SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#326 2012-12-11 13:41:04

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

"The Wind Through the Keyhole" -Stephen King


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#327 2012-12-11 16:09:54

drlove601
#! Member
From: United States
Registered: 2011-12-01
Posts: 56

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (in case for some strange reason you didn't know who wrote it wink)

Offline

#328 2012-12-11 16:21:27

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,108

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

One of my favourite theory guys, and a book I've read countless times but keep coming back to:

Michel de Certeau - The Practice of Everyday Life (1984).

Offline

#329 2012-12-12 03:43:13

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
From: Fort Worth, Texas
Registered: 2010-04-07
Posts: 2,303
Website

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

drlove601 wrote:

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (in case for some strange reason you didn't know who wrote it wink)

Just downloaded Lord of the Rings, all in one volume as an e-book. We NEEDS to read it again!


"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Offline

#330 2012-12-12 13:26:17

scket
#! CrunchBanger
From: West Midlands
Registered: 2009-01-16
Posts: 221

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

Offline

#331 2012-12-12 16:11:53

drlove601
#! Member
From: United States
Registered: 2011-12-01
Posts: 56

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

merelyjim wrote:
drlove601 wrote:

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (in case for some strange reason you didn't know who wrote it wink)

Just downloaded Lord of the Rings, all in one volume as an e-book. We NEEDS to read it again!

lol Nice...yeah I wanted to read The Hobbit again before seeing the movie. Books are usually better than the movie, but I still enjoy watching.  I just try not to look at them in the same way...they are separate entities.

scket wrote:

I'm looking forward to reading:
Fifty Sheds of Grey: A Parody: Erotica for the not-too-modern male

That should be a good read to say the least...

Offline

#332 2013-01-06 01:26:47

nebulaehair
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-01-05
Posts: 268

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

Are any of the #! Community members here avid readers? If so, are you reading any awesome books you think might pull someone's interest towards reading it as well? The purpose of this thread is to share your favorite books and authors so we can all enjoy that great feeling that comes from reading a book.

For me, I've been in the middle of devouring Catherine Fisher's novels (Currently in the middle of Incarceron and it's fantastic).   

Also: If you have a goodreads account be sure to leave it here! ^ ^ v

here's mine.


"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Offline

#333 2013-01-06 01:57:36

arclance
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2012-03-29
Posts: 987

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

I like a good Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Mystery/Detective Novel.

The "Chronicles of Solace" trilogy by Roger MacBride Allen is one of my favorites.
I don't know anyone else who has read it though.

I am reading the Dresden Files series right now.
It's a Fantasy-Detective Novel how could I not like it?

I don't have goodreads account (never heard of it) but I might make one.
I would take me quite a while to list everything I have read though, I have enough here to give them their own room.

Offline

#334 2013-01-06 02:37:01

nebulaehair
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-01-05
Posts: 268

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

arclance wrote:

I like a good Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Mystery/Detective Novel.

The "Chronicles of Solace" trilogy by Roger MacBride Allen is one of my favorites.
I don't know anyone else who has read it though.

I am reading the Dresden Files series right now.
It's a Fantasy-Detective Novel how could I not like it?

I don't have goodreads account (never heard of it) but I might make one.
I would take me quite a while to list everything I have read though, I have enough here to give them their own room.

Oh man the Dresden Files are hella good. I like Jim Butcher's style of writing a lot. Haha that's good. Do you read ebooks too? Or prefer  that special tacticle effect that a physical book gives you? Goodreads is great if you want to keep track of everything you've read or want to read in the near future. It helps me a lot since I'm not that orderly.  I heard good things about "Chronicles of Solace" I might as well add it to my books-to-read list!

Last edited by nebulaehair (2013-01-06 02:37:51)


"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Offline

#335 2013-01-06 02:59:46

arclance
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2012-03-29
Posts: 987

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

^ I prefer a real book but I keep some ebooks on my phone so I have something to read anywhere I go.
I made a goodreads account and put a few books on there.
I can read a normal size paperback in 18-24 hours, I used to go through a book a day when I was younger and had more freetime.
I have read so many books because of that I don't remember them all, I don't know when I might get that list close to done.

The "Chronicles of Solace" is more Hard Sci-Fi than some people like, which is why I think it is less well know.
I really liked it because of that though and I reread it occasionally.

Offline

#336 2013-01-06 02:59:52

VastOne
#! Ranger
From: V-Ger
Registered: 2011-04-26
Posts: 10,165
Website

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

Merging with

Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?


VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

Offline

#337 2013-01-06 03:25:17

nebulaehair
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-01-05
Posts: 268

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

Had no clue there was a thread about books already. Guess that's why my thread got moved to here? Anyways, I've been enthusiastically gouging on Catherine Fisher's novels. Finished Incarceron, and started Sappique (the sequel). I also want to get back to The Hunger Games trilogy and TRY to finish A Song of Ice and Fire.


