SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-11-24 17:40:38

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Re: The Firefox Lover's Mega Thread

^ Awesome ! smile

EB: +1,002. lol

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2012-11-24 18:19:09

dura
Bloated Gimp

I just downloaded firefox nightly, and have been thinking of using either nightly or iceweasel aurora. For no real reason really, just testing.

I have nightly working fine, but when I exchange iceweasel for firefox in cb-hotcorners iceweasel still opens up. I have put the firefox folder in /usr/share/applications and restarted my machine, but not sure how to go about getting it working. I have not put it as the default browser as I do not think this should make a difference. What is the method I should be using here?

Thanks.

#28 2012-11-24 19:03:27

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Am using openbox v 3.5.0-4 ... the syntax should be similar and easy to figure out if it's diff though in #!.

In menu.xml ( right click menu.)

<item label="Firefox">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>/firefox -P "Firefox"</execute></action>
  </item>

When selected, it launches FF using the "Firefox" mozilla profile.

In rc.xml

<keybind key="F5">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>fox</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>/firefox -P "Firefox"</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="C-Down">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>fox</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>/firefox -P "Firefox"</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Above ... have two diff keyboard shortcuts defined to launch FF, when press F5 or when Control + Down ( down arrow key) same thing happens ... Again telling it to use the profile called "Firefox". Would read that how to on running several versions of Firefox on #!.

Further explanation of the junk above. I set up a symlink ( symbolic link) and called it /firefox ... Made a new profile with the mozilla profile manager called Firefox. It's covered in the babble how to and symlinks and then some are covered in a link included there at the top.

I should type an updated babble how to ... Am lazy + all of it still works and should give someone a dang good idea how to get the job done anyway. Only real refinements being instead of leaving a visible folder called firefox sitting in your /home directory I've taken to stashing FF in a dot folder instead so it's hidden. A dot folder or file ... simply means you put a dot ( one of these > .) in front of it ... ie: A folder called .Browsers ...

Why ? Dot files/folders are hidden ... aren't visible until you want them to be. ie: In thunar hit control + h to unhide the dot files/folders in your /home, hit it again to hide them again OR go to the top toolbar in thunar, click view ... select "show hidden blahblahblah's".), click it again to hide them again.

Why is this important ? It's not ... think it's just cleaner looking not having a visible folder called firefox sitting in my /home directory, shrugs.

Used to have latest stable FF, aurora and nightly and latest IW version running on the #!/etc and it's poss to run pretty much every version of FF since time began this way and Ivan shows peeps in this thread how to set whichever of them someone wants as the default browser. Gave up on it ( 4-5 diff versions of da fox.) though due to updatitus.

As mentioned ... am getting tired of updating the dang release version, Mozilla is shooting out new versions of Firefox so often now. Constantly updating 4-5 diff versions, across 3 OS's ? Errrrr ... for me, no thanks. big_smile Argggg ... though you can leave them set to automatically update anyway. Being a decidely distrustful person ... prefer doing it manually ... Thus turned into a real PITA for me.

Edit: Also if for some reason ... whatever that may be, someone was running FF v 5.0/etc. If it's left set to automatically update itself ... errrr ... it will try to do so. Thus kinda defeating the purpose. In other words ... blahblahblah n blah. big_smile

Sidenotes: Think it's a good idea to use descriptive words for your symlinks and mozilla profiles ... Just a preference though. Obviously a symlink or a new mozilla profile you make doesn't care what you choose to call em, will work fine regardless ... more shrugs.

Btw: We are soooooo @ this pt hijacking all hades out of Sir Ivan's thread folks ! Opting to not participate further and should've PM'ed ya Dura ... sighs. But figured if going to type all this out anyway ( arggghhh!), may as well post it somewhere ... Someone perhaps may get a use from it.

eb: +1,003 n Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-24 19:22:13)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#29 2012-11-24 19:37:59

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

No problem BiZKit, I am not a dominator. big_smile
But the idea with the dot folder is not bad even though I find it not necessary on my box.

Also to all, keep in mind, the how-to is here to get more or less rid of the Weasel entirely.  ]:D Therefore I will still let the paragraph about removing this fake browser be there in the how-to.  cool

If you want to use Aurora/Nightly/Beta, you would still make the same and when you throw the Weasel away you also have not to be worried about the mozilla profiles. I never run more instances of the Fox anyway and if I would it would not be together with the Weasel, e.g. FF Nightly and Aurora side by side makes sense or Beta and Release.

#30 2012-11-24 19:43:27

dura
Bloated Gimp

Thanks cbizgreat! and Ivan, You are great!

Last edited by dura (2012-11-24 19:45:07)

#31 2012-11-24 19:48:42

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Knew as much me friend Ivan ( errr and Dura too.) ...

Also never doubted your info for a sec, it did work as you said it would. Only that have mucho respect for ya, have learned much from info you've shared too. Heard tell ... FF was going to be packaged for #! in da forums.

Ahhhh ... Corenominal must've gotten busy with life/etc. Cannot hold that against him or anyone ... It happens. Also o course +1 the not really understanding IW vs FF thing ... arghhhhh. It's one of many things I'll likely never understand in this world. lol

Oh well ... did try to offer feedback + suggestions. Found out ( as expected ) the how to worked fine for me. Now have FF set as default ... been wanting that for a longggggg time. W/o having to dork with work arounds ... Was annoying clicking on a webpage I'd saved and having IW launch. smile

Vll! wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-24 19:52:07)

#32 2012-11-24 20:29:53

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Btw: Dura  :8 Thanks fellow nixer.

Only fekhead I ever try to impress in this life ... is me. lol Errrr ... I often fail in that simple goal too !!! lol But thanks for da smile Dura ... It's Sat and good gawd(s) am a tad bit buzzed by this pt, still always ... ALWAYS endeavor to be honest. Errrr ... WHY in da HEEL do people keep insisting bizcuit is "brutally" honest ?!?!??! Lmao ... Oh well, tis what it tis ... I accept this ... as it's true dammit ... I do that anyway.

While @ same time could accuse soooo many of them for being "brutally" dishonest !!!!" Whatever ... if start typing I wuv you man .... Respectfully request @ least a temp ban. lol

Vll! wink

PS, Am voting for let's all listen to some good tunes and forget about all else for awhile fellow nixers. Cya's later. big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-24 20:32:39)

#33 2012-11-25 02:33:29

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

What is Iceweasel?

Iceweasel is a fork [from Firefox] with the following purpose :

1. backporting of security fixes to declared Debian stable version.

2. no inclusion of trademarked Mozilla artwork (because of #1 above)

Beyond that, they will be basically identical. (quoting Roberto C. Sanchez post in debian-devel mailing list)

By using the Aurora package, you bypass even the security fixes Debian declares.

How Iceweasel is a fake browser or there is a need to remove it is questionable.

Corenominal had been supplying the updates for FF but he has since stopped them and they are no longer in the #! repo, most likely for the purposes of staying closer to debian with Iceweasel.

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#34 2012-11-25 08:35:00

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

How Iceweaselis a fake browser or a need to remove it is questionable.

Agree's w Vast too and Ivan as well though at the same time. Even agree w meself ... the IW vs FF iz imo silly overall anyway. Though it's Debian ... They don't/shouldn't need to explain every widdle thing to me imo. Being a mozilla fanatic and a FOSS fanatic now  ... of course have researched the topic a bit.

Prefer FF ... even if it's just a name or icon. Yep silly ... like everything gnu/nix, some say this ( they are diff), some say that ( Nahhhh same browser ... just called summin else blahblahblah.) In my experience ... Never had a problem w IW ... Still want and figured out how to have FF anyway. tongue

When comes to "security" ... Kinda obvious that Mozilla is doing all the heavy lifting (jmo), as it should be. Debian does FOSS ... Mozilla specializes in browsers ... blahblah. Leaving off on this, as it's a slippery slope of endless babble from which there is no return. lol

Mostly posting for the sake of posting n letting folks know survived da intoxication. tongue Had to see what I'd posted too ... Thankfully, nuttin tooooo embarassing or stupe ... whew ! smile The dangers of DAK= ( drunk at keyboard.)

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-25 09:23:04)

#35 2012-11-25 12:01:13

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Let us not argue which one is better. That was not intended here. The thread is about Firefox not Iceweasel. Anybody who prefers Iceweasel, use it, ignore this thread and my opinion.
In the first part I said how you can get the newest versions of Iceweasel on Debian Stable!

#36 2012-11-25 22:15:59

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Those my friend are words of wisdom ... Very mature and I +1 them heartily. However having said/typed all that ...

Nah screw that ... Let's round up some pitchforks + torches ... Track Iceweasel down and beat da heel out of it !!!! Firefox rulez ... iceweasel droolz !!!

Am mostly clowning around folks ... Hard to resist a dorkish joke opportunity. tongue

#37 2012-11-25 23:23:59

dura
Bloated Gimp

Leaving off on this, as it's a slippery slope of endless babble from which there is no return. lol

Mostly posting for the sake of posting n letting folks know survived da intoxication. tongue Had to see what I'd posted too ... Thankfully, nuttin tooooo embarassing or stupe ... whew ! smile The dangers of DAK= ( drunk at keyboard.)

I see no reason to burn iceweasel- the squirrely little git does me well- but I empathize with the poster.

#38 2012-11-25 23:44:19

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Updated the lovers mega thread with some links and my preferred addons. Enjoy and of course leave the Weasel in peace.  smile

#39 2012-11-26 13:46:34

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Ok ... well I tracked down and cornered the dang weasel. It bit me and ran off ... DAM UUUUUU IW !

Yep ... ya got it ... still being a dork. Agree w Ivan + Vast +( lmao Dura smile ) People are free to use whatever they like, thanks to all the folks who made, maintain and keep up all the opensource goodness. Jmo ... end of the day, it's the end-users ( includ myself.) Who benefit from all this stuff anyway and try to be grateful for it here, shrugs.

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-26 13:47:00)

#40 2012-12-26 20:39:59

stratoka

Thank you good sir for this How To, really appreciate it'  smile

Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God).   -Matt Welsh-

#41 2012-12-26 22:05:51

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Thank you for appreciating it. You are welcome. Have fun with the Fox!

#42 2013-05-14 19:54:38

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is the only main issue I had with #! should've searched deeper in the #! forum for this thread to pop up before uninstalling it and moving back to linux lite  lol i'm just glad I stumbled upon this. I'm saving it to my bookmarks smile)))

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#43 2013-05-14 21:50:07

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

You are very welcome. Unfortunately I have no contract with Google. big_smile

#44 2013-05-15 02:51:04

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

ivanovnegro wrote:

You are very welcome. Unfortunately I have no contract with Google. big_smile

This is possibly the greatest community ever I've had the pleasure to meet. One of the reasons why people should get on the #! bandwagon wink

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#45 2013-05-26 21:26:53

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

when i did this

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

my firefox flash simply crashes and cannot function at all.  what did i do wrong?

and it says the status of my shockwave flash and java are "vulnerable"

Last edited by sexynsmartjenny (2013-05-26 21:27:55)

#46 2013-05-26 21:40:56

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

What says:

apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree

#47 2013-05-26 21:47:51

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

jenny:~$ sudo apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree
flashplugin-nonfree:
  Installed: 1:2.8.2+squeeze1
  Candidate: 1:2.8.2+squeeze1
  Version table:
 *** 1:2.8.2+squeeze1 0
        100 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

#48 2013-05-26 22:22:13

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Do you have other Flash plugins installed side by side like Gnash or from Debian Multimedia?

#49 2013-05-27 01:35:30

sexynsmartjenny
#! CrunchBanger

ivanovnegro wrote:

Do you have other Flash plugins installed side by side like Gnash or from Debian Multimedia?

I really don't know.  I just reformatted my computer and I am reinstalling everything.  I have firefox as well as iceweasel.

and fyi, I just removed iceweasel and retried everything and it still doesn't work

Last edited by sexynsmartjenny (2013-05-27 01:41:56)

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2013-05-27 01:52:38

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Let us check:

apt-cache policy gnash flashplayer-mozilla 

Also try it with a factory restored Firefox removing ~/.mozilla from your home folder. Ctrl + h will show hidden files in your file browser. You can put that folder elsewhere if you do not want to lose it for the test.

And what says this site:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Board footer