SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-08 16:26:16

Book

Tile windows in openbox with pytyler

A few days ago I installed this tiling manager and I fell instantly in love...As I didn't found nothing about it on the #cb forums, I wanted to share this with you.

It works great in Openbox, it's fast, light, very easy to setup and configure, has a ton of options ...and after a while cycling through layouts becomes quite addictive

Check out the main page here http://pytyle.com/wiki/Main_Page
A feature list with screenshots http://pytyle.com/wiki/Features
The very detailed configuration page http://pytyle.com/wiki/Configuration
Created by a Arch user, the history is here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78666

And a few of my own screenshots :
t_4myskg85p6qm_70d5b56.png

t_4myskg85p6qm_3649a29.png

t_4myskg85p6qm_9e44e34.png

I'll let you discover the rest...

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-09-08 16:50:58

iggykoopa
Script Master

Re: Tile windows in openbox with pytyler

sorry for the off-topic but what font are you using? I really like it.
once I go back to openbox from netbook-remix I'll take a look at this, thanks for bringing it up.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#3 2009-09-08 17:00:21

klanger
#! Die Hard

wow smile

thanks for the link!

#4 2009-09-08 17:06:42

Book

iggykoopa wrote:

sorry for the off-topic but what font are you using? I really like it.

it's fontin small caps, you can get it here http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/fontin.html

#5 2009-09-08 18:11:29

iggykoopa
Script Master

thanks, I have a new favorite big_smile kinda reminds me of Diablo

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#6 2009-09-08 19:27:38

UkDkDe

Thanks for this  suggestion. Just what I have been looking for.
A better solution than "tile" for me. Uses screen space very effectively

#7 2009-09-10 22:18:47

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

pytyler: dwm&openbox working together smile
thx for sharing

#8 2009-09-10 23:28:05

BurntSushi

Hey guys- thanks for the support! This is the developer of PyTyle- I'm open to any comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc. smile

#9 2009-09-10 23:32:23

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

hi BurntSushi, you've made a very good job on this app smile
talking about comments, criticisms...... nothing to say in fact big_smile
perfect job, text-config is very clear, light and efficient, a #!apps for next release??

#10 2009-09-11 00:00:48

BurntSushi

arpinux wrote:

hi BurntSushi, you've made a very good job on this app smile
talking about comments, criticisms...... nothing to say in fact big_smile

Thanks! If you think of any, post them here. I've subscribed to the thread so I'll see it.

arpinux wrote:

perfect job, text-config is very clear, light and efficient, a #!apps for next release??

Sadly, I'm woefully ignorant of #!. I actually hadn't heard of it until I started using Arch (I guess we can sometimes end up in the same places). Is there anyway you could shove me in the right direction for perhaps a write-up/documentation on how to add to #!apps?

Thanks!

Last edited by BurntSushi (2009-09-11 00:01:05)

#11 2009-09-11 00:19:42

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

^ actually, the last line of my post was for corenominal ( #! architect ) smile . he likes include external source to suit his needed ( or ours), so if some #!ers use your soft, he'll probably add it in the next #! release... maybe a .deb package will help so he could add it in #! repositories. i've never made a .deb but someone (you or a #!er) could build it.
talking about an how to, i think your config file is clear enough 'cause #! isn't a "gui distro" (conky, dmenu, tint2, cli-apps by default in openbox menu... ), we like to put hands into config files, as you could see if you turn around here wink
anyway, thanks for your interest , and don't hesitate to try CRUNCHBANG LINUX, the best Linux distro big_smile

#12 2009-09-11 02:17:25

BurntSushi

arpinux wrote:

^ actually, the last line of my post was for corenominal ( #! architect ) smile . he likes include external source to suit his needed ( or ours), so if some #!ers use your soft, he'll probably add it in the next #! release... maybe a .deb package will help so he could add it in #! repositories. i've never made a .deb but someone (you or a #!er) could build it.

Gotya- thought you were referring to a package repo or something.

arpinux wrote:

talking about an how to, i think your config file is clear enough 'cause #! isn't a "gui distro" (conky, dmenu, tint2, cli-apps by default in openbox menu... ), we like to put hands into config files, as you could see if you turn around here wink
anyway, thanks for your interest , and don't hesitate to try CRUNCHBANG LINUX, the best Linux distro big_smile

Arch doesn't even come with X wink

I'll be sure to try out #! when I get some free time. I actually might look into recommending it to friends with older PC's that don't want raw Linux but also don't want the bloat of a normal Ubuntu install.

Last edited by BurntSushi (2009-09-11 02:20:20)

#13 2009-09-21 20:12:41

rsw
#! CrunchBanger

I have installed this "pytyler," and I say that it is Good.

It is not an adequate replacement for dwm/awesome/etc due to the amount of time it takes windows to adjust.  It is much slower than a true tiling wm.  It's great for if you're just using openbox regular, and every now-and-then you'll be in the middle of something and thinking "damn, wish I was running a tiling WM instead right now."  I often find myself in such a position and so will probably use pytyler quite a lot.  Thanks for posting it...

#14 2009-09-21 20:53:13

Raffles10
#! Member

Much slower than a true tiling WM ? How many milliseconds slower ? It's like lightning here.

#15 2009-09-21 21:12:17

rsw
#! CrunchBanger

Raffles10 wrote:

Much slower than a true tiling WM ? How many milliseconds slower ? It's like lightning here.

I don't think it's pytyler's slowness so much as openbox's at resizing/repositioning the windows.  I just switched to awesomewm and cycled some windows around to make sure I wasn't delusional, and there is a noticeable difference.  I'm not sure if I care to break out a stopwatch and time it but it's there.  I'm running a 2.4 ghz p4.  Perhaps results vary.

#16 2009-09-24 03:37:48

BurntSushi

rsw,

PyTyle will certainly be slower than a normal tiling window manager (by virtue of there being more layers). However, it honest-to-goodness shouldn't be too noticeable (in Openbox). I can't really think of why you're seeing such a lag, but is it possible there are any other programs running that are managing windows? Maybe devilspie?

If you're running PyTyle on a compositor (like KWin or Compiz) with desktop effects enabled, then you'll definitely see some noticeable lag.

#17 2010-01-20 20:49:10

yt
#! Member

I really enjoy pytyle - thank you for that! But I have some problems with pekwm and pytyle using the last version (0.7.4). pytyle has difficulties to skip the window decoration, so that I don't see the last line of a terminator-session when several instances of terminator are in one row.

Is that a problem of my configuration and how can I change that?

#18 2010-01-21 09:44:45

jackbang
#! CrunchBanger

This looks excellent, I can't wait to try, except I'm stuck on a mac at the moment.
Just one question, is it two-way - is the layout of a tiled workspace fixed, or can I manually resize windows, and pytile re-sizes everything to fit?  I really like the idea of pekwm's "maximize to fit" or whatever it's called, where you can maximize a window to fill all the space until it bumps into a neighbour.

#19 2010-01-25 11:16:56

yt
#! Member

After some investigations I know now that isn't a problem of my configuration because unter openbox it is runnig as it should. Any advices for using pytyle with pekwm? Some users out there with similar problems?

#20 2010-04-14 19:47:43

Criminal
#! Member

Hi!
I really like pytyle, and use it a lot. great work!
But when using blender it comes that pytyle steals the hotkeys i want/need to use in blender. E.g. I need Alt+h, but when pytyle is running in background (even in untile-mode) I can't use the combinations.
First I started to reconfigure pytyle, but I'm running out of keys that I can use for tiling. So my next step was to start and kill pytyle through openbox and the rc file. So Alt+a should run pytyle and tile the desktop, Alt+u untile and kill pytyler. Running pytyle is no problem, but how can I tell it to tile only the active desktop from start and how to untile before I kill it? When i just kill it the windows remain tiled, so reset seems to be needed here.
I tried different things like "pytyle -tile.default" but no success until now. that's what i got in the rc file until now:

<!-- Start Pytyler + kill Pytyler -->
    <keybind key="A-a">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>pytyle -tyle.default</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="A-u">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>killall pytyle</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

In short words: how can I use the commands from the pytylerc file in command line?
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Criminal (2010-04-15 08:36:35)

#21 2011-07-25 23:06:49

Root-Minuz
#! Member

I know the original post is a bit dated but thanks!!! this is what I was looking for actually
and for anyone that might find this interesting..... pytyle2 works very well with GNOME3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite interesting result actually tongue

Last edited by Root-Minuz (2011-07-25 23:07:55)

#22 2011-07-26 02:09:23

crunchy
#! Junkie

it does???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

that would solve ALL of my problems with gnome3. (I've been trying it out, I don't really like it that much so far.

I've used pytyle in openbox in the past and love it a lot!

registered Linux user: #533379
registered #! user: #6769
Whenever someone calls me a computer 'nerd' or a 'Unix-based-system'
all I can think is: You just wait. In a couple of years. I'll be your IT. Then where will you be!

#23 2011-07-26 06:24:29

Awebb
The Singularity

crunchy wrote:

that would solve ALL of my problems with gnome3.

So pytyle2 automatically uninstalls Gnome3? That's great news.

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#24 2011-07-26 09:15:06

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Awebb wrote:

So pytyle2 automatically uninstalls Gnome3? That's great news.

cool

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2011-07-26 12:07:02

Gala
#! CrunchBanger

Pytyle2 is great but... it uses a LOT of memory. I don't remember exactly but it was really too much for me.
And Pytyle The First is just what I need. So that's fine !

Last edited by Gala (2011-07-26 12:07:33)

Board footer