SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-04 12:38:10

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Video tearing fix

This morning, I have updated the compton-git and cb-pipemenus packages with a potential fix for video tearing. Note, it is a partial fix and does not remove tearing entirely, but attempts to limit it to the top region of the screen. While this is not perfect, I have found it a vast improvement. More information about the issue can be read here: https://github.com/chjj/compton/issues/7

Anyhow, to try the fix, perform a system update:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And then restart compton via the Openbox menu item 'Settings -> Compositor -> Restart Compositing'.

Below is a handy video to help test whether or not the fix makes any difference:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCPkOpMHB7g[/video]

Video download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/369845/tearing-test.mp4

Last edited by corenominal (2012-11-04 12:42:31)

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-11-04 12:53:15

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Video tearing fix

Cool, yeah it makes a big difference. I also experienced tearing when moving apps across the screen, and this has sorted that out too. Thanks big_smile

Edit: the tearing test video just hypnotised me as well.

Cluck cluck....

Last edited by dura (2012-11-04 12:54:48)

#3 2012-11-04 13:17:17

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Look into da moving white bar ! You are getting sleepy ... sleepy ! In my case you are getting kinda dizzy ... dizzy, dizzyyyyy ! World spinning ... bar keeps going back/forth .... back n forth !

Ignoreth me ... Slightly drunken atm ... sighs. tongue

Vll !

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2012-11-04 13:51:53

pvsage
Internal Affairs

[sigh] Yet another reason to hate ATi/AMD APUs...some slight tearing in Statler w/o compositing...

Although, I only see it on such things as that oscillating bar...don't really notice it on regular video media.

#5 2012-11-04 14:15:40

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

pvsage wrote:

[sigh] Yet another reason to hate ATi/AMD APUs...some slight tearing in Statler w/o compositing...

It's much worse with Intel cards. You need a proper compositing WM like Mutter or Kwin and VBlank sync to avoid horrendous tearing and very specific mplayer output options to be able to watch videos. AMD and NVidia are actually much better in this case.

#6 2012-11-04 17:40:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ OK.  Um, I mean "Yaaaaaay." neutral

#7 2012-11-04 23:51:49

mynis01
#! Die Hard

You can just make a hotkey that disables compton, starts your media player, and then once you close the media player it starts back up again. I'll paste instructions on here when I get back from dinner.

#8 2012-11-05 01:01:08

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Ok so in ~/bin I have two scripts. This first one can be used to simultaneously start a program and disable compositing:

#!/bin/bash
##no-comp.sh
## a little script to disable cairo compositing, if it is running, when executing a
## program.

if [ -z "$(pgrep compton)" ]
    then
        $*
    else
        killall compton
        $*
        compton &
fi
exit

If you use cairo-compmgr, metacity, compiz, etc. you can just replace all the instances of "compton" with that particular program. Then this other script just simply runs that script with your media player (in this case smplayer2) as the target. The purpose of this script is just so you can make a hotkey to open that media player without the compositioning:

#!/bin/bash
##smp2no-comp.sh
##disables cairo-compmgr when mplayer starts then re-enables it upon exit
bash no-comp.sh smplayer2

I use two 1080p monitors in twinview so my resolution is 1920x2160. Pretty much any composition manager causes noticeable tearing for me, especially since the monitors don't have completely identical refresh rates. Thanks to this script, any time my media player isn't open I still have pretty desktop effects, HTH.

#9 2012-11-05 05:47:14

rockon1215

Wow. I get less tearing with compositing enabled than disabled now. Nice job corenominal (and obviously the compton developers) and great job on the website redesign as well. #! keeps getting better and better.

#10 2012-11-16 18:59:18

stratoka

Well, i`m using #! for quite a while now, i was never disappointed neither with the distro, nor the community. But meh, this fix, im waiting for this like for 3 years. Thank you very much CruncBang devs!

Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God).   -Matt Welsh-

Board footer