SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-15 13:14:08

intoCB
Scatweasel

Re: Thoughts on the death of hacktivist Aaron Swartz

The Samaritans typically ask would-be suicides "Who's going to find your body?"

If you're reading this and feeling unhappy about some problem in your life - not necessarily that bad but just unhappy - try now to just think of another person you know who is facing some difficulty.

Try just for a moment to think of something you could say or do that might make that person's problem a little less.

Now imagine them thanking you.

Do you not now feel a little better yourself? I'd be surprised if you didn't.

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-01-15 13:44:46

bozhkov
#! Junkie

IntoCB, I can't really see you aim with that topic and you do, indeed, seem to contradict yourself with your pseudo-philosophical ramblings. Comparing somebody's choice to do what he did, whatever his psychological state was, to your vulgar nonsense about wining and who should fight whatever battles. I am sorry for not toning it down enough, as far as I can see so far the topic was discussed in relatively polite manner given its very provocative nature, but I guess I am just not evolved enough for that.

#28 2013-01-15 15:16:33

intoCB
Scatweasel

Sorry if what I wrote appears provocative to you. It was only meant to be engaging.

I wrote it Sunday morning shocked and moved by the suicide of a 26 year old man.

His family is proud of him standing up for what he believed in but they have still lost a child. If he had known where it would end up, would he have still gone ahead with his activism?

Sometimes the best thing with life is simply to live it. But sometimes people lose sight of that. Would Aaron Swartz have been any less of a brilliant man if he'd remained the Reddit guy? I'm not judging his final choice, just wondering if he was the right guy to fight that battle.

The point about the Samaritans demonstrates that the experts believe rational thinking can help. I was told I was wrong to seek a rational solution to an irrational problem.

Vulgar nonsense?
Pseudo-philosophical ramblings?

These appear to be assertions that I personally don't agree with, so I'm not sure how to respond to them. What was written was my opinions and heart-felt beliefs. I thought I articulated them reasonably well. If you'd like to discuss specific aspects of what I wrote, or if you still believe I am contradicting myself, feel free to do so here or PM me.

I am just interested in a case like this not repeating itself. We can leave it here if you like.

Last edited by intoCB (2013-01-15 15:32:53)

#29 2013-01-15 17:22:28

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Perhaps it is time to close it?  Your call

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#30 2013-01-15 18:33:14

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

http://www.artificialeyes.tv/node/1002 the work continues (here and elsewhere too, like http://aaronsw.archiveteam.org/  )

#31 2013-01-15 20:47:47

pvsage
Internal Affairs

intoCB wrote:

The Samaritans typically ask would-be suicides "Who's going to find your body?"

If you're reading this and feeling unhappy about some problem in your life - not necessarily that bad but just unhappy - try now to just think of another person you know who is facing some difficulty.

Try just for a moment to think of something you could say or do that might make that person's problem a little less.

Now imagine them thanking you.

Do you not now feel a little better yourself? I'd be surprised if you didn't.

It's been stated far more eloquently earlier in this thread, but again, suicide ideation and depression simply don't work like this.  (Source: living with depression for 20 years.)

@VastOne:  I concur.

EDIT:  If anybody would like to see this thread re-opened, please PM a moderator.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-01-15 20:54:55)

Board footer