SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#376 2013-06-04 19:51:35

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Re: Ideas for Janice

Let's move along and leave the editor wars behind us ...

Support #!Waldorf • Debian sid • Xubuntu • siduction • Peppermint • OpenBox • Xfce • LXDE •

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#377 2013-06-04 22:09:13

becker
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Regarding music apps. it seems Moc fits the bill for many of us, plus in my mind at least it fits well with how I see Crunchbang. So if I had to vote for a music app I'd say a Crunchbang themed Moc.

Another thought especially with the demise of Google Reader is Newsbeuter. Not only would it be useful but Crunchbang would standout as 1 of the only distros to offer users a builtin Greader replacement. Just a thought.

Moc +1
Newsbeuter +1

pay the bills with Windows, obssesed with Linux, studying CCNA when I can fit it in.

#378 2013-06-05 06:15:42

MekkaGodzilla

I suggest to add a step in cb-welcome to set keyboard layout using "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration".

The reason to do this is that #! installer does not offer the variants of keyboard layouts, leaving some users with no apparent way to set their layout system-wide. It could be done this way :

You are currently using the US keyboard layout. Do you want to set another layout as the default system layout?
No/yes
If yes, run "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" followed by a "setxkbmap xx" with the layout selected. (The first command needs a reboot, setxkbmap applies instantly).

#379 2013-06-05 20:50:39

Anarchy-life
#! CrunchBanger

kiiroitori wrote:

Flatstudio, spacefm, no abiword and all what you guys said.

Also cb-welcome should start like this
"Welcome to the best linux distribution in the whole universe. This distro is a blessing handed down to us by Overlord Corenominal. Cherish His Name and His Updates pouring down from the internet high above. Bow before this terminal emulator and press any key to continue."

Or something along those lines.

LOL +1

I3R4iI\l D4M4G3 roll

#380 2013-06-06 17:10:34

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

I'd like to see xbindkeys included by default for all global keyboard shortcuts, this has helped me a lot to switch wm's while keeping all my shortcuts consistent, and it is really easy to configure too!

use `xev` to get keycodes, and edit .xbindkeysrc to wit:

# commonly used applications

"geany"
	Super_L + Mod4 + e

"google-chrome"
	Super_L + Mod4 + w

"terminator"
	Shift + Mod4 + Return

#381 2013-06-07 17:41:16

AvocadoPrime
Website

MORE DARKNESS!!!

And moving Gimp to post-installation would be nice. I don't really edit photos.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

#382 2013-06-07 18:22:45

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

Maybe cb-welcome should be a menu where you can select options to do things instead of having to hit skip till you get to what you want.

#383 2013-06-08 05:41:43

intoCB
Scatweasel

Waldorf has a very complete theme with matching "widget", icon theme and Openbox theme. However, without stepping outside the Debian repos, I find it difficult to get other satisfying combinations of themes. So perhaps one or two additional complete themes e.g. Janice-Brown, Janice-Green etc.

#384 2013-06-08 10:38:41

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

th3pun15h3r wrote:

Maybe cb-welcome should be a menu where you can select options to do things instead of having to hit skip till you get to what you want.

If it's going to be expanded like people suggest, I think this would be nice.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#385 2013-06-09 01:08:17

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I use mocp because I don't want to bother with setting up mpd, and I often wonder what I'm missing out on; I doubt I'm the only one.

Idea for Janice:  mpd & ncmpcpp configured out-of-the-box.

#386 2013-06-09 01:16:06

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

How about a PowerPC version?

#387 2013-06-09 01:50:34

anonymous
The Mystery Member

pvsage wrote:

I use mocp because I don't want to bother with setting up mpd, and I often wonder what I'm missing out on; I doubt I'm the only one.

Idea for Janice:  mpd & ncmpcpp configured out-of-the-box.

You could try this script for setting up MPD:

http://53280.de/dl/mpdsetup.sh

As for your idea, I don't know how practical it is have MPD "configured out-of-the-box". MPD relies on having your music in a database (its not like typical players in that aspect) furthermore it needs to have full permissions to the path to your music.

