SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-17 04:55:56

hhh
Cityspeak

BL Hydrogen a2 bugs

If you think you have one or a fix for a bug, post it here.

I have a couple, I'd like to know if other's can reproduce.

~ lxappearrance doesn't theme thunar unless thunar's open when you apply the theme (or you logout)

~ I've commented out synclient's vertical scroll in Openbox autostart but I still have touchpad scrolling (which I hate)

I've seen the first issue using both the netinstall-script and the 32 bit ISO, the second on the ISO.

Thanks!

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-07-17 05:40:36

mr_delphi

Re: BL Hydrogen a2 bugs

User login settings (this is supposed to open two configuration files with bl editor): Geany is able to open two files at the same time. Leafpad seems to only open the first file.

Dropbox: My system got stuck while installing dropbox using the menu (the script dies, tried a few times). Using htop, I figured that it stuck at installing pygme. I installed pygame manually. Then it installs fine.

One thing that really bothers me (and I guess many crunchbangers are perfectionists? why no one is complaining -- i understand it is easy to change myself though) is that in the menu, capitalizing rule is inconsistent, you have "Openbox guide" together with "Openbox Guide", and "tint2 Documentation" together with "tint2 forum thread". It is just not consistent. Can we either cap everything or cap nothing?

Finally, welcome script cannot install meta-packages.

#3 2015-07-17 06:36:22

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

hhh wrote:

~ I've commented out synclient's vertical scroll in Openbox autostart but I still have touchpad scrolling (which I hate)

Rather than just commenting it out, set it explicitly:

synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=0
synclient VertEdgeScroll=0

It could be that the behaviour you dislike is the default setting -- use `synclient` with no arguments to check.

I prefer setting up the touchpad with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf (or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf, or /etc/X11/xorg.conf, etc...):

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
	Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "off"
	Option "VertEdgeScroll" "off"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
EndSection

This method applies across all users and all different window managers (if you use any others).

#4 2015-07-17 08:22:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

~ lxappearrance doesn't theme thunar unless thunar's open when you apply the theme (or you logout)

Perhaps because Thunar is running as a daemon. Try 'killall thunar' and re-open a Thunar window. It might save you a logout.

mr_delphi wrote:

User login settings (this is supposed to open two configuration files with bl editor): Geany is able to open two files at the same time. Leafpad seems to only open the first file.

This is correct. Leafpad will only take one argument. Replace Leafpad with Geany, or persuade hhh to put Geany on the .iso.

Dropbox: My system got stuck while installing dropbox using the menu (the script dies, tried a few times). Using htop, I figured that it stuck at installing pygme. I installed pygame manually. Then it installs fine.

I'll have another look at the dropbox script. (It worked when I tested it.) I'm not sure what pygame is doing in there to be honest.

One thing that really bothers me (and I guess many crunchbangers are perfectionists? why no one is complaining -- i understand it is easy to change myself though) is that in the menu, capitalizing rule is inconsistent

Agreed. There are lots of corners like this that need tidying up. We'll get to it eventually.

Correct. The meta-packages are not in the regular Debian repositories - you need to add the repositories that twoion made recently: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39993 This will be fixed in future verssions of the .iso. (The netinstall script gets round it by making a local repository, but the price in disk space is not insignificant.)

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I prefer setting up the touchpad with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf (or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf, or /etc/X11/xorg.conf, etc...)

I like this idea.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#5 2015-07-17 16:18:30

damo
#! gimpbanger

mr_delphi wrote:

One thing that really bothers me (and I guess many crunchbangers are perfectionists? why no one is complaining -- i understand it is easy to change myself though) is that in the menu, capitalizing rule is inconsistent, you have "Openbox guide" together with "Openbox Guide", and "tint2 Documentation" together with "tint2 forum thread". It is just not consistent. Can we either cap everything or cap nothing?....

Menu capitalization has now been made consistent (unless I've missed some! :8 )

Thanks for the catch smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#6 2015-07-17 16:43:21

hhh
Cityspeak

johnraff wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I prefer setting up the touchpad with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf (or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf, or /etc/X11/xorg.conf, etc...)

I like this idea.

+1. Doing this will also enable touchpad actions for the login screen.

#7 2015-07-17 16:45:21

hhh
Cityspeak

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
hhh wrote:

Rather than just commenting it out, set it explicitly:

synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=0
synclient VertEdgeScroll=0

Bingo, thanks!

@johnraff, thanks! pkill thunar works too (or just
have thunar open when you apply lxappearance).