"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Offline

#338 2013-01-06 03:27:14

VastOne
#! Ranger
From: V-Ger
Registered: 2011-04-26
Posts: 10,165
Website

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

nebulaehair wrote:

Had no clue there was a thread about books already. Guess that's why my thread got moved to here?


Yes.  There is a search function that is a magnifying glass on every page, top right.

You have excellent taste in books BTW


VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

Offline

#339 2013-01-06 03:32:28

nebulaehair
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-01-05
Posts: 268

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

cbdxs wrote:

I don't know which book to read. War and Peace by Tolstoy or The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

Those are still great picks!


"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Offline

#340 2013-01-06 03:33:34

nebulaehair
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-01-05
Posts: 268

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

arclance wrote:

^ I prefer a real book but I keep some ebooks on my phone so I have something to read anywhere I go.
I made a goodreads account and put a few books on there.
I can read a normal size paperback in 18-24 hours, I used to go through a book a day when I was younger and had more freetime.
I have read so many books because of that I don't remember them all, I don't know when I might get that list close to done.

The "Chronicles of Solace" is more Hard Sci-Fi than some people like, which is why I think it is less well know.
I really liked it because of that though and I reread it occasionally.

I sent ya a friend request there. The website is fun because it lets me see what books you've read and stuff. Oh, is it as sci-fi as Gravity's Rainbow? That book was so HARD for me to finish, but when I finished it it gave me this "AHHHHH, I DID IT!!" sort of relief.


"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Offline

#341 2013-01-06 03:34:46

nebulaehair
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-01-05
Posts: 268

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

VastOne wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:

Had no clue there was a thread about books already. Guess that's why my thread got moved to here?


Yes.  There is a search function that is a magnifying glass on every page, top right.

You have excellent taste in books BTW

Ah thanks! I think this will become my favorite thread to visit on here. I love #! and to see that a lot of the members here are avid readers makes me so happy :3


"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Offline

#342 2013-01-06 03:54:27

arclance
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2012-03-29
Posts: 987

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

nebulaehair wrote:

Oh, is it as sci-fi as Gravity's Rainbow? That book was so HARD for me to finish, but when I finished it it gave me this "AHHHHH, I DID IT!!" sort of relief.

I have not read Gravity's Rainbow so I can't compare the two but it won't make you grab a reference book unless you don't know what a wormhole is already.
It is not "Star Trek" style Sci-Fi, it is darker and has quite a different flow than that more like a Noir detective novel.

Last edited by arclance (2013-01-06 03:55:13)

Offline

#343 2013-01-06 04:08:32

nebulaehair
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-01-05
Posts: 268

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

arclance wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:

Oh, is it as sci-fi as Gravity's Rainbow? That book was so HARD for me to finish, but when I finished it it gave me this "AHHHHH, I DID IT!!" sort of relief.

I have not read Gravity's Rainbow so I can't compare the two but it won't make you grab a reference book unless you don't know what a wormhole is already.
It is not "Star Trek" style Sci-Fi, it is darker and has quite a different flow than that more like a Noir detective novel.

Ah then I'll be alright with it. I'm actually an aspiring sci-fi horror enthusiast. So I know my way around these terminologies. Don't worry about it. I'm also a trekkie! smile If you ever find yourself reading Gravity's Rainbow, man, you're in for the wildest of rides.


"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Offline

#344 2013-01-12 16:22:01

DanielMii
Banned
Registered: 2012-12-29
Posts: 58

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

I read the 'Raven's chronicles'. 3 tomes in the series.

Offline

#345 2013-01-12 19:58:18

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

Jumpman Rule #1: Don't Touch Anything -James Valentine
-Hinto


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

#346 2013-01-12 20:28:14

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 1,591

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

I am reading A Game of Thrones at the moment, really enjoying it.

Offline

#347 2013-01-14 19:52:47

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
From: South Africa
Registered: 2011-01-14
Posts: 879
Website

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

I'm busy with Porn, the sequel ten years after Trainspotting.

How do you find GOT, @Dobbie?

Offline

#348 2013-01-14 20:06:49

zhogan85
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2011-10-02
Posts: 114
Website

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

Dobbie03 wrote:

I am reading A Game of Thrones at the moment, really enjoying it.

I recently finished A Dance with Dragons (book 5 in the US, 6 in the UK), and cannot wait until the next one! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long. How do you like A Game of Thrones? Another great series that I think is just as good, if not better, is Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles, the two books published so far are The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear.

Offline

#349 2013-01-15 00:35:52

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
From: Fort Worth, Texas
Registered: 2010-04-07
Posts: 2,303
Website

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

Reading Linux Format magazine (Feb 2013) on Google Play store.
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/linux-f … -magazines
Worth checking out.  smile


"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#350 2013-01-15 01:22:26

JLloyd13
#! Member
Registered: 2012-08-08
Posts: 83

Re: Readers's Post: What BOOKS are you reading, if your hardware is OFF?

I'm half way though the Hobbit (Or There and Back Again) by J. R. R. Tolkien. I plan to move on to read the Lord of the Rings. I watched the movies over Christmas break and now have an unhealthy addiction!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo