SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-24 16:08:15

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

[SOLVED] Aptitude Full-Upgrade Adds a Number of Gnome Pkgs - Why?

I performed an aptitude full-upgrade earlier today on one of my laptops and a number of Gnome packages were installed.  I was wondering why.  I'm tracking Sid.

aptitude_full_upgrade_20130624_01.jpg

Following are the contents of my /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: *
Pin: release a=waldorf
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-07-05 23:03:48)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-24 17:13:17

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Aptitude Full-Upgrade Adds a Number of Gnome Pkgs - Why?

^ Do you have Experimental in your sources as well?

I have seen this when there are issues with the SID servers not connecting correctly and with Experimental enabled (and found in the apt-get update) there will be an entire update from Experimental if allowed

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#3 2013-06-24 18:17:10

iann
#! Die Hard

I'm not sure about aptitude, but you might get some clues from using apt-get with the -V option.  At least you'll know where it thinks those packages are coming from.

#4 2013-06-24 18:44:37

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

^ Do you have Experimental in your sources as well?

I have seen this when there are issues with the SID servers not connecting correctly and with Experimental enabled (and found in the apt-get update) there will be an entire update from Experimental if allowed

No, I only have Unstable in my sources.

@iann:  Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-06-24 18:52:42)

Linux User #586672

#5 2013-06-24 18:53:08

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Aye, it was an outside pitch that missed... I did not think you had them enabled but wanted to check

I dev VSIDO

#6 2013-06-24 21:46:11

snowpine
#!-a-roo

If you are going to run Debian unstable then you *must* expect and be prepared for weirdness like this.

Your question sounds similar to this discussion: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27309

ps #! Waldorf repo is not tested/intended for use with Sid. Combine them at your own risk.

/hugged

#7 2013-06-24 22:35:31

lowrider
#! Die Hard

Ay as snowpine mentioned tracking sid sometimes is a hard one to play wink
Seems the package gnome-bluetooth nowadays throws in a lot of gnome3 stuff.
Weird i say, but i don't need no bluetooth support and a simple

sudo apt-get purge gnome-bluetooth

followd by

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

solved it for me.
Thx @ew for "betatesting"  tongue

Last edited by lowrider (2013-06-24 22:37:59)

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#8 2013-06-24 22:40:42

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ That all depends on what you are running...  I have been tracking SID for 4 years and have yet to see any gnome3 garbage or any of the supposed SID headaches

I dev VSIDO

#9 2013-06-24 22:45:03

ew
#! Die Hard

lowrider wrote:

Ay as snowpine mentioned tracking sid sometimes is a hard one to play wink
Seems the package gnome-bluetooth nowadays throws in a lot of gnome3 stuff.
Weird i say, but i don't need no bluetooth support and a simple

sudo apt-get purge gnome-bluetooth

followd by

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

solved it for me.
Thx @ew for "betatesting"  tongue

Hehe, yes, your procedure seems a bit easier:)))

- apt-mark hold account

#10 2013-06-28 15:34:50

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

snowpine wrote:

If you are going to run Debian unstable then you *must* expect and be prepared for weirdness like this.

Your question sounds similar to this discussion: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27309

ps #! Waldorf repo is not tested/intended for use with Sid. Combine them at your own risk.

I have the Waldorf repo commented out in my /etc/apt/sources.list file, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So, looking at the whole thread, I'm to understand that just because I had a gnome-bluetooth package installed, somehow the update algorithms decide that I somehow want all of the Gnome3 packages as well.  That doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me.

Now when I select Sid from GRUB, my laptop boots into a Gnome3 desktop and selecting Openbox from the desktop selector (?) in lightdm has no effect.  I knew when I started using Sid to expect breakage, but this is ridiculous.

Linux User #586672

#11 2013-06-28 15:38:08

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

I had the EXACT same issue when I went to use XFCE with my newest Sid/Exp install that I did today.
apt-get autoremove --purge gnome worked wonders.

#12 2013-06-28 18:52:21

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

DebianJoe wrote:

I had the EXACT same issue when I went to use XFCE with my newest Sid/Exp install that I did today.
apt-get autoremove --purge gnome worked wonders.

Thanks, but I think I'll try lowrider's suggestion first, albeit the aptitude way.  I have gnome-system-monitor installed and I use it, so I'm afraid your suggestion might remove that package as well.

Linux User #586672

#13 2013-06-28 19:02:09

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

KrunchTime wrote:

Thanks, but I think I'll try lowrider's suggestion first, albeit the aptitude way.  I have gnome-system-monitor installed and I use it, so I'm afraid your suggestion might remove that package as well.

It probably would.  Mine is more for anecdotal evidence of an issue than anything.

#14 2013-06-29 01:12:27

hhh
Cityspeak

KrunchTime wrote:

I have gnome-system-monitor installed and I use it, so I'm afraid your suggestion might remove that package as well.

It might remove it, but it doesn't look like it will pull gnome-shell in if you reinstall it...
http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome-system-monitor

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#15 2013-06-29 10:28:02

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:
KrunchTime wrote:

I have gnome-system-monitor installed and I use it, so I'm afraid your suggestion might remove that package as well.

It might remove it, but it doesn't look like it will pull gnome-shell in if you reinstall it...
http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome-system-monitor

Thanks!

Linux User #586672

#16 2013-06-29 11:39:39

ew
#! Die Hard

Strange things happen, but that`s the charm with Sid. It forces us to go to the root of the issues and that way we learn new things, however ridiculous the issue might be....

Another strange thing for me, is that I installed Debian Wheezy a couple of days ago, which came with gnome3, which was intended, so no problems with that. But when I tried to remove Libreoffice, it removed Gnome all together. As Libreoffice is a part of Gnome3, apt regards Gnome as not complete without it, and therefore trigger the removal of Gnome all together. Quite funny:)))

- apt-mark hold account

#17 2013-06-29 14:07:54

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

Another strange thing for me, is that I installed Debian Wheezy a couple of days ago, which came with gnome3, which was intended, so no problems with that. But when I tried to remove Libreoffice, it removed Gnome all together. As Libreoffice is a part of Gnome3, apt regards Gnome as not complete without it, and therefore trigger the removal of Gnome all together. Quite funny:)))

Did you not know after entering the command to remove LibreOffice that Gnome would also be removed?  I just looked through all of the options for apt-get and I didn't see anything that let's you know what pkgs the remove/purge command will remove.  Aptitude has the -P option so you can cancel the action if something weird is going to happen.

Linux User #586672

#18 2013-06-29 21:10:54

ew
#! Die Hard

KrunchTime wrote:
ew wrote:

Did you not know after entering the command to remove LibreOffice that Gnome would also be removed?  I just looked through all of the options for apt-get and I didn't see anything that let's you know what pkgs the remove/purge command will remove.  Aptitude has the -P option so you can cancel the action if something weird is going to happen.

Nope, if I remember it correctly I went ahead removing Libreoffice, and thought everything was fine, until I got something like this: (not the actual list, just copied it from someone else that had the same issue) Anyway, I was able to revert everything, so no damage to my system:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
aisleriot ant ant-optional argyll browser-plugin-gnash cheese file-roller fonts-sil-gentium fonts-sil-gentium-basic gdebi gedit gedit-common
gedit-plugins gir1.2-gdata-0.0 gir1.2-gnomekeyring-1.0 gir1.2-goa-1.0 gir1.2-gtop-2.0 gir1.2-gucharmap-2.90 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 gir1.2-rb-3.0
gir1.2-tracker-0.14 gir1.2-webkit-3.0 glchess glines gnash gnash-common gnect gnibbles gnobots2 gnome-color-manager gnome-documents gnome-games
gnome-games-data gnome-games-extra-data gnome-nettool gnome-shell-extensions gnome-sudoku gnome-tweak-tool gnome-video-effects gnomine gnotravex gnotski
gnuchess gnuchess-book grilo-plugins-0.1 gtali guile-2.0-libs iagno inkscape iputils-tracepath libapache-pom-java libblas3gf libbonoboui2-0
libbonoboui2-common libboost-program-options1.49.0 libboost-thread1.49.0 libcolamd2.7.1 libcommons-beanutils-java libcommons-collections3-java
libcommons-compress-java libcommons-digester-java libcommons-logging-java libcommons-parent-java libdb-java libdb-je-java libdb5.1-java libdb5.1-java-jni
libdee-1.0-4 libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libgexiv2-1 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-common libgpod-common libgpod4 libgrilo-0.1-0
libgupnp-av-1.0-2 libgupnp-dlna-1.0-2 libhsqldb-java libicc2 libicu4j-java libimdi0 libjline-java libjtidy-java liblinear-tools liblinear1
liblucene2-java libmagick++5 libminiupnpc5 libnatpmp1 libplot2c2 libpstoedit0c2a libraw5 libregexp-java librhythmbox-core6
libservlet2.5-java libsofia-sip-ua-glib3 libsofia-sip-ua0 libsvm-tools libvisio-0.0-0 libwnck-common libwnck22 libwpd-0.9-9 libwpg-0.2-2 libwps-0.2-2
libxz-java lightsoff lp-solve mahjongg minissdpd nmap perlmagick pstoedit python-gconf python-mako python-markupsafe python-pyorbit python-uno
python-wnck python-zeitgeist quadrapassel rhythmbox rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins rygel rygel-playbin rygel-preferences
rygel-tracker seahorse shotwell shotwell-common simple-scan sound-juicer swell-foop telepathy-rakia transmission-common transmission-gtk
ttf-sil-gentium-basic unoconv xdg-user-dirs-gtk xul-ext-adblock-plus zeitgeist-core
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

