SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2010-06-30 00:27:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

chillicampari wrote:

2j3iphw.jpg

lol


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2010-06-30 15:51:34

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger
From: Prescott, AZ
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 159

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

I demand that the maligning of the Empire and the Dark Side cease immediately.

Offline

#53 2010-06-30 15:54:44

winotree
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-03-26
Posts: 548

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

Schadt91 wrote:

I demand that the maligning of the Empire and the Dark Side cease immediately.

I read that and thought you'd said malingeringneutral

Offline

#54 2010-06-30 16:59:01

benj1
Wiki Wizard
From: Yorkshire, England
Registered: 2009-09-05
Posts: 1,084

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

winotree wrote:
Schadt91 wrote:

I demand that the maligning of the Empire and the Dark Side cease immediately.

I read that and thought you'd said malingeringneutral

its a little known fact that the empire fell due to the number of sickies being taken, even darth was at it, with the laboured breath, pretending to have a robotic arm, did you actually see him do any proper work ?


- - - - - - - - Wiki Pages - - - - - - -
#! install guide           *autostart programs, modify the menu & keybindings
configuring Conky       *installing scripts

Offline

#55 2010-06-30 19:16:23

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger
From: Prescott, AZ
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 159

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

Lies, lies! Libel! Slander propagated by the Bothan spies!

Offline

#56 2010-06-30 20:40:35

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

by the Borg spies?


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#57 2010-06-30 21:34:07

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger
From: Prescott, AZ
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 159

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

Sector11 wrote:

by the Borg spies?

I won't even dignify that with a greater response.

Offline

#58 2010-06-30 22:32:22

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

The Bothan have NO spies!

Bothan.jpg

OK, I'm sorry.  It totally went over my head.  Please forgive me.
There is that better? smile

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-06-30 22:33:11)


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#59 2010-06-30 23:35:11

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger
From: Prescott, AZ
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 159

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

I have no idea what is going on in this thread at this point; all I know is that Emperor Palpatine, in a stroke of inspired genius, allowed the location of the Second Death Stars' construction site to fall into the hands of Bothan spies, thereby allowing him to meet the Rebel scum with approximately fifty f*@*ing billion Imperial Class-II Star Destroyers, and so on.

-Indeed, had it not been for Rogue Squadron, General Calrissian and that cursed General Solo with his infernal Ewok collaborators the Rebels would have been crushed.

Crushed I tell you!



And now, in observance of all the fallen Stormtroopers, I would like to thank the saboteur team sent to Drev'starn on Bothawui to disable the primary shield generator in advance of a massed Imperial attack. We all know how it turned out, but they really gave it a good try and we should be mindful of their sacrifice.

Offline

#60 2010-07-09 07:58:47

bathilda
Member
Registered: 2010-07-09
Posts: 11

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

not any more. there are a lot of things it cannot find, and not because there are no such things on the net or because i don't know know how to search... it's just..... a machine.....:|

Offline

#61 2010-07-10 12:18:09

pablokal
#! CrunchBanger
From: Nijmegen, Holland
Registered: 2009-12-11
Posts: 232
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

@ the forum moderators and @ all acitve forum members: In retrospect I think it is not so funny how this thread/subject was killed.
This happens more often at this forum.
It disturbs me because I would grant every gang its fun to play around, but like that there would be some room for serious discussion.
When a thread is hijacked by some nonsense interactions everybody with serious interest gives up the thread and it dies quite soon.
In the end it is quite disrespectful to the one who starts the thread and the people who like to be serious about it.


GNu/Linux: Nu nog schoner: http://linuxnogschoner.blogspot.com/  Dutch

Offline

#62 2010-07-10 17:49:22

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2009-01-07
Posts: 4,148
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

pablokal I understand how you feel. However, maybe the issue of web privacy and abuse of information is so big and complicated that there's no way to discuss it seriously. Google might well be a wonderful company but the world coming up in the near future is potentially so different from what we're used to that ...


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Offline

#63 2010-07-10 18:07:06

anonymous
The Mystery Member
From: Arch Linux Forums
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,419

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

Everyone please stay on topic or else this topic might as well be closed.

@pablokal - I think when it comes to privacy many people are either really protective (distrust Google etc) or fairly relaxed. You can imagine what happens when you have such opposite views.

Offline

#64 2010-07-10 23:22:41

luvva_cuppa
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2009-09-06
Posts: 214

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

@pablokal I totally agree with your point. Some really interesting comments and useful tips and links came out of the thread but then got very silly. No further comment.


"In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular."
Kathleen Norris

Offline

#65 2010-07-10 23:57:16

omns
#! wanderer
From: ~/
Registered: 2008-11-25
Posts: 5,131

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

pablokal wrote:

@ the forum moderators and @ all acitve forum members: In retrospect I think it is not so funny how this thread/subject was killed.
This happens more often at this forum.
It disturbs me because I would grant every gang its fun to play around, but like that there would be some room for serious discussion.
When a thread is hijacked by some nonsense interactions everybody with serious interest gives up the thread and it dies quite soon.
In the end it is quite disrespectful to the one who starts the thread and the people who like to be serious about it.

I tend to agree on this one. In the past I've seen this happen and be quite effective when someone makes an unjustified and silly attack on CrunchBang or other topics like Windows/Linux bashing. Instead of getting abusive in reply that argument is dismantled via the process exhibited in this thread. It's part of the quirky way we deal with conflict here and in this context it is most effective.

Unfortunately, it has become a bit to common place in serious discussion threads. The difference in this thread is that the intial post wasn't making an unjustified attack on google but was posting a link to a video which could discussed in a bit more depth. Perhaps we should all stop and think a bit more before posting.

As for the thread itself, I remember watching this video on Hungry Beast when it was shown in Australia earlier this year and was initially unsettled by it. Ultimately though I stick to my view in the second post of the thread but that said pablokal's view in this post is food for thought smile

Offline

#66 2010-07-11 00:23:29

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard
Registered: 2009-10-09
Posts: 2,728

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

I apologize, it looks like the topic might have started the spin after I posted that picture. In hindsight I probably should have added some text, as it was meant to be topical, both as a tounge in cheek response to the post before it, and as a statement regarding the increasing amount of work/balancing act of trying to maintain personal space while still being able to engage socially on the internet (since several popular sites and one very large search engine have been working to create the channeled web via hyperconnection, just not usually named at such).  And for those who might be uncomfortable with some aspects of that, maybe if we were to ignore it would just go away (it won't). The caption seemed to fit well with that line of thought.

Last edited by chillicampari (2010-07-11 00:29:19)

Offline

#67 2010-07-11 00:43:58

winotree
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-03-26
Posts: 548

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

....And for those who might be uncomfortable with some aspects of that, maybe if we were to ignore it would just go away (it won't)....

Then as users of the INTERNET and its search engines, what can we do knowing that personal information is being gathered and kept, sometimes, oftentimes, for months or years?  Can we say that actually, technically, that information is ours or do we give that away once we go on-line?  neutral

Offline

#68 2010-07-11 00:56:16

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 13,970

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

I too must share blame for focusing on one of the more amusing aspects of the video itself (of which there were several); a lot of the distractions in this thread came from the Lucas canon.

I do consider Internet privacy to be a serious issue; however, I stand behind my earlier assertion that Micro$oft money might have been behind that video.  (I consider Microsoft Bing to be as big/small a problem as Google search, by the way.)

What I find far more disturbing than anything mentioned in the video, or in this thread do date, are some of the Google apps available for Android-powered smartphones.  Have you seen the commercial for the one that can use GPS tracking to tell you what businesses are where within view of the phone's camera?

Offline

#69 2010-07-11 01:34:54

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard
Registered: 2009-10-09
Posts: 2,728

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

winotree wrote:

....And for those who might be uncomfortable with some aspects of that, maybe if we were to ignore it would just go away (it won't)....

Then as users of the INTERNET and its search engines, what can we do knowing that personal information is being gathered and kept, sometimes, oftentimes, for months or years?  Can we say that actually, technically, that information is ours or do we give that away once we go on-line?  neutral

I don't think it's really ours (which for some cases is a really good thing) but earlier the rules seemed clearer as far as data sharing. For example, I sign up for Gmail, I give that trade for bot-only keyword scanning to serve up ads in order to use their service to communicate. I'm okay with that. It worked that way for years, just fine with me. Suddenly I log in and have an unannounced social network (Buzz, mentioned in the video). No warning and at first, no real opt-out. My business contacts are now visibly mixed in with-say-the relatives who like to post pictures of me at five years old with my finger up my nose. big_smile Now some may say "well, you shouldn't have picked your nose when you were five" but really, was something like this even a consideration then? And the arrogance of the move bothered me, which isn't just on the Buzz thing, it's a 2.0 culture thing, which starts to go beyond the scope of this thread.

But I still use Gmail, Youtube, etc. I wouldn't go near Health, DNA, etc.

This all might end really great, I have no idea. I've just known many people in development who are eager to roll out something because they can, so they can be first, and not because they should.

@pvsage, I haven't seen that yet. I'll try to find it to see it.

Offline

#70 2010-07-11 01:43:55

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

I am as guilty as some and more than others for hijacking this thread.  I do however stand by what I said here in post #16.

When any company becomes so big that there is no way to control it, it is time to be worried.  I think that should be more the point: Are you worried about Google, about what they have collected on "you" (the proverbial YOU) and how they can do anything they want with it.  Yes, I am.

Considering that a good mathematician can make numbers have the results that people want to see. We've all heard of "cooking the books".  Well, a partial quote or misqoute can bring about results that are in fact 180 degrees from what was meant.  So Yes, I am worried

I 'try' to live my life so as not to have anything to worry about, being human I have failed many times. I take my errors try to learn from them and move on.

But someone with partial facts can twist and turn things anyway they want.  That is worrisome to say the least.

I have to laught at Google though they think that because I am in a Spanish speaking country I want all their ads in Spanish and will not allow me to 'easily' change to "www.google.com".  I have tried their "Search Settings" to no avail, they keep reverting back (exception: Allow cookie doesn't help).

Invasion of privacy is something to be worried about be it Google, Yahoo, your office or your neighbour.


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#71 2010-07-11 01:54:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 13,970

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

@chillicampari:  I believe the app's called Layer.  I believe this is cause for concern because if they're able to see what you're looking at and where you're going, they can follow you as you go there, then further target advertising based on how much time you spent at the gun show, the bakery, or the fetish shop.  (Seriously, how many of us *haven't* gone to each of these at least once?  I'm a Brady Bill supporter, and even I've been to a gun show!)

Thanks for mentioning Buzz.  I've never followed nor been followed by anyone in Buzz, but I've now disabled it and completely removed my "public profile", whatever that was.

Offline

#72 2010-07-11 02:27:27

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

pvsage wrote:

Thanks for mentioning Buzz.  I've never followed nor been followed by anyone in Buzz, but I've now disabled it and completely removed my "public profile", whatever that was.

See, now I just "Googled" BUZZ to find out what it is.  Looks like another spinoff of facebook that is a spinoff of ...

Now those places are scary. They're like a snowball rolling downhill, gathering speed, size and power people gladly feeding it all kinds of information that stretches from that first baby picture to someones funeral and everything in between.

And the peer pressure, get an account so you can see my pictures.  Remember years ago when peer pressure got you smoking, this is the same.

And I'm sure, somewhere in the BUZZ contract, in the fine print there is a statement that says "You hereby agree to give up all rights to all content you publish at this site and we have the right to use it as we see fit."  I'm sure that they use a lot of legal jargon in there to make it look a lot more complicated than that but that's the drift of it.

That really bothers me ... that's why I do not join places like that.


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#73 2010-07-11 02:40:11

anonymous
The Mystery Member
From: Arch Linux Forums
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,419

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

Sector11 wrote:

I have to laught at Google though they think that because I am in a Spanish speaking country I want all their ads in Spanish and will not allow me to 'easily' change to "www.google.com".

Try this url:

http://www.google.com/ncr

Also if you use Firefox/Iceweasel, you can use Greasemonkey and a script such as:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/47340

Offline

#74 2010-07-11 07:46:55

Schadt91
#! CrunchBanger
From: Prescott, AZ
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 159

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

I would like to apologize for derailing what I'm sure some of you think is a very serious issue. I know I contributed the most to the thread going off topic.


However, this is not rocket science.

-If you do not want what you search for, what you look at, what you don't search for, what you don't look at, to reside in the Google Death Star of targeted-advertising with it's algorithmic death ray of...targeted advertising, then don't use the Internet, or more specifically, do not use anything that Google has a hand in.

It is your responsibility as an individual to know who owns what and what they do with the information you provide them in exchange for the services afforded you by that companies' products.

It is your responsibility to elect public officials who will ensure that said information is in fact available to you in a timely manner through mail, Internet and telephone in whatever language you speak.

It is your responsibility to provide for the scenario, however unlikely, that you elected your public officials, who should be tasked with ensuring the protection of your privacy if nothing else, based upon what they promised to do to those big, bad corporations like Microsoft and Google with their evil, evil world dominating ways, and not based upon what those elected officials have actually done to said entities in the past.

If you do not believe it is the job of elected officials to do this job, and yet you "worry," about "companies that are so big we can't control them," then you should not be opening your speaking orifice or using your grasping digits to complain or fear monger or anything else.



And in the event that you live in a place where you are not given the opportunity to vote for your officials, where they may not be elected at all, then I suppose you have worse things to worry about at night than Google hording your personal information.

Such as it is, until I find out that Google is giving all of that information to the NSA or any of the other assorted Things That Go Bump In The Night, or until I find out Google or any other company has unwittingly provided said scary men said information without knowing it through a security crack, etc. then I am not going to lose a wink over the matter.


-Tomorrow thousands of human beings are going to starve to death, thousands are going to be raped or murdered or mugged, thousands are going to lose their jobs or their homes or their families. I seriously wonder about some people who CHOOSE to use this powerful tool knowing full well that there are bad people out there and that in a free society bad people are free to do bad things, even if after the fact they sometimes get in trouble, and then fear monger or go on a witchhunt or complain about it.



EDITED FOR CONTENT AND GRAMMATICAL ERRORS.
-JSchadt

Last edited by Schadt91 (2010-07-11 07:51:32)

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2010-07-11 08:41:01

pitje
#! Junkie
From: me to you
Registered: 2009-02-10
Posts: 438
Website

Re: On a more sinister note: Are you afraid of Google?

I use google, and I don't care that they know what I search for, neither do I care one bit about the NSA, RIAA, and/or the Patriot Act.
Those instances are American, and afaik they don't have any say in my country (and YES, I am aware of the fact that there are a lot of things happening 'below tha radar'). On the other hand, I don't use a lot of Google services, only Gmail. No calendar, Journal, Reader or anything like that. No facebook, myspace or twitter. I'm not really the person who likes to 'tell' all my 'friends' about some obscure place on the internet, nor am I inclined to share personal things online. (If I want to talk to friends, I'll use mail/IM/telephone/face-to-face contact/write letters)
I mostly use email for non-important things, for financial things I hardly ever use the internet (I do have a credit card that I can use for online purchases, but it has a limit of one hundred euros), I hardly ever fill in personal info, I'm the kind of person who sends an email to a company/forum asking why they need my personal information to log in to their service.

I don't see why it is useful to have every service tied to another in a way that when someone 'tweets' (YUCK), another persons FaceBook updates it's Digg, and a FourSquare page is filled with Myspace links saying 'I like this'.
The web has become one big chatroom, filled with idiots repeating the same things over and over again.

I feel it really goes together with the thing Bill Hicks used to hate: Marketing. Repeating inanities over and over untill it has become the norm.
Everything is about letting other people know what is cool/hip/hot/nice, what you should buy and what not, what you should think and why. Everything is predetermined and you're ****ed when you don't agree or don't want to play.

Even the "if you've got nothing to hide, there's no need to be afraid"-line is used nowadays, and most people can't see the danger behind thinking like that.

ah well, enough ranting for today tongue


oh yeah? well, your momma dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo