SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#201 2013-05-17 22:28:25

ew
#! Die Hard

Re: Ideas for Janice

Unia wrote:
ew wrote:
Unia wrote:

Have faith in Papanomical, he knows what's best for the distro  {)

Yes, and that`s why a poll is unecessary  lol

I too wouldn't mind a poll, it would be way easier to see what people want - which is also what Corenominal wants otherwise he wouldn't have posted this.

Ok, I see your point, but with all the loose ideas flying around, it would be quite a lot of work to sort all that into a poll. But hey, If anybody wants to do it, then I guess I will have to accept that : )

- apt-mark hold account

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#202 2013-05-17 22:36:33

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:
ew wrote:

Crunchbang shouldn`t strive to be more user friendly. Quite the opposite. I would rather see that it alienated the typical Windows-users that wants a gui or a control-panel for everything. Let them stay at Windows, or run to buntu or mint, and let CB be a distro for the semi-advanced, or those that aspire to become just that. There has to be a learning curve to make it interesting.

So like Arch Linux?  ]:D

Yes, just like that, but with apt and aptitude, not pacman. As I`m getting more skilled in Debian, I don`t want to confuse myself with totally different commands. Learning the arch-way could unlearn the Debian-way, and I don`t want to do that.  But I`m certain that there will come a time when the Debian-way is permanently glued into my brain, and then I`m ready to learn arch...

But for the moment, I have to ensure that I`m not spreading my limited brain-resources too thin tongue

Last edited by ew (2013-05-17 22:38:03)

- apt-mark hold account

#203 2013-05-17 22:39:17

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

ew wrote:

Yes, just like that, but with apt and aptitude, not pacman. As I`m getting more skilled in Debian, I don`t want to confuse myself with totally different commands. Learning the arch-way could unlearn the Debian-way, and I don`t want to do that.  But I`m certain that there will come a time when the Debian-way is permanently glued into my brain, and then I`m ready to learn arch...

But for the moment, I have to ensure that I`m not spreading my limited brain-resources too thin tongue

You can use aliases for those alien pacman commands...  ]:D

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#204 2013-05-17 22:49:54

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

SabreWolfy wrote:

These discussions often go in circles -- iceweasel, no chrome, no iceweasel, no chrome, no firefox, no chrome, no iceaweasel, no opera, no chome, ...

Exactly that. A list of preferred apps from the community, categorized into a simple dialog selector piped to apt would be pretty functional.

Anyone recall the text installers of yore which allowed you to customize the packages to install? Like that.

Last edited by kbmonkey (2013-05-17 22:51:02)

#205 2013-05-17 22:52:04

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:
ew wrote:

You can use aliases for those alien pacman commands...  ]:D

Grrr, don`t demolish my excuses. The Arch-iso is burned, and it`s been lying in my shelf for a few weeks. I always find a excuse to push it ahead of me. What if I end up liking it more than Debian? That would create the biggest issue I`ve encountered so far in Linux.

Nope, then it`s much better to blame Pacman and AUR. It really sounds alien to me. I`ve done a little slack, but slapt-get --update doesn`t sound as alien as pacman -Sy or whatever...:)))

- apt-mark hold account

#206 2013-05-17 22:54:37

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Come to the dark side, we have fresh hot updates cookies everyday big_smile

#207 2013-05-17 23:00:04

ew
#! Die Hard

kbmonkey wrote:
SabreWolfy wrote:

These discussions often go in circles -- iceweasel, no chrome, no iceweasel, no chrome, no firefox, no chrome, no iceaweasel, no opera, no chome, ...

Exactly that. A list of preferred apps from the community, categorized into a simple dialog selector piped to apt would be pretty functional.

Anyone recall the text installers of yore which allowed you to customize the packages to install? Like that.

It`s already present in the menu. You can choose to install Chromium, Chrome and Opera. Firefox is probably missing because Iceweasel is the default.

But I guess it wouldn`t hurt me if there was a menu entry to launch a script like you are argumenting for, but it should not become a part of CB-welcome, because it would only be confusable to the people that would need a script like that. Better to make sure that they have some kind of updated working system before they`re able to install other apps.

- apt-mark hold account

#208 2013-05-17 23:09:43

DogMatix

!# was originally sold to me by a friend as Openbox done properly OOTB & I believe this is currently is a major draw to the distro.

I have never particularly thought of !# as a bare-bones OS but more as a fully featured fast and reliable OS and apart from an initial trial run I don’t think of it as a live distro either.

As @Kernal Oopzer mentioned and I believe I have read something similar:

The primary aim of the CrunchBang project is to produce a stable distribution offering the best possible out-of-the-box Openbox experience.

I think this would be a good mantra to recite during Janice’s development. I think by default !# should track  stable Debian. The idea to have an option to track testing or unstable at install is an interesting idea.

Whether ‘this’ or ‘that’ comes installed as standard doesn’t bother me so much as the OS itself being solid as it’s easy enough to install and remove what you want (a side-effect of Open Source Software). But as AbiWord seems to be unpopular how about replacing it with something like LyX.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#209 2013-05-17 23:10:14

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

Come to the dark side, we have fresh hot updates cookies everyday big_smile

Maybe. But I will wait for my new and more linux-friendly wifi-card, because wifi during install is a real pain in Arch.  I`ve ordered a couple that should work well, and I guess that`ll upper my odds of getting trough the installer in one piece;)

- apt-mark hold account

#210 2013-05-17 23:17:41

ew
#! Die Hard

DogMatix wrote:

!# was originally sold to me by a friend as Openbox done properly OOTB & I believe this is currently is a major draw to the distro.

