SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-02-25 07:26:03

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

Re: What kind of cellphone are you using?

pvsage wrote:

@Iranon & junkie:  Thanks for bringing this thread back on-topic.

@Infected:  I apologize for allowing - and even encouraging - this thread to become an anti-cellphone rant, and I sincerely hope you get some good advice on your choice of a new phone.

Sorry. But topics like these activate the Schopenhauer in me.  big_smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-02-25 10:21:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

They activate the Thoreau in me. 8o

#28 2013-02-25 10:23:06

wizard10000
#! Member

Razr v3m with a fat battery.  Great ergonomics and the thing will run for a week with bluetooth on.

Next time I'll probably get a smartphone but if it wasn't for employees texting in sick I'd probably stick with the Razr.  Texting on a numeric keypad is no fun.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
  -- anais nin

#29 2013-02-25 10:39:34

Infected

pvsage wrote:

@Iranon & junkie:  Thanks for bringing this thread back on-topic.

@Infected:  I apologize for allowing - and even encouraging - this thread to become an anti-cellphone rant, and I sincerely hope you get some good advice on your choice of a new phone.

[off topic] Every thread on every forum tends to go off the rails after a while. That's what i enjoy most on all fora, though i am glad that we got back on track (thank you @pvsage).

[on topic] I am kind of a smartphone freak, have owned more than 12 smartphones (10+ high-end droids, an iPhone 3GS, and a WP7 Lumia 800). Though i am quite happy with my OneS both in manner of cpu/gpu power, and OS useness, i got drafted to the army (serving is compulsory in my country). The major problem now is battery life, and secondly dual-sim usability for 3G. So if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

“The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
― William Gibson

Twitter

#30 2013-02-25 12:42:23

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

I envy those who can go about their lives/work without the need for a phone.

Anyways, currently use an iPhone 5 (black obviously, cos the white is queer). Do I like it? HELL NO. While I don't mind the mobile iTunes application for making actual purchases, I HATE having to sync the phone with the desktop iTunes just to transfer media, which basically means the Mac in my studio since I don't have one at home. The iTunes desktop app is the most L*onel R*tch*e piece of crap in existence - you can't get it to recognize the handset under wine, nor does it work under a windows virtual machine. I also hate the iPhone 5's new "long" form factor and the 16:9 aspect ratio. I hate that it doesn't multitask properly. I hate that stupid fabric background on the notifications pull-down. A lot more stuff I hate about it; could write a frickin thesis if I had the time/mood to do so.

Why do I have one? Well, simply because I hate the whole Android landscape even more. I don't have to reboot the iPhone  once every 14 days like my previous Galaxy Nexus or current Nexus 7 tablet. I don't have to constantly go to Settings > Apps > Running to track down and kill some application that went loco all of a sudden, lagging the entire OS with it. I don't have to put up with unacceptable audio latency levels that prevents the platform having any decent midi-controller whatsoever. I don't have to search through the reviews on the Google Play store just to check if an app can work on my device, nor do I even need to worry if there's a "port" of an application that someone recommended me (app selection on iOS, despite all that talk of skeuomorphism, is still better in a lot of ways, especially for niche stuff). The iPhone's battery life is bad, but at least it's not utterly dismal like most Android handsets. I don't have to worry about the OS "automatically" signing me into every single Google service just because it wants to. Best of all, I don't have to own another Samsung product ever again!! The only thing I probably like about current day Android are the handset sizes. 5" 1080p is awesome for browsing once you've tried it.

Biggest difference is that iOS/Apple actually want a non-Yank like myself to buy stuff from them. I have to cheat a bit, but I'm pretty sure Apple knows what I'm doing anyway. All I need to do is create a US iTunes account (I live in a Starbucks somewhere in Seattle) and buy a bunch of iTunes gift cards, and I have access to the whole library of Music, Books, Movies , Apps etc. With Google's Play Store for Android, I can't do the same because Google uses the usual IP triangulation thing to determine that I'm an enemy of the state and don't deserve anything more than their badly curated apps. No books, mags, music.. zilch!! Play Store gift cards weren't in existence when I first created my Android account, but from what I've heard, you still need a credit card to activate them the first time, so my lack of a Congress Bailout Inc issued credit card will still prevent that even if I were on my VPN connection.

Long story short, both platforms suck balls, so I just chose the one that fails less often. What about WP 7/8, you ask? Microsoft's habit of producing santorum operating systems on the desktop cost me my job once, so I'm not going back to them (I'm very unforgiving of companies that fail me while I'm on a job). Blackberry is still too new, and most of their benefits are targeted at corporate penguins (black and white suits), which I'm not. Meego got killed by Nokia (though I still have, and love, the N9). Tizen is currently run by Scamsung, a corporation whose levels of evil make Apple and MS look like saints in comparison.

Blah blah!!

TL:DR - don't bother reading this post. Smartphones are stupid!!

Last edited by gutterslob (2013-02-25 12:48:08)

Point & Squirt

#31 2013-02-25 12:59:40

Infected

@gutterslob : So you are waiting for Firefox OS or Ubuntu (like me).

If the implementation of Ubuntu is (at least) decent, we will be talking about a game changer (imo). The boundaries between desktop Linux and mobile Linux (because Android is - at it's base Linux) will be blurred (finally)

Last edited by Infected (2013-02-25 13:00:04)

“The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
― William Gibson

Twitter

#32 2013-02-25 13:16:58

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

gutterslob wrote:

Meego got killed by Nokia (though I still have, and love, the N9).

