SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#201 2013-01-22 17:54:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Doing Something about the Wiki

Agreed the attached "talk" page is probably the best way to go, but I don't thing the current wiki supported them, which is why I suggested having an associated forum thread instead.

At this point we don't know what software any new #! wiki might run on, or whether it would have talk pages or not.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#202 2013-03-07 11:28:45

Microcord
#! Member

A year ago, I created two wiki pages (for Statler).

"LOCALES enable Japanese input", I'd now update for Waldorf as described in " enabling Japanese (a mere draft)"

"KEYBOARD Swapping the CapsLock and the left Ctrl keys", I'd now update for Waldorf according to "swapping CapsLock and left Ctrl".

#203 2013-03-07 12:03:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The wiki is now locked down and nobody can update anything until Corenominal decides what to do with it.  neutral

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#204 2013-03-08 01:30:48

Microcord
#! Member

I know, I know. If it weren't locked down, I'd make the necessary emendations.

#205 2013-04-02 11:30:32

Hadret
Website

Any news in this regard? Is wiki coming back, or is the forum now all-in-one-place for documentation etc.?

#206 2013-04-02 11:58:24

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

It seems to me that it was made very clear in this thread that the wiki would remain in it's outdated state for the small portion of usable information and that we should all be using the forum for anything new.

#207 2013-07-03 04:52:00

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Wikis are good for centralizing answers, and forums are good for talk around a topic. The lifetime of either are at risk of becoming outdated and maintaining either is a task.

This is a totally out-of-field suggestion, but what if a OP could be somehow flagged as a community wiki, kind of like how the stackexchange range of sites do it? Then a search could only target those posts. That would satisfy the two not being mutually exclusive while still benefiting from the centralized knowledge store and the discussion surrounding them - traditionally this was simulated by the [HOWTO] tag in the OP subject.

Hang on, I just recall someone mentioning something that works similar... ah yes this post from a few back, yes I think this suggestion by VasOne fits the bill smile

VastOne wrote:

John, here is a link of a wiki post ported over to a thread that has worked very well.  The intent was to get the needed info here on the forum so that it could be used.  The responses and help has been ongoing.

Here is another link that I wanted to post on the wiki but instead created it here.  As you can see by it's history, it has been 'found' by several new users who have signed on to talk about it

I realize these are not as good as a wiki in that there is not much editing that can be done, except by the original creator.  My suggestion was to have a forum just for How To's ... where the 'Done/Finished' How To's would be available for everyone. Secondary parts of this forum would be suggestion, editing, staging and approval areas that everyone could be involved with.

Board footer