SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2010-07-09 02:51:54

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: The Official #! Over-the-Hill-CrunchGang Thread

OHCG Wallpaper Alpha2

tNHZteA

Gimme some ideas guys!
Don't know about you guys but for me little old ladies in knickers are out!
Unless you want to go with horror themes here.  lol

And screen sizes, I'm 1280x1024

OHCG Though for the day: You wonder how you could be over the hill when you don't even remember being on top of it.

Sector11 wrote:

I've come to realize that while my shell is ageing, my mind is a very wise 20 year old and my soul hasn't changed a day since I was born.

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-07-09 03:06:31)

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2010-07-09 05:06:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Just give me a seat in the corner somewhere...
...and a beer.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#53 2010-07-09 05:25:26

mick
#! CrunchBanger

No fair!!! Age of 'enlightenment' should be 50 - not 60 - under the terms of which I would qualify. Damn; I'm stuck mid-generation - AGAIN!!!

Linux - because a PC is a terrible thing to waste...

#54 2010-07-09 13:56:14

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

johnraff wrote:

...and a beer.

I take it you had a birthday.  smile

Welcome to the Over the Hill CrunchGang, the bar is is the back and chairs are on a grab one that's empty basis.  It's not like people are in a rush to get here so there are usually a lot empty.  smile

anonymous came one day and we had to ask for his ID at the bar, something I never though would happen here.  Don't see him around today though.

Feel free to grab an official signature tagline if you want.  Although from what I see of yours I doubt you'll do that.  And that's OK too.  big_smile

This club is like "Linux" - freedom reigns - not like DRM laced OS's.  Feel free to contribute.

I'll add your avatar to the Alpha1 wallpaper  as well.

tNHZydg

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-07-09 19:42:23)

#55 2010-07-09 14:28:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

mick wrote:

No fair!!! Age of 'enlightenment' should be 50 - not 60 - under the terms of which I would qualify. Damn; I'm stuck mid-generation - AGAIN!!!

I would have though that being a Canuck you would have figured out how to fake an ID to get into a bar or club.  Or had the brass tacks to just walk in and ask for one.  Of course it's too late now!  cool

However, you're right, 50 is the "Age of Enlightenment", it means you're On Top of the Hill, not on the downward side.  smile

I remember being 10 and wanting to be a teenager, then being a teenager and wanting to be 21 so I could drink.  Turning 30 and thinking teenagers lied, this isn't old!  40 felt good but some of my "piss and vinegar" had started drying up, my hair line had started getting really high, and streaks of "white" hair.  50 was a milestone, WoW! Half a century and things still work, I wasn't turning bald, some of my hair simply went south for the winter and stopped at my chin.... at 60 I decided to count by decades because 6 sounded so much younger than 60 and 6.1 is cool!

You're not stuck, believe me soon enough you'll wake up and say, "HEY! I'm there, I'm over the hill!"

If we lower it to 50 someone will come and say:

someone wrote:

No fair!!! Age of 'enlightenment' should be 40 - not 50 - under the terms of which I would qualify. Damn; I'm stuck mid-generation - AGAIN!!!

and then ...

someone_else wrote:

No fair!!! Age of 'enlightenment' should be 30 - not 40 - under the terms of which I would qualify. Damn; I'm stuck mid-generation - AGAIN!!!

At which point corenominal would lock the doors because he doesn't want to be over the hill   big_smile

BUT - you are always welcome as a guest.  Bar's at the back, get your ID ready just in case ... you look kinda young.
{just though I'd make ya feel good}  lol

==============

Maybe we should have an Official Guest and Potential Member of the Over the Hill CrunchGang that could start at 50.  Hmmmm: OGPMOHCG

I'll have to ask the other menbers.  big_smile

Hey guys what do you think?  Should we have a OGPMOHCG status?

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-07-09 14:31:04)

#56 2010-07-09 15:43:02

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sector11 wrote:
johnraff wrote:

...and a beer.

I take it you had a birthday.

Yes, a couple of months ago.

Welcome to the Over the Hill CruncgGang

Thank you cool

btw, totally off topic (what was the topic?) but I had this idea that a lot of older geeks were ex-hippies... just a sort-of feeling, you know...
Do you think there's any truth in that? (Suppose I might class myself as a failed hippie...)

John
--------------------

#57 2010-07-09 16:22:12

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

johnraff wrote:

btw, totally off topic (what was the topic?) but I had this idea that a lot of older geeks were ex-hippies... just a sort-of feeling, you know...
Do you think there's any truth in that? (Suppose I might class myself as a failed hippie...)

No, no topic as such, we just let our minds wonder so anything goes.  Which of course happens more frequently these days.  smile

Hmmmmmm I was a short haired hippie because of the military haircut 40 years ago, and after hours and holidays I really looked funny with that haircut, bell bottoms and paisley shirts you name it.  For me there is no such thing as a failed hippie, it's in the heart man, it's in the heart.

Are the older geeks ex-hippies?  Define an "ex-"hippie!  Once a hippie always a hippie, once a geek always a geek.  Lets face it both are a part of your heart and soul. Just my opinion.

Besides, my two little friends that quite often watch me type and tell me I can be anything I want to be because I've reached the age that people don't believe anymore anyway.

Well of course they don't believe, I grab the camera and they pretend they are rubber!  Scheech, the little ingrates!  Nobody believes in little rubber people, noooooooooooooo, camera off and they jump around and hide stuff making me think I lost it and I'm loosing my mind.  They jump on the keyboard making it look like I can't type ... they're bad I tell you bad bad bad, but in a good way.

tNHZzbA

There see, now that felt good! lol

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-07-09 16:22:51)

#58 2010-07-09 16:37:41

winotree
#! Die Hard

Hello, johnraff.  May I attempt to answer your question?  But first, there is [apparently] no topic here and second, I really like your avatar and have, since joining the forum meant to mention that.  big_smile

The was a saying at the time and perhaps you've heard it: long hair doth not a hippie make.  I suppose it meant that just because you looked like a hippie and talked like a hippie it didn't mean you were a hippie.  I don't know -- but in that community a fake was easily spotted and some of the meanest people I ever met had the longest hair whereas some of the kindest, most gentle people I knew had shorter hair. 

NOTE - you need to remember that, by and large, at that time long hair meant that it touched the tops of your ears!  yikes

Enough about hair.  Attitude and vision were more the prevalent, more fundamental factors involved in the hippie movement: the idea of a better tomorrow, that the world could be -- would be -- a better place, and this was after having to read George Orwell's 1984 for classes, and having to comment on it and be able to discuss it's finer points all for a grade.  [oh, rly?]  So maybe, to finally get around to answering your question

....but I had this idea that a lot of older geeks were ex-hippies....

Yes, in all likelihood many of us were, or still are because we've seen that if outright attempts to change people's attitudes based on peace, love and understanding failed then perhaps using technology to accomplish those same ends may help us fulfill the dreams we still carry with us. 

But what did you mean by

....(Suppose I might class myself as a failed hippie...)

#59 2010-07-09 17:15:15

winotree
#! Die Hard

mick wrote:

One thing I know: this game isn't about winning or losing.  It about how well you play it.

Answer honestly: have you been playing fairly?  If so, maybe 11 will make you an honorary almost-member.  hmm

#60 2010-07-09 17:27:15

winotree
#! Die Hard

....I was a short haired hippie because of the military haircut 40 years ago....

US Army Corps of Engineers

tNHZ0Mg

FWIW, um, FTW  tongue

#61 2010-07-09 17:34:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

winotree wrote:

Hello, johnraffI really like your avatar and have, since joining the forum meant to mention that.  big_smile

well, thanks! To tell the truth, I sort of find it a bit... arrogant-looking? Really I wanted a crow looking for something shiny to fly off with, like that Joni Mitchell song. Anyway that's the best pic I could find.

Attitude and vision were more the prevalent, more fundamental factors involved in the hippie movement: the idea of a better tomorrow, that the world could be -- would be -- a better place

Absolutely! And 1984 has been a bit late, but it's coming, if we don't watch out!

to finally get around to answering your question

....but I had this idea that a lot of older geeks were ex-hippies....

Yes, in all likelihood many of us were, or still are because we've seen that if outright attempts to change people's attitudes based on peace, love and understanding failed then perhaps using technology to accomplish those same ends may help us fulfill the dreams we still carry with us. 

But what did you mean by

....(Suppose I might class myself as a failed hippie...)

Hmm, hard to explain, but several times, back in the days, on a sort of spiritual plane, when it seemed I was offered the chance to enter a door, but was unable to abandon everything, which was the condition... so eventually I just remained here in the regular old world, with dreams and a beer... Does that make any sense at all?

John
--------------------

#62 2010-07-09 18:12:33

winotree
#! Die Hard

....but several times, back in the days, on a sort of spiritual plane, when it seemed I was offered the chance to enter a door, but was unable to abandon everything, which was the condition... so eventually I just remained here in the regular old world....

First, allow me to quote a partial thought of yours but only because I wish to speak directly to it.  Yes.  I know exactly what you mean. 

