SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#551 2012-08-01 04:34:21

GamBit
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

#! is the only distro that fits my needs and wishes out of the box.
I like the colors, functionality and it is fast.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#552 2012-08-02 15:28:58

letku

I've used crunchbang earlier on my old laptop ,because it's light,but now I'm using it on my desktop too.
Simplicity and the fact that it's debian are also important because I'm quite used to debian and it's derivatives.
This is my first post on this forum, and I hope I'll write many more wink cheers to you all #!

#553 2012-08-02 15:52:52

iamnutz
#! Member

#! is great, while linux-mint,ubuntu,fedora etc all work well they all seem to bog down after some usage. I prefer a faster simpler interface and install apps I want including tweaking for sound/video. #! allows just that I really enjoy it. I remember building an entire BBS from a program called Terminate (DOS 5) from scratch and was more popular than all the sysops running their Wildcat-PcBoard software here in south Jersey.

Thanks to all who have contributed to building a great OS in #!

#554 2012-08-08 04:10:56

JLloyd13
#! Member

well at first I wanted to use debian but have it more preconfigured. then I became aa foss fanatic, and now I no longer run #!. but the debian forums move slower so I said hey #! and debian are just about the same.... anyway, I run openbox on my debian but a bad package from sid took out alot of my stuff so now its gnome for me.

#555 2012-08-12 11:39:01

vlahonick
Banned

fast, functional, debian based

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."
Isaac Asimov

#556 2012-08-17 03:28:08

Zilvarael
#! Member

Simply put,
- Most modern distros are to bloated
- Easy to use and customize.
- Simple Interface
- Dark like my soul! (xD Kidding xD)
- Fast OS!!

All the usual things of usual stuff big_smile

| Earth is the insane asylum of the universe... Maybe that is why UFO's dont want to land here. | Waldorf: 32Bit! big_smile |
| Lead Android App Developer for: Lions Images Productions, LLC | Other names: CodeMonkeyAlx - My Git |

#557 2012-08-17 04:02:20

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Maybe I'm wrong in this, but I feel like Crunchbang is more Unix-styled in its configuration than most other Linux distros.  You get the feeling for one application per task and most if not all of the configs are there in plain text.

If that's not true, then it's just something I like about the way it feels.  And I think this is probably my 3rd response to this thread :-p

Last edited by orionthehunter (2012-08-17 04:02:44)

#558 2012-08-23 15:44:31

Chris740

I first tried Linux years ago. My old Windows XP laptop got bogged down with to much junk and slowed to a crawl. I'd heard Linux required fewer resources and could perform better on older machines, so I tried to download Linux. After learning of the variety of distros (I was at first surprised I couldn't just download plain old Linux), I picked CrunchBang because it looked like the lightest noob friendly build.

While I liked CrunchBang, I felt switching to Linux was more trouble than it was worth, and stayed in Windows until I saw the previews of Win8. I'm enough of a chauvinist to stick with American products when practical (I'm an American).But seeing Windows 8 I was appalled by the poor craftsmanship, and concerned about the ramifications of the app store. So I will be putting more work into Linux this time. Hopefully I will be able to do without Microsoft when I'm done (If gaming picks up on Linux, I'll be able to free the disk space Vista currently occupies).

I hope to set up my own LFS build, if only to learn more about Linux. It's nice to have a smaller setup that's easier to understand and control. Ubuntu or Mint might be easier to get into, but I like CrunchBang because it doesn't hide everything behind a GUI. The dark theme and simplicity of the interface bring up memories of learning Assembly language in my teenage years.

Last edited by Chris740 (2012-08-23 15:48:41)

#559 2012-09-01 04:59:55

berbs

I use #! because it is what it says it is, no excuses.. Light,nimble and fast.

I dual boot with NetBSD, so I spend alot of time on the "other side",  but there are a lot times where one could fight for  hour on the command line or reboot to #! and be done with it. ( USB printing especially! )

Maybe the answer is in my last statement..Hmmm

Be kind, I think highly of both OS. tongue

#560 2012-09-09 12:38:34

adamt222

At the risk of sounding redundant, I'd say I use Crunchbang because it simply fits my needs.