Jesus, that thing makes me wanna cry. Nokia could have moved all of their Symbian business to MeeGo, in a year's time it would have gotten the best software selection, and all the minor bugs would have been fixed. Just imagine an N11 with MeeGo 3.x. The Swipe UI is infinitely better than any other mobile interface, you just enable the developer mode and get a root terminal...

#33 2013-02-25 13:39:15

scket
#! CrunchBanger

Had a HTC One X for nearly a year.

Really pleased with it.

#34 2013-02-25 13:42:10

foxh0und

Samsung Profile - actual usage? Talking and texting. Who do I talk to too? More time vampires than I care for. Texting is the same.

My next phone: The Spareone and a pager. Get a gsm sim card for your area and pay as I go. No interface - forcing me to go truly old school and carry a little black book (do anyway.) And it takes AA batteries. No more lost cords.

I vaguely remember my pager days - had a simple system where I asked people to type 11 then their phone # for emergency return call, 22 for non-emergency (delegated to family,) 33 for non-emergency (friends,) 44 for business, etc. Have to dig that up. A pager has more advantages than any phone. The ultimate screener. A page can use the lowest of the low signal to get through. The signal is a dumb broadcast so it cannot be used to triangulate your position...for those who care. smile Very durable - my phone would literally lockup at -50 and colder, but I had my pager going strong at -60 on a ski trip. And my old trusty motorola took AAA batteries - no lost cords!

Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!

#35 2013-02-25 13:56:20

shinji_rei

Motorola Defy+

IP67 certified - I'm going tough on that baby

with a costum rom (white rabbit based on kang/cyanogenmod).
But yes indeed, those smartphones are pain in the a**.
Not durable on battery & annoying attention catchers.

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

- D. H. Lawrence

#36 2013-02-25 17:30:40

km00
#! CrunchBanger

sorcerer's_apprentice wrote:

Well, you got me beat on that one. I was actually one of the last person's hunting down the good old tapes in electronic stores before they took most of them of the market. I loved them. But then the internet took over, my walkman broke - and so I switched over to mp3.

Okay, so I exaggerated a little - Even though I do own a walk-man that witnessed Bob live,  I don't carry it around, I'm sure you remember how big them fuckers were (are!)

Anyway, you may all proceed with your mobile phone talk  big_smile

Under a Rock with a 6gb connection

#37 2013-02-25 17:57:26

TeoBigusGeekus
#! Die Hard

To all smartphone deniers, have a look at this.

Please make Autocad Civil 3D and Archicad work on Linux!

#38 2013-02-25 19:34:08

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Gutterslob makes me feel kind of good about doing the odd-ball thing and buy a Nokia running Nokia Belle (new name for Symbian) rather than any of the more fashionable systems :-)

Not that I really needed that rant -- I am pretty happy with how it works and it is improving with every system up-date.

/Martin

#39 2013-02-25 20:03:13

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@TeoBigusGeekus:  I'm still holding out for a smartphone that, when answered, snaps out into a form factor that resembles an actual Dreyfuss telephone handset.

#40 2013-02-25 20:18:44

TeoBigusGeekus
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

@TeoBigusGeekus:  I'm still holding out for a smartphone that, when answered, snaps out into a form factor that resembles an actual Dreyfuss telephone handset.

That would be so hipster...
Close enough:
http://safe4work.org/wp-content/uploads … essory.jpg

#41 2013-02-25 21:10:06

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I see what they did there. neutral

#42 2013-02-26 01:13:32

crash_harddrive
Website

I'm running a Galaxy Nexus - the "Google Phone" purchased from Google Play, it's awesome. The sad thing is that I mostly use it for a phone and don't really use most of the web stuff. Old school phone user...

Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly or idiot-friendly.

#43 2013-02-26 02:47:57

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

Palm Pixi Plus using Kitty Wireless, a Page Plus Cellular dealer.

If you have alot of question about cellphone, I suggest asking in HoFo

http://www/howardforums.com

Joke: If you use a smartphone, you are smart,  If you use a dumb phone, you are dumb.
Your IQ will jump as you switch from a dumb phone to a smartphone.

Sheng-Chieh

#44 2013-02-26 03:36:58

rickmetta
Website

The cheapest TracFone you can buy w/ minimum minutes prepaid each month...lol. I work and go to school from my home/office, keeping gmail open, and using the Google phone from my inbox. Free US and Canada; 2 coppers /min for the UK and India. Oh, and it forwards to the prepaid cell when I'm out shopping for food or hardware. It works for me.  tongue

#45 2013-02-26 04:57:59

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller

scket wrote:

Had a HTC One X for nearly a year.

Really pleased with it.

Yeah I really love my own too.

#46 2013-03-02 11:26:24

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Huh, I've just chacked my local equivalent of Craigslist, and there's a girl in my hometown selling a Nokia N9 for 90 bucks. One of the carriers has been selling it for chump change with the bigger up-your-ass contracts. The email went out straight away.

Here's to hoping it's actually a girl who wants an iPhone instead and is looking to ditch the N9 because it doesn't run Whatsapp, and not a child molester or scam artist.

#47 2013-03-02 12:09:16

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Samsung Galaxy SII - Works pretty good for me, and I can play games why i poop now.

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#48 2013-03-02 12:17:47

zalew
#! Junkie

extended entertainment capabilities while taking a dump is one of the biggest perks of having a smartphone.

#49 2013-03-02 13:41:55

Zisis@CrunchBox

proud owner of a Nexus 4 for over a month now and with the latest 4.2.2 Android, the phone is just amazing!
cant describe the level of happiness when I first turned on developer mode... tongue

Last edited by Zisis@CrunchBox (2013-03-02 13:42:20)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#50 2013-03-02 14:12:24

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Hey you Meego lovers, have you heard of Sailfish?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Board footer