There were many times, during a meditative or dream-like state in which my physical body was indeed dead to the world that my mental or spiritual body was able to travel freely.  I'd fly along a canyon wall gazing down into the crystal-clear stream running at its base and marvel at the colored trout, some seemingly nine or ten feet long.  Eventually I'd land and walk through a field of waist-high wildflowers whose multitude of colors begged the imagination, then along a small path to the edge of a blackened ravine that oozed nothingness. 

No light.  No sound.  No nothing escaped its utterness of nothingness.  And my task was to cross it.

I had practiced one form or another of mental or spiritual discipline for many years but that's not the story.  And to this day I wonder whether it prepared me for what I'd eventually find.  I'd always wind up here.  At this place.  And I couldn't -- I just couldn't step across that emptiness.  Sometimes I felt a gentle prompting.  Sometimes a small voice quietly urging me on but never an overwhelming compulsion, a compulsion such as whelmed from out that darkness. 

Then one bright and sunny day as my body lay quietly somewhere in the backwoods of North Carolina I took that fateful step out, over the edge of sheer and utter tormenting terror that my mind couldn't acknowledge.  And do you know what I found?  The other side, of course, but in a field of flowers such as I could never have imagined, in colors that broke my eyes to look upon them and a sound of silence so pervasive that my ears begged to be covered for fear of the magnificence of it all. 

Then one bright and sunny day as my body lay quietly somewhere in the backwoods of North Carolina I awoke to this reality and, ever since I've tried to carry that thought, that image, that vision with me.  And no -- I've never been able to go back a second time...

Last edited by winotree (2010-07-09 18:17:31)

#63 2010-07-09 19:01:18

winotree
#! Die Hard

Post your favorite character actors from the movies sub-thread because it's rainy and you're bored.

tNHZ1MQ

Dub Taylor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_Taylor

tNHZ1Mg

Strother Martin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strother_Martin

tNHZ1NA

Jack Elam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Elam

tNHZ1Nw

Jack Palance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Palance

That ought to be a good enough start to a completely off-topic off-topic don't you think?  So, who did you like in the movies that was seemingly always in the background and may not have gotten the attention they deserved as an actor?

TOMORROW - female actors so stay tuned!

#64 2010-07-09 19:40:56

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:

....I was a short haired hippie because of the military haircut 40 years ago....

US Army Corps of Engineers

tNHZ0Mg

FWIW, um, FTW  tongue

From tNHZ1dA to tNHZ1OA on 1 Feb 1968.
I went from a blue RCAF uniform to a green, CF (Carlton the Doorman, CN Porter) uniform and back to a blue "Air Branch" uniform because they finally realized that Paul Hellier made a mistake.

When the Liberals returned to power in the 1963 election, Hellyer became Minister of National Defence in the cabinet of Lester B. Pearson. This was the most notable period in Hellyer's career. As Minister of Defence, he oversaw the controversial integration and unification of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, and the Royal Canadian Air Force into a single organization, the Canadian Forces.

Hated that Carlton the Doorman uniform.  The number of little old ladies that asked me to grab her bags at hotel entrances, train stations (CN) or airports was unbelievable.

#65 2010-07-09 20:08:11

winotree
#! Die Hard

....Hated that Carlton the Doorman uniform.  The number of little old ladies that asked me to grab her bags at hotel entrances, train stations (CN) or airports was unbelievable.

A bit off-topic  but that reminds me of the time I was filling my tank with fuel during one of my many road-trips.  I was wearing a basic navy-blue insulated Eisenhower Jacket

tNHZ2OQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower_jacket

that was perfect for keeping the chill off on long trips without having to keep the temperature too high in the car, you know, so it was comfy without being uncomfortable.  So there I was minding my own business, maybe cleaning the windshield when a woman said to me

Well?!?

I looked at her awkwardly wondering why I was being talked to in that tone.

Well, what? I asked in return.

Well, aren't you going to fill my tank, too?!?

It was more of a demand than a question but I smiled slowly and drawled

Now why would I want to do that?

Because you work here?!?

I looked around then down at my choice of clothing.  Of course, the jacket.  I mumbled, as politely as I could nearly being on the edge of hysterical laughter

No, ma'am.  I don't work here.

Then why are you wearing that jacket?!?

I couldn't stand it any longer but tried my best to be diplomatic and answered

To keep warm?

Bada boom bada bing  tongue

EDIT - changed link

Last edited by winotree (2010-07-09 23:23:38)

#66 2010-07-09 20:33:32

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:

Post your favorite character actors from the movies sub-thread because it's rainy and you're bored.

So, who did you like in the movies that was seemingly always in the background and may not have gotten the attention they deserved as an actor?

So what do you want, favourites or background actors that deserved more respect?

winotree wrote:

Dub Taylor
Strother Martin
Jack Elam
Jack Palance
That ought to be a good enough start to a completely off-topic off-topic don't you think?

I remember them all and think you have made a good choice.
But you missed a few:

tNHZ2Nw
Ken Curtis - "Festus" on Gunsmoke.

Nellybelle
Pat Brady (Robert Ellsworth Patrick Aloysious O'Brady) - who drove Nellybelle in the Roy Rogers show of all things.  smile

tNHZ2YQ

Note: the real Nellybelle was displayed at the Roy Rogers - Dale Evans Museum which moved from California to Missouri in 2003, and closed in late 2009. It is among items from the museum to be auctioned in New York on 14-15 July 2010.

tNHZ2Zg
George "Gabby" Hayes

tNHZ2Yw
Clayton Moore

tNHZ2ZA
Jay Silverheels was Tonto.

... and on and on and on ... The Cisco Kid, Bat Masterson, The Rifleman, Have Gun Will Travel --- I still sing the theme song for that every now and then and still use that title a lot like:

Have pizza will eat! 
Richard Boone

Have Gun Will Travel reads the card of a man.
A knight without armor in a savage land.
His fast gun for hire head's the calling wind.
A soldier of fotune is the man called Paladin.

Paladin, Paladin Where do you roam?
Paladin, Paladin, Far, far from home.

He travels on to wherever he must;
A chess knight of silver is his badge of trust.
There are campfire legends that the plainsmen spin
Of the man with the gun,
of the man called Pa-l-l-l-l-a-din

OK, so I got carried away, I'm allowed ... I think.  smile

And then there are the horror movies, damsels in distress and all, I love-em big_smile

winotree wrote:

TOMORROW - female actors so stay tuned!

hmmmm hmmm hmm hm { waiting }

#67 2010-07-09 20:36:28

winotree
#! Die Hard

I beg your pardon, sir, but I didn't miss them.  I left them for you to post.  hmm  lol

#68 2010-07-09 20:38:23

winotree
#! Die Hard

So what do you want, favourites or background actors that deserved more respect?

Both.  Either.  Or.

#69 2010-07-09 20:42:30

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:

Bada boom bada bing  tongue

I scared the hell outta my wife when I burst out laughing.  big_smile

That's good.  I remember taking one little old ladies bags to the counter because she really was "little" and "old" and when she offered me a tip, I said, "No thank you ma'am, I don't work here, this is the Canadian Forces uniform."

"But you look just like a porter!"
"mumble mumble, yes ma'am" - I wanted to wipe the grin off the face of the guy behind the counter with my boot!

#70 2010-07-09 20:46:40

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

mick wrote:

OK done, since one other member approved.

You are hereby afforded the title: Official Guest and Potential Member of the Over the Hill CrunchGang!

And you may use: OGPMOHCG in your signature (if you choose) to identify yourself as such. cool

#71 2010-07-09 20:50:56

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:

Both.  Either.  Or.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, how to confuse an old person - So what do you want A or B?
Both - Either - Or

Sounds like an exchange between my wife and I reference dinner.  "So what do you want to eat tonight."

"Anything"
"Well we have A B and C"
"OK - A"
"What's wrong with B?"
"Nothing I want A"
"You sure you don't want C?"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Gotta run - back later - in-laws!

#72 2010-07-09 20:54:53

winotree
#! Die Hard

I just know that somewhere in the world someone is sitting there thinking how in the world could anyone mistake a porter for the military??

tNHZ3Yg

Porter

tNHZ3YQ

Military

#73 2010-07-09 23:31:16

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:

I just know that somewhere in the world someone is sitting there thinking how in the world could anyone mistake a porter for the military??

I see what you mean ...

Too many tNHZ3Yg's and you just may end up in the tNHZ3YQ

B I G difference. tongue

#74 2010-07-09 23:38:19

winotree
#! Die Hard

Ohhh!  You got the pictures side by side.  How? 

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#75 2010-07-10 00:20:10

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:

Ohhh!  You got the pictures side by side.  How? 

Click on "quote" and see, just like typing a sentence!   smile

Too many |picture code| and you just may end up in the | picture code |

Scheeech, I try to say some thing cute and he's into the "how'd you do that" not what was said.

It must be an age thing!!!  hehehehehe

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-07-10 00:22:49)

Board footer