There you see how different we are, I was sold by this, which is in direct contradiction:

CrunchBang Linux is not recommended for anyone needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent breakage. CrunchBang Linux could possibly make your computer go CRUNCH! BANG! Therefore CrunchBang Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Last edited by corenominal (2010-11-21 14:07:14)

Last edited by ew (2013-05-17 23:19:40)

- apt-mark hold account

#211 2013-05-17 23:19:05

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

ew wrote:

It`s already present in the menu. You can choose to install Chromium, Chrome and Opera. Firefox is probably missing because Iceweasel is the default.

That explains much, I use i3wm and don't have such menus lol

#212 2013-05-17 23:28:21

DogMatix

@ew

Yeah I guess #! is not an ideal novices linux distro. but once installed it is pretty easy for an average computer user to pick up, ie. my wife and son (who regularly 'borrow' my netbook) and they demand things to just work and facebook to run smoothly. But, I agree #!, and its philosophy, does encourage a certain amount of tinkering which I love and #! should always retain that.

Just shows how diverse #! users are becoming.

Last edited by DogMatix (2013-05-17 23:35:55)

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#213 2013-05-17 23:29:21

ew
#! Die Hard

kbmonkey wrote:
ew wrote:

But then you`ll probably be able to use apt-get to install chromium or opera. I don`t assume that anyone using a tiling WM would be afraid of a few terminal commands. The welcome script aren`t for people like you, that probably are more skilled than me, and I don`t need that kind of help either...

- apt-mark hold account

#214 2013-05-18 05:34:42

confusis

My 2c:
Add browser selection to the welcome script - first thing I do after an install (after cb-welcome) is install chromium and remove iceweasel. I'm sure I'm not the only one.. I also use #! for lightweight, non-mission critical servers (mostly webhosting) so the option of not even installing a browser would be handy, keep bloat to a minimum.

+1 to move gimp to cb-welcome
+1 to dump abiword
+1 to auto-updating menu
+1 to keeping #! awesome

and at the risk of making #! 'too easy', maybe include something like conkyGUI (GUI for modifying conky config) smile

#215 2013-05-18 14:02:13

whereisthetea
#! Member

It's been so long since my last install that I do not actually remember what came by default on waldorf   :8

So just to comment on the suggestions mentioned above:

+1 for moving gimp to cb-welcome or leaving it out altogether
+1 for removing abiword (I tried to use it - and gnumeric - many times but always failed to appreciate either of them)
+1 for redshift, radiotray and deadbeef
+1 for midori browser

As for auto-updating menus - if it makes into default setup, please make it easy to turn it off.

Maybe reducing the number of default wallpapers, openbox themes and fonts would be something in the spirit of a minimalist distro?

Anymay away icklemay akesmay away ucklemay.

#216 2013-05-18 20:44:13

Voland
Website

My little addition: please, be more contemporary. No more "hello-from-early-ages" package versions.

#217 2013-05-18 20:49:40

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Thats debian stable history, not #!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#218 2013-05-18 21:03:51

Voland
Website

^ That's why I suggest to add some unstable flavour. Not in "we-broke-everything-again"-ubuntu-way and "new-kernel-new-whole-system"-arch-way, but "wise-unstable"-#!-way smile

#219 2013-05-18 21:15:41

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ The irony is that Waldorf was out there for ages and was loved by most all..

Everything now is new and shiny, this discussion will pick up again in a year

Not sure how it could be managed to do half sid/testing repo... Their sources are either opened or closed and I know corenominal does not want to micro manage releases at that level

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#220 2013-05-19 15:22:11

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

A Pdf reader that allows highlighting in the document and saves highlighted text. Evince and Acrobat Reader 9 (the last for linux) don't seem to do that, and I'm sure it would be really handy for many office workers, students etc.

Does such a thing even exist?

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#221 2013-05-19 15:29:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs

+1 for VastOne's most recent post above - people who chase the latest-and-greatest are saying the same things about Wheezy that they were saying about Squeeze.  I'm sure they'll be saying the same things about Jessie two years hence.  "Nothing changes but the faces, the names, and the trends."

#222 2013-05-19 16:07:22

He_!

I find that having both gmrun and dmenu is redundant. Perhaps drop gmrun or configure dmenu differently?

#223 2013-05-19 18:43:26

joek
#! Junkie

kbmonkey wrote:
ew wrote:

If you have managed to install a different window manager on your own, I think it is assumed that you can manage to install your own favourite web browser too. Regardless, when you boot up #! for the first time, you will be in openbox, where there are pipemenus for installing chromium.

#224 2013-05-19 23:00:55

Super-Nathan
#! CrunchBanger
Website

He_! wrote:

I find that having both gmrun and dmenu is redundant. Perhaps drop gmrun or configure dmenu differently?

I like having both!

#echo "Something useful" > /dev/null

PiBang Linux

Be excellent to each other!

#225 2013-05-19 23:36:07

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

+1 for VastOne's most recent post above - people who chase the latest-and-greatest are saying the same things about Wheezy that they were saying about Squeeze.  I'm sure they'll be saying the same things about Jessie two years hence.  "Nothing changes but the faces, the names, and the trends."

Of course. It doesn`t take two years either. I consider Jessie as old already. Kernel 3.2.0.4 in a testing release???? Seriously?

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer