SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-19 16:36:06

Kruce

Coffee is a food group

I thought this deserved its own thread. 

With as many caffeine addicts in the world, a fair number of us HAS to fall into that category.  However, I have to say that I drink coffee not just for the kick, but I actually enjoy it.  Oddly enough, most of the guys at work (age late 20s-30s) drink energy drinks a la Red Bull and Monster.

That being said, I'll start off the coffee lovin' (snobbery?) with this:  Freshly ground (Kona) beans in a French Press.  Great way to start your Saturday morning.

Oh, and I really want to try the Blue Bottle Cafe (www.bluebottlecoffee.net) - the idea of siphon coffee is something else.

tNG9wOA (from NYTIMES http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dinin … =permalink)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-06-19 16:49:31

winotree
#! Die Hard

Re: Coffee is a food group

We got a bit OT over here http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/73158/#p73158 so I've linked your new thread to the end of that thread.  Let's see what happens -- and it's always a good time to talk coffee.  wink

#3 2010-06-19 14:23:28

winotree
#! Die Hard

We're talking about me making a mistake!  yikes  I'm going off now to drink massive amounts of hand-ground Peruvian coffee and will be back later.  lol

#4 2010-06-19 15:22:42

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:

We're talking about me making a mistake!  yikes  I'm going off now to drink massive amounts of hand-ground Peruvian coffee and will be back later.  lol

Oh sure, everywhere I go I am a Designated Driver and friends don't even invite me over for a cuppa hand-ground Peruvian coffee.

OK, I'll just go into my kitchen and make a nice pot of coffee and drink it all by myself!

Lets see, Argentinian, Bolivian or Brazilian, which do I make today?  What a buzz! Hey wait a bit of Columbian left, OK I make that.  You should have seen my bar when I drank.  big_smile

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#5 2010-06-19 15:34:09

SmashedGlass
#! CrunchBanger

winotree wrote:

Please to be sending the hand ground Peruvian to me, and I will magically fix the e2fsprogs problem big_smile

n00b~ness, evolving at a glacial pace
"I don't have an internet-addiction....I'm just trying to get to the end of it."
   --------------------Registered Linux User #494414--------------------
Dell D420 | 1.2Ghz Core Duo | 2Gb Ram | Intel 950GM | Kick~ass #! Box

#6 2010-06-19 15:40:59

winotree
#! Die Hard

SmashedGlass wrote:
winotree wrote:

Please to be sending the hand ground Peruvian to me, and I will magically fix the e2fsprogs problem big_smile

That was funny.  lol  The coffee was fine.  wink  My brain is alive.  big_smile  Not to go OT but I never even knew that coffee was grown in Peru -- it's become my regular lately.  [Now back to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress]

#7 2010-06-19 15:58:16

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

I live across the street from a Coffee Shop (not a Starbucks but close) ... runs out for a Chai Latte.

**wait ... this isn't the 'coffee' thread

Last edited by vrkalak (2010-06-19 15:58:53)

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#8 2010-06-19 16:03:49

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

winotree wrote:
SmashedGlass wrote:
winotree wrote:

That was funny.  lol  The coffee was fine.  wink  My brain is alive.  big_smile  Not to go OT but I never even knew that coffee was grown in Peru -- it's become my regular lately.  [Now back to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress]

We interrupt the regularly scheduled thread conversation, again, for this announcment:
OH MY!! Time to educate the uneducated: EXPLORE THE COFFEES OF THE WORLD
I believe that coffee is a Food Group
And now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread conversation, sorry for the inconvenience.

#9 2010-06-19 16:19:56

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

vrkalak wrote:

I live across the street from a Coffee Shop (not a Starbucks but close) ... runs out for a Chai Latte.

**wait ... this isn't the 'coffee' thread

Noooooooooo! get coffee flavoured e2fsprogs instead to keep things on topic!

PS: Could a moderator please make "Off Topic / General Chat > The Coffee Thread" and move these to that thread, in order of appearance!  Thank you

#10 2010-06-19 16:46:33

winotree
#! Die Hard

#11 2010-06-19 17:12:00

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Sector11 wrote:

PS: Could a moderator please make "Off Topic / General Chat > The Coffee Thread" and move these to that thread, in order of appearance!  Thank you

Consider it done.

#12 2010-06-19 17:16:24

winotree
#! Die Hard

I need another cup of coffee after reading, and, um, re-reading that.  neutral

#13 2010-06-19 17:18:08

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Ok I just realized I moved the posts into an existing thread instead of making a new one. Is this fine Sector11 or do you prefer a new thread?

#14 2010-06-19 17:43:50

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

[begin:sipping coffee]
This place (thread) works for me.  Glad we have our own place now.  Thanks guys.
[/sipping coffee]

my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#15 2010-06-19 18:56:13

GuruX
#! Die Hard

Ohhhh, I didn't realize that #!ers also are coffee geeks!
I'm one aswell. My burr grinder and french press provides me with good coffee every morning. I also had a stovetop cooker (poor mans espresso or mokka) earlier, but it got lost.
Right now I'm drinking my favourite. A Sidamo bean from Ethiopia. Another favourite is Ethiopian Harrar Longberry, for that blueberry taste.

#16 2010-06-19 19:07:01

safetycopy
urban legend

I am utterly useless until I've done my morning browse while throwing a couple cups of Colombian down my neck :-)

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

#17 2010-06-19 19:33:52

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

I have a good 'coffee drinking' story before I leave on vacation (holiday)

When I was a young boy, my father was an avid coffee drinker.  Peculated on the stove.  He would drink 3-4 pots of coffee (by himself) in the course of a day.

Well, one day he came in, from working outside, and as usual poured a cup of hot coffee.  And quickly spit it out.
He inquired of my mother, "What have you done?"

Apparently she had "washed" his coffee cup ... scrubbed it with soap and water.  Made it starkly clean.
He informed her that you "never wash a man's coffee mug" ... you rinse it out everyday, but you never, ever wash it.

He told her, that "it takes 2 years to build up flavor in a cup" ... and washing, said cup, can ruin the flavor.

I know 'my' coffee cup has never been washed.  lol

Last edited by vrkalak (2010-06-19 19:35:31)

my DeviantART page

#18 2010-06-19 19:41:18

safetycopy
urban legend

^ hehe - good story! :-)

Have a great holiday!

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

#19 2010-06-19 23:20:22

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@vrkalak:  He goes to the trouble of "building up flavor" in a coffee cup, but he drinks percolated coffee?  I thought percolating was supposed to be the absolute worst way to brew coffee. hmm

#20 2010-06-20 04:49:54

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

@vrkalak:  He goes to the trouble of "building up flavor" in a coffee cup, but he drinks percolated coffee?  I thought percolating was supposed to be the absolute worst way to brew coffee. hmm

When "I" was a little boy . . . that was 50 years ago.  Brewing it on the stove was the only way, back then.

my DeviantART page

#21 2010-06-20 09:25:02

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

I use a zassenhaus manual mill and french press... i like spending some extra time making my coffee...
There's a great coffee seller in my town with lots of excellent coffee beans. They even have a great decaf.
Now enjoying Sumatra Gayo Raja (FairTrade of course)

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#22 2010-06-20 14:42:36

Kyte
#! Junkie

When in the Navy, before going to my ship, a Chief that I had spent a year working with told me that I would be "low man" and therefore required to make coffee.  Well, back then I was a "tea totaller!(WRONG METAPHORE) lol, and he told me that there were two kinds of water on a ship, distilled and salt.  So...make my first pot with saltwater and I'd never have to make it again! So I did, and then didn't have to!  lol

However, I have since then, drank almost nothing but coffee and spent twenty years drinking Maxwell House instant.

Then, for Christmas, our oldest boy gave me and offbrand coffee grinder and some "Bold" Coffee beans and I've never went back.  No flavoured stuff for me! And I buy a small package of some kind of Bold, Kona, whatever beans every week at the "pick your own" machine at the local grocery and grind my own.

The only problem is that every once in a while somebody forwards a REALLY UNEXPECTEDLY FUNNY thing to me and I spew a little on the screen but....ahhh life in the fast lane!

Kyte

Kyte: Always flittin' around with his head in the clouds!

#23 2010-06-20 16:27:47

SmashedGlass
#! CrunchBanger

Tunafish wrote:

I use a zassenhaus manual mill and french press... i like spending some extra time making my coffee...
There's a great coffee seller in my town with lots of excellent coffee beans. They even have a great decaf.
Now enjoying Sumatra Gayo Raja (FairTrade of course)

At home, I use a single-cup Tassen press; no need to have more than one cup brewed up at a time when I'm out the door by 05.30 and not home til 18.00. Otherwise, I go to my favorite locally owned and independent cafe and roaster's, Boulder Street Coffee Roasters, three blocks from home.
I abhor the evil empire that is Starbucks....and Walmart. wink

n00b~ness, evolving at a glacial pace
"I don't have an internet-addiction....I'm just trying to get to the end of it."
   --------------------Registered Linux User #494414--------------------
Dell D420 | 1.2Ghz Core Duo | 2Gb Ram | Intel 950GM | Kick~ass #! Box

#24 2010-06-20 17:46:54

winotree
#! Die Hard

Man, oh man.  I've just been searching for images of some of the grinders or presses mentioned and I've got say that some of youse guys got nice toys!  big_smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2010-06-20 18:43:12

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

There's lots of information at www.coffegeek.com     And you can spend a fortune on grinders, machines and coffee if you want to...
The manual mill was a reasonable option for me... i hate the noise of many electric grinders...

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

Board footer