SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-10 06:51:22

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

[SOLVED] external IP adddress

hi Guys,

this is not a crunchbang issue, it is more a "noob ignorance" issue, I tried googling but could not find anything, I just thought that maybe some of you could help.

I recently discovered the beauties of ssh, I had to connect to my old folks' computer from my computer to make a backup and fix some settings and i did the public and private key thing and everything went fine (apart from being a bit slow or crashing when I tried to forward also X).
i connect with something like ssh user@old_folks_computer_ip_address
what i would like to avoid is to keep asking my mum or my dad for their IP address.  (they said thei are experinecing some system freeze with their ubuntu 8.04 and I suspect I will have to connect several times to investigate the issue...)

So this is the question: is there a way to find out the IP address of a computer from another computer?
What i know is the computer hostname, geographically where it is located, the name of the isp provider and the last external Ip address I used.

thanks for your help

m

Last edited by mcarni (2009-06-14 15:34:07)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-06-10 06:55:37

Toolz
#! Die Hard

Re: [SOLVED] external IP adddress

How about dynamic DNS? Alternatively setup a cron job on their computer which does a wget to a script on your machine or another server which records the IP address.

#3 2009-06-10 10:58:14

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks Toolz,

dynamic DNS, i had no idea such a thing existed, I am at work, so I just did some quick googling and it seems it does exactly what I need.

Thanks
i will look into it, as soon as I have some more time

M

#4 2009-06-10 12:39:37

fhsm
#! Junkie

DynDNS is great.  I've found that setting it up with a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT is really an amazing setup.  You can do 'static dhcp' on your lan to get host names (helpful once inside) and the router takes care of keeping your dyn dns updated (helpful for getting to the front door).

#5 2009-06-14 15:33:39

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

FHSM, Toolz,

just wanted to say thanks, it worked perfectly, got my account on dyndns.com, and then installed inadyn via ssh on my mum's computer...

now i need to do some troubleshooting (even if now apparently with the computer lying on its side instead of standing vertical there are n more hiccups... we will see)

THANKS

M

#6 2009-06-14 18:22:52

Toolz
#! Die Hard

Glad to see it's working. You got it to lie on its side via SSH too?

#7 2009-06-14 19:33:05

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

big_smile
funny enough, i didn't do much, I copied all the logs from my mum's computer to my computer and I was planning to read them tonight...i wouldn't know where to start from, but probably I won't need them... my approach would have been long and tedious...my mum had a different idea, she opened up the computer vacuum cleaned the insides and looked for loose connections, she didn't say but i wouldn't be surprised if she banged "gently" with a hammer, just in case...then today she said she thinks it is all sorted, she believes that lying on the side it is also less noisy...we will see...

thanks again

M

#8 2009-06-14 20:07:58

Gallumbits

careful, don't tell everyone the trade secrets, all us I.T. folk need job security  wink

#9 2009-06-14 22:59:56

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Gallumbits wrote:

careful, don't tell everyone the trade secrets, all us I.T. folk need job security  wink

lol

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

Board footer