SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-02 20:40:40

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

CrunchBang GNU/Hurd?

First things first: I tried with very limited success for the last three days to get Debian GNU/Hurd up and running -- I got as far as installing it and running things from the command line -- before finally waving the white flag of surrender (as an aside, it's the same white flag I used in every failed attempt to run Gentoo for the last six years. But I digress). I attribute my failure mostly to my own inabilities reflecting in numerous PEBCAK errors and to the remote possibility of faulty hardware, though at this point this is not the primary issue.

And the reason I am posting this in CrunchBang Talk rather than a more technical-oriented section is because what the question I'm about to ask here is clearly hypothetical and speculative, though if anyone wants to try it, I wouldn't stop him or her.

In my attempt at Debian GNU/Hurd, I used this Debian Wiki page:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54192

As you can see on the wiki page, Debian GNU/Hurd uses Openbox as the window manager. Some of you, obviously, know where I'm going with this, but bear with me.

So hypothetically and speculatively speaking, could one

-- amend the repositories to reflect what's native to CrunchBang in the /etc/apt/sources.list file, and

-- add the cb-welcome script file to run after installing Debian GNU/Hurd, and

-- do whatever corresponding other steps that makes CrunchBang Linux CrunchBang Linux to make CrunchBang GNU/Hurd?

Forgive me if there are a lot of holes in this scenario, and I'll be the first to admit that I am speaking in broad generalizations rather than specifics because, frankly, I don't have the programming knowledge to speak to precise issues this might entail. But while I install CrunchBang back on the ThinkPad I was using for this, ahem, experiment, I thought it might be worth bringing up in case anyone else had thought of it.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-06-02 22:11:06

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

Re: CrunchBang GNU/Hurd?

Totally free crunchbang?
I've thought about trying Hurd out, not that much.

#3 2013-06-03 07:32:54

nadir
#! Member

lcafiero wrote:

First things first: I tried with very limited success for the last three days to get Debian GNU/Hurd up and running -- I got as far as installing it and running things from the command line --

I didn't get remotely that far, tried 3 PCs, VirtualBox and crosshurd.
I succeeded in the past, but it's too long ago.
If you would fail to install i'd say try the qemu.img, but if you can install ...
To me the Hurd is so different to my experience that it is a) invest a couple of weeks or months to get the head in it or b) don't use it at all.

I attribute my failure mostly to my own inabilities reflecting in numerous PEBCAK errors

I don't think so.
There is a reason (or must be) that even most reputated distributions got hard times to offer it at all (what is it? debian, arch gentoo?).

I sure think it is worth it, though.

-
Oh: and i doubt what you ask for is possible (add crunchbang repos, use the scripts, etc). Best bet is probably to copy user's configs around.
I might well be wrong. And what i have seen from crunchbang look&feel it seems to suit well (I think i'd prefer something more nerdy, say WindowMaker ... but sure would be very happy with easy-to-install-hurd-with-crunchbang-look-feel:-) ).

Last edited by nadir (2013-06-03 07:36:25)

#4 2013-06-03 09:01:52

fatmac
#! Die Hard

To me the Hurd is like another Minix, its a classroom/teaching system, too far behind BSD & Linux to be taken seriously in the business world. That leaves it up to the geeks to develop, & they don't seem very interested.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2013-06-04 18:56:58

intoCB
Scatweasel

The April Fool I did was "based on a true story": Other versions of Debian simply don't have all the same packages as the GNU/Linux version. That is clearly the intention but is not the reality.

Board footer