SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#2476 2013-06-16 00:36:27

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

these days, besides my raspbian for my raspberry pi, i'm not actually doing any distro surfing at all... i download iso, i occasionally get as far as putting them on pendrive... and then i do nothing.  ... i liken this to the ex smoker who holds an unlit cig to their mouth and puffs on it, still unlit.

...  though, i dont think one can get cancer (and the rest) from distroholism.

Be excellent to each other!

#2477 2013-06-16 01:33:49

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

codingman wrote:

I'm back to hopping! I'm going to be trying Slackware next! Maybe Semplice, but I'd really want to get dirty with Linux. Are there any good distros for that purpose?

After that, i'll be trying CentOS.

hrmmm, dirty you say...  how dirty?  porteus? papug? hadron? dragora? exherbo? make your own and get it using guix for the package manager?  stali?  bedrock?? hurd???  dragonfly bsd?   not too sure if i'm on the right page for the same definition of getting dirty in this context. 

i tip my hat to those who suggested crux.  :)

sqlpython wrote:
codingman wrote:

I am currently using Arch, so next would be ?Slackware?

I wouldn't qualify myself to Defacto answer that one  :|
What I can say having installed and modified both multiple times is it is a matter of personal choice.
Slackware is the Old Guard the survivor the Original the Stable
Arch is  more of the Nuovo the Rolling Release the bleeding edge..
They Both install packages from Source or Ebuilds
  They are different and sometimes the Same..
You really gotta try each to see where your Distro satisfaction finds itself.
I do like them both.

ebuilds!?

i thought that was a gentoo-specific term.  is it also a generic term for those sorts of build scripts?

codingman wrote:

Woohoo! I'm with Slackware and I'm loving it! The only problem is that, when I am trying to install LibreOffice using rpm -ivc *.rpm in the folder of the download, it installs everything except for a few. Here is the error message:
error: Failed dependencies:
        libfreetype.so.6()(64bit) is needed by libobasis4.0-core04-4.0.2.2-2.x86_64
        libgnomevfs-2.so.0()(64bit) is needed by libobasis4.0-gnome-integration-4.0.2.2-2.x86_64
        libgconf-2.so.4()(64bit) is needed by libobasis4.0-gnome-integration-4.0.2.2-2.x86_64

As well as the fact that they are not in the repos, and imagine how hard it is to find those crazy files on the internet.

slackware and rpm.  heh... isnt that like a proto-suse?  ;)   slackware users, be like real man, and if that's too big an ask, then slackbuilds.org, and if that's too much for you, then slapt-get.

... my mum insisted i go to church until i was high-school age...  then i could choose.  i'm going to do that with my kids (if ever have any), and slackware.  i wont deny them the use of other operating systems and distros, but for one morning a week, they'd hafta be using slack.  ^_^   learning is good.

PackRat wrote:

@Ivan - I liked SalixOS a lot when I tried it, but yes, their package manager gets pretty slow some days.

Been trying out Calculate live USB. Pretty good distro and tempting to install, but installing a pre-configured Gentoo system seems to go against the grain of using Gentoo in the first place.

if you feel like taking a step closer to gentoo, try toorox. 

toorox is very little else, other than a very nicely pre-configured gentoo (does use some KNOPPIX lice cd voodoo tho). 

sabayon used to be like that... but then it got big ideas about making its own binary package manager, which just shows how much they'd abandoned any pretence of going the gentoo way (still glad they exist though).   

calculate is kinda in between.  it has some less glitsy, less complete, binary package stuff going on... but it is all a bit krunky.  solid enough system that i was happily using it as my main os on my main computer for that long though, so couldnt have been THAT krunky.  ;)

as one of my projects, i spent the better part of a year converting my calculate install back(?) into a more pure gentoo.   for a similar level of resulting "purity of gentoo" system, i could have been done in an afternoon in toorox, including compile time.  papug showed promise, liberte is a bit niche, and the rest arent so much worth mentioning anymore.   ...  where are the other good preconfigured gentoos hiding... i know they're out there, i catch glimpses of them...

heh, maybe i should try the official one...  :O~

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O 64bit!   how long could we have been having 64bit CRUX!?   oh.  back then.

... so... NOW  basically.   wheeeee!   ok, scrap my previous post... this is one i shall have to be going for.   yay!   i'm gonna get dirtaaaaay!   CRUX BABY! SO GLAD YOU CAME AND JOINED US ON 64BIT~  sry, got a bit carried away there in the excitement, started shouting....   i'll be quiet now.       ~rest of catching up postponed on account of crux.

#2478 2013-06-16 16:43:29

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I think I belong here to.

I'm coming from the Android world and used to flash tons of ROMs and it wasn't unusual that my phone was only partially working.
However Android devs gotten much better since then and I only buy Nexus devices anyway which already solves nearly all the problems. In addition I'm now part of one of those development groups, Slimroms that is.
This helped a great deal because I need to have the latest Slim build running in order to be able to give proper support.
I can certainly check out the other ROMs now and then but not as much as before.

However as a side effect of getting involved with Slim was that I had to work more with Linux. I've already seen it a bit (mostly Ubuntu) because  I'm very attracted by the open source concept and I was never really happy with Windows.
So now I had to seriously work with it and therefore had my old laptop permanently running Ubuntu.

Then I got myself a new laptop and decided that I don't like or need Windows 8 on it. So I installed as well Ubuntu on it. Then came 13.04 and I felt like I had to move on. Luckily my search for a main distro came quickly to an end after ca. 2 weeks and 20 distros.
#! was just love at the first sight.

I'm still testing a lot of them though. My favourite ways are virtualbox for the quick look and a 64 GB USB 3.0 stick to see how it runs on my hardware. If I want to go more serious with it there's still a second hard drive in my desktop.

However #! has it's own little addictions in all the tweaking you can do.

#2479 2013-06-16 16:53:12

intoCB
Scatweasel

Back on Fedora (MATE). I tried to keep away but I guess I just find yum too yummy.

#2480 2013-06-20 23:22:06

ew
#! Die Hard

Just installed LM-15_mate, and it`s a very pleasant experience. I tried to use it as a Windows-user would, by using the gui`s for everything, and there is no doubt in my mind that this is the most user-friendly linux-release to date. No need to know a single linux-command. I would highly recommend LM-Olivia with Mate as a introduction-level to linux. Most Windows-users will have a easier time in LM than in W8, that`s for sure.

I`ll keep it for a while:)

- apt-mark hold account

#2481 2013-06-20 23:48:18

pidsley
Window Mangler

Ubuntu 13.04 net install.

2013_06_20_164628_1280x1024_scrot.jpg

#2482 2013-06-21 05:31:22

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

That's what I'm playing with atm. I want to "port" Crunchbang to it.
Worked quite well so far but I struggle a bit with creating a live CD image.

#2483 2013-06-24 20:38:31

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

First look at Oracle's Linux... running it in a VM on VSIDO, yum and gnome2 on a Btrfs file system

screenshot-06242013-033509pm.php

Not bad...

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#2484 2013-06-24 21:01:51

hinto
#! Windbag

Running SolydK at the moment.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#2485 2013-06-24 23:14:21

ew
#! Die Hard

OK. I see that Peppermint FOUR is out. Having to try that. Three was very good. In FOUR I see that they`ve replaced openbox with xfwm. Very interesting choice for a lxde-distro. Download......16 minutes left.... can`t wait:)

- apt-mark hold account

#2486 2013-06-25 03:08:35

hinto
#! Windbag

^ I manually did that with the first release of Peppermint wink  I needed it to run my virtual machine in dual head mode.  Openbox just stretches across both screens.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#2487 2013-06-25 09:31:06

Eren
#! Die Hard

wink

Last edited by Eren (2014-06-09 22:28:16)

#2488 2013-06-25 13:54:18

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Using suseSTUDIO to build off of the Tumbleweed release, but without all of the branding and my configs preloaded...and not going to pretend that it's safe for other people to use.  I honestly hate 99% of the studio builds, but since I've used TW off of the server release, I've grown to like it.  Too much bloat in anything that already comes on an image from them.

"We see you've chosen XFCE, that means that you want 90 games using Gnome Dependencies, and network manager."  mad

Edit:  Also making an antiX Sid Siduction blend, just for fun and speed with Debby.

Last edited by DebianJoe (2013-06-25 14:54:00)

#2489 2013-06-25 16:11:11

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

What tool do you use to create your custom distros?
I tried it yesterday with remastersys and it seemed to work quite well. At least the live part, hadn't time yet to test the installer.

#2490 2013-06-25 17:15:03

JWJones
#! Member

Messing around with Austrumi 2.7.2 this morning. It seems they have switched from their custom, beautiful FVWM desktop, to E17. I'm not a huge E17 fan, but they have done a good job with it.

sda1_desktop.jpg

#2491 2013-06-25 17:38:43

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Eren, roasting something special, cool.

#2492 2013-06-25 19:58:17

Eren
#! Die Hard

Yeah ivan, it'll be better in next release I think. I'm working on it.
]:D

#2493 2013-06-25 20:58:35

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

It's a really nice idea btw. Was just thinking about that when I was reading the thread about security/privacy in linux.

