SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-10 22:21:11

bobobex
The Better Half

Removal of "delete post/topic" privileges

Dear forum users,

Due to some unfortunate, recent events it has been necessary to remove members' "delete" privileges for posts and topics.  A former member has deleted in excess of 190+ posts/topics in the space of a day, taking with it some valuable contributions made by other members.  We feel this is unfair to the forum users who have willingly contributed to the community and put thought, time and effort in to constructing their posts.

From now, if you require a topic or post of yours to be deleted, please make a request to any of the moderators via a PM, and include your reasons for deletion.  Your request will then be considered.

We apologise that we have had to implement this measure but hope that you realise our reasons for doing so.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Becky

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-08-10 22:28:08

Awebb
The Singularity

Re: Removal of "delete post/topic" privileges

Is it enough to report the post using the built in feature?

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#3 2009-08-10 22:34:23

bobobex
The Better Half

Hi awebb - the REPORT facility remains for members to report any posts/topics that may contain questionable content.  The removal of the DELETE privilege is to stop members maliciously destroying their own posts/topics and the contributing posts of other members contained within a topic they have created.

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

#4 2009-08-10 22:38:33

sirphobos
#! Member

Thank you for banning who I think you banned.

As a forum administrator myself, nothing sucks worse than losing valuable data. It is understandable that this change had to be made.

#5 2009-08-10 23:09:38

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Thanks to the moderators for getting things back under control around here... smile

Last edited by snowpine (2009-08-11 13:58:10)

/hugged

#6 2009-08-10 23:37:59

astrocisco
#! Member

Hello all!
What a pity for the deleted topics!I don't understand why.
Don't worry Trouble'n'strife. Personally I could live without the "delete" privileges for posts and topics.

Trouble'n'strife said:

From now, if you require a topic or post of yours to be deleted, please make a request to any of the moderators via a PM, and include your reasons for deletion.  Your request will then be considered.

It's a good decision .

A+ Francis.

#7 2009-08-11 02:42:00

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

If a person wants to "delete" his own material, he can simply edit his writings.  But he shouldn't have
ability to delete posts, at least not with approval.  If you want to keep something, lock it.

Sheng-Chieh

#8 2009-08-11 03:12:12

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

no need to apologise for someone else's stupid actions.. i just think that in such a community, it's always sad when you have to ban' someone... hmm
anyway, our crunchy-world is under the control of very good moderators. all of you made such a good work that it's always a pleasure to look around here smile
i remember the first (and unique) time *omns PM me about a "sexy" screenshot.. it was polite, friendly... but firm... and he was right wink
so keep the good job, and have a nice day wink

#9 2009-08-11 03:14:22

slipshot
#! CrunchBanger

I find this interesting. Just the fact that someone would do this is beyond my reasoning and in all honesty kinda makes me mad. It go's against everything Linux and open source stands for. In my mind nothing is more important than community and sharing what you know just so it may help someone else. I am i high believer in the community and find the #!Crunchbang community to be one of the best out there.

#10 2009-08-11 03:43:24

stopie
#! Die Hard

1) Thank you. The decrease in spam has already made my existence more enjoyable.  lol

2) Glad I was able to consolidate all of my artwork into one thread and delete all of the old threads before this happened big_smile

3) Glad to see Lady Boss around on the forums more smile

#11 2009-08-11 04:32:59

Toolz
#! Die Hard

stopie wrote:

1) Thank you. The decrease in spam has already made my existence more enjoyable.  lol

+1 to that!

#12 2009-08-11 15:11:25

kBang
#! Die Hard

Trouble'n'strife wrote:

Dear forum users,

Due to some unfortunate, recent events it has been necessary to remove members' "delete" privileges for posts and topics.  A former member has deleted in excess of 190+ posts/topics in the space of a day, taking with it some valuable contributions made by other members.  We feel this is unfair to the forum users who have willingly contributed to the community and put thought, time and effort in to constructing their posts.

We apologise that we have had to implement this measure but hope that you realise our reasons for doing so.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Becky

While I enjoyed the ability to delete a post of mine (mainly once it became irrelevant, as in links to 24 hour netbook deals after they expired big_smile ) , I can comply understand that such abuse as you mentioned needed to be dealt with in some manner.  I think I can deal with simply voiding my text in lieu of potential deleting an entire thread.

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

#13 2009-08-11 15:25:22

saturn9

Sorry for the loss of data but the banning was a long time coming. At least the forum is a more pleasant place to be.

#14 2009-08-21 04:48:07

bowtiebandito

saturn9 wrote:

Sorry for the loss of data but the banning was a long time coming. At least the forum is a more pleasant place to be.

Right about that, after *that person* joined, I stopped checking the forum.

#15 2009-12-13 21:59:10

Ronin
#! Member

The only experience I've had with something like this in the past is when someone deletes one vital post of his/her own, which just happens to be the one which makes the thread make sense from there on out.

The sheer stupidity of the act you describe borders on complete insanity.

Thanks for weathering these storms for us.

Freedom to choose is the most basic of all rights.

#16 2010-12-27 01:48:10

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

this whole thing i find to be a comfortting assurance... that you peeps seem to genuinely value the contributions made.

on another forum a while back, i had put in almost 8 years of my life, and over 8,000 (mostly very long) posts, and then started getting censorred and eventually banned from a misunderstanding and a conpiracy (mods who originally banned me then themselves got banned).   was not pleasant.   the remaining post count there continues to drop to this day.

so anyways, it's just good to know that the content we contribute here is valued enough to take such steps.

#17 2010-12-27 04:06:43

anonymous
The Mystery Member

@Digit - Please don't bump year old threads.

/closed

Board footer