SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#451 2012-01-26 06:09:13

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

hinto wrote:
kri5 wrote:

And then came Unity and Gnome3...argh!!!
Thanks Guys. big_smile

Same here...  I did install XFCE on statler, but now I feel at home with either Openbox or XFCE.
Thanks.
-Hinto

Just to see what it was like, I took Mint KDE for a test-run. After trying to use it for two days, came to the conclusion that Unity, KDE, and Gnome3 are all the same; and unholy mess to get anything done with, no matter how pretty. mad
[and I think I had a flash-back to Windows ME...]

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Be excellent to each other!

#452 2012-01-26 13:50:51

hinto
#! Windbag

^ KDE4 actually looks like Win7 wink, But KDE 4 was first.  I guess that makes Unity/Gnome 3 Windows Metro.
-H

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#453 2012-01-26 15:20:04

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^ ...and now, my head really hurts... lol

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#454 2012-01-26 16:12:23

hinto
#! Windbag

^
Pay no attention to the window decorations and the KDE "start button"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KDE_4.png
What do you think?

Last edited by hinto (2012-01-26 16:12:55)

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#455 2012-01-26 16:13:44

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

^ It looks like Win7. big_smile

#456 2012-01-27 01:17:33

kri5
#! Die Hard

merelyjim wrote:

Just to see what it was like, I took Mint KDE for a test-run. After trying to use it for two days, came to the conclusion that Unity, KDE, and Gnome3 are all the same; and unholy mess to get anything done with, no matter how pretty. mad

I remember Windows ME, that was my first OS apart from 3.1 which we used at work.
I recall that 9/10 times it would crash when trying to shut down and then on start up would run scan disk and reprimand me for not closing down properly, the cheek! tongue

#! Waldorf - 64bit - Xfce

#457 2012-01-27 01:28:28

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

kri5 wrote:

merelyjim wrote:

I remember Windows ME, that was my first OS apart from 3.1 which we used at work.
I recall that 9/10 times it would crash when trying to shut down and then on start up would run scan disk and reprimand me for not closing down properly, the cheek! tongue

Yea cheeky to say the least!
I never ran ME I heard the horror stories and stayed with my W2K.
Why do I run #! - gee, it's the only thing I've run since 2009 ... It just plain works!!!

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#458 2012-01-27 01:38:34

kri5
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:

Why do I run #! - gee, it's the only thing I've run since 2009 ... It just plain works!!!

I love the fact that #! works straight out the box, even the WiFi, no need to install anything.
I'd recommend everyone keeping a CD on hand for emergencies even if you have another OS installed.  Especially laptop users like me and you like to tinker and frequently screw your system up, I find the fact that I can install a fully functional OS in the time it takes the kettle to boil very satisfying. lol

#! Waldorf - 64bit - Xfce

#459 2012-01-27 08:28:25

crunchworksyeay
#! Junkie

hinto wrote:

^
What do you think?

Nice walls !

What is truth? said jesting Pilate; and would not stay for an answer. - Francis Bacon.

#460 2012-01-27 13:35:16

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

crunchworksyeay wrote:
hinto wrote:

^
What do you think?

Nice walls !

I totally missed the link hinto gave for the KDE desktop.

I'm guessing that OpenBox and Tint2 have grown on me so much that anything else is ... if I can't say anything nice don't say anything at all  In all honesty, if your computer has the power to run all the new DE's and the bells and whistles and bloat don't bother you ... go for it.

Every now I click on a program that doesn't start with "k" and I see alllllllll those dependencies.
Scares the hell outta my poor little 800mHz CPU!!!

Last edited by Sector11 (2012-01-27 13:37:12)

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#461 2012-01-31 00:21:52

ethrg
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I like #! because unlike a great many lighter distributions I have never felt like anything I need has been sacrificed, or as if the word "light" is slang for everything serious runs in the background.

I use it because I don't have to spend an hour tweaking my settings to let regular users mount USB drives or access the network.

I love it because when I want to show someone how great Linux can be I don't have to drop some serious knowledge or get them to accept the terminal.

Forums are boring, drinking is awesome.

#462 2012-02-12 12:50:30

xepointer
#! Member

Because crunchbang's mean is feeling the speed and explore the real face of operating system... smile Is this enough?

Everything that has a beginning has an end!!!

#463 2012-02-12 13:33:56

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

^ no it is not. please uninstall the distro.

big_smile

welcome to the community redpointer!

#464 2012-02-12 13:47:00

rizzeh
#! Member

because every time i install plain Debian OS from minimal CD it ends up looking like crunchbang,  Saves me time! smile

#465 2012-02-19 01:04:31

natura

"Why do you use #!Crunchbang"
They spoiled me and I can't go anywhere else.

Why did I replied to this original question? 7 day rule

( I am a novice to linux and a babbler! hehe Restraining myself ABOVE!)
Oh did I mention I am a bald lady-but no one can hear it HA! least of all me I can't hear anything grrrrrrrrrrr..hm backports it is faster but still no sound. TY TY I am an artist LOVE crunchbang LOVE LOVE  LOVE IT. Maybe I should post about my sound issue/?? Oh lord I been working on it for days so not now besides this backport is fast...hm and live OH MY!

HI everyone. Your the best!

#466 2012-02-19 01:11:25

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

^ you should ask for teaching from CBizgreat. he's made babbling into an artform, could teach you a thing or two big_smile

#467 2012-02-19 20:55:32

Dreamer

"Why do you use #!Crunchbang"

I just installed it but I have a feeling i won't be regretting it... It oozes with coolness smile

(and everything just works)

#468 2012-02-19 21:32:51

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Welcome to #! then @Dreamer!

#469 2012-02-19 21:55:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

"oozezz with coolnezz"...I plan to use this...often, and in public! big_smile

#470 2012-02-19 21:55:53

niksakl

It's fast, it's black, it's super stable... I was looking for a new distro and after an adventurous distro-safari on my netbook, I remembered #!. I don't think i m gonna move soon. As a matter of fact, all my pcs will be moving to #! at some point. I also love the community. After two days on #! and considering my needs, i think #! is linux at its best...

#471 2012-02-19 21:59:11

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Because I am 6!!  big_smile

And this

rizzeh wrote:

because every time i install plain Debian OS from minimal CD it ends up looking like crunchbang,  Saves me time! smile

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#472 2012-02-22 21:02:40

nta
Website

I've tried some dists before. When I was really young I tried Red Hat. After that, one of my friends was using Slackware, so I thought it would be a great idea to go for that aswell, if I were to encounter any problems. I tried to try Gentoo, but got stuck in the installation. But neither of them was very fun and since I was so young I found it hard to learn all the new things and to be honest, I had quite a problem with patience. So after a week or so I got back to Windows.

Years later, I tried Ubuntu. From the simple fact that it looked userfriendly, was/is promoted as a sort of gateway for Windows users blah blah. I tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu you name it. Same thing here. I got bored. I felt there wasn't any room for me to play around since everything came from the get go and I wasn't inspired to learn. 

So, a got a new job (not with computers as one might think) and one of the bosses was a big Linux fan. Since I've tried it before and I got some knowledge, we started talking and once again my urge for learning Linux was awaken. Now i knew what I wanted. I wanted to have a minimalistic desktop environment with no delays what so ever and I really wanted to get away from the flashy Windows/X-buntu look. And I recently bought a new SSD so I really wanted my system to be ultra fast. I don't know how I found #!, but it was the same day I tried Mint on my laptop.

Since I had so much important stuff on my Windows, I didn't wanna risk it all to be blown out by installing Linux (happened before) so I installed it on my VirtualBox. So whilst I was visiting my parents over X-max I sat down and tried it out and for the first time I was really excited about a dist. It just felt like it was done with all my needs in mind. So when I came back home I was really torn to whether I should take the, for me, HUGE step and take the risk of days to come, restore my Windows. So I decided for Windows, but just 2 days later when me and my GF was watching a movie, I just got up in the middle of the movie and sat down at my computer and just blew it. I don't know why really, but I guess I felt it was the right thing to do, and in my business area you work in projects, so I knew I hade 2 free weeks to tweek and try things out.

As soon as I started my computer I was hooked. I LOVED it. I have never in my life had so much fun with my computer. I'm the usual type of guy who runs Windows and play WoW/CS/Quake all day long, but for the first time in my life I was really enjoying to really work with my computer. It felt amazing. I got up with my GF when she went to school (at like 07:00 in the morning) and I just tried things, tweaked, read and did things for the whole day. I sat here from 07:00 in the morning til 03:00 at night and I was having so much fun and to see the progress you made, even with tiny things like adding some ASCII in my terminal & changing the colors of my Tint2 and "coding" my Conky. It felt so rewarding to see those things.

I've only used #! for about 1½ month and I've terrorized you guys with questions and the whole process has been so rewarding. I am hooked and I know I can never go back to Windows.

So THANK YOU, especially Corenominal, but to all of you guys, keeping #! alive and well and for being a great community and for your support. And of course for always helping me out when I have those "silly" questions that might seems so obvious and to never be ironic or looking down at me.

Thank you.

#473 2012-02-22 21:19:18

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

@nta: A really nice story. Nice to have you here with us and enjoying. smile

Happy CrunchBanging! And there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

#474 2012-02-22 22:46:36

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Well spoken, glad you have awoken :-)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#475 2012-02-23 02:14:25

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

I use Crunch Bang because I believe the OS should not be the application...

Board footer