SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-06 20:59:05

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

#! 1 ubuntu 0

I'm taking a big step this evening and removing my ubuntu partition.  I've been using #! for a few days and have fallen head over heels in love with it!  BBCiPlayer now plays in full screen without the jitters that ubuntu had, an my whole system overall seems to run slicker and is certainly healthier, don't get me wrong, i love ubuntu, yet of late it seems to be getting a bit B-L-O-A-T-E-D !! 

The King is dead, long live the King!!  wink

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                    ||----w |         CrunchBang Linux, OpenBox that thinks outside of the box!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2008-12-06 21:47:37

omns
#! wanderer

Re: #! 1 ubuntu 0

I'm glad #!CrunchBang is working out so well for you machina smile I know lots of long term ubuntu users who are using openbox more and more as their main work environment. I just have to convince them now that CrunchBang is just what they need smile

#3 2008-12-06 21:52:28

corenominal
WRONG
Website

I am really pleased to read that you are enjoying the distro. You might be interested to know that I have made some progress on the new Lite edition today. If you think the current release is slick, just wait for the Lite edition!

P.S. I love Ubuntu too. smile

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#4 2008-12-06 22:01:25

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

Yes, i've tinkered with openbox before, yet #! is more polished, and the fact that i was novice at the time put me off (I'm no mega-geek yet but i've sure learned a lot from the linux community) BBCiplayer working for me was great, but the ease of use in this distro will be the core of it's success. and i truly believe that #! will be BIG!   cool

Last edited by machina (2008-12-06 22:02:07)

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\

#5 2008-12-06 22:03:58

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

corenominal wrote:

I am really pleased to read that you are enjoying the distro. You might be interested to know that I have made some progress on the new Lite edition today. If you think the current release is slick, just wait for the Lite edition!

P.S. I love Ubuntu too. smile

Do you think the lite edition would suit the small system that i'm setting up @ work? pIII 600mhz 128mb!

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\

#6 2008-12-06 22:49:01

mudder

@machina:  I have #! running on my 192mb ram antique IBM Thinkpad 600e.  Conky shows that used RAM usually stays below 100mb, unless I multitask.  Let us know if you have success on your 128mb antique.  The trickiest part may be getting the Crunchbang/Ubuntu installer to run on 128mb.

#7 2008-12-06 22:58:55

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

mudder wrote:

@machina:  I have #! running on my 192mb ram antique IBM Thinkpad 600e.  Conky shows that used RAM usually stays below 100mb, unless I multitask.  Let us know if you have success on your 128mb antique.  The trickiest part may be getting the Crunchbang/Ubuntu installer to run on 128mb.

Aye, the installer took a while v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, i'm back @ work tomorrow, if the pubs not busy i'll continue with it, was interested in the lite version though.  ps. my boss insists i install antivirus lol

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\

#8 2008-12-06 23:28:24

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

I've never been a Ubuntu/Kubuntu fan but I am becoming more impressed with #! CrunchBang.  Maybe I'll have to take another look at the newer version of Ubuntu.

============= You are the dreamer - and the dream =============

gooplusplus.com (goo++) --- compact web tools and 250+ internet radio stations

#9 2008-12-06 23:30:25

mudder

Aye.  Get your priorities straight and go to the pub!

#10 2008-12-06 23:34:39

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

mudder wrote:

Aye.  Get your priorities straight and go to the pub!

big_smile

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\

#11 2008-12-07 00:21:56

mudder

NewCityVegas wrote:

I've never been a Ubuntu/Kubuntu fan but I am becoming more impressed with #! CrunchBang.  Maybe I'll have to take another look at the newer version of Ubuntu.

Hey... The most annoying thing about Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu (and Crunchbang by unfortunate inheritence) is the lack of root login and the insipid use of sudo.  Just let me login as root, please.  But as long as Crunchbang is a Ubuntu derivative, and not a Debian derivative, I'll adjust.

Last edited by mudder (2008-12-07 00:24:33)

#12 2008-12-07 00:46:56

omns
#! wanderer

mudder wrote:

Just let me login as root, please.  .

Logging in as root is disabled for security reasons. Many people say, yes but I accept the risks of running my system this way but the dangers of doing so don't just belong to you. For example, take running a web browser when logged in as root. You start your browser and go to a page that has a redirect to download and install a small init.d script. Because you are running as root it is downloaded and allows itself to be made executable and the next time you run your machine it is in the control of someone else doing whatever the script is set up for. This is why windows has had so many viruses and problems.

My advice is to embrace sudo and enjoy the peace of mind it brings smile

#13 2008-12-07 00:55:35

mudder

good points, omns.

#14 2008-12-07 07:41:15

corenominal
WRONG
Website

omns wrote:

Logging in as root is disabled for security reasons. Many people say, yes but I accept the risks of running my system this way but the dangers of doing so don't just belong to you. For example, take running a web browser when logged in as root. You start your browser and go to a page that has a redirect to download and install a small init.d script. Because you are running as root it is downloaded and allows itself to be made executable and the next time you run your machine it is in the control of someone else doing whatever the script is set up for. This is why windows has had so many viruses and problems.

My advice is to embrace sudo and enjoy the peace of mind it brings smile

Sound advice.

#15 2008-12-07 21:13:07

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

Well, all seemed to go well at work today, the pub was quiet so i had a good hour to muck about with the dell. First off i was taken aback at the speed! Now this machine has seen a few winters and it's not getting any younger, yet #! seems to be a fountain of youth to the old girl, she has certainly got her purr back, and i'm not talking about her fan! roll   I'm having problems with the wifi dongle though (Inventel54g) intermitent connection using prism54 drivers. this dongle is an old pal , and we've seen a few installations together, perhaps the old girl is distracting him with her new found youth!  Seriously though, i think it may be the security in the router, i'm not mucking about with my boss's box (ooerr mrs!) so i'll take my TP-Link over on tuesday and see how i get on with that.

Stay tuned!!  wink

edit, #! Lite was released today ndiswrapper is installed by default,  i'm downloading it as i type this.  going to give  it a go on the dell!

Last edited by machina (2008-12-08 10:22:26)

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\

#16 2008-12-09 18:22:15

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

Well to top it all off, i walked into work today to find my boss had installed XP on the machine for"security reasons"  yikes

Oh well, at least i have #! at home  smile

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\

#17 2008-12-09 18:39:50

corenominal
WRONG
Website

machina wrote:

my boss had installed XP on the machine for"security reasons"  yikes

A contradiction if ever I heard one! lol

#18 2008-12-09 19:47:34

machina
Has Super Cow Powers

Aye he kept on about antivirus, there's no telling some people though, i even offered to install clamv! lol

.      \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\

Board footer