.  (I don't use irony as humor very well. sorry if I made you cringe.)

I dropped Facebook around January. The stress from the crazy relatives' posts was causing a lot of problems, yet it's considered a form of evil to not like your family, even if they are crazies, meth-addicts, and criminals. Sadly, once leaving facebook, it's the far-away friends I have less frequent contact with while family always knows how to reach you whether you want them to or not.

On the up side, I've been interacting a lot more in person with people without having to endure whatever extremist propaganda or current Kardashian gossip is going around. I'd rather hang out over beers with my friends in person and talk about stuff that's actually worth talking about. That's just how it should be.

#38 2013-07-24 08:41:26

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Personally I'm sort of forced to use Facebook as its the best way to interact with one of the groups of clients I have (mostly magazine editors). They'll add anyone and if you say you've met they will just assume they where too drunk to remember. Sneaky but it works.

G+ I'm hooked to. I mean the amount of people I know there is huge and its so much more active than both Facebook and Twitter. I have essentially four main circles: Nerds, Lefties, Linux and Illustrators. Brilliant - its like one long "Shop-talk"

But all that said I spend too much time in forums (whether its here, G+, Facebook or anywhere else) its become a distraction from work so I wanna try to give myself like times of the day when I am allowed to go check up on it. Just to cut down you know=?

>>>I draw pretty pictures for a living!<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>#! Animal<<<<<<<<<<<<

Board footer