SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#2176 2013-03-26 05:43:11

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

@digit
No Debian?

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Be excellent to each other!

#2177 2013-03-26 10:31:55

gurtid
#! Junkie

running SolusOS 1.3 on my laptop now . . . hasn't crashed yet in the week or so i've been running it. Nice job by that team . . .

all your Base are belong to us

#2178 2013-03-26 20:44:28

ew
#! Die Hard

Hi Digit,

You didn`t mention Crunchbang. It will run better than most of the distros you mention. In my experience there is only one OS that runs faster and lighter on ancient  hardware, and that is Peppermint Three. Puppy-linux didn`t run any faster on my ancient laptop.

- apt-mark hold account

#2179 2013-03-27 03:03:21

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

@ merelyjim & ew
serious?  debian will be fine on 333mhz CELERON?  with only SIXTY FOUR mb of ram?  and a 4gb hd! (iirc  ~ got a weird feeling it might actually be 2gb)

i want to have some headroom.

and Crunchbang?  uhh... no, be serious.  i know it's fairly lightweight....  but really?   i mean... it has compositing ffs!  crunchbang is of course what i first reach for, for most puters...  but this lameware, my thoughts go to stuff i can get to run better.

[#!] "will run better than most of the distros you mention." - ew.

yikes
did you miss where i was saying which i was considering for it, and which i had just downloaded just out of a distro-surfing relapse?

crunchbang, lighter/faster than connochaetos?  puppy?  slitaz? damnsmall?  kwort?  openbsd?  gentoo?  parabola/arch/archserver?  slackware?  ok, fair enough a claim for porteus (maybe. ??? idk yet).  and i knew manjaro was pushing it (unless i find out they've released some lightweight environment version i missed).  vsido would either be on par with crunchbang, or slightly lighter.  of course i knew sabayon was going to be on the hefty side without opting for one of their special core minimal versions or one with something like fluxbox (but even then, it is probably fantasy land).

so as far as i count it... of all the distros i mentioned, that's 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8/9/10,11, eleven lighter, one on par (or lighter), and only three that would be heftier than crunchbang.   hmm 

but fair enough, i concede to merelyjim's suggestion, and i'll consider debian too. 

in my experience though, i can keep my system a lot cleaner and smaller with slackware, arch, slitaz, slax, puppy, and a lot faster with slackware, arch, gentoo, etc...  i could go on, suffice to say, no, crunchbang, is not seriously on my list of considerations.  but if i can fit it on a cd, i'll give it a try if connochaetos doesnt work out, maybe even before i try the others, just because i love crunchbang so much... but i dont expect it to fair well.

if it were 333mhz pentium, or athlon, or even duron(!), i might consider it.  but this is celeron.  ^_^  since it will be sucking bits through a pygmy pipette, i'm thinking either headless, or at the extremes of tiny n minimal.

i keep having rat-gentoo ~and the various projects it took its cues from~ on my mind.  i'm kinda keen to see if i can get a gentoo + gui, for less than 10mb ram.

i expect i may be visiting kmandla's ol motho ka botho blog for inspiration at some point.

anyhoo... the discussion is mute until i find and fit a plug for it.  ^_^

dont worry, crunchbang is still what i run on this laptop, and i have a couple crunchbangs installed on the workstation too.  smile

ps,

am i way off the mark thinking #! these days will struggle to have headroom on that hardware?  anyone else have experience with running crunchbang on similar spec?

#2180 2013-03-27 07:01:35

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

R3nCi wrote:
rstrcogburn wrote:

Cyanogen mod 10 on my phone.

How is that working out for you? I have been meaning to try it on a Samsung Galaxy S 4G for a while now, but don't want to brick it or end up running firmware that's substandard/unstable.

Its running on a galaxy s3 from sprint.  Works flawlessly.  Its actually a lot safer than they say because of the recovery mode Samsung has built in.  Arch is probably the easiest distro to use for flashing because heimdall and abs is in aur.

Pack em in snow!

#2181 2013-03-27 22:46:14

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

ooh, or maybe dragora... or even absolute.  idk how light zenwalk can be these days too...

#2182 2013-03-28 12:46:23

ew
#! Die Hard

Well Digit, I haven`t tried Crunchbang on 64 mb RAM, but on slightly better hardware then Crunchbang runs faster than most of the other distros you mention, and most importantly, it boots faster than most. I had an old laptop and tried to find lightweight-distros, but it was only Peppermint that could compeet with Crunchbang. Puppy didn`t feel any lighter. But I had way more RAM than you. I have lots of memory chips, so the first thing that I always do with all, is to upgrade to max memory.. The lowest amount of RAM I have tried Crunchbang with, is 256 mb, and had no issues with that. You mention compositing feature, but in the openbox autostart file it`s up to you what features you will start, so that`s really not  an argument. You can comment out Compositing, Conky and other features you don`t need...