I'm the type of computer user that likes a machine to boot up somewhat fast, and (more importantly) be responsive.
I also favor keeping older systems running in favor of frequently upgrading (although the time is getting close at hand [LOL])

Crunchbang delivers for me. Short list below of "just why" it does...

• It (#!) has kept several of my old computers (over the years) from the trash bin.

• It is one of the quickest booting distros I've used. The only one that was faster was Archbang,
    but that was (to be fair) a very bare minimum installation.

• The Community (via this forum) is amazingly fast to respond with helpful solutions.

• Even with the disclaimer that it might make ones system go "crunch- bang" I cannot recall the system ever breaking down. Applications may crash, sure - but the OS as a whole, I find #! very, very stable.

Cheers;
Adam

Last edited by adamt222 (2012-09-09 12:39:50)

Adam
Linux user # 480776
http://counter.li.org/

#561 2012-10-01 01:05:26

DogMatix

It's zippy deb based no commercial bloat. You can tweak it 'til it bleeds. &&  I like the name.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#562 2012-10-01 01:07:27

super.luser

DogMatix wrote:

&&  I like the name.

This.

So totally this. wink

I luse superbly, with style and aplomb.

#563 2012-10-01 02:08:20

Herpy
#! Member

Because it does stuff right.

Wm: Openbox

#564 2012-10-06 05:31:38

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

I use #! because Openbox is an excellent halfway point between a pure command-line system (such as minimal Debian) and the more resource-intensive option of relying on a GUI.

#! comes in particularly useful on what will soon become a functioning home web server, a project I have been working on with a friend for several months now; neither he nor I are yet competent enough with the Linux command line to be able to manage/edit files, etc. without some sort of graphical lifeline, but even Xfce was too 'heavy' for the box we are working with. The 'dynamic duo' of #! and Openbox is the perfect middle-ground.

BINARY HARMONY! big_smile

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2012-10-06 05:34:04)

#565 2012-10-06 14:39:38

ew
#! Die Hard

Well, my reason to start using Linux, is that I was getting bored by being a lojal MS-follower since Windows 3.11, or was it 2.11? Well, something like that. Furthermore I dislike the direction MS has chosen with IE8 and Metro. Then I started by testing a lot of distros, and found that Linux Mint with Cinnamon was a bit to heavy for the cpu in this old laptop. Ubuntu with Unity was running a bit better, but Unity is going in the same direction as MS and W8, and I seriously dislike the direction towards the touch-screen hell. It would have been ok, if it still could be optimal for use with mouse and keyboard, but it`s not.

Anyway, I started trying out smaller distros and lighter desktops. Mint with XFCE worked very well, but I found it a bit boring as I also did with Xubuntu and Lubuntu. Then I tried PeppermintOS for a while, and really loved it. Then almost by chance I found a cd with Crunchbang that I  earlier had put a side when I failed to get wireless to work. Now was the time to have a second go at it, and from the moment I got wireless to work, then I was 100% sure that this will be my linux home. Sure, I will always leave some partitions for testing and fiddle with other distros, and unstable #!-distros, but a stable Crunchbang will always be my linux-base.

I love the look and feel of it, and it is very fast and light on resources. I also love the way CB is using the "workspace-switcher" on the top. Switching between 1, and 2, always seing what is open in each desktop. I probably could have configured it similar in other distros, but I would never  have thought of doing it exactly as CB has. It`s elegant in all it simplicity. Just a detail, but a detail I really love.

Hopefully #! will be around for a long time without getting as big as Ubuntu and Mint, because then CB would also stray in the wrong direction, making distros for people who can`t do anything by themselves. It needs to have a certain geek-feel to be appealing to me. Just not to much, like Arch:)

- apt-mark hold account

#566 2012-10-16 11:09:02

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

20121015_095718.jpg
Tried doing a file transfer the Windows way, but was told I didn't have admin permissions.
Reboot #!, and Look Ma, I fixed it!
True, almost any LiveCD can be used for something like this, but #! almost always gets the hardware configuration done right...

Last edited by merelyjim (2012-10-16 11:13:48)

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#567 2012-10-16 12:42:38

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Wow, reading this thread is like looking into a #! time capsule.  Very cool to see what people thought of it in 2008.

#568 2012-10-16 13:29:18

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@merelyjim:  I notice the Motorola walkie on the desk and the framed (de)motivator poster; it's nice that your employer gives you that much leeway with your hardware!  (Ours is literally locked down with secure boot and a BIOS/UEFI password. roll)

#569 2012-10-16 14:03:53

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

There's leeway to fix a customer's machine, and in this case, Linux was to only way we could make it happen - the other two Windows-centric guys failed. Our work machines are so crippled by Oracle lock-down, they don't work very well as computers. I use my Android phone for most tasks through the day than using one of them... smile
Oh, and beginning a phrase over the walkie with "sudo" means nothing to them... tongue

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

#570 2012-10-16 14:51:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^

bash: sudo: command not found

lol

#571 2012-10-16 15:55:10

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

I've used Debian since 1997.  Gave up on Windows 1997.  Been using commercial UNIX since the 70's.
I used FreeBSD before 1997 and also Slackware, RedHat, and also dabbled in Mandrake, Suse, and I just can't remember them all.  I typically had a couple of Distro's on my hard drive.  But, I've always pretty much had Debian as my main OS. 

And then came Ubuntu.  I don't want to make this a tear on Ubuntu too badly but, I've got to vent here...
Ubuntu's core/heart/underside has turned into a badly undeveloped, un-maintained, poorly tested, mess.
I've sit here and watched Fedora and Suse just develop right around Ubuntu on the underside.  And then there's applications like their software center.  The software {brownout} center.  Why is it when I'm on Debian I can chalk up 25 programs to be installed in a row and not see one {brownout} yet we can not do the same in Ubuntu.  And then there is Unity.  I enjoyed Gnome 2 but didn't like Gnome 3 that much and just hate Unity.  What a waste of time.  And now with 12.10 we see them integrate Amazon into the desktop.  WHY???
Ubuntu is a badly running mess now, then they have to shove Unity at us and finally throw Amazon results which are BTW maintained on Ubuntu servers for there results...  It's terrible.

Why do I use Crunchbang and specifially Crunchbang Waldorf???  Well, I used Statler earlier and it was fine
except you had to do some things to get your USB headset to work right on Statler which I noticed they have fixed on Waldorf/Wheezy... 

Waldorf runs in like less than 120 mb of ram.  My entire install so far is about 8 gigs or hard disk.
It runs much faster than Ubuntu.   There is NO commercial crap on it.  It has this pleasing grey overtone.
I have learned to use conkey thanks to the conkey threads.  I accept the menu system the way it is and agree that having control over your own menu's is better than allowing a committee to design them for me.

I stand before you all today to talk about the Waldorf install disk.  Take this disk in note....
When it boots, the broadcomm drivers are already active and I can use my wlan from my dell portable.
I open the web browser and plug in my headset.  I go to YOUTUBE immediately and begin to play the cranky
video of that Australian woman cussing out all men.  Her audio is coming through the headset quite nicely after a few simple adjustments via the built in mixer....  AND I PONDER THIS QUESTION...  not about women...
But the fact that I have probably the ONLY install disk in the entire planet which has allowed me to access
my WIFI, use my Headset, and listen to some cranky Australian woman president without having to install any drivers at all!  I installed NOTHING..  NOTHING...  There is NO other distro out there which has this capability.

I was in a state of awe over this. 

And then there was the install,,,   The Install took me under 10 minutes to accomplish.  This is a record.
After I rebooted, I would guess I spent about an hour clicking on all of the buttons to install additional stuff,
then added googleearth and virtual box and  few odd things manually with aptitude and some editing. 
But, it's so much easier for me to install Crunchbang than anything else.
Crunchbang runs so much faster and uses less memory than anything else.
And I have complete control over what get's installed and what I throw away as dependencies are somewhat easier with this install.

And to add insult to all of this, Waldorf has not been officially released yet.  It's months away.
So, I'm running sort of an Alpha,,, well,,, Beta of sorts..

And because it's based on Debian instead of trash, it actually works..

I have lost all desire I ever had for Ubuntu and it's offspring like Mint. 
I still have interest in the Fedora project as I do appreciate core product improvements, but nothing else
really.  I am also testing for Fedora 18.

