SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-08-29 20:22:00

ostrołęk
CB Member

Re: Volti mixer has a severe bug, please drop it

pavucontrol.jpg
Volumeicon White Gnome

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2015-08-30 12:24:00

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

a. It appears that annoying volumeicon-alsa notifications could be disabled at compile time by skipping --enable-notify switch.
https://github.com/Maato/volumeicon
edit: but that disables all the notifications ... and the new version has a gtk3 interface, so that would be 2 steps back (so i guess take the source from debian).

b. Configure notification-daemon to ignore certain things, example ignore for dunst would be
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bront … st/dunstrc (check the ignore section at the bottom) < this is 85% working as it should (the volume percentage is kinda lagged for some reason), oh well.

scrot
volumeicon.jpg

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-08-30 15:26:53)

#28 2015-08-30 15:35:57

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Isn't there any other volume icon that fullfeels our needs? I mean, last time I checked there were quite a few. That was the AUR, though. I have written one myself in C, perhaps I can port it to python and add some features. My version is really basic and only provides volume up/down on scrolling and a popover showing the volume level as a percentage.

But I guess we shouldn't let BunsenLabs wait on such minor nitpicks. If we can work around volumeicon-alsa, we should smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#29 2015-08-30 16:00:45

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Unia wrote:

My version is really basic and only provides volume up/down on scrolling and a popover showing the volume level as a percentage.

thats what it should do, i guess +
- link to user configured external mixer
- ability to select an icon
- be cute and faster than volumeicon-alsa, volti, whatever
- perhaps on-rollover it should probably show the device/channel it drives and volume level, instead of just level.
- perhaps on mouse-roll it should illustrate the state with an actual slider, instead of textual percents.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-08-30 16:05:10)

#30 2015-08-30 16:03:35

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ Mine only controls the master channel, so showing which channel it operates on is unnecessary big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#31 2015-08-30 16:09:08

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

@Unia: Sounds good enough, how can 'we' test?

#32 2015-08-30 22:25:12

hhh
Cityspeak

pvsage set us down a path where we weren't going to include any precompiled binaries in BunsenLabs by default other than our own custom scripts, themes and icons and we've decided, for better or for worse, that it's a good policy. So we're not going to precompile volumeicon and include it...

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39345

We're already bending this rule by offering our backports repository, and users are free to remove/install any dang thing they like, but we're not having 3rd-party or backported apps by default. If we were, xfce4-power-manager's backport would be there in a heartbeat. The reason being that if any borkage is going to happen in BunsenLabs due to the package list, it's going to be Debian's fault.

A python scripted volume app that used Faenza icons would be perfectly acceptable, I think. I haven't found any other volume applets in jessie, so right now volti is still our volume applet. That double notification is too fugly to allow it.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#33 2015-08-30 22:41:33

ostrołęk
CB Member

#34 2015-08-30 23:10:53

hhh
Cityspeak

What part of "we're looking for a workaround to the double-notification bug in volumeicon-alsa" do you not understand?

#35 2015-08-31 01:29:00

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39345
The reason being that if any borkage is going to happen in BunsenLabs due to the package list, it's going to be Debian's fault.

pvsage also referred to DOS attacks on the #! server, which he says were because of a vulnerability caused by a recompiled Tint2. I wasn't a mod at the time and know nothing about the mechanism of the attack, unfortunately.

BTW, bronto was the first to mention the notifications issue with volumeicon-alsa, though I didn't pay much attention at the time:

brontosaurusrex wrote:

...volumeicon-alsa
cons:
- alsamixer run in urxvt is keyboard only as it seems, one would have to use ctrl+c or esc to exit the window (if urxvt is set to not use decorations ...).
- silly notifications when using scroll-wheel on the icon
- forced positioning will probably not work for bunsen (-geometry 100x30-20-50), as it is against top/bottom tint2 gui selector logic.

If we continue to use Volti, is the main problem the mixer? Can we just set it to use an external mixer (ie pavucontrol) in the default user config? Would that solve everything? It's such an easy fix, if so.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#36 2015-08-31 03:14:14

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

johnraff wrote:

If we continue to use Volti, is the main problem the mixer? Can we just set it to use an external mixer (ie pavucontrol) in the default user config? Would that solve everything? It's such an easy fix, if so.

That seems like a good fix (Did some quick testing and can't find anything out of place or ugly, using arc theme at the moment).
edit: Actually pavucontrol does not seem to remember the last active tab, but that might be configured someplace.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-08-31 03:26:48)

#37 2015-08-31 11:22:08

hhh
Cityspeak

Actually pavucontrol does not seem to remember the last active tab, but that might be configured someplace.

Yeah, it always opens on the Playback tab. man pavucontrol shows that it doesn't accept any options and doesn't have a config file.

I've found pasystray which is specifically to control pulseaudio. It lets you scroll over the applet for volume control and clicking it brings up a menu. But it breaks the behavior users are used to from pnmixer where clicking the icon brings up a slider to control volume.

Gah, frustrating.

#38 2015-09-01 05:51:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Just tried pasystray - it has many obscure-looking settings available, and does control the volume via the scrollwheel (but no other way, unfortunately for those without good scrolling on their touchpad).

The main drawback for me was that it was invisible. There are no preferences available in that complex menu to change the icon theme, and changing the icon theme in lxappearance didn't help either. Oddly, middle-click to mute and an icon appears. That behaviour seems familiar actually. Didn't volti or volumeicon do that too?

Anyway, not over-thrilled.

John
--------------------

#39 2015-09-01 15:15:21

hhh
Cityspeak

pasystray uses the user's icon theme. The reason changing the icon theme didn't do anything is that, from what I can tell, tint2 doesn't apply the change until you logour/login (restarting tint2 via the menu didn't do anything).

For some reason, Faenza-Dark and Faenza-Dark-Bunsen have black status icons for the sizes 16, 22 and 24. I could hack that easily so the icon would be visible, but...

Anyway, not over-thrilled.

Ditto. volti with pavucontrol set as it's mixer is still our best bet at this point. Swapping volti with your applet of choice is simple enough.

#40 2015-09-01 17:47:17

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

1. volti with pavucontrol set as it's mixer is still our best bet at this point.

2. Swapping volti with your applet of choice is simple enough.

+1000x2

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#41 2015-09-01 18:26:44

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:

@Unia: Sounds good enough, how can 'we' test?

Look here.

It's C though, so it will have to be compiled to be used. Therefore, it's not viable to use in standard BunsenLabs. It's also lacking some features to do so, I would say.

Oh, and it's alsa-only. No pulse.

#42 2015-09-02 01:54:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

volti with pavucontrol set as it's mixer is still our best bet at this point.

Sounds good. I'll edit the default config file and we're done. smile

John
--------------------

#43 2015-09-02 20:43:03

ostrołęk
CB Member

What's wrong with alsa, pulseaudio, pavucontrol & volumeicon?  Screenshot in #26
They work together quite well.

#44 2015-09-02 20:50:26

hhh
Cityspeak

ostrolk wrote:

What's wrong with alsa, pulseaudio, pavucontrol & volumeicon?  Screenshot in #26

hhh wrote:

What part of "we're looking for a workaround to the double-notification bug in volumeicon-alsa" do you not understand?

I repeat... there is a bug in volumeicon. The bug is if you mouse-scroll over the volumeicon applet, two (2) notifications appear showing the volume change.

Got it now? Comprende? Verstehen sie? Czy rozumiesz?

#45 2015-09-02 21:06:15

ostrołęk
CB Member

hhh wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

hhh wrote:

I repeat... there is a bug in volumeicon. The bug is if you mouse-scroll over the volumeicon applet, two (2) notifications appear showing the volume change.

Got it now? Comprende? Verstehen sie? Czy rozumiesz?

Bardzo dobrze rozumiem. Nie mam żadnych problemów z przewijaniem nad volumeicon.

I don't have any problems with scrolling over volumeicon. Have a look.
Volume_Icon_Scrolling.jpg

#46 2015-09-02 21:23:47

hhh
Cityspeak

Good for you! Unfortunately, I have no idea what system your using. That's definitely not xfce4-notifyd, there's no setting for having notifications in the center of the screen.

If you'd care to share, what OS are you using? What version of volumeicon? What's your output for...

apt-cache policy xfce4-notifyd

#47 2015-09-02 22:06:08

ostrołęk
CB Member

hhh wrote:

Good for you! Unfortunately, I have no idea what system your using. That's definitely not xfce4-notifyd, there's no setting for having notifications in the center of the screen.

If you'd care to share, what OS are you using? What version of volumeicon? What's your output for...

apt-cache policy xfce4-notifyd
xfce4-notifyd:
  Installed: 0.2.4-3
  Candidate: 0.2.4-3
  Version table:
 *** 0.2.4-3 0
        500 http://ftp.pl.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Its a jessie netinstall with some crunchbang/bunsenlab scripts. Volume icon version 0.5.1
I have no  idea how the notification came in the middle, but it is nice that way.

#48 2015-09-03 02:16:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Volumeicon-alsa on Jessie is version 0.4.6-2.1. On Sid it's 0.4.6-2.2

John
--------------------

#49 2015-09-03 02:56:52

hhh
Cityspeak

Right, so ostrolk is using the version from GitHub. As I explained earlier in this thread, we won't be installing 3rd-party binaries in the ISO by default. This can go in a "Things to do after installing BunsenLabs Hydrogen" HowTo, though, which we'll draw up after the "official" ISO gets released.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#50 2015-09-03 07:15:18

ostrołęk
CB Member

hhh wrote:

Right, so ostrolk is using the version from GitHub. As I explained earlier in this thread, we won't be installing 3rd-party binaries in the ISO by default. This can go in a "Things to do after installing BunsenLabs Hydrogen" HowTo, though, which we'll draw up after the "official" ISO gets released.

Well, BunsenLabs also started in GitHub, and the 'bunsen-updates' come through GitHub, so why not take other people's updates from GitHub?

PS: About the "official" ISO, if your scripts are good enough, maybe it is time to release the Official!

Last edited by ostrołęk (2015-09-03 07:21:08)

Board footer