- apt-mark hold account

#2183 2013-03-28 13:21:59

cortman
#! CrunchBanger

I have an old laptop similar to Digit's, only better yet- specs here. smile
I tried Debian on it, but I got stuck at initramfs all the time, and didn't know enough to fix it (and was told "Why are you trying to run Debian on it" by people on the Debian forums, which I had to admit was a very good question).
I'm still looking for an OS for it. I'd like to run CLI only, but the only OS I've had any luck with was TinyCore, and even there I ran into problems.

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB extra for both of us when you use my my referral link. smile

#2184 2013-03-28 14:50:18

PackRat
#! Die Hard

@cortman -

that laptop might be a good candidate for Net/Free/Open - BSD.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#2185 2013-03-28 15:01:14

cortman
#! CrunchBanger

PackRat wrote:

@cortman -

Interesting suggestion- never thought of trying them on it.
I don't know a lot about BSD but it may be interesting to learn.
Why would BSD in particular be suited for it?

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB extra for both of us when you use my my referral link. smile

#2186 2013-03-28 15:35:57

PackRat
#! Die Hard

@cortman

I have used both Net and Free BSD - if you're wanting a CLI environment, either of those should work. As with any laptop, the wireless (if it has any) for BSD may be an issue. My own expedition into the world of OpenBSD was an abject failure, but that was more me than the OS, people that get it installed really like it.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#2187 2013-03-28 16:28:53

intoCB
Scatweasel

@cortman - LinuxBBQ Boner (64-bit) or Virgin (32-bit)

#2188 2013-03-29 02:30:54

ew
#! Die Hard

Wow. Now I`m hopping away from all my distros, and have to do it all over again:)

I replaced the hdd with a ssd, and wow... Ubuntu booted faster than anything I`ve seen before, and the respons to every click is instant. Now I cant wait to see how #! will perform on SSD. Perhaps it will be so fast that I can bloat it down with Gnome 3, which is constantly growing on me. I don`t understand why people don`t like it. Both Unity and Gnome 3 are awesome. I`m not sure which one I like better:)

- apt-mark hold account

#2189 2013-03-29 05:16:34

intoCB
Scatweasel

Gnome 3 and Unity are indeed nice if your PC can handle them.

#2190 2013-03-29 13:02:56

PackRat
#! Die Hard

cortman wrote:
PackRat wrote:

@cortman -

Interesting suggestion- never thought of trying them on it.
I don't know a lot about BSD but it may be interesting to learn.
Why would BSD in particular be suited for it?

Zenwalk core would be another option for CLI on an older computer.

#2191 2013-03-29 13:22:00

hinto
#! Windbag

I have XFCE Mint on a p4 (with hyperthreading) and 1 gb of ram.  It's still snappy.  Granted I do have a 256 AGP card in it to help with graphics, but it's amazing to see the performance of Linux on it.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#2192 2013-03-29 18:12:01

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

@ew, welcome to the world of ssd.  smile

i got my first ssd, a ocz vertex+2 a month or two ago, and i too was utterly astonished.

my boot times on #! have been reduced to almost a tenth!

also,
you still maintain "Crunchbang runs faster than most of the other distros you mention"...
... i'm going to have to put this to the test at some point, and get some hard numbers, because i really dont think that's accurate at all.  it makes me wonder if you've even tried those distros.  i'm not saying that crunchbang is a bloater by any means, but even corenominal has said himself, several times, that crunchbang is not trying to be a lightweight minimal distro (if it were, it wouldnt have terminator or compositing, for example).  then surely it's not likely to out-perform distros which are aimed as such.

the compositing is an argument (for #! being heavier duty than the others, who dont have it).  what if that is the straw that breaks the camel's back, and i cannot even boot into the desktop?  ok, sure i could chroot in or switch to tty (presuming its not completely choked out) or something, and comment it out that way, but then, if it takes such a work around, i'm sure i've already won the argument.

but like i say... once i get that box set up, i'll run some tests and get the numbers.   ... dont hold your breath for that though. ^_^

@ cortman
have you tried parabola/arch? or gentoo?   also the bsd suggestion is good. 
if you were ok with trying tinycore, you might also like to give slitaz a little look in.  very close to as light, and a bit more convenient.  it also has a gui-less iso to try.
*clicks link to spec*
OH!  you meant THAT old computer.  ^_^  yeah.  i struggled really hard finding something to run on my 133mhz with 16mb of ram, and that was about 5 years ago i did that.  i imagine it will be a bigger challenge now.  was really lucky to find deli linux (now connochaetos).  you might get lucky and be able to run connochaetos on it.  slitaz have a low-mem iso that might be well suited, i'm not sure how low they go, 32 should be ok i think.  you might be relegated to looking through older releases.  b4linux, or slackware4, or whatever.  ^_^  with some rummaging around, one can find floppy disk linuxes that may be viable.  ^_^

#2193 2013-03-29 20:12:30

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

I dropped Arch on a dual monitor system yesterday.  What a truly interesting distribution.  I have it set up to shift boot between XFCE and Awesome WM.  Although I generally cannot afford to risk the stability of rolling releases, I do really like it as an OS for more casual use.  PacMan may take a bit to get used to, but everything else seems very clean.  This is my first foray into it, and so far I'm very pleased.

#2194 2013-03-29 21:35:16

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ Stability is good, I've been running it for over a year without any major crashes.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#2195 2013-03-29 23:17:20

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Arch is MUCH more stable than Debian Unstable, Ubuntu or Fedora. It's as worry free as SUSE, it just doesn't have all the GUI tools.

#2196 2013-03-29 23:22:11

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Empirical data and sources please...  ]:D

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#2197 2013-03-29 23:59:55

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

VastOne wrote:

^ Empirical data and sources please...  ]:D

I thought el_K and me are trusted members of this community..?  sad   {)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#2198 2013-03-30 00:06:34

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ You are... without question or doubt... cool

Its the MUCH more stable part of the statement...  lol

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#2199 2013-03-30 00:22:38

ew
#! Die Hard

Quote-Digit : "@ew, welcome to the world of ssd. 
i got my first ssd, a ocz vertex+2 a month or two ago, and i too was utterly astonished.
my boot times on #! have been reduced to almost a tenth!"

I`ve had the Intel SSD 520(180 GB)  for 3-4 months on my Windows7-pc, so it wasn`t completely new for me. I ordered a Intel SSD 330(120 GB) at the same time, but my linux-distros was already quite fast, and with all my distrohopping and multibooting-schemes, 120 GB seamed a bit small, so the SSD has just been lying there....

Now I felt that it was time to try it with Linux, so I decided to put it in, and split the 120 GB in three partitions. 210 mb for EFI, 72 gb for Ubuntu 12.10, and the rest for CB 11. GPT, EFI-boot, and no swap. Both root-partitions gets mounted in the other distros so that I can share freespace between them. I did it that way because I don`t know which distro will fill up the fastest, and now I can store static files where there is room for it, and if I need more, then I will use external storage. The same for my distrohopping. I have a USB3 hdd-dock, so it will be pretty smooth to run other hdd`s from the dock:)

Anyway, Ubuntu was very, very fast with SSD, but when I just launched Crunchbang for the very first time on the SSD, then I was really amazed. Just a few seconds and every thing was up. I reboot and switch between Ubuntu and Crunchbang faster than it used to take me to logout and swith user-session. I`m quite astonished by how much there was to gain by ssd. I will never ever use a regular hdd as system disk again. Not if you give them to me for free big_smile

When I say that Crunchbang runs faster than most distros, then this is true for my old Toshiba. But i had 2 GB RAM in it, and the most I have ever manged to use with Crunchbang, is around 700 mb... , but then  I was playing lots of you-tube videos at the same time, and was running lots of other apps and windows:)

With only 64 MB RAM availaable, you will obviously need to use swap a lot, and that will slow it down a bit. But let`s say that you have 512 mb RAM, then RAM will not be an issue, because Crunchbang uses 2-300 mb on average with normal use....

If you want to try CB, then try the non-pae version of Statler, and remove compositing and conky from the startup-file. Also check etc/xdg/autostart and remove anything you don`t need. You can also replace Thunar, Terminator and other apps with lighter alternatives, and you can always use Midori or Epiphany as web-browsers. CB can be exactly what you want. After all, all distros are just a starting point, providing you with a base that you can build upon, or strip... as you please smile))

Last edited by ew (2013-03-30 00:26:00)

- apt-mark hold account

Be excellent to each other!

#2200 2013-03-30 00:38:21

ew
#! Die Hard

el_koraco wrote:

Arch is MUCH more stable than Debian Unstable, Ubuntu or Fedora. It's as worry free as SUSE, it just doesn't have all the GUI tools.

Well, I guess that Arch is stable for the most skilled Linux-users, but for the majority it`s a struggle just to get it up and running in a useful state:) I tried Archbang, and the first update/upgrade killed it. Well, I didn`t try to relive it, I just buried it:)

Anyway, it can`t beat Ubuntu 12.10, because it`s been 100% stable for me, and it can`t get much better than that:)

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer