SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2013-03-13 19:17:18

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Who we are outside of the forum

A fat retired 62 year old.  big_smile

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#102 2013-03-14 11:53:33

apm
#! Junkie
Website

a 19 year old who has almost given up on life , and now counts his days of existence before finally disappearing into the void

sometimes all you need is to face the worst fear you have and to overcome it.

#103 2013-03-14 11:56:00

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

apm wrote:

a 19 year old who has almost given up on life , and now counts his days of existence before finally disappearing into the void

You always have the choice to make life great, it's in you.  Problems can be weathered, bad times endured.  It gets better if you let it.

#104 2013-03-14 11:58:12

apm
#! Junkie
Website

no offense intended but "haven't i heard that before"

#105 2013-03-14 12:49:40

dkeg
#! Die Hard

@apm, that's sad.  Well although this is a linux forum, it's also a community, and as others could attest to, many of us have had and shared our own stories.  At nineteen, there are challenges, but tbh, there are various challenges throughout life.  Its how and what we do to persist through that helps to make is who we are.
enough of that, lets get to some configurating!

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#106 2013-03-14 13:22:13

intoCB
Scatweasel

apm wrote:

At your age, I felt the same way. Just keep going.

Basically, a man goes through a transitional stage where he passes from a safe phase where his parameters are defined for him and he is protected (i.e. by his family, by the education system etc.) to a difficult phase (a.k.a. "real life") where he is expected to make things happen but doesn't really know what or how yet. Without knowing the particulars of your life, it's quite normal that at 19 you don't feel very positive.

Just keep going. You can mess up and start again any number of times in the next ten years. Concentrate on making things happen and keeping your promises.

#107 2013-03-14 15:42:37

apm
#! Junkie
Website

intoCB wrote:
apm wrote:

At your age, I felt the same way. Just keep going.

Basically, a man goes through a transitional stage where he passes from a safe phase where his parameters are defined for him and he is protected (i.e. by his family, by the education system etc.) to a difficult phase (a.k.a. "real life") where he is expected to make things happen but doesn't really know what or how yet. Without knowing the particulars of your life, it's quite normal that at 19 you don't feel very positive.

Just keep going. You can mess up and start again any number of times in the next ten years. Concentrate on making things happen and keeping your promises.

can mess up and start again in the next 10 years , you gotta be kidding me thats not an option
in my case , i'd rather commit suicide than fail.

#108 2013-03-14 16:41:59

hinto
#! Windbag

I'm Batman
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#109 2013-03-14 17:37:29

sevensage
#! CrunchBanger

Figured my 100th post should be a little bit about myself, I am a 45 yr old male living in Europe at the moment but from Montreal, Canada. I have been happily married for 18 years with 2 wonderful daughters. In 2006 I lost my son of 5 yrs to a rare heart condition which makes me a moody person I guess. I'm working as a software distribition analyst for IBM which is basically a packager of internal software on various accounts, distributing them around the world and running reports which allows for plenty of free time as you might imagine. I've been using Crunchbang as my main distro for the past couple years and never looked back although I test various other distros on my netbook which I share with my wife which is why you may see some odd screenshots of Openbox with desktop icons and a start button. I was frequenting the forum as a guest often enough to grow *fond of the regulars and the pleasant atmosphere within the forums to make me want participate.

great to make all your acquaintances and appreciate some of the most intriguing posts on the net.

Edit: *fond corrected spelling

Last edited by sevensage (2013-03-14 17:43:41)

dig +short txt crunchbang.wp.dg.cx

#110 2013-03-14 17:58:34

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Sorry to hear about your son, sevensage. I do have a question: why the hell would you leave beautiful Canada for stinky Europe?! big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#111 2013-03-14 18:04:02

sevensage
#! CrunchBanger

Thank-you Unia for the kind words, great question, my wifes business I guess would be why we made the move, I could work from any location fortunately but I am seriously considering making the move back home.

#112 2013-03-14 18:05:19

dkeg
#! Die Hard

very sorry to hear about your loss sevensage.  Having children myself, can't even imagine.  Thank you for sharing your story.

#113 2013-03-14 18:11:30

sevensage
#! CrunchBanger

Thank-you dkeg, God bless

#114 2013-03-14 19:38:42

saneks
#! Die Hard

apm wrote:

apm, when you publicly write words like this, I assume you want to talk about that.

and secondly, doubts and failure are part of life. you grow stronger and learn. lots of us felt similar, but feel good with themselves some time later. dont give yourself up, man. good times will come.

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#115 2013-03-15 08:48:16

fatmac
#! Die Hard

@sevensage
Sorry for your loss.

@apm
We all fail, miserably at times, but we learn to overcome adversity, you are on that learning curve, you will get by, & hopefully for you, better times are ahead. Don't dwell too long on past mistakes. Find something new & go forward.

Linux since 1999
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

#116 2013-03-16 01:58:55

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Hey, guys ... I am a 65 year old Registered Architect living and working in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. I have twin-daughters and 1 beautiful grand-daughter of 9-months.  I lost my Significant Other (of 32 years) in a house fire, a little over 3 months ago.

I have been a Linux user for several years.  Started with Fedora way back when. Moved to 'buntu for about 2 days, then found LinuxMint. A short while later discovered Crunchbang (then Ubuntu-based).  I use either Openbox or Fluxbox WMs.

I am a Moderator for a couple of Forums - LinuxMint Forum, LostintheBox (Fluxbox) Forum and Ask.Debian.net   Also, an official Debian-Maintainer for the Fluxbox WM package.  Check out my work at http://vrkalak.deviantart.com

Since, Wheezy/Waldorf went into the 'freeze' I switched my sources.list to reflect the Sid repros. (just to play around)
I am discovering that I rather like Sid (unstable).  After Wheezy/Waldorf goes stable, I might just keep this install of Sid on-hand and have another partition with a 'stable+backports' Debian/Crunchbang on it (for work).

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#117 2013-03-16 02:25:55

dkeg
#! Die Hard

vrkalak, I am so sorry for your loss.  Thank you for sharing your story.

#118 2013-03-16 02:34:27

hammy_283
#! Member

sevensage and vrkalak, I am sorry for your losses. The only family member that I was really close was my grandfather. Who has died about three years ago on boxing day. Hey apm, if and when you want to talk to someone, message me. I may not have alot of answers but sometimes it is better to have just someone listen. Anyways, not to be rude but I will change the subject. I am 29 years old and an Marine Engineering Technician. I have been using linux off and on for a few years, ranging from ubuntu to puppy to linuxmint (which I use on my laptop right now). I have been using Crunchbang for about three weeks now and I don't think I will use anything else on my netbook, thanks Crunchbang. So, I think that is enough from me. Thanks.

#119 2013-03-16 02:48:55

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller

sevensage wrote:

Figured my 100th post should be a little bit about myself, I am a 45 yr old male living in Europe at the moment but from Montreal, Canada. I have been happily married for 18 years with 2 wonderful daughters. In 2006 I lost my son of 5 yrs to a rare heart condition which makes me a moody person I guess. I'm working as a software distribition analyst for IBM which is basically a packager of internal software on various accounts, distributing them around the world and running reports which allows for plenty of free time as you might imagine. I've been using Crunchbang as my main distro for the past couple years and never looked back although I test various other distros on my netbook which I share with my wife which is why you may see some odd screenshots of Openbox with desktop icons and a start button. I was frequenting the forum as a guest often enough to grow *fond of the regulars and the pleasant atmosphere within the forums to make me want participate.

great to make all your acquaintances and appreciate some of the most intriguing posts on the net.

Edit: *fond corrected spelling

That is incredibly sad Sevensage.

@vrkalak, my friend that is so sad to hear.

My condolences to both of you.

I almost lost my son to a severe asthma attack almost three years ago, it was the worst possible way to learn mouth to mouth but it was successful and luckily I still have him here.

Last edited by Dobbie03 (2013-03-16 02:50:12)

#120 2013-03-16 09:51:01

fatmac
#! Die Hard

@vrkalak
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Linux since 1999

#121 2013-03-16 12:44:10

cism

"Geeetting-to-KNooooooOOw Yooouuuu.....gettin' ta  noez alll aboooouUUT YOuuzz...."

I am a caffeine-and-adderall-and-mj-soaked 33 year old Seattle-ite. I have quite a few tattoos (my eyebrows are in fact large tattooed dots, and they look quite pleasant tyvm), my earlobes are all big and stuff, and many hours worth of professional (and maybe a few minutes here and there of not-so-professional) scarification decorating my boday.

Besides my children (a 7-year old daughter from previous marriage, and a 4-month old son from my current domestic bliss), music pretty much rules my every waking ambition. Unfortunately, since I am both a full-time student, and primary caretaker of my son for ten hours a day/five days a week - I don't really get time to play much right now. They're only babies for a year or so, and my Assoc in Network Design should be done around then. I am going to school because I was a high school dropout, and have held near forty jobs since I was fifteen. And I wanted to see what Algebra was all about...

In my twenties, while I was charming and BSing my way into whatever tech support job I could get my hands on (and pretty much whatever cutie was around in similar fashion), my nightlife consisted of entertaining the drunk goths and punk rockers in my community with a team of friends, forming Bardo, which became the first suspension-oriented performance troupe around these parts... anyway. I have always had a knack with all things IT related but have never delved deeply into the science of computing. Thanks, MS! Looking back, I realize that it was after DOS and DOS based Windowing went by the wayside that my fascination with the challenge of interpreting and organizing data using mere text also seemed to decline - hence my eventual propensity towards network configuration (routers, switches and looking at packets and stuff), but since I had never had much formal schooling (and zero concept of intermediate mathematics outside a rudimentary guess), and my social life was always *so awesome*, I never learned to stay at home for hours sitting in one spot learning to program or to format HTML or any of those sorts of things...When I was a teen, all those sorts of times were spent hunched over a guitar.

Then! ...then of course kids came into my life and everything sort of cranked to a slow grind in regards to personal growth or what have you. My passing interest became a necessity to provide the hungry mouths piling up...I got frustrated as learning curve sort of plateued when I was working at Microsoft's campus in Redmond under contract with Xtreme Consulting...it was a Tier 3 Exchange job supporting stupid quantities of servers across vast stretches of the globe hosting email for pretty much the richest five hundred or so companies out there ...my friend who'd worked with me a few years' previous at Speakeasy.net got me this job.  I mean, I am not stupid or anything, and have comfortably worked as a T1/Bonded T1/VoIP and back-end ISP support lead as well as small-business consultant here and there....but not much experience managing Microsoft servers. I charmed and schmoozed and bullshat my way through an interview (they were just happy I knew where Event Logs were, and that I knew how to subnet some IPs on a markerboard ...which I barely did and now don't anymore).

Anyhow...I learned that as complex as MS Exchange was, and as effed up as the culture there is towards those striving to learn, I did learn to "push the red button, do a dance but stop half-turn and pray to Quork. Drip three drops of water on target C, while holding a decent phone conversation and documenting procedures outlined in Intranet Zone - TwelveKnockBirdie. That will fix it for now until we have the real engineers look at process dumps and get back to you when it's fixed. Now, keep going Monkey, press that Red Button!"....I learned how to do all that...and learned a tiny bit about Powershell and some other stupid shit. I hated working graveyards, it was killing my home life. They wouldn't pull me off the shift. Nothing but idiots and delerium. I drank. Oh boy did i Drink. All the time. For years, right? But during this period...it was more to medicate. But then we got preggers with Jude, and I lost that job. I decided okay now time to get serious (I guess..). And just stopped. There's just a point where... well anyway.

Digging into Linux (part of my program offered an Essentials course, so I took it, then took it a little farther than the course outlined), and kinda not so angry about tech  or computer stuff anymore. For a bit, I just kept hoping N. Korea would set of a Neutron bomb over the US and knock all these stupid boxes offline, ya know? But, after some D-hopping and effing up a ton of installs, post installs, and environments which just suck - I am back here, using good ol' Waldorf while my baby son watches the real Waldorff make fun of the Muppet world around him just as I tend to do to those bystanders willing to lend an ear (or eyeball) to my gluttonous use of ASCII characters or phonetic sounds.

At least I didn't fill the page up with pics of my tats. big_smile That could be an intersting off-topic tho.

-[cism]

#122 2013-03-16 16:19:53

apm
#! Junkie
Website

lets try again shall we

i am "apm" a 19 year old university student (junior year CS bachelors )
i am  also a tech writer for various magazine publications in my country the most famous being EFY group's "opensource for you "
for whom i did an article on #! in september 2012 .
i have been on *nix for 3 years now .

#123 2013-03-16 19:08:47

intoCB
Scatweasel

apm wrote:

lets try again shall we

i am "apm" a 19 year old university student (junior year CS bachelors )
i am  also a tech writer for various magazine publications in my country the most famous being EFY group's "opensource for you "
for whom i did an article on #! in september 2012 .
i have been on *nix for 3 years now .

That sounds really great. You should be very proud.

Don't look at failure as failure. Look at is learning i.e. I did it like that, it didn't work out. I now understand that the best way to do it is this etc.

Board footer