SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-21 00:35:22

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

[Retired] HOWTO: Bluetooth

05/15/2014 Moderator note - if you've found this from a web search it's from 2009 and applies to a version of CrunchBang that is no longer supported. Thanks - cc

A few people have asked how to setup blueooth, it is very easy and only a few steps big_smile

sudo apt-get install bluez-gnome bluetooth gnome-bluetooth

Once installed, then you need to add the tray icon to your autostart.sh

(sleep 5s && bluetooth-applet) &

Once thats up and running, plugin your bluetooth usb dongle, the icon should appear and you can do all the usual bt things.

Last edited by chillicampari (2014-05-15 08:24:50)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-01-21 00:38:35

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Re: [Retired] HOWTO: Bluetooth

Nice one, thank you Nik_Doof! This will come in handy, I think I should add it to the wiki FAQ as it has been asked about on several occasions.

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#3 2009-02-08 15:55:47

extraspecialbitter
#! Junkie
Website

I was able to get bluetooth to recognize and pair with a Sony Ericsson HBH-DS220 headset, but my current challenge is to get the music players on my #! desktop (I've tried amarok, gxine and vlc so far) to recognize it as an available audio device.  The Volume Control GUI only sees a USB microphone - not the headset.  I'm thinking I might have to change something in my udev configuration, but was wondering if anyone else had encountered this before.  Thanks in advance!

#4 2009-02-08 16:24:24

stela111

extraspecialbitter, have you looked at this page?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothAudio
I have a similar Sony Ericsson headset which I got to work with plain Ubuntu  on my eee 901. I will probably try with #! soon...

#5 2009-02-08 19:15:57

omns
#! wanderer

corenominal wrote:

Nice one, thank you Nik_Doof! This will come in handy, I think I should add it to the wiki FAQ as it has been asked about on several occasions.

We probably should sticky it for a while as well smile

#6 2009-02-10 08:47:23

chiemartin
Website

Will be trying this out now.  Thanks!

UPDATE:  Hmmm... didn't get mine to work.  My EEE PC 701 can see my Samsung P310.  While trying to pair, it just fails.  I'm using one of those old bluetooth dongles, 1.2 I think.

Last edited by chiemartin (2009-02-10 09:51:49)

#7 2009-02-10 22:07:06

stela111

I finally got my bluetooth headset to work with vlc! (Running cruncheee on an eee-901) Recipe in three simple steps (provided of course that you have bluetooth up and running according to the initial post by Nik_Doof):

1. Pair the headset with your laptop using the bluetooth-applet.

2. In ~/.asoundrc add:

pcm.bluetooth {
   type bluetooth
}

3. In ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc, uncomment and change the alsadev parameter to:

# string (ALSA Device Name)
alsadev=bluetooth

Voila! I think these are the absolute minimum changes needed. Start vlc and play a video or some music! (You might need to do a logout/login first for the .asoundrc change to take hold. This is still pretty much like magic to me...)

Sources: http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices and http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/teach-it/bl … u-hh-24028

#8 2009-02-11 06:38:49

chiemartin
Website

Nice.  I'll have to try that out as well when I get a new bluetooth dongle, a 2.0 this time. big_smile

#9 2009-02-14 00:20:35

extraspecialbitter
#! Junkie
Website

stela111 wrote:

extraspecialbitter, have you looked at this page?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothAudio
I have a similar Sony Ericsson headset which I got to work with plain Ubuntu  on my eee 901. I will probably try with #! soon...

Thank you for the informative reply!  Following the instructions in the above link I was able to get my Sony Ericsson HBH-DS220 working perfectly under Ubuntu 8.10.  Crunchbang doesn't have the same GNOME GUI for sound configuration, so I'll have to figure out a different way to get it working there (my preference).

Thanks again!

#10 2009-02-14 17:30:34

extraspecialbitter
#! Junkie
Website

stela111 wrote:

I finally got my bluetooth headset to work with vlc! (Running cruncheee on an eee-901) Recipe in three simple steps (provided of course that you have bluetooth up and running according to the initial post by Nik_Doof):

1. Pair the headset with your laptop using the bluetooth-applet.

2. In ~/.asoundrc add:

pcm.bluetooth {
   type bluetooth
}

3. In ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc, uncomment and change the alsadev parameter to:

# string (ALSA Device Name)
alsadev=bluetooth

Voila! I think these are the absolute minimum changes needed. Start vlc and play a video or some music! (You might need to do a logout/login first for the .asoundrc change to take hold. This is still pretty much like magic to me...)

Sources: http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices and http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/teach-it/bl … u-hh-24028

I just thought I'd mention that I wasn't able to get vlc to work with my bluetooth headphones under #!, but I did get rhythmbox to work using the link above, so it's definitely possible.  Thanks again for the encouragement!

#11 2009-02-28 22:20:57

san

Added the bluetooth applet on my eee 901, and it works with my Sony Ericsson W890i except a few things.

1) Nothing happens if I press "Browse files on device". I guess since this is a Gnome applet it wants to use the Nautilus filemanager. Can I make it use pcmanfm instead?

2) I can send files from my eee to my phone, but not the other way around. In fact, my phone can't find or connect to the eee. It does register the eee when I added the phone through bluetooth-applet, but still can't make a connection. As I'm more likely to send files from my phone, this is rather annoying... it worked on the default Xandros install, so I guess there's some software missing?

Edit: Ok, got sending from phone working. I installed the package "obexpushd" and added it to the autostart script (on its own line)

Last edited by san (2009-02-28 23:09:16)

#12 2009-02-28 22:30:39

iggykoopa
Script Master

you could try blueman instead of the default bluetooth applet, I just switched and like it better...after you follow the instructions on this page http://bigbrovar.wordpress.com/2009/02/ … or-ubuntu/ just change your autostart from bluetooth-applet to blueman-applet.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#13 2009-02-28 23:13:55

san

Thanks, will definitely check blueman out.

Edit: Installed blueman. Not sure I like it more, since right now I don't need the more advanced features, and the notification can be a little annoying. I don't need to run obexpushd with blueman, though, but that's not the biggest problem. Filebrowsing is still not possible with pcmanfm, unfortunately, since it can't use the obex:// protocol.

Last edited by san (2009-03-01 01:23:35)

#14 2009-03-01 01:51:56

Toolz
#! Die Hard

Blueman is interesting:

From that Blueman page > "Bluetooth support took a nose dive in Intrepid Ibex when even the basic bluetooth support  got broken"

You can say that again! I had to get my GPS paired last night by pasting in a large .conf file. I'll see if Blueman handles my GPS any more elegantly.

Last edited by Toolz (2009-03-01 02:07:27)

#15 2009-03-01 02:02:50

iggykoopa
Script Master

if you don't mind pulling in a bunch of kde dep's you could install dolphin...or there are some posts on here on how to use nautilus without it taking over the desktop. heres howto for nautilus http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … r-openbox/

edit: also if you want to use nautilus you'll need to move /usr/bin/crunchbang/nautilus to /usr/bin/crunchbang/nautilus.bak or launch it as /usr/bin/nautilus

Last edited by iggykoopa (2009-03-01 02:17:52)

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#16 2009-03-01 12:08:47

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Hello Piraja smile

You could try adding these gconftool instructions to your autostart file:

# Just in case some random app calls on Nautilus, lets set some safeguards to minimise the impact:
# Disable Nautilus desktop, because we really really do not want it!
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false &
# Do not let Nautilus set the background, because we really really do not want this either.
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false &

More info about the above in this thread: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … box-howto/

Hope it helps.

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#17 2009-03-01 15:24:12

Piraja
#! Die Hard

corenominal wrote:

Hello Piraja smile[...] More info about the above in this thread: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … box-howto/

Thank you Corenominal! Actually I already did, before reading your reminder... A reminder, I just wrote, since I'm a moron: I realized too late that the link was already there (in iggykoopa's post) — this is why I deleted my redundant query, hoping that no one read it yet. See my thread at Ubuntu Forums.

So, thanks again, and sorry for your unnecessary extra trouble in helping the idiot that I am! roll

P.S. See also this post at UF, w/ scrots.

Last edited by Piraja (2009-03-01 15:34:11)

I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule wink
Now playing: Libre.fm

#18 2009-03-22 00:29:33

njama

does not work with me

#19 2009-03-22 13:31:51

Piraja
#! Die Hard

njama wrote:

does not work with me

Which app doesn't? I eventually switched to blueman and I'm happier with it.

I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule wink
Now playing: Libre.fm

#20 2009-03-30 19:50:27

red devil
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Thanks to Nik_Doof's original post and San's post about obexpushd I've got CrunchBang paired with my Nokia N96, and am able to send and receive files both ways - really appreciate those tips guys, thank you.

--------------------------------------------------
I wonder what happens if I click on this..?
Registered Linux User No. 382639
Identi.ca   Twitter   The Red Devil blog

#21 2009-05-02 18:36:40

vynlwombat

has anyone gotten a bluetooth headset to work with skype?

#22 2009-05-26 07:09:26

nauska

san wrote:

Nothing happens if I press "Browse files on device". I guess since this is a Gnome applet it wants to use the Nautilus filemanager. Can I make it use pcmanfm instead?

Did you get it to work? Or does someone else know how to browse the phone through PCManFM? I would love to be able to browse my phone instead of sending one file at a time to/from the phone!

#23 2009-06-03 01:51:48

natsbar

Ok, here's what I did so far.

- Installed blueman to replace bluetooth (I like the interface better)
- Paired the bluetooth headset (Platronics Voyager Pro) to the pc through blueman
- Connected the headset service through blueman
- Created the file in ~/.asoundrc
pcm.bluetooth {
   type bluetooth
}
- Rebooted, just in case that would help

What do I still have to do to get the bluetooth headset to show up in the Volume Control GUI.  I've seen the Volume Control GUI work when I attach my USB speakers, but the same is not happening for the bluetooth headset, so what steps have I missed?

#24 2009-07-16 02:30:55

jackbang
#! CrunchBanger

bump for bluetooth-browse.  It connects to the phone ok, but then fails with

Couldn't execute command: nautilus --no-default-window "obex://[00:1B:AF:F6:3E:B8]

Obviously because nautilus isn't installed.  I don't want to install nautilus, it brings in a TON of useless stuff like evolution. Is there another way to browse obex uri's?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2009-07-16 02:43:52

jackbang
#! CrunchBanger

OK, found somehting called obextool

sudo apt-get install obextool

I can't find how to alter the bluetooth-browse command to point it at obextool though.  obextool can do it's own scanning, but doesn't fit into the applet menus etc so well - or at all, in fact.

EDIT: actually obextool is not ideal, it can't take a command-line location, and it is itself a "filemanager", but a bit limited, eg you can't select more than 1 file ata time to "download".
I've installed gnome-vfs-obexftp, which gives nautilus the ability to browse obexftp, butare there any other filemanagers that can use gnome-vfs?

Last edited by jackbang (2009-07-16 03:33:02)

Board footer