SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-20 22:42:26

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Does this Debian issue concern us?

Hey, all --

Other than the fact that they call the Debian version "Squeezy" (a hybrid between Wheezy and Squeeze?), is this something we should pay attention to?

http://news.techworld.com/security/3412 … y-rootkit/

I'm not that up on security issues, but I wish I were. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-20 23:24:10

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: Does this Debian issue concern us?

Well, if you're not running an ngnx server, you can rest easy.

After trying to hook into important kernel functions and trying to hide its own threads, Snasko sets out to take over the target system

OH NOEZ IT'S GONNA TAKE OVER MY SYSTEMZ!!!!11!!!1

Well, no, it does a few things in order to inject an iframe to the ngnx server program. Meaning, once it's done its thing, its function is to have the server redirect visitors from one site to another. It's not crawling your computer and stealing data. I'm not a security expert wither, far be it from that, but I've at least read the entire post by crowd strike instead of just copy pasting a few bits. It's mostly your typical "dumb journalist copy pastes shit and makes it sound worse than it is".

Edit: lol@Squeezy.

Last edited by el_koraco (2012-11-20 23:24:34)

#3 2012-11-21 00:30:49

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: Does this Debian issue concern us?

el_koraco wrote:

It's mostly your typical "dumb journalist copy pastes shit and makes it sound worse than it is".

Yes, well this dumb journalist really didn't understand the ramifications, and therefore asked. Thanks, el_koraco, for the explanation. smile

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Board footer