SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#326 2014-03-17 14:27:49

g33zr
#! Die Hard

Re: The Official #! Over-the-Hill-CrunchGang Thread

Hmmm...perhaps it was something in the air? I managed to wipe my iMac drive last week after I borked SolydX by getting carried away with xfce4 packages. First I had to reinstall Mac OSX and update it, and restore my and my wife's files from the back-up drive, then repartition the HDD so I could dual-boot with Linux. The good news is I opted to install rEFInd instead of rEFIt and was pleasantly surprised with the results. The dual-booted desktop is now running hunky dory.  smile

Getting back to the aging thing, in my heart of hearts there are moments when I think I'm still 20- or 30-something. But when I look in the mirror, I'm faced with the fact that I now resemble my maternal grandfather more than the guy who used to be me more than 30 years ago.  yikes

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#327 2014-03-17 17:32:32

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ Geezer

wipe your iMac 8) yikes Bummer! sad

rEFInd ?  rEFIt ?  Speak English young man speak English"

dual-booted desktop is now running hunky dory. - now that's more like it!

I don't have a memory of my paternal grandfather, he passed away when I was still young enough to be held in his arms.  I don't resemble my maternal grandfather at all but the thought of him always bring a huge smile and a warm heart. I remember going for walks with him, we'd stop at a few selected shops, and he'd get invited for a drink, a shot glass, snap it back and on we'd go. "Now don't you go telling your grandmother about this!", he's say.  I never did!  On the 'returned' trip we'd both be chewing on mints.  What a guy!

My dad passed away 13 years younger than I am now, 32 years ago, so I don't know .. I look in the mirror and see this old chrome-dome white fringed wrinkled face looking back and wonder - but it was just yesterday I had a full head of jet black hair, no wrinkles or brown spots. And wasn't it just five years ago when ... no wait not five ... OH MY! 35 years ago it was ...

I remember being well into my 50's and feeling like I was still a lot younger ... like a long train going across the prairies at 110 mph ... then comes the 60's and it's like the foothills of the mountains ... the hills slow ya down as they get steeper and longer, straining muscles a bit, breathing a bit harder ... with the looming black snow covered rocks of the mountains getting ever so close.

So I look in the mirror and say: Hi Geezer, when did you climb into my medicine chest? Cuz, I ain't that old!
- Or wait one ... are you in the bathroom and I'm in the medicine chest?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KQUOJBIgLs[/video]
OK, no mirror - but you still have your sense oh haha don't you?

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#328 2014-03-18 01:23:58

zbreaker
#! CrunchBanger

As the famous (I refer to it as "pain in the ass") statement goes "tide and time wait for no man". I"m "honorary/59" here but relate well.
Seems like yesterday I was a sleek lean & mean specimen. Mentaly I do envision myself as about 30-ish which is a good thing. I try not to take life too seriously, which I feel is key to my general well being at present.

H-ohcg

#329 2014-03-18 01:34:21

g33zr
#! Die Hard

@ Sector 11: Since my days as an expat abroad, my English has never been the same. There are times when I forget the English word for something but remember the German word! yikes

FWIW, in case you really don't know, rEFI and rEFInd are programs that enable Mac users to dual-boot other OSes easier.

I've been fortunate, I remember both sets of grandparents and even one set of great-grandparents.

Meanwhile, your medicine chest? Not this Geezer! ]:D

OHCG | LXer

#330 2014-03-18 12:07:20

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ Geezer

I had to look rEFI and rEFInd up ... not being a MAC person.  big_smile

Yes, I'm getting that here now ... what's the word I'm looking for ... In Spanish its XX but English ???? ...  walk off to do something else and 'pop' ... that's it.

So ... that old coot lookin' back at me is me. Come to think about it he's been there a long time.
I was just kidding anyway.  big_smile

Great grandparents were never seen on either side - maternal I have no idea where they were ... paternal never left Glasgow, I remember my grandmother going to Scotland once to visit.

#331 2014-03-18 12:16:28

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

zbreaker wrote:

As the famous (I refer to it as "pain in the ass") statement goes "tide and time wait for no man". I"m "honorary/59" here but relate well.
Seems like yesterday I was a sleek lean & mean specimen. Mentaly I do envision myself as about 30-ish which is a good thing. I try not to take life too seriously, which I feel is key to my general well being at present.

Ahhhhhhhh new blood.

Never has the phrase "Act your age!" been so meaningless.  My mind is as old as my body, my body says it's older than my mind.   lol

They have come to a mutual agreement to do what they can together.

It's far to evident that I am closer to the end than I am to the beginning.  Time to be 'too serious' has past ... time to enjoy whats left is present!

#332 2014-03-18 12:34:39

ratcheer
#! Junkie

Pain hurts. Hurting makes me feel old. But, mentally, I still feel young. Hearing Janis Joplin or Creedence Clearwater (or ...) make me remember the exhilaration of times long past. Ahhhh...

Tim

#333 2014-03-18 13:03:26

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

ratcheer wrote:

Pain hurts. Hurting makes me feel old. But, mentally, I still feel young. Hearing Janis Joplin or Creedence Clearwater (or ...) make me remember the exhilaration of times long past. Ahhhh...

Tim

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qev-i9-VKlY[/video]
Yea she was different ... love the little giggle at the end of this ...

CCR - ABBA - The Carpenters ... I close my eyes and listen to them and I'm as young again as I was.

Life has some cruel quirks to it.  When we were young and didn't know what we know now we had all the piss and vinegar in the world to do things.  And now that we know things we've used up all that piss and vinegar.

I have to admit though that Calvin has taught me one of the greatest lessons in life:
2014_03_18_09_59_15_1920x1080_Sector11.jpg

Think about pain at this age: it's a constant.  sad  but it tells me I'm alive.  wink

#334 2014-03-18 14:56:25

g33zr
#! Die Hard

^ Piss and vinegar? Well, this falls into the TMI category, but I suspect that some of us OHG with BPH have plenty of piss, but I'm not sure about the vinegar...unless crankiness counts.  ]:D  ]:D  ]:D

OHCG | LXer

#335 2014-03-18 14:58:14

g33zr
#! Die Hard

p.s. Janis was and remains one of my favorite female vocalists from that era.  smile

Last edited by g33zr (2014-03-18 15:00:40)

OHCG | LXer

#336 2014-03-18 15:24:33

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Geezer wrote:

^ Piss and vinegar? Well, this falls into the TMI category, but I suspect that some of us OHG with BPH have plenty of piss, but I'm not sure about the vinegar...unless crankiness counts.  ]:D  ]:D  ]:D

lol  lol  lol  Thank you for the good laugh.

I've always liked her 'raspy' voice ... it was a LOVE IT or HATE IT voice ... I loved it ... she was 'different'.

YEA!! Janice - thank you!!!!!!!!

Pee I have but I chalk that up to chia seeds ... the miracle seed.  big_smile
Vinegar today only comes in a bottle.

There's truth in the words, "My get up and go, has got up and went!" lol  lol

Last edited by Sector11 (2014-03-18 15:25:11)

#337 2014-03-18 21:53:24

Richard

Cool.
Thanks for the music.
Keeps the mind young.
That's what I enjoy about this thread.

MX-14 & Manjaro Xfce4; 
#! Waldorf Xfce4.8

#338 2014-04-16 19:11:50

g33zr
#! Die Hard

Hey gang, it's been mighty quiet in this neck of the Linux woods. I trust and hope you are all still upright and breathing?  ]:D  wink

OHCG | LXer

#339 2014-04-16 20:23:58

ratcheer
#! Junkie

Yeah, I'm still trying to hang in there.  neutral

Tim

#340 2014-04-16 20:38:57

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Yup, {feeling arms, chest ...} I'm still here.

Earlier is becoming a thing in my life I've noticed of late ...

Like, going to bed earlier and getting up earlier.  Wonder why that is?

I think there are members here at #! that don't want to admit they're electable to join the OHCG

I'm pullin' up to the 6.5 mark - remember I'm counting by decades now ... sounds younger.  big_smile

Last edited by Sector11 (2014-04-16 20:42:25)

#341 2014-04-16 22:07:46

damo
#! gimpbanger

Yup, still here smile
Blood tests all clear today - cholesterol a bit high, but nothing too serious.

Had a little snooze in the sun today - couldn't keep my eyes open this afternoon. I guess that's a sign of something.....

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#342 2014-04-17 01:35:17

g33zr
#! Die Hard

It's encouraging to see that some of you are still around. big_smile

But when you consider the name of this chat, perhaps "over the hill" sounds too defeatist? I'd like to think that I'm more or less on top of the hill...and not necessarily on my way down hill, which implies the inevitable trip to the grave.  yikes

Perhaps we should think of ourselves as not quite over the hill...yet? 8o

Going to bed and getting up early is not a bad thing. It's what many birds do. It's natural! On a related note, one pleasure of aging--especially if you're retired--is the luxury of taking a daily afternoon nap. There's nothing like napping in a hammock under a tree on a hot summer day or on a sailboat at anchor in a gentle breeze.

So, what's the best part of being near or over 60 in your opinion?

OHCG | LXer

#343 2014-04-17 12:31:05

ratcheer
#! Junkie

The researchers say that it's good for you to go to bed soon after it gets dark and get up at sunrise. But other research says that adolescents have a hormonal urge to be night owls.

Tim

#344 2014-04-17 16:30:18

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Geezer wrote:

It's encouraging to see that some of you are still around. big_smile

But when you consider the name of this chat, perhaps "over the hill" sounds too defeatist? I'd like to think that I'm more or less on top of the hill...and not necessarily on my way down hill, which implies the inevitable trip to the grave.  yikes

Perhaps we should think of ourselves as not quite over the hill...yet? 8o

Going to bed and getting up early is not a bad thing. It's what many birds do. It's natural! On a related note, one pleasure of aging--especially if you're retired--is the luxury of taking a daily afternoon nap. There's nothing like napping in a hammock under a tree on a hot summer day or on a sailboat at anchor in a gentle breeze.

So, what's the best part of being near or over 60 in your opinion?

Well, I 'plan' on being around for a while yet.  You know, "the best laid plans of mice and men" kinda thing.  But please note, I'm not a bird. lol lol lol

Actually I remember a book ... The Destroyer, where Remo asked his Master, Chiun, the Master of Sinanju, how old he was ... it went some thing like this:

R: How old are you?
C: 85
R: That's really old.

Chiun wrote:

To a cabbage, 85 years is old,
To a mountain, 85 years is not even birth pains
But to a man, 85 years is just right!

At other times I think the whole "over the hill" thing is just so wrong.  Life isn't like a hill at all, it's more like a valley ....

When your young and full of piss and vinegar it's like riding a soapbox, the first skateboards, down that western slope, not a care in the world, no breaks, wind watering up your eyes ... a grin the size of a Cheshire cat on your face.  Yiiiiiiiiiiiiihaaaaaaaaw!

And then you hit the bottom ... coasting all the way to the other side and then mentally willing the skateboard those last few inches as it's coasting to a stop on the up slope of the eastern side.  Jumping off we grab it and start running up the slope with wild abandon.  After a while, we're walking up, dragging the skateboard ... and then it happens.

We sit in the shade of a tree, skateboard at out feet.  Looking out over the valley thinking what a ride it's been, quickly adding, even though I'm not finished yet.  Rested, we continue our trip up the eastern slope, not entirely sure what's over the apex above us ... but it's the only way to go.  Taking careful steps so as not to trip.

Best part of being over 60? Hmmmmmm I'll have to think about that.
Women getting up to offer me their on the bus is not one of them, saying, "No thank you, I'm OK." is . . . I guess.  smile

#345 2014-04-17 16:36:39

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

ratcheer wrote:

The researchers say that it's good for you to go to bed soon after it gets dark and get up at sunrise. But other research says that adolescents have a hormonal urge to be night owls.

Tim

Aaaaa HAA!  That's my problem then ... my 'hormonal urge' is stuck on night owl. wink

I remember asking as a kid, "How come when I'm going to school I can stay up until after dark but when I don't have to go to school I have to go to bed before it's dark?" lol lol lol lol

#346 2014-04-17 17:06:12

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

damo wrote:

Yup, still here smile
Blood tests all clear today - cholesterol a bit high, but nothing too serious.

Had a little snooze in the sun today - couldn't keep my eyes open this afternoon. I guess that's a sign of something.....

Yup, it's a sign of ... you can't keep your eyes open.  ]:D  ]:D  8)

Sun - the summer kind - has always done it to me ... yawn.

cholesterol high ... check out chia seeds ... the seeds not the powder.  Been doing a teaspoon full every couple of days for a while now.  No problem with cholesterol.  Also good sprinkling some on salads.

#347 2014-04-17 18:10:45

damo
#! gimpbanger

From that link it looks like there are very similar effects to eating sawdust  tongue

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#348 2014-04-17 18:18:45

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

damo wrote:

From that link it looks like there are very similar effects to eating sawdust  tongue

sawdust would be the powder.  The seeds are larger than sesame seeds ... about ½ the size of a sunflower seed.

I use to put a teaspoon full of seeds in my mouth a swallow .. then a couple of mouthfuls of water ... damn things get stuck in between teeth real easy that way.  Now, spoonful, mouthful of water and wait 10-15 seconds... the seed start getting soft, toss my head back and swallow, like taking a pill.  No problem

Our doctor put us onto these little seeds.

#349 2014-04-18 13:01:13

g33zr
#! Die Hard

@ Sector 11: Every time I think of chia seeds, I think of those weird chia pet seed kits that sell before Christmas.

chiapet

On that note, does eating the seeds result in some weird plant growth sprouting from the top of your head?  yikes  ]:D  yikes  ]:D

OHCG | LXer

Be excellent to each other!

#350 2014-04-18 13:42:35

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Geezer wrote:

@ Sector 11: Every time I think of chia seeds, I think of those weird chia pet seed kits that sell before Christmas.

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/img/c/0/0/172/3 … 2652344000

On that note, does eating the seeds result in some weird plant growth sprouting from the top of your head?  yikes  ]:D  yikes  ]:D

Chia Pets?, I had to look them up.  Guess I've been hiding under the Chia Pet Rock.   lol

The only Chia Pet that would grow on my head would be the Chia Pet Turtle Wax ... 'cuz it keeps it shiny.  I look like all the smilies up there except  O:)  but you have to add a ring of chia hair just above the ears and goes around the back

Hmmmmmmm Growing Chia plants  I'll have to read up on that ... maybe in my MIL's patio.  big_smile

Board footer