- apt-mark hold account

#19 2013-06-30 20:30:45

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

@KrunchTime: Maybe it seems ridiculous to you but I am sure it is your configuration. I agree with VastOne, never saw crap like this happening. You should also stay away from Gnome apps, these days they require often half of the Gnome desktop, of course not all of them.
Sometimes on Sid, it is just time for a coffee break if the output from your terminal window looks scary and after some days it looks already better and proceed with the upgrade.

#20 2013-06-30 23:37:13

ew
#! Die Hard

ivanovnegro wrote:

@KrunchTime: Maybe it seems ridiculous to you but I am sure it is your configuration. I agree with VastOne, never saw crap like this happening. You should also stay away from Gnome apps, these days they require often half of the Gnome desktop, of course not all of them.
Sometimes on Sid, it is just time for a coffee break if the output from your terminal window looks scary and after some days it looks already better and proceed with the upgrade.

It`s not his configuration that causes apt to want to install almost the entire gnome-enviroment just to upgrade gnome-bluetooth... If you somehow have disabled these packages before, then you obviously will not encounter this issue. But nobody of us have installed gnome-bluetooth to start with. It has to come with the default Waldorf-install, or of course, there is a slight chance that it has come as a dependency to something other that we have installed. When upgrading from Wheezy to Sid, there is lots of packages that will be upgraded, and new ones installed, and there probably are quite a few of us who just accepts the entire list without reading it:)

Anyway, no harm done to my CB-install, and hopefully not to other users who has encountered this issue either. This was indeed a strange issue, and not something with Krunchtimes configuration. Sid doesn`t break much for me either, and this wasn`t a breakage, it was just a strange dependency-issue.

- apt-mark hold account

#21 2013-06-30 23:54:51

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Yes, with configuration I mean everything installed on your system and beyond. smile

#22 2013-06-30 23:57:30

ew
#! Die Hard

ivanovnegro wrote:

Yes, with configuration I mean everything installed on your system and beyond. smile

OK, Then I can`t argue with you. You`re spot on:)

- apt-mark hold account

#23 2013-07-01 00:09:27

pidsley
Window Mangler

KrunchTime wrote:

I just looked through all of the options for apt-get and I didn't see anything that let's you know what pkgs the remove/purge command will remove.

From the apt-get man page:

-s, --simulate, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon, --no-act
    No action. Perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not actually change the system.

In addition, when you apt-get remove or install anything, if the action involves a sizeable amount of installation or removal, you are shown what will be installed or removed and then asked "do you want to continue?"

% sudo apt-get remove pcmanfm
[sudo] password for pidsley: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libfm-data libfm-gtk-bin libfm-gtk1 libfm1 libgd2-xpm libmenu-cache1 lxmenu-data
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pcmanfm
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1,253 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 

Last edited by pidsley (2013-07-01 00:16:38)

#24 2013-07-02 18:29:31

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@ivanovnegro:  You have a point about taking a coffee break.  I'll do that, especially when breakage is noted.  I probably should have waited before going ahead with the full-upgrade; lesson learned the hard way.

@ew:  No, I always read the list of changes that will take place when performing a full-upgrade.  Now I will admit that I don't always understand everything that is going to be performed.

@pidsley:  Thanks for the excellent clarification.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-07-02 18:30:13)

Linux User #586672

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2013-07-02 21:26:58

ew
#! Die Hard

KrunchTime wrote:

@ew:  No, I always read the list of changes that will take place when performing a full-upgrade.  Now I will admit that I don't always understand everything that is going to be performed.

Good for you. I have to admit that when there are 3-400 packages that are installed/upgraded, I tend to just accept it without reading trough the entire list:)

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer