SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#426 2012-01-04 02:25:27

Vansgo
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

lofijerm wrote:
If you know any lightweight music production programs definitely let me know. I would like to try them.

I get nice results with Traverso for recording, even with real-time over dubbing multi-trax - had to adjust config for latency - easy to use for basics plus advanced features-

I find that LMMS is a little more temperamental - running multiple synth/effect processes for real-time audio requires more CPU than available sometimes - However, I continue to use LMMS on an Acer netbook (multi-trax running at 20-30% CPU usage, if it starts to get heavier I break the workload into smaller chunks) and I like the challenges involved with producing results. I'm using #! Statler w/ a real-time kernel installed. Maybe the new CB image has some benefit for audio tweeks?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#427 2012-01-07 16:03:11

nanox2

Hello everyone. New #! -er here. Over the Christmas break I built a Linux Box out of PCV cutting boards from Walmart - (will upload pic's soon - if that is possible in this forum idk) it's a mini-itx MB with ATX power supply and 3.5 sata 3.0 lastly 5.5 bluray combo drive - box measures 11"w x 8"h x 17"d and is held together with 1/2" aluminum angle and rivets. MB is a VIA ve900 with nanox2 cpu and ve900 chrome9 IGP.
Ok after installing ah - windows 7 - then xp (new MB and driver installation nightmare!) I tried various Linux Distro's - #! being the second. Then after many tries with different Distro's it was back to #! - and that is where I'm at now. Everything works well with vesa driver, chrome9-openchrome do not work as of yet cuz the lastest drivers for vx900 are still on the chopping block, will have to wait for right drivers - maybe few months 2 year - idk. I did try to compile lastest src but ran into to many walls. The only thing that is not working at all is OpenGL stuff (no HW accel) but vlc plays great - avi's mkv's ( although more than one mkv at once does max out the dual core nano cpu but can play muliple avi's at same time -4- with cpu at 50%) - great for me. CrunchBang is #1 Dabian Distro IMO!   Thanks

P.S #! Desktop with Conky - Wbar - tint2 themes - Cairo-compmgr

Why pay BIG $$$ for something that's obtainable for little - or free?

#428 2012-01-08 15:48:37

bdbr

Back when I used Windows as my primary OS, I used bblean (bb4win fork, blackbox clone). While it worked brilliantly on XP, later versions broke it and I could never stand the bulk and bloat of the default environment. I switched to Ubuntu, because it worked OOTB and I was a novice. I didn't mind GNOME2 but when Unity was released I realised that I was no longer really the intended audience of Ubuntu, I didn't like the imposed limitations and I felt like trying something different.
I considered using Arch but I don't really have the time at the moment. #! OOTB has pretty much everything that I need and I don't really want to relinquish the stability of a Debian base.

#429 2012-01-08 15:57:21

patrickstein
#! Die Hard

I am back to #! because since it's birth it has been my Linux distro of choice. I can't stand KDE, or the direction that Gnome is taking so I am staying with Openbox, and the best Openbox is #! in my opinion. Plus Openbox makes things easier to find and get done to me.

#430 2012-01-08 19:36:16

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

patrickstein wrote:

I am back to #! because since it's birth it has been my Linux distro of choice. I can't stand KDE, or the direction that Gnome is taking so I am staying with Openbox, and the best Openbox is #! in my opinion. Plus Openbox makes things easier to find and get done to me.

Linux Mint is doing some interesting stuff with Gnome, but I'll stick to Xfce. Cinnamon might be worth checking out...
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?paged=2

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#431 2012-01-08 20:07:51

ZAP
#! Junkie

merelyjim wrote:

Linux Mint is doing some interesting stuff with Gnome, but I'll stick to Xfce. Cinnamon might be worth checking out...

I've been following that also, and it does look interesting. I'm not sure that Clem's going far enough for my taste, but I do appreciate that he's stripping out the cruft. I was getting along OK in GNOME Shell on LMDE for a while, but it really is notably slower than #!. Plus it kind of bugged me that most of what I did with extensions was disable or remove standard GS features (no hot spot, no "Applications" text, no accessibility icon, etc.). My ideal setup has a single panel with open windows, clock, and system tray. I don't need or want much more than that, so having a launcher, overview, etc. is just more distracting to me and a waste of RAM and CPU.

I used #! Xfce with Synapse quite happily before trying out GNOME Shell for a while. Now I'm back to Openbox with dmenu and that does the trick as well. The only issues that I've had lately have been hardware compatibility problems (can't read my SD card, microphone not working in Skype) - in terms of user interface, I'm perfectly happy with #!'s Openbox.

I'm actually going over to the dark side in a couple weeks (gulp!). My main laptop is dying, and I bought a new ASUS UX21 that I'm going to pick up after midnight the night that I arrive back in the US for a group retreat in the woods. I'm only going to have time to install what I need in Windows 7 before leaving early the next morning for the retreat (thank you, ninite), so I'll be Windows-only for at least that week (though the first thing that I'll do is resize the Windows partition so I have room to install Linux as well). I did some research and it might actually be a challenge to get this laptop to work properly with Linux right now, so I may end up using Windows for a while until some of the driver kinks are worked out. As a web developer, Windows does have some advantages for me (Adobe CS, better video editors, and native IE testing), but I'm not looking forward to having to deal with Window's bloat and proprietary software model again. I do have a soft spot for Notepad++, however.

Last edited by ZAP (2012-01-08 20:11:59)

#432 2012-01-08 20:13:26

patrickstein
#! Die Hard

merelyjim wrote:
patrickstein wrote:

I have been following the Linux Mint and their work with Gnome. I installed it and Cinnamon a few days back before I reinstalled #!, while it was nice. It just doesn't suit my needs nor wants. XFCE is nice but I tried it on this old laptop of mine and I found Openbox to be a bit more responsive on this VERY old piece of junk laptop.

When I get my desktop back I might give Linux Mint and Cinnamon another go, maybe... probably not. tongue

#433 2012-01-09 12:00:25

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

ZAP wrote:
merelyjim wrote:

I've been following that also, and it does look interesting. I'm not sure that Clem's going far enough for my taste, but I do appreciate that he's stripping out the cruft. I was getting along OK in GNOME Shell on LMDE for a while, but it really is notably slower than #!. Plus it kind of bugged me that most of what I did with extensions was disable or remove standard GS features (no hot spot, no "Applications" text, no accessibility icon, etc.). My ideal setup has a single panel with open windows, clock, and system tray. I don't need or want much more than that, so having a launcher, overview, etc. is just more distracting to me and a waste of RAM and CPU.

I used #! Xfce with Synapse quite happily before trying out GNOME Shell for a while. Now I'm back to Openbox with dmenu and that does the trick as well. The only issues that I've had lately have been hardware compatibility problems (can't read my SD card, microphone not working in Skype) - in terms of user interface, I'm perfectly happy with #!'s Openbox.

I'm actually going over to the dark side in a couple weeks (gulp!). My main laptop is dying, and I bought a new ASUS UX21 that I'm going to pick up after midnight the night that I arrive back in the US for a group retreat in the woods. I'm only going to have time to install what I need in Windows 7 before leaving early the next morning for the retreat (thank you, ninite), so I'll be Windows-only for at least that week (though the first thing that I'll do is resize the Windows partition so I have room to install Linux as well). I did some research and it might actually be a challenge to get this laptop to work properly with Linux right now, so I may end up using Windows for a while until some of the driver kinks are worked out. As a web developer, Windows does have some advantages for me (Adobe CS, better video editors, and native IE testing), but I'm not looking forward to having to deal with Window's bloat and proprietary software model again. I do have a soft spot for Notepad++, however.

Whenever I'm forced to use Windows, I have a flash-drive loaded with open-source Portable Apps [http://portableapps.com/] - having the same bookmarks in Firefox is always a good thing. And if I get really frustrated, KNOPPIX is on the flash-drive, too...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

#434 2012-01-09 12:03:13

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

patrickstein wrote:
merelyjim wrote:
patrickstein wrote:

I have been following the Linux Mint and their work with Gnome. I installed it and Cinnamon a few days back before I reinstalled #!, while it was nice. It just doesn't suit my needs nor wants. XFCE is nice but I tried it on this old laptop of mine and I found Openbox to be a bit more responsive on this VERY old piece of junk laptop.

When I get my desktop back I might give Linux Mint and Cinnamon another go, maybe... probably not. tongue

To each their own... For me, the problem with Openbox has always been that I don't have time to RTFM. Xfce just seems easier when I'm crunched for time.

#435 2012-01-09 14:14:18

nanox2

Update from Previous Post - Went to VIA Linux Portal and downloaded video sources from Ubuntu Distro 10.04 - after a few unresolved dependence conflicts got the source to compile and install - now running the xserver with the via-chrome9 driver and have noticed a 50% increase in video performance. The drivers are still only for 2D Acceleration but I think it wont be to long before the 3D source to be available, for now I am content. I must say this VIA board and the nanox2 - for the price - is outstanding! I might haveto build a system with the new nanox4 and install #! and see what happens. The ve900 which includes the nanox2 cpu was $89.00 - the complete build came to $270.00

#436 2012-01-09 15:40:03

pvsage
Internal Affairs

merelyjim wrote:

Whenever I'm forced to use Windows, I have a flash-drive loaded with open-source Portable Apps [http://portableapps.com/] - having the same bookmarks in Firefox is always a good thing. And if I get really frustrated, KNOPPIX is on the flash-drive, too...

Must be nice to work at a place where launching apps from removable media isn't blocked!  That's one reason I love my netbook+CrunchBang+wifi.

#437 2012-01-09 16:54:40

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

#!Crunchbang is totally compatible and interchangeable with Debian.

As a Debian 'stable' based distro #!Crunchbang is rock solid stable - always.

#!Crunchbang is the best Openbox 'experience' out there - anywhere - bar-none

#!Crunchbang is the distro that sets the standards against which all other distros should be judged.

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#438 2012-01-10 00:11:11

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

vrkalak wrote:

#!Crunchbang is the distro that sets the standards against which all other distros should be judged.

Well put, but one must branch out to see what else is out there. Otherwise, we might as well buy a Mac and all get Apple tattoos... tongue

#439 2012-01-10 00:14:51

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

pvsage wrote:
merelyjim wrote:

Must be nice to work at a place where launching apps from removable media isn't blocked!  That's one reason I love my netbook+CrunchBang+wifi.

Only on some of the machines... most have a "Fisher-Price" layer of Oracle software that cripples Windows machines to something less functional than a pocket calculator. My Android phone using 3G is faster than the wifi...

#440 2012-01-10 05:33:58

pvsage
Internal Affairs

When I get up in the morning, I press the power button on my netbook, put on my glasses (which I leave on top of my netbook), and log in, all without dropping a beat.  That's one reason I use CrunchBang - even on my netbook it's blindingly fast.

#441 2012-01-12 03:52:16

barkbombardier
#! Member

You....
The forums are populated by very nice and helpful people,for a person only six months into Linux it has been great! I could go on about the tech of #! but we all know that part.

It's is the forums,MAN!
Thank you

#442 2012-01-12 04:51:44

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Awww...on behalf of all the moderators, :blush:.

#443 2012-01-12 14:13:35

vic
#! by Default

@pvsage: You deserve it! No need to blush.

Time to move on!#

#444 2012-01-12 14:18:37

hinto
#! Windbag

I have always said...
When you choose a distro, you choose a repo, and a forum.
A good out of the box distro is nothing without a good repo (unless you like to build from scratch).  All are for naught if the forum isn't good.
-H

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#445 2012-01-12 15:10:20

vic
#! by Default

@^ and with #! you get a strike with all three of them!

Time to move on!#

#446 2012-01-16 21:09:38

nanox2

It's been about two weeks since I settled in with #! after several distros. To this point am very content with this flavor of Linux - I've been (and dont get mad) customizing the devil out of the distro - trying to break it editing files I shoudnt compiling things and adding this and that - so far #! has proven unbreakable. So after I fiddle with all the ins and outs to see what works with the hardware and software that I use, I will re-install and customize with what I have found that works - couldnt be happier with #! - this just proves that the more simple something is the stronger it may be - and it seems the more bloat there is the weaker a thing may be.  Happy #!

#447 2012-01-17 02:54:38

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

nanox2 wrote:

It's been about two weeks since I settled in with #! after several distros. To this point am very content with this flavor of Linux - I've been (and dont get mad) customizing the devil out of the distro - trying to break it editing files I shoudnt compiling things and adding this and that - so far #! has proven unbreakable. So after I fiddle with all the ins and outs to see what works with the hardware and software that I use, I will re-install and customize with what I have found that works - couldnt be happier with #! - this just proves that the more simple something is the stronger it may be - and it seems the more bloat there is the weaker a thing may be.  Happy #!

We approve of hacking/fiddling/whathaveyou... otherwise it's not really linux.

#448 2012-01-25 12:28:12

kri5
#! Die Hard

I've been distro hopping for the past year, I have virtually tried everything at some point from Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux MInt Bodhi Linux and many more but alas my old laptop is excactly that, OLD!  Although I liked the bling that came with many of the Ubuntu based distro's etc, I found my old laptop running increasingly slower.

And then came Unity and Gnome3...argh!!!

So i moved to #! looking for something that would run a little better and a little faster and give me back the option to customise and make my system what i want it to be.

And i haven't looked back since, well I tell a lie, I installed Gnome3 once just to see what it was like and regretted removing #! almost imediatly, so re-installed #!.

With the exception of printing wirelessly (curse you CUPS)  I have had no problems that I haven't overcome and #! has not failed to impress me.

Long live #! and keep up the good work, it's very much appreciated.

P.S. The forum ain't bad either. lol  Don't think I've ever posted as much on any other forum and I've virtually always had a welcome and helpful response.

Thanks Guys. big_smile

#! Waldorf - 64bit - Xfce

#449 2012-01-25 13:18:04

hinto
#! Windbag

kri5 wrote:

And then came Unity and Gnome3...argh!!!
Thanks Guys. big_smile

Same here...  I did install XFCE on statler, but now I feel at home with either Openbox or XFCE.
Thanks.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#450 2012-01-25 22:58:04

supremanade

I use #!crunchbang because it "meets form and function" (cheesy!)
Because it combines everything I consider important tongue it's really lightweight, comes just the bare essential apps and components that leaves deciding what I want up to me and does everything in a minimalistic manner, never by compromising functionality. And it's really customizable too! As cheesy and pretendous as it might sound, it just really has all I want and nothing that I don't. The End.

Board footer