#2494 2013-06-25 21:26:54

Eren
#! Die Hard

@Nebucatnetzer, debootstrap, genisoimage, squashfs-tools and syslinux packages. Thanks.

#2495 2013-06-25 21:29:36

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Thx, I'll check them out.

I think I'm getting closer to the final build smile

#2496 2013-06-26 01:29:09

apprentice
#! Member

JWJones wrote:

switched from their custom, beautiful FVWM desktop, to E17.

he/they changed a couple releases ago
hope they go back
the e17 is nowhere near as nice

could never get the damned thing installed though
shame
i tried to copy their configs and put them on a bbq spin but that was a disaster

i dont think any desktop looks and works as nice as that setup they had

So come up to the lab...
And see what's on the slab

#2497 2013-06-26 17:03:15

JWJones
#! Member

apprentice wrote:
JWJones wrote:

switched from their custom, beautiful FVWM desktop (I still have the disk), to E17.

he/they changed a couple releases ago
hope they go back
the e17 is nowhere near as nice

could never get the damned thing installed though
shame
i tried to copy their configs and put them on a bbq spin but that was a disaster

i dont think any desktop looks and works as nice as that setup they had

Yeah, I think 2.6.5 was the last release with FVWM (I still have the disk). I didn't have a clue how configurable and beautiful FVWM could be made until Austrumi. I agree, the E17 setup isn't nearly as nice and distinctive.

My experience with installation is the same... never could do it successfully. That would have been a nice LinuxBBQ spin!

Last edited by JWJones (2013-06-26 17:05:12)

#2498 2013-06-28 00:22:57

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

eee!  i thought i had seen this in a dream once.  but it is real!
while looking once again at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … meline.svg i came across http://delicate-linux.net/
wheee!  joyous day!  the best nix for ancientware lives on!  deli linux lives!  now delicate-linux.  smile   ... now it's seeming less and less like a dream and more like a memory from some sleepy late night geeking session.  anyhoo... it lives!   smile  i might try and fire up my ancientware pentium133mhz|16mb|1gb laptop and give its os an update. :>  it already has the old 0.7 deli linux on it.

i'm chuffed to bits to be crunchbang|gentoo|crux on this laptop.  i am part way through setting up chroot scripts for each from each, so it is no matter which i am in at any moment, for i am always only a command away from being in another.  smile  this perhaps may prove to be the best advantage yet in the battle to fight off any disruption from distroholism.  chrootism.   ... or maybe this is a soft step towards me getting bedrock installed.

crunchbang to fullfill my need to get stuff done.
gentoo to fullfill my need to be a gentard.
crux to fulfill my need to have a nice clean minimal system i can easily progress through learning and understanding it.

i've also started sharing kernels around, between my crunchbang and gentoo (and others i copied over from my workstation too!).  it makes for some silly needless delays for chin rubbing / beard stroking while in the advanced options in grub, choosing which to boot into.   "hrmm, do i need realtime... do i need to have a de-blobbed libre kernel... do i remember correctly this one doesnt have that module, and that one doesnt have the... or the other way around..." as i look through a long list of kernels to boot into in grub.  ^_^  distroholism, windowmanagerholism, ... kernel-oholism next?  XD  will this xkcd456 nightmare torment never end!?  ;D  i know there will be programminglanguageholism too.  i just know i'll be the type... once i get one oo imperative comon whatever language down, i'll be off learning the rest, jumping from one to another...  there's gotta be a way to put that trait to positive use...  anyhoo...  i've trailed off into ramble there.  ^_^

methinks more peeps should try crux now that it is 64bit.  that's all i'm saying.  i think YOU should try it.  http://crux.nu/  smile  go make a partition or two for it right away.

also:

Eren wrote:

@Nebucatnetzer, debootstrap, genisoimage, squashfs-tools and syslinux packages. Thanks.

bam!   thanks for that.  powerful knowledge and wisdom there in that list of package names.

Last edited by Digit (2013-06-28 00:29:06)

#2499 2013-06-29 12:49:19

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

@Eren

I really quite like Kame and to me it's the most appealing of all the anonymous live distros.
One small thing though. I would change conky since I find it a bit irritating that it constantly flickers when it's updating.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a virtualbox problem. Works fine from a USB stick.

Last edited by Nebucatnetzer (2013-06-29 12:58:54)

Be excellent to each other!

#2500 2013-06-29 12:51:47

intoCB
Scatweasel

Stuck Ubuntu Studio on a partition. Good for learning about what music software is available but feels clunky for an Xfce distro. However, I appreciate that they have a tiny dev team and the clunkiness might be the low latency kernel.

Board footer