SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#351 2013-07-06 09:18:06

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Fitness/ health.

As the title is Fitness/Health, thought I'd leave a comment.
Nearly all of my life I have cycled & walked, for both pleasure & transport.
I had my youthful exuberances, like you do, but eventually gave up smoking & drinking, & am now returning to cycling after an enforced layoff of several years.
It is hard to get back your fitness when you get older, (I'm 62), & injuries take longer to mend, but it is worth all the effort, because it makes you feel so much better.

@mariannemarlow - hope everything works out for you.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#352 2013-07-07 04:44:40

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

fatmac wrote:

It is hard to get back your fitness when you get older, (I'm 62), & injuries take longer to mend, but it is worth all the effort, because it makes you feel so much better.

Especially when start hitting that age.  I admire you for making the decision to better yourself at this stage of your life.  Best wishes.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#353 2013-07-07 05:18:17

djweber

I typically walk or ride my bike to school, and some days I'll go for a bit of a joyride once I'm off. I'm trying to switch to a healthier diet as well. I've had phases of healthy eating during my time at university (5 years so far), but I've also had (probably more) phases of eating absolute muck. Having just turned 23, I should probably start being mindful of how much junk meals and snacks I eat.

#354 2013-07-07 08:45:16

fatmac
#! Die Hard

KrunchTime wrote:

I admire you for making the decision to better yourself at this stage of your life.  Best wishes.

Thanks, KrunchTime.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#355 2013-08-16 06:17:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Turing Test:  Welcome to CrunchBang, DonnaWallace!  How do you feel about the SLiM login manager?

EDIT:  As I suspected; a spam link was added.  The offending post has been deleted and the account banned.  "Nothing to see here' move along."

"Thank you for your cooperation." cool

Last edited by pvsage (2013-08-18 23:53:23)

#356 2013-08-16 08:39:34

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

DonnaWallace wrote:

What is akido? is it a type of martial art? I suffer from mild back and shoulder pain so will it cure it ?

Aikido is a Japanese martial art, akin to Judo or Jiu-Jitsu (a grappling martial art). No, it won't cure your pain. Being a grappling sport, it will probably make it worse.
For back pain, I'd recommend yoga, or tai-chi-chuan.

#357 2013-08-16 15:09:08

hashbanger
#! CrunchBanger

I'm a dev. I don't need fitness.

FreeBSD | OpenBSD | Windows. Randomly lurking.
Decentralized #! eD2k/Kad mirror.

#358 2013-08-16 16:59:36

jmad2011
#! Junkie

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
DonnaWallace wrote:

What is akido? is it a type of martial art? I suffer from mild back and shoulder pain so will it cure it ?

Aikido is a Japanese martial art, akin to Judo or Jiu-Jitsu (a grappling martial art). No, it won't cure your pain. Being a grappling sport, it will probably make it worse.
For back pain, I'd recommend yoga, or tai-chi-chuan.

i heaqr akido i think steven segal who is actully a master

Say your prayer's,Eat your vitamins....AND WHAT YOU GONNA DO BROTHA

#359 2013-08-16 20:07:05

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

jmad2011 wrote:

i heaqr akido i think steven segal who is actully a master

Yep. He's a seventh dan, and owned several dojos, in Japan and in the US.

#360 2013-08-21 17:51:26

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

Anyone tried fasting?  It's all the rage now, apparently it can cure numerous illnesses and you also get to live forever LOL,  don't know why I'm amused - I'm doing it, although in a very small, namby pamby way.

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

#361 2013-08-21 19:11:31

mbemboom
#! CrunchBanger

I've been doing "Intermittent Fasting" for several years now.  This is just periodically not eating, for example a couple of times a week I won't eat anything from one evening meal until the next evening, approx 24 hours.  It works well for me and makes sense too.  I think it is healthy to be hungry once in a while and humans are the only animal that frequently eats when we aren't actually hungry.  It makes more sense to me than eating just because it is  a certain time of the day whether you are hungry or not.

ChickenPie4Tea wrote:

Anyone tried fasting?  It's all the rage now, apparently it can cure numerous illnesses and you also get to live forever LOL,  don't know why I'm amused - I'm doing it, although in a very small, namby pamby way.

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. "  - The Dude

#362 2013-08-21 19:51:30

Iranon
#! Junkie

Fasting: did it a few times, just water for 10 days to 2 weeks (target was 2 weeks, cut it short once because my it didn't work well with my exercise regimen).

Health benefits are somewhat dubious, I did out of curiosity once and then because I enjoyed the experience. Getting less fun as the novelty wears off though - first time, everything smelled yummy and I could tell what was in someone's lunchbox as soon as they opened it.

Still good at breaking out of questionable habits and becoming more conscious of food.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#363 2013-08-22 09:16:59

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

re Intermittent Fasting, I've been doing it for a couple of months now, the way I do it it's basically just going without breakfast twice a week smile   I have my evening meal over by 7 then no more food till 1pm the next day.  It's supposed to be great for people who tend to have too high a blood sugar level and for folk with high cholesterol and a few other things.  As far as I know my blood sugar and cholesterol were fine, it just seemed like a good thing to do now and then.

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

#364 2013-09-21 09:38:04

Jack Frost

Digging up the thread, cause you can't have enough of health...
Started doing pull-ups, running, and trying to do a L-sit. And then, when I can do it, I can starting pumping L-sit-pullups. That's the plan anyway  wink
I try to avoid sugar, salt, and fat as much as possible. And not sucking on those cancer sticks (had a 7 day smoke-free streak, which I broke, now on day 2).

But running and good diet -> holy #! does that make one feel good.

@iranon: 10 days!! that's impressive. Did you survive? How much weight did you lose?

http://technolust.neocities.org
Lvl 3 code monkey; Lvl 0.3 lunix user; Lvl 30 bullshit detector;

#365 2013-09-21 21:42:32

stolid
#! CrunchBanger

Jack Frost wrote:

I try to avoid sugar, salt, and fat as much as possible. And not sucking on those cancer sticks (had a 7 day smoke-free streak, which I broke, now on day 2).

But running and good diet -> holy #! does that make one feel good.

I think the whole low-fat craze is misguided (not to mention in processed foods, it means they put even worse things in there to replace it...). Sugar is 10x worse. Man can't live on purely fiber and protein, or at least he shouldn't. I'll agree that exercise and good diet is essential though, more so the exercise part imo. I eat a somewhat healthy diet, but I eat the occasional sweet too. I don't worry about clogging my arteries from butter and bacon so long as I continue to get the blood pumping once in awhile (running). That said, I do try to eat copious amounts of chicken, fish, and broccoli, but I still eat pasta and such. Compared to the trans fats that managed to make it into processed food, saturated fat dripping off a nice piece of meat isn't all that bad for you (within reason).

Registered Linux User #555399
crunchbox:     Phenom II X6 1055T | 8GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Radeon 7870XT | Win7 / #! 11 (i3 WM)
lambdacore:     4x Opteron 8431 | 16GB RAM | 2x1TB mirrored (ZFSoL) | Debian 7 (headless)
crunchtop:     Acer Aspire 1410 11.6" | 2GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB | #! 11 (i3 WM)

#366 2013-09-21 22:46:30

Penny

Gymnastics!  First it was "tumbling."  Now it's the vault, the uneven bars, the beam, and the floor!
http://gymnastics.about.com/od/gymnasti … ensgym.htm
about 4-6 hours a day.

Last edited by Penny (2013-09-21 22:47:26)

#367 2013-09-22 00:20:38

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

I simply walk, I'll walk from point A to point B and back, and sometimes I'll even do it Twice or even three times a day. Satisfying for me anyways.

Last edited by CSCoder4ever (2013-09-22 00:21:24)

#368 2013-09-22 05:37:24

superwow
#! Member

I have worked out and done cardio for years. For me it is for stress reduction, feeling better, not some muscle thing. Currently w/o 2-3x/wk in my garage with free weights, normally bar, dumb, kettle bell stuff. Run 8 mi 2x/wk, erg 2-3x/wk, bike 20-40 mi once a week. I have a chain gym membership but considering canceling it because it is always super full and their machines are less than optimal.

Diet is extremely important, which I have always known but never appreciated as much as recently. I am on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Anecdotally, for my n=1, it totally works and improvement in my icky medical conditions are immediate and drastic. On the weight ~ diet side, I lost 18 lbs in the first 2 months. No lie. And I am NOT a generally overweight fellow. Lean, however, is not a word I have been called for some many years lol and now it is what I am called. Boom. Instant. People notice even when I don't. Plus I eat a ton of the permitted foods. I have always been a major vegetable fan so it is not a big issue for me: loads of pumpkin, squash (just tried delicata, very nice), tomatoes, cucumbers, and creativity. Plus all the sugar and processing in foods now make them, not really food anyway but scientificness.

Sadly no beer no more sad And I miss pumpernickel, rye, and triscuits sad And a lot of things. Arg.

But heck if you are interested in losing weight and don't mind a super persnickity diet, try it out: Specific Carbohydrate Diet (official site)

Just like Jack_Frost and stolid, I say even if you just drop grains, sugar, and processed foods, you'd benefit with unknown pounds shed. And feel a lot better. I do.

Board footer