SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-11 20:21:32

qwertasdfgzxcvb

Installing updates makes it unusable

Downloaded this last night, when i go and do the commands to refresh the repositories and then install updates it breaks the system. it either makes it completely 100% freeze after i select to boot into it, or makes my wireless keyboard and mouse stop working. i believe it has something to do with when i do the updates it messes with the kernel in some way, I have been as descriptive as i can be off the top of my head, would love to get this worked out

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-12 00:40:39

ew
#! Die Hard

Re: Installing updates makes it unusable

What kind of hardware do you have? Core I3, I5 or I7, and Intel HD Graphics? Or do you have a Nvidia chip of some sort?

- apt-mark hold account

#3 2013-06-12 01:10:39

qwertasdfgzxcvb

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YbdK

Thats everything in my pc

#4 2013-06-12 01:32:31

ew
#! Die Hard

qwertasdfgzxcvb wrote:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YbdK

Thats everything in my pc

I have no experience with that hardware, so it`s probably best that someone else assists you. I would probably try a newer kernel, if you are able to avoid the freeze for long enough to make it trough a kernel-upgrade... But maybe the good doctor or someone else can troubleshoot your problem.

- apt-mark hold account

#5 2013-06-12 03:09:58

qwertasdfgzxcvb

Upgrading to the latest kernel 3.9.5 (works in some distros for me and others it breaks it) i dont understand why i have so many problems with linux in general

#6 2013-06-12 03:34:11

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Nice username though  tongue

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#7 2013-06-12 05:33:24

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Hi qwertas.... sorry to hear about the troubles, maybe we can help find the cause.

First I would replace the wireless with a wired keyboard just to eliminate one potential issue during troubleshooting.

Second, if it crashes again, see if you can use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a tty, and if you can, log in and capture some of the syslog to a file:

dmesg | tail -n 200 > crash-dmesg.log
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tail -n 200 > crash-xorg.log

That should save into your /home/$USER directory if run directly after tty login, please pastebin them up for us. Hopefully it logs some hints that point to your problem...

Edit: Can anybody else suggest which logs to check that might be helpful?

Last edited by kbmonkey (2013-06-12 05:35:40)

#8 2013-06-13 03:21:53

qwertasdfgzxcvb

kbmonkey wrote:

Hi qwertas.... sorry to hear about the troubles, maybe we can help find the cause.

First I would replace the wireless with a wired keyboard just to eliminate one potential issue during troubleshooting.

Second, if it crashes again, see if you can use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a tty, and if you can, log in and capture some of the syslog to a file:

That should save into your /home/$USER directory if run directly after tty login, please pastebin them up for us. Hopefully it logs some hints that point to your problem...

At the login screen, right after i choose to boot into the system it freezes, i have no wired keyboards and such in my house, im the only person who uses a computer / desktop 99.9% of the time and only buy wireless crap sad

So i can't do that option

I have installed plenty of linux distros

Ubuntu (Works fine)
Xubuntu (Works fine)
Kubuntu (Works fine)
Slackware (cant remember if updating kernel + video drivers broke it)
Mint (Works fine)

And if i remember all of those distros are based on ubuntu which is based on Debian (including crunchbang)

So why would i be having this problem with crunchbang and not Ubuntu or one of the other ones

Last edited by qwertasdfgzxcvb (2013-06-13 03:25:16)

#9 2013-06-13 10:08:31

ew
#! Die Hard

qwertasdfgzxcvb wrote:
kbmonkey wrote:

At the login screen, right after i choose to boot into the system it freezes, i have no wired keyboards and such in my house, im the only person who uses a computer / desktop 99.9% of the time and only buy wireless crap sad

Ubuntu (Works fine)
Xubuntu (Works fine)
Kubuntu (Works fine)
Mint (Works fine)

And if i remember all of those distros are based on ubuntu which is based on Debian (including crunchbang)

So why would i be having this problem with crunchbang and not Ubuntu or one of the other ones

Crunchbang is Debian, Ubuntu is not. Different repositories and different philosofy. Ubuntu have another policy in regards to non-free software like drivers and stuff, to ensure a higher grade of compability with all kinds of hardware, while Debian is a bit more restricted towards non-free software. You can install it, but it is rarily provided by default..., so if unlucky with your hardware configuration, Debian can be a bit harder to get working.

I assume that your problems are graphics related. Have you tried booting with "nomodeset" as a kernel parameter?

- apt-mark hold account

#10 2013-06-15 19:18:21

qwertasdfgzxcvb

ew wrote:
qwertasdfgzxcvb wrote:
kbmonkey wrote:

Ubuntu (Works fine)
Xubuntu (Works fine)
Kubuntu (Works fine)
Mint (Works fine)

Crunchbang is Debian, Ubuntu is not. Different repositories and different philosofy. Ubuntu have another policy in regards to non-free software like drivers and stuff, to ensure a higher grade of compability with all kinds of hardware, while Debian is a bit more restricted towards non-free software. You can install it, but it is rarily provided by default..., so if unlucky with your hardware configuration, Debian can be a bit harder to get working.

I assume that your problems are graphics related. Have you tried booting with "nomodeset" as a kernel parameter?

I have decided to just stick with Xubuntu, it was either that or Crunchbang or linux lite

#11 2013-06-15 19:50:09

ew
#! Die Hard

qwertasdfgzxcvb wrote:

I have decided to just stick with Xubuntu, it was either that or Crunchbang or linux lite

Ok. If you want compability out of the box, then buntu and mint are the best choices. No doubt about it:)

- apt-mark hold account

#12 2013-06-16 02:36:38

qwertasdfgzxcvb

ew wrote:
qwertasdfgzxcvb wrote:

Ok. If you want compability out of the box, then buntu and mint are the best choices. No doubt about it:)

I don't really like the look of regular ubuntu or mint, (debian, cinnamon, mate) and really like a lightweight distro, that's what drove me to to searching and crunchbang popped up, gotta say at first i was sceptical about the whole openbox thing, but once i tried it (on this distro the way it looks out of the box is amazing)

Makes me sad that I have problems running it because it was almost the perfect distro for me

I do appreciate all the comments attempting to help, i may actually try and install it again and do some more tests (im kind of a gotta know it all type person) i'll install different operating systems just to see if i can break it or find fixes for the problems i do have

Last edited by qwertasdfgzxcvb (2013-06-16 02:39:15)

Board footer