SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#351 2011-08-15 06:50:57

scket
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#352 2011-09-10 00:06:58

wandere

#! is technically a quicker way of getting the debian setup that I like, and has proven very useful for laptops when I haven't had much time to work with. however, I will add that I have found the community very friendly and the forum layout is much better here than other linux forums.

#353 2011-09-20 13:36:59

Vegetarian Spelling Unit
#! Member

The main reason is because I'm too lazy to install Debian these days and set it up as I want. Crunchbang does all the hardwork by providing a functional desktop that is almost perfect for my needs and tastes. Thanks!

Edit: Wandere, are you my long lost twin?

Last edited by Vegetarian Spelling Unit (2011-09-20 13:38:44)

#354 2011-09-22 06:38:24

BWA

cos it boots faster than windows 7, and the community on here is very active and helpful which is useful as im still pretty new to linux based OSs. its been fantastic on my netbook so far

#355 2011-09-22 06:49:04

mikhou
#! CrunchBanger

The main reason is because I'm too lazy to install Debian these days and set it up as I want. Crunchbang does all the hardwork by providing a functional desktop that is almost perfect for my needs and tastes. Thanks!
Edit: Wandere, are you my long lost twin?

I gotta agree with Vegetarian Spelling Unit.  I've taken the time to setup Debian XFCE before, and I loved it.  But after doing so, I realized that #! has almost the exact same setup as my "custom" Debian XFCE setup.  When I recently bought a new laptop, I thought to myself, "Why waste the time setting up Debian when #! has already done it for me!"

mikhou

Last edited by mikhou (2011-09-22 06:49:41)

#356 2011-09-23 20:17:58

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^ Same here, with the exception of having to fight with the damn wifi chipset. #! just does everything that need a machine to do... wink

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#357 2011-10-05 08:19:45

duderocks
#! CrunchBanger

I was distro hopping like crazy (Ubuntu, Mint, LMDE, Fedora, even dabbled with Arch on a VM) before I discovered #!. Downloaded the Openbox version and so far I love it. Customized it and now it's a very fast, very pretty minimalistic OS. And it works too because of the Debian base (which is by experience, really great)

#358 2011-10-05 08:37:55

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

^ Welcome to #! @duderocks. You found your final distro. smile

#359 2011-10-05 09:23:35

duderocks
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks. I've actually been only using Linux for a few months. I came from Windows 7 and trust me, #! really exceeded my expectations. Only 100 or so MB at startup (which is already pretty low for me), and I've got everything I need right here.

#360 2011-10-08 13:40:26

duderocks
#! CrunchBanger

Can I just say that I tried ArchBang a while ago, then after finding how hard it is to get it to look and feel just right, I ran back screaming to mommy/daddy #!'s open arms? lol THAT is how perfect it is.

#361 2011-10-10 07:48:34

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^ Tried ArchBang and got the same over-all impression...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

#362 2011-10-10 12:20:57

hochrappenkopf
#! CrunchBanger

Hi folks,

after playing around with some other Distributions like Fedora 14, Scientific Linux, CentOS, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Desktop Environments top of Debian like KDE, GNOME, LXDE I came back to #! - it's simply great.

KISS like: Keep IT smart and simple.

Simple the desktop and smart the stuff behind it.

I like it!

Have a nice day!

Bye

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" [Walt Disney]

#363 2011-10-11 21:00:13

mapkino

Hi Crunchbangers.
I've spent the last weekend to set my #! (Xfce),
and now it's simply perfect.

The best distro I've ever tried.

Thumbs up !

#364 2011-10-13 16:16:21

lizzy

Hi, all you Crunchbangers big_smile
I've been desperately trying out most Distros (SuSe, Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, MeeGo, JoliOS, aso), but my Netbook would'nt work properly. Wifi, sound and general performance were the biggest issues. So i remembered Crunchbang which i used on my Laptop 2 years ago and decided to give it a try. Well..... my Netbook is flying, no noise, no overheating, no crashes, wifi and sound are working....SIMPLY BRILLIANT big_smile

#365 2011-10-13 16:30:35

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

^Congrats mate!  What kind of netbook?

#366 2011-10-13 16:44:08

lizzy

sunfizz98 wrote:

Asus Eee PC 1001PX ... came with Win XP preinstalled (threw XP out right away wink  ) The guy at the shop thought i'm a nutter... like :"Girls don't do Linux!! " LOL

#367 2011-10-13 17:02:41

Dyzphagia
#! CrunchBanger

I used Crunchbang because it provides an easy to use, lightweight alternative to a lot of other distros that are user friendly as well. Then again, I'm still a bit of a newbie to Linux, but I find that this is the best distribution to use for my pc. My pc isn't completely sluggish, but if I can use something that's lightweight, works for me and looks good, why not?

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Cyber Steve Jobs

#368 2011-10-13 17:18:30

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

lizzy wrote:
sunfizz98 wrote:

Asus Eee PC 1001PX ... came with Win XP preinstalled (threw XP out right away wink  ) The guy at the shop thought i'm a nutter... like :"Girls don't do Linux!! " LOL

Obviously, the guy at the shop has been hanging out with the wrong girls. cool
Did he also imply that you were bad at math, or any other gender-based stereotypes?

#369 2011-10-13 17:30:25

lizzy

merelyjim wrote:
lizzy wrote:
sunfizz98 wrote:

Obviously, the guy at the shop has been hanging out with the wrong girls. cool
Did he also imply that you were bad at math, or any other gender-based stereotypes?

LOL He simply asked me why on earth i would remove WinXP (cause it works so well, blablabla....warranty, blablabla...Linux sucks, blablabla, girls don't do well with PC's...blablabla) Thank lord he didn't ask about my math skills lol cause i really s*** at that roll

#370 2011-10-14 05:29:53

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

lizzy wrote:

.......The guy at the shop thought i'm a nutter... like :"Girls don't do Linux!! " LOL

I have a client who is a 92 year old lady running Linux. She ditched her XP 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. I have another 80+ grandmother type client who recently had to use windows for a couple of days (her Linux Laptop had a ram failure) and after using Vista she asked me "why would anyone use Windows by choice?" I wonder what that shop guy would think about that. lol

Linux girls are cool and Linux Grannies ROCK!

Last edited by Anaconda (2011-10-14 05:31:01)

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#371 2011-10-16 06:21:18

duderocks
#! CrunchBanger

YAY! More Linux girls on board! big_smile

My Crunchy is still standing after many weeks. I can comfortably run NetBeans, Chromium, GIMP, Inkscape and Bluefish with around 2GB (out of 4GB) to spare.

#372 2011-10-23 20:26:40

Nergal
#! Member

As I said in my introduction, I've never had Linux as my main OS excepting for some brief times.

I started working with computers in a proprietary build (hardware and software) to control telephone calls in analog switchers that used Unix but I didn't even knew at the time that that was Unix... hmm

Then I got my first PC, and it came with MS-DOS, the path leaded to using windows and I went with the sheeps. wink

Some years ago, around 15, I met Linux and tried Red-Hat and SUSE for some time, I loved the time spent trying to configure everything by hand but was very frustrating because my knowledge was scarce at best; the fact that I had to look everything on the internet and learn by myself was a bit hard but the control that I could have attracted me to it.

Anyhow, my work and laziness lead me back to windows until recently when I got my Asus eeePC 1015 PEM with windows7 (I couldn't find one with Linux) and I started looking and trying several live distros on it.

Then I found CrunchBang and got in-love with its simplicity, speed and (some word that means that it has everything I need and not more)... and it has a black, dark theme to it that I love... big_smile

It's early, I'm only using CruchBang for 2 or 3 days but Its been amazing, the !# community is great also, very active it seems.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein

#373 2011-10-23 23:38:23

dubois
The Old Codger

CrunchBang , or a Debian netinst and the 1015PEM are a great combination!  I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine which I got in June.  I added 2GB RAM immediately after wiping the windows, which, if you can afford, I highly recommend over the default 1GB.  You don't have to shop at this outlet, I didn't, but this  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … CatId=4153  is what you need to get should you choose.  Have fun.  See you around the forums.  wink

EDIT -- That by itself made the difference between a good netbook and a great netbook.  big_smile

Last edited by dubois (2011-10-23 23:54:38)

#374 2011-10-25 05:02:10

Nergal
#! Member

I was thiking about doing that, I'm trying to get the right memory localy, thanks for the link, that helps a lot.

[edit] I got the 2GB memory big_smile [/edit]

[edit2] removed some questions that were off-topic [/edit2]

Last edited by Nergal (2011-10-26 04:17:12)

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein

Be excellent to each other!

#375 2011-11-02 01:12:23

cassielfsw

The first computer I ever had was a Tandy 1000 running MS-DOS, when I was a little kid. (Like, pre-kindergarten.) I've used Windows 3.11, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, and 7.

When I was in college (2002-06) I caught the Linux bug and installed Mandrake as a dual boot on my computer with XP. (This was right before they changed their name to Mandriva. To this day I think Mandriva is a stupid name.) Maybe a year or so afterwards I tried to switch to Ubuntu but had problems with my screen resolution so went back to Mandriva until Dapper Drake, which fixed the issue I was having. I used Ubuntu for probably about 4 years. Later I switched to Xubuntu.

A couple of years ago I bought an eeepc 1000H. I wiped the drive and installed Xubuntu on it the second I got it home. I started experimenting with Openbox pretty soon afterward because xfce has just enough lag on this hardware to drive me up the friggin' wall. tongue

At some point I got tired of Ubuntu and decided to head upstream to Debian. Since I was already using and enjoying Openbox and #! had just switched to Debian sources, I installed #!. Upgraded to testing and ran that until a few months ago when I had a fit of masochism and installed Arch. Now I'm back. smile

I like #! because...

*It uses Debian sources. Apt/Synaptic is a much better tool than urpmi (Mandriva's package management). At least, better than urpmi was -- I haven't used an rpm distro in several years at this point. I also like it better than pacman, mostly because it comes with a GUI tool and I don't have to hunt around for some cobbled-together community package.

*I have the option of a rolling release if I decide to do that again. I've left this install on stable because avoiding breakage is more important to me right now than having the newest, shiniest packages.

*It's lightweight, comes with only what I need and set up essentially the way I like it, aside from some cosmetic changes.

*The welcome script! I must have either missed it or don't remember it from the last time I installed #!, but it was very nice to have flash, java, etc set up for me rather than having to hunt them down in the repos for myself, while also having the choice to only install the things I was actually interested in.

*It's got a cool name. Nothing stupid like "Mandriva". That's important, you know. wink

In general, #! strikes the right balance between "it just works and I don't have to mess with it" and "but I can mess with it if I want to."

Board footer