SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2010-06-30 00:27:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2010-06-30 15:51:34

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger

I demand that the maligning of the Empire and the Dark Side cease immediately.

#53 2010-06-30 15:54:44

winotree
#! Die Hard

#54 2010-06-30 16:59:01

benj1
Wiki Wizard

#55 2010-06-30 19:16:23

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger

Lies, lies! Libel! Slander propagated by the Bothan spies!

#56 2010-06-30 20:40:35

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

by the Borg spies?

#57 2010-06-30 21:34:07

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger

#58 2010-06-30 22:32:22

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-06-30 22:33:11)

#59 2010-06-30 23:35:11

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger

I have no idea what is going on in this thread at this point; all I know is that Emperor Palpatine, in a stroke of inspired genius, allowed the location of the Second Death Stars' construction site to fall into the hands of Bothan spies, thereby allowing him to meet the Rebel scum with approximately fifty f*@*ing billion Imperial Class-II Star Destroyers, and so on.

-Indeed, had it not been for Rogue Squadron, General Calrissian and that cursed General Solo with his infernal Ewok collaborators the Rebels would have been crushed.

Crushed I tell you!

And now, in observance of all the fallen Stormtroopers, I would like to thank the saboteur team sent to Drev'starn on Bothawui to disable the primary shield generator in advance of a massed Imperial attack. We all know how it turned out, but they really gave it a good try and we should be mindful of their sacrifice.

#60 2010-07-09 07:58:47

bathilda

not any more. there are a lot of things it cannot find, and not because there are no such things on the net or because i don't know know how to search... it's just..... a machine.....:|

#61 2010-07-10 12:18:09

pablokal
#! CrunchBanger
Website

@ the forum moderators and @ all acitve forum members: In retrospect I think it is not so funny how this thread/subject was killed.
This happens more often at this forum.
It disturbs me because I would grant every gang its fun to play around, but like that there would be some room for serious discussion.
When a thread is hijacked by some nonsense interactions everybody with serious interest gives up the thread and it dies quite soon.
In the end it is quite disrespectful to the one who starts the thread and the people who like to be serious about it.

#62 2010-07-10 17:49:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

pablokal I understand how you feel. However, maybe the issue of web privacy and abuse of information is so big and complicated that there's no way to discuss it seriously. Google might well be a wonderful company but the world coming up in the near future is potentially so different from what we're used to that ...

#63 2010-07-10 18:07:06

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Everyone please stay on topic or else this topic might as well be closed.

@pablokal - I think when it comes to privacy many people are either really protective (distrust Google etc) or fairly relaxed. You can imagine what happens when you have such opposite views.

#64 2010-07-10 23:22:41

luvva_cuppa
#! CrunchBanger

@pablokal I totally agree with your point. Some really interesting comments and useful tips and links came out of the thread but then got very silly. No further comment.

#65 2010-07-10 23:57:16

omns
#! wanderer

#66 2010-07-11 00:23:29

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

I apologize, it looks like the topic might have started the spin after I posted that picture. In hindsight I probably should have added some text, as it was meant to be topical, both as a tounge in cheek response to the post before it, and as a statement regarding the increasing amount of work/balancing act of trying to maintain personal space while still being able to engage socially on the internet (since several popular sites and one very large search engine have been working to create the channeled web via hyperconnection, just not usually named at such).  And for those who might be uncomfortable with some aspects of that, maybe if we were to ignore it would just go away (it won't). The caption seemed to fit well with that line of thought.

Last edited by chillicampari (2010-07-11 00:29:19)

#67 2010-07-11 00:43:58

winotree
#! Die Hard

#68 2010-07-11 00:56:16

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I too must share blame for focusing on one of the more amusing aspects of the video itself (of which there were several); a lot of the distractions in this thread came from the Lucas canon.

I do consider Internet privacy to be a serious issue; however, I stand behind my earlier assertion that Micro$oft money might have been behind that video.  (I consider Microsoft Bing to be as big/small a problem as Google search, by the way.)

What I find far more disturbing than anything mentioned in the video, or in this thread do date, are some of the Google apps available for Android-powered smartphones.  Have you seen the commercial for the one that can use GPS tracking to tell you what businesses are where within view of the phone's camera?

#69 2010-07-11 01:34:54

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

#70 2010-07-11 01:43:55

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#71 2010-07-11 01:54:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs

#72 2010-07-11 02:27:27

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#73 2010-07-11 02:40:11

anonymous
The Mystery Member

#74 2010-07-11 07:46:55

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger

I would like to apologize for derailing what I'm sure some of you think is a very serious issue. I know I contributed the most to the thread going off topic.

However, this is not rocket science.

-If you do not want what you search for, what you look at, what you don't search for, what you don't look at, to reside in the Google Death Star of targeted-advertising with it's algorithmic death ray of...targeted advertising, then don't use the Internet, or more specifically, do not use anything that Google has a hand in.

It is your responsibility as an individual to know who owns what and what they do with the information you provide them in exchange for the services afforded you by that companies' products.

It is your responsibility to elect public officials who will ensure that said information is in fact available to you in a timely manner through mail, Internet and telephone in whatever language you speak.

It is your responsibility to provide for the scenario, however unlikely, that you elected your public officials, who should be tasked with ensuring the protection of your privacy if nothing else, based upon what they promised to do to those big, bad corporations like Microsoft and Google with their evil, evil world dominating ways, and not based upon what those elected officials have actually done to said entities in the past.

If you do not believe it is the job of elected officials to do this job, and yet you "worry," about "companies that are so big we can't control them," then you should not be opening your speaking orifice or using your grasping digits to complain or fear monger or anything else.

And in the event that you live in a place where you are not given the opportunity to vote for your officials, where they may not be elected at all, then I suppose you have worse things to worry about at night than Google hording your personal information.

Such as it is, until I find out that Google is giving all of that information to the NSA or any of the other assorted Things That Go Bump In The Night, or until I find out Google or any other company has unwittingly provided said scary men said information without knowing it through a security crack, etc. then I am not going to lose a wink over the matter.

-Tomorrow thousands of human beings are going to starve to death, thousands are going to be raped or murdered or mugged, thousands are going to lose their jobs or their homes or their families. I seriously wonder about some people who CHOOSE to use this powerful tool knowing full well that there are bad people out there and that in a free society bad people are free to do bad things, even if after the fact they sometimes get in trouble, and then fear monger or go on a witchhunt or complain about it.

EDITED FOR CONTENT AND GRAMMATICAL ERRORS.
-JSchadt

Last edited by Schadt91 (2010-07-11 07:51:32)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#75 2010-07-11 08:41:01

pitje
#! Junkie
Website

I use google, and I don't care that they know what I search for, neither do I care one bit about the NSA, RIAA, and/or the Patriot Act.
Those instances are American, and afaik they don't have any say in my country (and YES, I am aware of the fact that there are a lot of things happening 'below tha radar'). On the other hand, I don't use a lot of Google services, only Gmail. No calendar, Journal, Reader or anything like that. No facebook, myspace or twitter. I'm not really the person who likes to 'tell' all my 'friends' about some obscure place on the internet, nor am I inclined to share personal things online. (If I want to talk to friends, I'll use mail/IM/telephone/face-to-face contact/write letters)
I mostly use email for non-important things, for financial things I hardly ever use the internet (I do have a credit card that I can use for online purchases, but it has a limit of one hundred euros), I hardly ever fill in personal info, I'm the kind of person who sends an email to a company/forum asking why they need my personal information to log in to their service.

I don't see why it is useful to have every service tied to another in a way that when someone 'tweets' (YUCK), another persons FaceBook updates it's Digg, and a FourSquare page is filled with Myspace links saying 'I like this'.
The web has become one big chatroom, filled with idiots repeating the same things over and over again.

I feel it really goes together with the thing Bill Hicks used to hate: Marketing. Repeating inanities over and over untill it has become the norm.
Everything is about letting other people know what is cool/hip/hot/nice, what you should buy and what not, what you should think and why. Everything is predetermined and you're ****ed when you don't agree or don't want to play.

Even the "if you've got nothing to hide, there's no need to be afraid"-line is used nowadays, and most people can't see the danger behind thinking like that.

ah well, enough ranting for today tongue

oh yeah? well, your momma dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files

Board footer