SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-09 08:26:51

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

Thunar and Fuse

So I have been having the exact same issue with Thunar as the user from this post:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9659

The solution is to install and ensure that a variant of FUSE is running. Well according to to my apt - it is already installed (fuse that is, not the version listed in that post). When I try to install the exact version I get an error that it's not in the repo's, which makes sense.

So what do I need to do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-08-11 06:23:09

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Thunar and Fuse

Anyone? I like Thunar, I'd just like to be able to use it with my NAS.

The issue I can browse and copy / paste just fine, as well as delete. But let's say I open a text file from the NAS without copying it to my local PC, then it opens as blank. If I copy it over, the contents are there. This is the only file manager I've experienced this issue with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 2015-08-11 11:40:36

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Do you also have GVFS and GVFS-Fuse installed?  Both were needed for me to be able to work on the network mounts in Thunar.

#4 2015-08-12 07:46:15

ohnonot
...again

you have to look at the optional dependencies (it's called "install-recommends" in debian) of both thunar and thunar's optional dependencies.

i once had a similar problem and had to install all sorts of gvfs stuff, and its optional dependencies (aka install-recommends).

#5 2015-08-12 10:44:14

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

I gave up on this.

I install the optional dependencies, and gvfs + gvfs-fuse , etc. Googled, etc. Thunar now refuses to even see my network.

So...

sudo apt-get purge thunar

sudo apt-get install nautilus

Oh look, it works. Too bad, I much preferred thunars interface. But I will take function over form for this.

#6 2015-08-16 23:08:02

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

Well after a bit of google-fu I finally wrangled Nautilus into behaving how I want. Which is to have a location bar. The nautilus guys hid the setting for this option. You can toggle on a per windows basis by hitting CTRL+L. But if you close the window, it goes away. The explanation was that it makes for a cleaner file manager. Whatever. It makes for a less useful file manager.

So check this out.

2015_08_16_16_02_02_scrot.jpg

Replace thunar with Nautilus
    To permanently enable the path instead of buttons is to use dconf, a "low-level key/value database designed for storing desktop environment settings". Install dconf-tools and launch dconf-editor:

$ sudo apt-get install --yes dconf-tools
    $ dconf-editor

Then navigate to org > gnome > nautilus > preferences and check
    always-use-location-entry.

Why all the hassle? Because I need to constantly connect to Samba shares and Thunar sucks at doing so. Otherwise I prefer it's interface. SpaceFM and others require extensive plugins and don't work 100%. I've tried rox, xfe and a few others. I don't understand why this is so difficult. But anyway, there you go. I hope someone finds it useful.

Board footer