SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-13 02:27:20

falldown
#! Samurai

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-05-13 03:50:49

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Re: 50 places Linux is running...

I find it hilarious how people don't want to use FOSS because they consider it insecure, but the DOD and all these clandestine government organizations use it. I'm usually one of the first people to point out that performance isn't always superior in Linux (at least on the desktop) but one place it is undeniably better is security. All this bit-locker stuff they use in Windows server is a joke. I wonder when the rest of the government will wake up and realize that every single institution is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on proprietary software that makes their systems less secure.

#3 2012-05-13 05:12:00

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Mostly due to Redhat ... RH support and RHEL stuff am sure is nowhere near free. But fact that folks with endless pockets ( other people's money o course, so price is no object) choose it hands down. Is a testament to what gnu/nix can do. Also ... they are already well aware they're paying a fortune for subgrade software. When better is readily available free. They being the US govt, one of my favorite red headed step children.

Again though, it's other people's money, the people in this case the US taxpayer. You can rest assured M$ ( and others) have an army of lobbists passing around fat juicy campaign contributions. To ensure that the duly elected, keep opting to use expensive closed source. If remember right, to the tune of around 7-9 BILLION dollars a year ( can't remember exactly).

With all the same old excuses, security being a favorite, retraining costs being another. Though be darned if I see any real high learning curve between using most gnu/nix or proprietary software for the user. If ya can't figure out how to click an icon in nix and then click that thing that says Word processor under the Office category, just as ya would with M$'s stuff, to open a word-processor. Then that person shouldn't be using a pc anyway ( or getting a taxpayer subsidized paycheck.)  tongue

Many of the other govt's on the list, are just using common sense me thinks. Any modern organization is going to need software. Many of them realize they can get better for free ... So why pay a fortune to some tech-corp ? One that isn't on the list, but probably should be. Bill gates personal computers, guys too dang tech literate and brainy to use window$. Betting all his mainstay pc's run something Linux too. lol

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-13 07:19:59)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2012-05-13 07:52:24

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

CBizgreat! wrote:

If remember right, to the tune of around 7-9 BILLION dollars a year ( can't remember exactly).

That's the combined yearly marketing budget of all the pharmaceutical companies. Microsoft can maybe dish out a billion for all its marketing activities, but 7-9 billion just for seminars and stuff would put it in the Saudi Aramco league big_smile

#5 2012-05-13 12:06:59

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ lol

Yeppers, but gotta assume a few hundred millie in blood money and some cheap stock options buys a few friends and a tad of influence among the scumtastic, sell out sleazebags in the top political positions here in me native land. Sheesh, think a bunch of em would obviously sellout their country for a bag of roasted peanuts and a cold beer at a baseball game. tongue

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#6 2012-05-13 18:08:33

falldown
#! Samurai

Government and Military using Linux is of no surprise.
I'm just surprised that more Financial Institutes are not using it for security reasons.
All public schools and colleges should be using it and saving millions in tax dollars.. and for educational purposes.   

On the other side of the coin... If Linux became mainstream.. Would we lose our beloved Free Open Source?

#7 2012-05-13 23:17:35

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Was going to babble my butt off ... But gave myself a headache. So a simple imo, nope ... no need to worry about that. Too much sourcecode, too many places, regardless of whichever GPL or whatever, tons of stuff in trusts too and then there's always many places around the globe that aren't into intellectual property or copyrights etc anyway. Safe to say gnu/nix is going to stay free. Think if anything it'll only increase the interest in it and get more people involved. Which would have to be pretty dang amazing considering all the opensource that's already out there.

More than a tad of commercialized Linux, it's been around a longggggggg time. Isn't prohibited ( even encouraged apparently) by the uber geekdom who keep FOSS rolling along. From what I understand military yeppers, though the gnu/nix they use is nothing close to free. Sure RHEL support is just as ( or more expensive) than other closed source solutions. But obviously they are dang GOOD at what they do. Guess generals and admirals and other war mongering als, definitely don't want to get a BSOD when it's time to launch da nuclear missiles. Am sure there are many massive league financial institutions heavily relying on nix too. Though again ... one of the enterprise flavors.

Definitely agree w ya, that govt and any publicly funded educational organization should have to use as much FOSS as poss, by law. Again though ... the "law makers" aren't interested in what's best, right etc blahblahblah. They are interested in what lines their pockets the most. Squandering a measily 9billion a yr, in a country that's for all practical matters bankrupt, is chicken feed for them. All part of the plan ... the plans been chugging steadily along for the US's entire history.

Hopefully ... by some miracle changes perhaps. Is always possible, things don't have to consistently keep changing for the worse. Oops ... horrible babbling rant anyway. Sorry if gave whoever a headache too. It's your own fault though, ya know I tend to babble like a madman folks. tongue

Get's off soapbox ... a vote for gnu/Linux ... is a vote for freedom ! Elect Linux ... vll ! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-13 23:20:08)

#8 2012-05-13 23:43:28

falldown
#! Samurai

^
lol
I would never call your post babble CBizgreat!
More like a nugget of gold.. wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap!! big_smile

Definitely agree w ya, that govt and any publicly funded educational organization should have to use as much FOSS as poss, by law. Again though ... the "law makers" aren't interested in what's best, right etc blahblahblah. They are interested in what lines their pockets the most. Squandering a measily 9billion a yr, in a country that's for all practical matters bankrupt, is chicken feed for them. All part of the plan ... the plans been chugging steadily along for the US's entire history.

Sad, but true... I Couldn't agree with you more!!

#9 2012-05-14 00:48:31

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ That Sir ... is a high compliment, thanks.

Just goes to show, if someone babbles enough, eventually they're bound to say/type something that makes sense. tongue

Vl#! smile

#10 2012-05-14 08:42:57

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Truth be told, not every company would save money by switching to a pure FOSS model. I've heard stories of fortune 500 companies saving money by laying off IT staff and replacing unix/linux machines with windows ones, it goes both ways. Sometimes hiring competent admins is just as expensive as paying for software licenses, or hiring an outside firm for administration. Take the junior college I'm about to graduate from for example. A lot of the file server administration is done by teachers who never even figured out how to program their VCRs back in the day. Managing permissions and file shares and stuff in windows server is ridiculously easy, and a copy of Windows server 2008 Fundamentals to run on a file server is pretty cheap. Managing LDAP/Kerberos in Linux isn't quite as simple, all though SUSE/RHEL's GUI administration tools are catching up.

TL;DR: Saying all government organizations should switch to FOSS is taking it a bit far, and is also false. But it probably would benefit a lot of them to at least take a second look at using linux. IIRC, there's actually security regulations that prevent certain branches of goernment from using FOSS, which is pretty much based on FUD.

Board footer