SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-14 13:10:40

Yikes
#! Member

Confessions of a cheater

I've been a #! user since 8.04. Recently, Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) caught my eye. I'll admit, the polished desktop interface had me thinking "OMG, shiny!". Actually, I think I just wanted to see how things had advanced in the Gnome world.

So, I tried out the LiveCD. I was relieved to know that LMDE had the same problems with my laptop hardware that Statler did. But, I went ahead and installed LMDE to the hard drive, but not before taking a full disk image with Clonezilla.

LMDE was installed on my laptop for less than a day. Yes, the icons are nice and the gnome panels are pretty. But, I simply can't stand having such a mouse and menu driven desktop experience. Perhaps I've been spoiled by #!. Yes, I could configure LMDE to use the same keyboard shortcuts and terminal applications that I'm used to. But, I've already got #! for that!

So, after this brief stint with LMDE, I restored my Statler image to my laptop and I'm home again. Statler, can you please forgive me for straying?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-02-14 13:25:49

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

Re: Confessions of a cheater

I find I have the same experience after using openbox with many shortcuts or awesome. Using the mouse seems slow and unnecessary in most cases.
I find I can make my laptop just as 'pretty' as LMDE or mint etc, just through a really nice wallpaper.

just call me...
~FSM~

#3 2011-02-14 15:09:58

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Once you go keyboard, you don't go back big_smile

#4 2011-02-14 16:09:43

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Don't make me think of switching back to Openbox guys.. sad

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#5 2011-02-14 16:39:10

benhee

Hi  Yikes,

You call that cheating...
I've reinstalled XP off an old recovery disc, literally dusted off, found at the bottom of a box in the loft space,
so I could feed into my old elonex box some very old VHS. After 3 months of trying with linux I gave up ( and nearly spent money, shudder, on domestic dvd recorder ), must take years of study and self denial to work out TV cards & tuners & tweek mencoder.

Now this XP malarkey,  while doing the job, sure is a culture shock! I've had to paint my spectacles black to feel at home.

Still got the tranquility of #! on lap top.

Mr Hee

#6 2011-02-14 17:41:02

Yikes
#! Member

@Unia, I can't knock you for your choice. Any Linux desktop environment is better than Windows or OSX. I absolutely love Openbox because of its simplicity and flexibility. XFCE, while good, just doesn't stack up IMHO.

To me, XFCE seems like a nice compromise between eye candy and flexibility, besides being pretty lean. While I may be tempted by the eye candy every now and then (looking at you, Gnome), I always seem to find my way back to OpenBox.

God bless FOSS!

#7 2011-02-15 00:52:33

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

I don't know, but a properly stripped down Xfce is very much like a WM set-up

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#8 2011-02-15 01:15:15

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I've been thinking about trying one of those new debian/bsd packages and just not installing a gui. I'm still getting comfortable with irssi and playing music via command line. Does anyone have any recommendations  for packages that allow split screening and tabs and the like without starting X? I tried tmux and it was a bit hard to work with.

Last edited by mynis01 (2011-02-15 02:42:11)

#9 2011-02-15 07:41:45

allthosewhispers

I like the stability of the UI and the entire environment. With GNOME going to 3.0 and the Shell, and gods-only-know what madness the KDE lads will put in any given number, knowing I have long-term consistency and stability with my system is pretty important to me. Which makes Openbox and XFCE winning bets.

#10 2011-02-15 14:35:56

anonymous
The Mystery Member

^ Good thing you're not using Xfce on Arch Linux. Who knows how many threads have been made because of the new 4.8.

#11 2011-02-15 14:40:34

olembe
#! Junkie

@benhee - I've had lots of success with TV tuners under Linux. Drop me a message if you want some advice, as I kept notes of how I did it all. The main thing is getting a tuner that works well with Linux. I used AverMedia tuners and found them to work well (AverMedia provide Linux drivers).

#12 2011-02-15 15:16:58

allthosewhispers

@anonymous - thanks for the head's up! My desktop runs Arch, but uses openbox because it's mostly for storage. Definately glad I didn't go with XFCE there!

#13 2011-02-15 18:38:20

omns
#! wanderer

allthosewhispers wrote:

Definately glad I didn't go with XFCE there!

Fortune favours the brave smile

Board footer