#388 2013-06-09 03:38:21

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I meant the bones of mpd configured - set up to run as user and not root, for example, and the config file set to use Alsa (or Pulseaudio, if corenominal insists on keeping that for Janice) instead of OSS.  (I haven't really paid much attention to the content of the mpd threads...usually just scan all threads to make sure everybody is behaving themselves...but I seem to remember these were two of the more common hurdles in setting up mpd in Debian.)

#389 2013-06-12 01:02:00

illumin8
#! Junkie
Website

Id like to offer an idea that is less about specific packages and more about how Crunchbang operates as a distro, and a community.
Looking through the forums there seems to be at least 3 core cultures in #!.
These core cultures emerge in threads like this voicing why their prefered packages should be the primary direction of Crunchbang.
But the thing I love about #! is that it is essentially a canvas with most of the core work already accomplished.
What I would love to see is a differentiation between how the core is built, and what the UI preferences are.
This is just my personal opinion, but I believe that Crunchbang has an untapped relevancy in the Linux community as a whole.
What I think will increase its infuence is some intentional directing of the community surrounding it. I dont think that more UI configuration should be shouldered by Corenominal. I think that should be grown by the community.

What I would offer as a solution is community built post intall scripts that emerge out of the different core values that the variety of #! users have. This avoids core conflicts and leaves core responsibility where it belongs, but opens up community involvement in a more practical way. The framework for legitimizing this would be a topic of discussion.
Minimalists that pretty much use just a browser, and CLI apps, and those who use #! as a base canvas for other things.
If the scripts revolved around sticky threads, they could be tested and improved by those involved, and you could have a multi core #! community instead of a single core. But in a way that de-conflates UI preference from core development.
Its likely that the scripts that resonate with the community as a whole could become meta packages over time.

I would also suggest a stronger emphasis on Flattr. I mean a big fat sticky thread on the top explaining unappologetically why  flattr microdonations are a good idea. I am currently writing an article for GIMP magazine that talks about the responsibility of freesoftware users to support the freesoftware that they regularly use. The reality is, if you dont support it, it is not sustainable in the long run. I would imagine that Crunchbang is a fairly large commitment, and those of us who use it should really consider voluntarily supporting it. I would go so far to suggest that if this idea bothers you, you might be a freeloader. Or at the very least, short sighted.

I keep coming back to this distribution as my core because its a perfect canvas. It also has good community. Its my personal belief that with some of the trends im seeing in the Linux community as a whole, these two things will become more and more valuable, and finding ways to maintain and grow them are priceless.

Last edited by illumin8 (2013-06-12 01:05:32)

Website    500px     DeviantArt
God never ends anything on a negative; God always ends on a positive. -- Edwin Louis Cole --

#390 2013-06-12 01:30:49

dkeg
#! Die Hard

I would also suggest a stronger emphasis on Flattr. I mean a big fat sticky thread on the top explaining unappologetically why  flattr microdonations are a good idea. I am currently writing an article for GIMP magazine that talks about the responsibility of freesoftware users to support the freesoftware that they regularly use. The reality is, if you dont support it, it is not sustainable in the long run. I would imagine that Crunchbang is a fairly large commitment, and those of us who use it should really consider voluntarily supporting it. I would go so far to suggest that if this idea bothers you, you might be a freeloader. Or at the very least, short sighted.

I think its safe to say that is why a good portion of us are here, in the forums, are helping out when needed or otherwise offering advice or tips and tricks, volunteering our time to do so.  Actually, most of us that are active, are also active elsewhere, in those respective communities doing the same.  I hear what you're saying, but my take on cb is if you want to be a part of it, it's done here in the forums, which is great, and just fine.  It's a great community to be a part of. Other distro's may allow members to actively participate in the wiki or elsewhere.  Guess that depends on them.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#391 2013-06-12 01:34:18

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

@illumin8

Very well said and written...