But, since February 2012, I've used Crunchbang and I think it will stick with me.  I have this feeling as it has not been trashed like I've done my other OS trials.  It doesn't irritate me to the point of wanting to trash it.
The pitafull part of this is, I probably will not try Debian Wheezy XFCE when it's finally released. 
I just don't have the desire.  In fact, I'm so sick of the desktop scene now, my heart has been shattered.
I shake my head in disgust at the Gnome developments and realize that many people have coded on that project for many years and had a great desktop and all that has been thrown in the trash now.  And my heart is sickened by this. Just sickened by corporate sillyness. 

Chasing the tablet.  That's what we were told about Unity, it was to chase the tablet.  Now they ask for donations and want to sell their FREE CD's.  Building corporate infrastructure without having any place to go.

I'm glad I will retire from this business in another 10 years.  It may very well be that ONLY community based OS distro's like Debian will bring forth actual human progress on the desktop.  The rest just don't seem that damn concerned about userbase...

One last word on Crunchbang and openbox, conkey and all that.  This desktop is functional.
I'm looking at a task bar.  And up on this 'task bar' we see my wireless connection, volume control, calender thing, battery and some other items but most importantly we see this little green thing known as skype.
See, with Gnome 3 there is no place for our little green skype friend to go..  skype is not welcome in Gnome 3 land.  Don't know about Unity but, there IS a home for my skype monster on the Crunchbang taskbar.

This desktop and it's underpinnings is more than functional and fast.   I've seen no reason to get rid of it.
It has stood the test of time with me.  And conkey is fun to play with.

#572 2012-10-16 19:49:50

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^ As I have heard it, a great many things are a bit odd in Gnome3-land... lol

#573 2012-10-19 04:43:50

FDDIcent

I'll be honest, I've been an Apple guy for years and years. I love Apple over Windows because of the Unix foundation, which is why I've started working more with Linux. I love the idea of an open source environment which draws me to Linux, but as an Apple guy the look and feel of the OS is critical to me being able to use it for work. I've tried Ubuntu and for security testing I use Backtrack, so KDE for Ubuntu which I hate and gnome for Backtrack which I hate less. Too many menus and gloss, I wanted simple clean design and easy access to the few programs I need to use. A friend showed me #! and right away I fell in love with the UI. he showed me the shortcuts and I knew I had to install it. It's only been a couple days but it's been hard to walk away from my laptop now, also hard to go back to my OSX environment. This is what an OS should be like; simple, functional and gorgeous.

#574 2012-10-23 04:58:32

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

kd5ob wrote:

I've used Debian since 1997.  Gave up on Windows 1997.  Been using commercial UNIX since the 70's.
I used FreeBSD before 1997 and also Slackware, RedHat, and also dabbled in Mandrake, Suse, and I just can't remember them all.  I typically had a couple of Distro's on my hard drive.  But, I've always pretty much had Debian as my main OS. 

And then came Ubuntu.  I don't want to make this a tear on Ubuntu too badly but, I've got to vent here...
Ubuntu's core/heart/underside has turned into a badly undeveloped, un-maintained, poorly tested, mess.
I've sit here and watched Fedora and Suse just develop right around Ubuntu on the underside.  And then there's applications like their software center.  The software {brownout} center.  Why is it when I'm on Debian I can chalk up 25 programs to be installed in a row and not see one {brownout} yet we can not do the same in Ubuntu.  And then there is Unity.  I enjoyed Gnome 2 but didn't like Gnome 3 that much and just hate Unity.  What a waste of time.  And now with 12.10 we see them integrate Amazon into the desktop.  WHY???
Ubuntu is a badly running mess now, then they have to shove Unity at us and finally throw Amazon results which are BTW maintained on Ubuntu servers for there results...  It's terrible.

Why do I use Crunchbang and specifially Crunchbang Waldorf???  Well, I used Statler earlier and it was fine
except you had to do some things to get your USB headset to work right on Statler which I noticed they have fixed on Waldorf/Wheezy... 

Waldorf runs in like less than 120 mb of ram.  My entire install so far is about 8 gigs or hard disk.
It runs much faster than Ubuntu.   There is NO commercial crap on it.  It has this pleasing grey overtone.
I have learned to use conkey thanks to the conkey threads.  I accept the menu system the way it is and agree that having control over your own menu's is better than allowing a committee to design them for me.

I stand before you all today to talk about the Waldorf install disk.  Take this disk in note....
When it boots, the broadcomm drivers are already active and I can use my wlan from my dell portable.
I open the web browser and plug in my headset.  I go to YOUTUBE immediately and begin to play the cranky
video of that Australian woman cussing out all men.  Her audio is coming through the headset quite nicely after a few simple adjustments via the built in mixer....  AND I PONDER THIS QUESTION...  not about women...
But the fact that I have probably the ONLY install disk in the entire planet which has allowed me to access
my WIFI, use my Headset, and listen to some cranky Australian woman president without having to install any drivers at all!  I installed NOTHING..  NOTHING...  There is NO other distro out there which has this capability.

I was in a state of awe over this. 

And then there was the install,,,   The Install took me under 10 minutes to accomplish.  This is a record.
After I rebooted, I would guess I spent about an hour clicking on all of the buttons to install additional stuff,
then added googleearth and virtual box and  few odd things manually with aptitude and some editing. 
But, it's so much easier for me to install Crunchbang than anything else.
Crunchbang runs so much faster and uses less memory than anything else.
And I have complete control over what get's installed and what I throw away as dependencies are somewhat easier with this install.

And to add insult to all of this, Waldorf has not been officially released yet.  It's months away.
So, I'm running sort of an Alpha,,, well,,, Beta of sorts..

And because it's based on Debian instead of trash, it actually works..

I have lost all desire I ever had for Ubuntu and it's offspring like Mint. 
I still have interest in the Fedora project as I do appreciate core product improvements, but nothing else
really.  I am also testing for Fedora 18.

But, since February 2012, I've used Crunchbang and I think it will stick with me.  I have this feeling as it has not been trashed like I've done my other OS trials.  It doesn't irritate me to the point of wanting to trash it.
The pitafull part of this is, I probably will not try Debian Wheezy XFCE when it's finally released. 
I just don't have the desire.  In fact, I'm so sick of the desktop scene now, my heart has been shattered.
I shake my head in disgust at the Gnome developments and realize that many people have coded on that project for many years and had a great desktop and all that has been thrown in the trash now.  And my heart is sickened by this. Just sickened by corporate sillyness. 

Chasing the tablet.  That's what we were told about Unity, it was to chase the tablet.  Now they ask for donations and want to sell their FREE CD's.  Building corporate infrastructure without having any place to go.

I'm glad I will retire from this business in another 10 years.  It may very well be that ONLY community based OS distro's like Debian will bring forth actual human progress on the desktop.  The rest just don't seem that damn concerned about userbase...

One last word on Crunchbang and openbox, conkey and all that.  This desktop is functional.
I'm looking at a task bar.  And up on this 'task bar' we see my wireless connection, volume control, calender thing, battery and some other items but most importantly we see this little green thing known as skype.
See, with Gnome 3 there is no place for our little green skype friend to go..  skype is not welcome in Gnome 3 land.  Don't know about Unity but, there IS a home for my skype monster on the Crunchbang taskbar.

This desktop and it's underpinnings is more than functional and fast.   I've seen no reason to get rid of it.
It has stood the test of time with me.  And conkey is fun to play with.

Extremely well said. I agree entirely. smile

Be excellent to each other!

#575 2012-10-28 23:59:13

intoCB
Scatweasel

It was initially installed as a lightweight distro for a dying pc, following the recommendation of Puppy Linux World on Youtube - and I thought it was so great I adopted it as main OS. Especially as Ubuntu 12.10 was giving me gyp.

Debian is great but it's like some Communist country that after the revolution has purged itself of its artists as "bourgeois reactionaries" :

apt-get purge artists

. And why the LXDE version comes with the whole LibreOffice including Base is anyone's guess.

But yes, #! combines looks, functionality and speed, as well as a great community. And echoing the thoughts of others here: many distributions come with too much bloat.

Last edited by intoCB (2012-10-29 00:00:36)

Board footer