SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-12-22 05:50:28

ewlabonte

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

I am in the advanced stage of the distrohopping disease. I've installed up to 3 distros in a single day, that includes download time for the iso. I've recently moved and haven't picked up a set of sharpies yet and I have about 25 unmarked cds and dvds that have various distros burnt onto them. HELP!!!

I tried to make my problem into a virtue by doing a podcast about installing linux. It's called The LIP, the linux install podcast, but I haven't done a new episode in over 9 months.

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2009-12-22 07:38:17

klanger
#! Die Hard

#53 2009-12-22 17:24:59

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

#54 2009-12-23 01:35:58

sjr

#55 2009-12-23 01:44:32

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

#56 2009-12-23 03:01:05

ewlabonte

For now I'm satisfied. I managed to get Debian Squeeze installed on my laptop. It was a pain in the ass because the wireless interface on the installer wasn't working correctly. So I had to use an ethernet connection until I got a minimal installation then I built the system from that. The *real* Debian is fascinating because you can make it into anything you want. But I couldn't get Debian installed on my Acer one netbook. The installer didn't support the wireless or the ethernet card. I tried installing Lenny via an external cdrom. That worked but Lenny didn't support those cards either. So I went back to Karmic netbook remix.

#57 2009-12-24 11:52:25

sjr

#58 2009-12-24 17:31:07

dippedandfried
#! Member

^ sjr, it warms my heart to see such a spirit of giving...especially on Christmas Eve. Your offer to ewlabonte nearly brought me to tears. And ewlabonte, I just wanted to let you know that my wife and I recently turned over our entire life savings to sjr for a real estate investment in Florida...we'll have to beg on a streetcorner for airfare from Minnesota to Florida to look at it, but we're sure that sjr has done well by us....

IMHO, many of us could take sjr's example to heart and make this weird planet a better place for all. <snort>

eeepc 1005PEB dual-boot Win7/Crunchified Mint 10.04 LTS
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

#59 2009-12-25 00:24:53

Ronin
#! Member

I'm also moved to tears. Wait, that's because I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!!!

Merry Christmas!

Freedom to choose is the most basic of all rights.

#60 2009-12-25 00:35:06

Ronin
#! Member

I'm actually seriously contemplating the LFS trip, Digit. I want to do it, not to find my dream distro, but for the actual learning of it all, the things picked up along the way.

Oh, yeah, and I do expect it to be a sort of meditative practise, more Zen than Tibetan Buddhist, in my case.

As an old Master once said,

'Before enlightenment, installing kernel, configuring system.
After enlightenment, installing kernel, configuring system.'

(I'm not talking about E17, either!)

#61 2009-12-25 00:53:04

Ronin
#! Member

I really think we distro hop because we are avoiding learning about Linux.

I could be working through some BASH commands, but that's hard. I don't see their immediate usefulness, so I put it off. Then I become bored, or experience some unnamed angst, and I must do something to satisfy my inner longing.

So I repeat the thing that gave me a rush once: I install a new distro to experience the immediate satisfaction of making the system dance in some new way, and I feel elated as though I myself had done it, and not the DVD or CD and it's advanced, and oversimplified installer.

True, along the way I did become comfortable with a text based installer. True, I did learn an awful lot about partitioning. But I am still a long way from really getting a grip on what I'm putting on those partitions, and the untapped potential beneath the surface of the GUI I'm using.

I have to not allow myself to substitute the 'rush' of Linux experience for the hard work of real life, down in the grease and the grime that makes the machine run for me. I can see that.

But I have to approach it from several angles to accurately see this thing that's in front of me right now. At least that's the way it is for me. It's the only way I learn.

I know that one day I will want to know the command to do something the GUI either can't do or will do inefficiently and slowly, and if I have spent my time playing games or trying another *buntu-based distro looking for the rush, I won't be ready to help myself. Or help someone else, if need be. 

I know this is the answer, and I *pray* that I have the strength to do it, for myself, and for others. I want to give back into Linux and Open Source, because they have been there for me.

#62 2009-12-25 00:54:12

sjr

#63 2009-12-25 15:19:59

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

#64 2009-12-25 23:04:23

Behemoth
#! Member

Hello, my name is Behemoth, and I'm a distro hopper.

*sits back down*

I have been distro-hopping for about a year now, from Arch, Ubuntu, Zenwalk, Wolvix, Sabayon, Gentoo, Debian, Mepis, Fedora, Slackware, openSUSE, Mandriva, Vector, Sidux, GoblinX, Frugalware, etc.....

I found #! around december last year, and find myself coming back. I too share the common symptoms that have already been stated, where the user achieves full customization and stability in the current distro, then hops to the next. Using a steady dose of #!, along with constantly tweaking and learning new scripts, I believe I have overcome my addiction, and I am proud to say that I have been 4 months clean of distro-hopping. I still check distrowatch out from time-to-time, but I don't give in to the temptation. My willpower is greater than the distro that stands before me.

Thank you #!, your wireless-working-out-of-the-box, and ultimate customization have helped curb my desires. That, coupled with the inner happiness of seeing utter confusion of a Windoez user stare at my screen looking for a 'Start' button, I can finally say that I am cured.

I am here for moral support if any distro-hopper needs a push in the right direction. Also, free coffee and doughnuts are available on the table in the corner.

#65 2009-12-26 14:17:52

sjr

#66 2009-12-28 16:14:02

fox
#! Junkie

Last edited by fox (2009-12-28 16:18:39)

Mac user with Linux tendencies
#!CrunchBang Waldorf & Ubuntu 13.04 on Acer 1810TZ (OCZ Vertex 2 128gb SSD)
Various linux virtual machines on a Mac mini, an iMac and a MacBook Air

#67 2009-12-29 01:43:15

ewlabonte

#68 2009-12-29 03:35:42

p0rksh3d
#! CrunchBanger

k guys.... I'm putting my hopping days behind me...  working on my new distro 4 years in the making    puppy(woof is da shit) + gentoo (funtoo has made it possible) with a hint of bang...

it's called corbonix and you'll see it on distro watch within the year

basically I'm bringing the best of portability to source based

been working on it through the holidays and will be my school project for the new year

#69 2009-12-29 03:38:23

p0rksh3d
#! CrunchBanger

Last edited by p0rksh3d (2009-12-29 03:39:14)

#70 2009-12-29 16:19:10

charlie01
#! Die Hard

And my addiction grows stronger,,,SuperOS came out today,,and im downloading it just for downloading it sake..LOL,,I already have Ubuntu on a machine,,,But this new Ubuntu Derivative keeps calling me with this evil voice,,,,,Try me,,Try me,,,Youll like it,,,LOL

#71 2009-12-29 17:39:55

dove
#! CrunchBanger

I'm a custom art computer box builder (hobby) so I play with different linux os's on the sifferant box's and #!'s still my fave. I've just built a new quad core and I've always wanted a custom gentoo and have not been able to load it, but now I'm committed to loading a crunchtoo (openbox gentoo) on it.
I believe I have seen (in these forums) how to mod openbox on arch/gentoo to be like crunchbang, is this so?
This is the best forums!

#72 2009-12-30 19:16:31

ozymand1as

Let's see....This is an abridged version of my distro hopping that occurred over 5 years of my life.

My first distro was Suse, my brother installed it onto the family comp when we were in middle school. Hated it. Stuck to Windows.
Brother installed Knoppix. Intruiged I was not. Still stuck to Windows.
When I got my own laptop, I was more technologically educated. Got Ubuntu 8.04.
Decided Ubuntu sucked. Went to gOS
Went back to Ubuntu after deciding that gOS was for scrubs.
Went to Fedora. I must have been crazy back then.
Got scared, went back to Ubuntu.
Went to Kubuntu.
Instantly switched back.
Went to Xubuntu.
Instantly switched back.
Went to some obscure thing that I actually forget.
Went back to Ubuntu.
Installed Mac4Lin. Felt dirty. (Okay, not really a distro change, but it was a pretty major interface change)
Stared at arch. Felt really stupid for overwriting everything.
Tried out Crunchbang. Loved it except for the kernel lag
Tried ubuntu +openbox
Then xubuntu+openbox
Then I came back here.  So far, my favorite. Except for the kernel lag. But that's cool.

It's funny because every time I switch, it's a full job switch that usually takes 4-5 hours of pain. Thing is that I don't believe that virtual box gives you the complete feel of a distro change.

Judging by what I see in the forums and reflecting upon myself, I probably will change again. Maybe, if I become pro suddenly, Arch. And maybe, if I get frustrated with the kernel lag, I'll go back to (x)ubuntu+openbox. Who knows?

My biggest gripe however, is that I'm lazy. I don't actually try to learn the real linux. Just the stuff on top. I want to, but I don't. I think that's why I distro-hop, like what Ronin said.

I am ozymand1as, and I'm a distro-hopper.

#73 2009-12-30 19:29:15

saneks
#! Die Hard

wasted a full day of my life now on Slitaz.. very cool and fast distro for my eee netbook, but with the eee-version I don't manage to get into the internet, with the default slitaz everything is cool except or screen resolution.. too frustrating, but cant stop...argh.

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#74 2009-12-31 14:31:38

extraspecialbitter
#! Junkie
Website

In the mid-90's I nearly tried to install an early version of Slackware but one of the 44 floppy disks was missing.  A true story.

It took a few years before I tried again, this time with Red Hat 7.0.  I liked it, and updated through RH 7.3 but got annoyed when they "went corporate" with RHEL.

At this point I was still dual-booting with Windows and whichever flavor of Linux I was using at the time.  Around the time of RH 9.0 I switched to KNOPPIX, but viewed it more as a good live-CD for recovery purposes than a full-fledged desktop.  I switched back to Red Hat, but reluctantly continued to use Windows as my "regular" OS.

The first distribution I considered "Desktop-Worthy" was Ubuntu's "Hoary Hedgehog."  Over the next few months I found myself using my Linux desktop more than Windows.  When I purchased a new laptop, I swiftly voided the warranty by installing Hoary on it.  At the time, Broadcom wireless support was only available through ndiswrapper, but the forums proved invaluable for resolving any issue I would encounter.

I discovered BLAG Linux and GNU circa BLAG 50001 and installed it over my Windows partition.

It occurred to me that 2 partitions might not be enough.  I added a 200 GB drive to my desktop and created 5 partitions.  At any given time I would have the latest BLAG, Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mint, gNewSense, Tuquito, Ututo, Musix, dyne:bolic, KNOPPIX, Kanotix, Sidux, Arch, and most likely a few others I've forgotten.

I only discovered CrunchBang about a year ago.  It quickly became my default desktop and laptop distro, although I'll readily admit to more-than occasional recreational use of Ubuntu, Debian and others.  While I'm encouraged to find that there are others sharing this sad affliction, I remain unconvinced that there will ever be a cure.  wink

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2009-12-31 20:00:00

ozymand1as

lol extraspecialbitter big_smile
must of been an experience juggling all of those floppies then finding out one was missing

Board footer