SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-07 20:17:54

falldown
#! Samurai

//SOLVED\\ Creating bootable snow leopard..

I'm really sorry if this is not the Forum for this, but I'm wondering about making a bootable Snow Leopard flash from my #! lappy?? My MBP crashed and I do not have the install disk, but I did create a back-up ISO and put it on my #!.. yes I know that I should have just used my osx disk utility and made a bootable flash from it, but I had just got the MBP (used) a few days ago and it crashed. Just can't find a way to make it bootable from linux. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by falldown (2011-12-13 23:46:28)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-12-07 20:25:30

kowloonboy
#! Junkie

Re: //SOLVED\\ Creating bootable snow leopard..

Have you read this? http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-s … drive.html

Last edited by kowloonboy (2011-12-07 20:29:04)

"To me, the extraordinary aspect of martial arts lies in its simplicity. The easy way is also the right way, and martial arts is nothing at all special; the closer to the true way of martial arts, the less wastage of expression there is." - Bruce Lee

#3 2011-12-07 20:37:35

falldown
#! Samurai

Thanks for the snappy response. The problem is that I can't boot my Mac in order to use the disk utility for formatting the flash with Mac OS X extended. Linux has the equivalent.. It's hsf +, but for some reason it won't let me format the flash with it. Thats just the first problem.. then I have to install osx on the flash and I'm not sure what (if any) programs for linux can do this.. Thank you for the link!

#4 2011-12-07 22:52:37

falldown
#! Samurai

Going to try and run snow leopard in VirtualBox and then see if I can run disk utility from there.

#5 2011-12-08 00:14:59

dotism
#! Member
Website

#6 2011-12-08 18:36:47

falldown
#! Samurai

Thank you for the link Dotism.. The VirtualBox is a no-go. My chipset is vt-x capable, but VirtualBox says that it isn't enabled and I have no setting in BIOS to enable it. I have a love/hate relationship with my Sony Vaio.. and right now it's hate!   

Now lets try Wine and transmac or Ultra ISO. It's kind of strange that someone hasn't built an app for Linux that converts osx.iso's into a bootable os. I can write simple scripts, but building apps are well above my knowledge.

Last edited by falldown (2011-12-08 19:40:14)

#7 2011-12-13 22:54:57

falldown
#! Samurai

Sorry I forgot to update this. I finally created a bootable restore usb stick of Snow Leopard. It was a learning experience. 

I wasn't successful with Wine. I think it works great for games (aka PlayOnLinux), but wasn't much help running utility programs.

I used VirtualBox (God Bless Open Source!!)  In order to run OS X on my lappy I had to enable VT-X which for some reason Sony completely locks out. I was lucky enough to find this amazing Thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/18 … aptop.html. With VT-X enabled I was then able to install a "patched" version of snow leopard on VirtualBox. I searched a bunch of dead ends trying to get Virtualbox to recognize my usb. Finally came across this http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/virtualbox. Sadly enough I didn't check here first. Anyway, The actual process after all that was very simple. Formated usb stick with OS X disk utility.. Burned the Image onto the flash drive. I booted up my (used) MacBook Pro.. repaired the install. All is well. Thank you all for the links!!

Board footer