A couple of questions.  How do you define support and your microdonations? Is helping users here enough?  How To's? Manning the IRC? Moderating?

I have done as much as I can to support #!, including cash donations and all of the above and still wonder what else can I do.

This community has core values and has developed a reputation that is well known.  It has a base of users whose knowledge is as good as any on the web and few problems go unresolved.  New users are welcomed without question and rarely do we have to moderate anything...

Sounds like a complete success to me... I know it doesn't pay Philip's bills or buy him a new Bentley,  but I think he is happy

I like the idea of community development. It generally takes a strong lead(er) to initiate and stick to it and good organization...

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#392 2013-06-12 07:54:40

illumin8
#! Junkie
Website

@vastone

VastOne wrote:

A couple of questions.  How do you define support and your microdonations?

I kind of broke one of my own rules in how I wrote this. I try to make personal choices and not extend those choices to "what everyone else should do" But.....
Im getting off topic for this thread, but I think I am voicing a general concern that is larger that just #!.
Ill just briefly say that I believe that the reformation that has occurred from the ideals that spawned the free software movement need to be followed by creating a sustainable environment. I believe that everyone who enjoys the fruit of this, including myself should set aside a small amount of money each month, like $10, that is distributed among what ever project is most beneficial to them. In my case, Crunchbang is one of these, and so I intend to start doing this as a lifestyle. I think we all should do this, but if even 20% did this, the market incentive to develop freesoftware would greatly increase. Theres alot more to it than that, but more than enough for this thread.

VastOne wrote:

I have done as much as I can to support #!, including cash donations and all of the above and still wonder what else can I do.

You are already doing it. You are the pareto principle in action:) And the admonition is not for you.

VastOne wrote:

This community has core values and has developed a reputation that is well known.  It has a base of users whose knowledge is as good as any on the web and few problems go unresolved.  New users are welcomed without question and rarely do we have to moderate anything...

Very true.
I think that is why I would open up here. If this kind of model could succeed anywhere, it would be here.

VastOne wrote:

I like the idea of community development. It generally takes a strong lead(er) to initiate and stick to it and good organization...

Well id imagine that either he will be glad ive said some of this, or he wants to punch me in the face. Maybe both.

Website    500px     DeviantArt
God never ends anything on a negative; God always ends on a positive. -- Edwin Louis Cole --

#393 2013-06-12 11:44:31

ew
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

@illumin8

Very well said and written...

A couple of questions.  How do you define support and your microdonations? Is helping users here enough?  How To's? Manning the IRC? Moderating?

Sounds like a complete success to me... I know it doesn't pay Philip's bills or buy him a new Bentley,  but I think he is happy

I completely agree with you Vastone. This is a complete success, so why change it. But I would encourage people to donate now and then, if they can afford it. My take on it personally, is that I intend to donate at least as mush as it would have costed me to use Windows, and that is app. 10$ a month, and I therefore intend to donate 30$ every three months as long as I`m using Crunchbang. It`s not much, but it is a small contribution... I totally respect that others might not afford to donate at all, and in no way are I blaming anyone if they don`t donate.

- apt-mark hold account

#394 2013-06-12 13:53:52

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

This was a recent source of discussion within the software development community.  There was a gentleman who took a month-long vacation between his employment at Oracle, and his new job at Drop-Box.  During this time, he knocked out 2 VERY full featured libs for core development.  After the first few months, if the users of his libs had thrown $5.00 into a pot for him, he'd have pulled in almost a six-figure donation. 

The question that arose was "Is it better for us in the long-run to make these donations just so that he wouldn't HAVE to work, and could continue to write on his own?"  I personally believe so.  There are many cases where this would be certainly a great idea, but if you look at the development of the Linux kernel, the amount of man-hours that have gone into it are staggering.  There is no way to possibly make it so that all FOSS devs can retire on donations.  So how do you put a value on each person's work?  I guess that's a decision that each individual has to make.  I do think that a project without a following is never going to reach the levels of potential that would be reached with a community behind it.  Perhaps everyone should simply do what they can to support the things that they truly care about, in whatever way is feasible for them.

@illumin8, thanks for sharing, and to a great degree....I totally agree with you.

#395 2013-06-12 15:22:56

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

+1 illumin8, VastOne,

I think the spirit of Linux naturally finds what it needs because people see or have a need and fulfill it, either by developing their own software or hiring someone to do it for them, and if donations are needed they ask or set a goal of funds they need to reach (KickStarter anyone?).   I've read how much $ it would take to build what Linux is and its just jaw dropping!  Now to get all emotional but Linux to me shows what the best of Humanity is, to share and help each other with no restrictions against the freedom of others. 

Anywho, I was wondering If there has been still users wanting a #! built on Ubuntu LTS (every 6 months would be too much and probably not as stable), and with maybe making a separate release based on ubuntu also like how mint has a ubuntu and debian based version?  Just a thought.

PS: I was not intending to ignite any flame wars between the two.

#396 2013-06-12 16:09:29

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

th3pun15h3r wrote:

Now to get all emotional but Linux to me shows what the best of Humanity is, to share and help each other with no restrictions against the freedom of others. 

Anywho, I was wondering If there has been still users wanting a #! built on Ubuntu LTS (every 6 months would be too much and probably not as stable), and with maybe making a separate release based on ubuntu also like how mint has a ubuntu and debian based version?  Just a thought.

I often also feel like this. That's for me one of the reasons why I'm fascinated by OSS.

An Ubuntu based build sounds tempting because of the compatibility to my hardware and because of the newer software. However I'm currently not sure how I feel about Ubuntu and I got all the things I needed working.  So it's not really a must have.

#397 2013-06-12 16:34:32

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

Nebucatnetzer wrote:
th3pun15h3r wrote:

Now to get all emotional but Linux to me shows what the best of Humanity is, to share and help each other with no restrictions against the freedom of others. 

I often also feel like this. That's for me one of the reasons why I'm fascinated by OSS.

An Ubuntu based build sounds tempting because of the compatibility to my hardware and because of the newer software. However I'm currently not sure how I feel about Ubuntu and I got all the things I needed working.  So it's not really a must have.

yeah the hardware compatibility and because of the popularity of the os and support from 3rd parties provides alot more extra software including alot of ones from debian.

#398 2013-06-12 18:23:35

ew
#! Die Hard

No need for a ubuntu-based build. There are lots of other distros that you just as well could use if you want that. Distros like Lubuntu, PeppermintOS and WattOS, which all are lxde/openbox-distros. Just remove the lxde-panel and install tint2, and it`s pretty much just as Crunchbang would be if it was based on Ubuntu.

- apt-mark hold account

#399 2013-06-12 18:44:10

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

kd5ob wrote:

How about a PowerPC version?

You must be channeling me, because for years I've been encouraging those who might be interested to keep the PowerPC version of $DISTRO alive. I have a couple of flavored iMacs in the lab which do well on Debian.

However, I don't know if a PPC version of #! is doable, with the limited resources in these parts. But it's something to think about.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Be excellent to each other!

#400 2013-06-12 19:10:34

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

illumin8 wrote:

I keep coming back to this distribution as my core because its a perfect canvas.

I agree overall with your earlier post, illumin8, but I wanted to point out this particular line as it speaks volumes to what we're doing here (or at least what I think we're doing here).

My guess is that a huge majority of CrunchBang users are not using #! with all its defaults, straight from the install. I would imagine that most users do what I do -- they take this blank canvas and create a masterpiece. This is not unique to CrunchBang, however it is something that sets us apart from a lot of other distros. Of all the great things and of all the strengths that this distro provides, having this blank slate or blank canvas on which to create your perfect set-up.

I like this discussion immensely and I like the ideas that are being tossed around. My point is that there is a lot here and we all have our favorites, and keeping within the paramaters of the "perfect canvas," I hope this will dictate what goes into #! going forward.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Board footer