Last edited by hhh (2015-07-17 16:46:34)

#8 2015-07-18 01:06:18

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

hhh, Want to say thank you again. I always connect via lan so can't speak to WifI problems, aside from a little glitch with the start up script... Everything is awesome!

A generic question though. Why does a 32bit system on my 64bit machine, always seem to run... More lean (for lack of a better term)?

Peace

#9 2015-07-18 03:39:16

hhh
Cityspeak

If you mean that 64 bit seems to use more RAM at idle, I think it's just that it utilizes more at all times and probably ends up being more efficient because of it.

Maybe one of the gurus will shed more light.

#10 2015-07-18 05:49:27

SanderN
Banned

johnraff wrote:
mr_delphi wrote:

One thing that really bothers me (and I guess many crunchbangers are perfectionists? why no one is complaining -- i understand it is easy to change myself though) is that in the menu, capitalizing rule is inconsistent

Agreed. There are lots of corners like this that need tidying up. We'll get to it eventually.

Correct. The meta-packages are not in the regular Debian repositories ...

This is true. In the old #!, the meta packages were in #! repos, not in Debian repos. I am a newcomer, one of those few guests, who don't usually register. I have noted that most newcomers are banned for asking questions or suggesting something. The question; bl-welcome a neccessity, or just a gimmick?

Last edited by SanderN (2015-07-18 05:54:33)

#11 2015-07-18 06:07:02

hhh
Cityspeak

SanderN wrote:

bl-welcome a neccessity, or just a gimmick?

It's not a necessity. It's not supposed to be a gimmick, though it is a holdover from #! It's a way to decide up front what bloat you need to add, and it's easy for new users.

#12 2015-07-18 06:46:58

SanderN
Banned

hhh wrote:
SanderN wrote:

bl-welcome a neccessity, or just a gimmick?

It's not a necessity. It's not supposed to be a gimmick, though it is a holdover from #! It's a way to decide up front what bloat you need to add, and it's easy for new users.

But, it doesn't install some apps at all, as there are no meta-packages. Then again, do you really need meta-packages to install the freely available in Debian repos apps?

This bl-welcome goes to many links, and one of them would have a bug and the whole process stops. bl-welcome>bl-include>some-pipemenu>some meta-package etc> finally to apt-get install. Is that needed?

#13 2015-07-18 08:52:04

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

SanderN wrote:

I have noted that most newcomers are banned for asking questions or suggesting something.

Only "newcomers" who are sockpuppets for previously banned users *cough*Monara*cough* who have proven themselves to be recidivistic trolls suffer this fate wink

#14 2015-07-18 08:56:14

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

lol

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#15 2015-07-22 08:47:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

mr_delphi wrote:

python-gpgme is the package. The script puts up a confirmation popup then asks for a password. On a netinstall version everything worked fine but just now on an iso install I got a warning that python-gpgme had failed to install. This needs more work...

John
--------------------

#16 2015-07-23 19:10:03

kratos

Hello Everyone, a few tings I came across, they are listed below:

1: Volti will not open the mixer interface from the right click menu >> installed volume icon
2: Volume icon is set to auto start but does not do so on occasion 90% of the time has to be manually started
3: Mixer does not switch output to headphones automatically has to be manually configured every time
4: Windows take some time to close ~1 sec. after they are closed, when I close the windows the window decoration disappears but the window contents are displayed for the next ~1 sec. I have Cairo-compmgr installed >> believe that this might have to do with Cairo .. how do I switch back to compton if I so desire .. I purged the thing before installing Cairo (if you purge compton it also purges the bl-pipemenus automatically !?!?!?! didn't know compton was a metapackage tied to the bl-pipemenus)
5: obmenu does not display the "execute" commands of the menu item .. have to go to the menu.xml to edit menus

These are the bugs .. I have noticed thus far.

Last edited by kratos (2015-07-23 19:19:32)

#17 2015-07-23 19:47:07

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

kratos wrote:

1: Volti will not open the mixer interface from the right click menu >> installed volume icon

Will it show the mixer if you right-click on the volti icon and select "Show Mixer"?

If not, please post the content of ~/.config/volti/config

kratos wrote:

2: Volume icon is set to auto start but does not do so on occasion 90% of the time has to be manually started

Reset the openbox autostart file to the default -- see my answer to point 4

kratos wrote:

3: Mixer does not switch output to headphones automatically has to be manually configured every time

Try these commands:

amixer -c 0 sset "Auto-Mute Mode" Enabled
sudo alsactl store
kratos wrote:

4: Windows take some time to close ~1 sec. after they are closed, when I close the windows the window decoration disappears but the window contents are displayed for the next ~1 sec. I have Cairo-compmgr installed >> believe that this might have to do with Cairo .. how do I switch back to compton if I so desire .. I purged the thing before installing Cairo (if you purge compton it also purges the bl-pipemenus automatically !?!?!?! didn't know compton was a metapackage tied to the bl-pipemenus)

Remove cairo-compmgr and reinstall compton and bl-pipemenus [1] and return the file at ~/.config/openbox/autostart to the default which can either be found here: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … /autostart or copied thusly:

cp /usr/share/bunsen/skel/,config/openbox/autostart ~/.config/openbox/autostart

See my reply here for more on metapackages and how they work in Debian:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 47#p435547

kratos wrote:

5: obmenu does not display the "execute" commands of the menu item .. have to go to the menu.xml to edit menus

Yeah, obmenu is a bit crap like that...
roll

[1] I'm not 100% sure how to do that so wait for @hhh to clarify.

#18 2015-07-23 19:52:07

kratos

@Head_on_a_Stick >> Thank you brother .. will apply these fixes once I get home and let you know of the results tomorrow evening .. Thanks again smile

#19 2015-07-24 04:27:31

kratos

@Head_on_a_Stick , Hello Brother, the volti config file is as detailed below:

[card-0]
control = Master
mask_lock = 0

[global]
mixer_show_values = 1
scale_increment = 1.0
card_index = 1
icon_theme = Faenza
scale_show_value = 0
mixer = alsamixer
show_tooltip = 1
notify_position = 0
keys = 0
toggle = mute
mixer_internal = 1
notify_body = <span font_desc="14" weight="bold">{volume}</span>
	<small>{card}</small>
	<small>{mixer}</small>
keys_backend = xlib
run_in_terminal = 1
notify_timeout = 2.0
show_notify = 0

[card-1]
mask_lock = 0
mask_control = 2047

Regarding auto recognition of head phones

amixer -c 0 sset "Auto-Mute Mode" Enabled

Gives me the following output:

shiv@kratos:~$ amixer -c 0 sset "Auto-Mute Mode" Enabled
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0

#4 >> Purged cairo-compmgr and installed compton .. and the issue is gone .. (but one thing that bothers me about compton is that it offers pseudo transparency for the terminal .. but i guess one can't have it all sad )

Thank you Brother for your help big_smile appreciate it   8o

#20 2015-07-24 06:28:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

johnraff wrote:
mr_delphi wrote:

python-gpgme is the package. The script puts up a confirmation popup then asks for a password. On a netinstall version everything worked fine but just now on an iso install I got a warning that python-gpgme had failed to install. This needs more work...

OK it's line 76 in bl-dropbox-pipemenu:

gksu apt-get install python-gpgme

If there are no dependencies to install, this works, but if apt-get wants to prompt for a y/n there is no terminal so it aborts. Adding the -y option

gksu 'apt-get install -y python-gpgme'

fixed it. This is now in the latest bunsen-pipemenus on GitHub.

Thank you for catching this bug.

John
--------------------

#21 2015-07-24 09:28:53

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

@kratos -- what happens if you right-click on the volti icon and select "Show Mixer"?

Do you have `alsamixer` installed?

sudo apt-get install alsamixer

I'm not sure why that `amixer` command doesn't work (it does in my Arch system with PA) -- try running:

alsamixer

Then select your analogue sound card with F6 (it should be the first option after the "default", marked "PCH") and toggle the "Auto-Mute" column to "Enabled"

I don't understand your comment about "pseudo transparency for the terminal" -- compton offers true transparency; can you explain this more please?

#22 2015-07-24 13:53:03

kratos

@Head_on_a_Stick , hey brother ... I am now officially an idiot ..

Alsamixer is already installed, I was trying to get "pavucontrol" to open up using the rightclick menu on volti (which ideally should be accessible through the right click menu but is not) .. I have to go into pavucontrol every time I plug in a headset and change the output to headphones manually.

regarding compton .. I just realised what you are saying is true .. it does offer true transparency .. my bad

#23 2015-07-27 04:12:47

mr_delphi

damo wrote:
mr_delphi wrote:

One thing that really bothers me (and I guess many crunchbangers are perfectionists? why no one is complaining -- i understand it is easy to change myself though) is that in the menu, capitalizing rule is inconsistent, you have "Openbox guide" together with "Openbox Guide", and "tint2 Documentation" together with "tint2 forum thread". It is just not consistent. Can we either cap everything or cap nothing?....

Menu capitalization has now been made consistent (unless I've missed some! :8 )

Thanks for the catch smile

Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but there are still many cases of capitalization inconsistencies (from pipemenus).

For example, you have "scrot Select Area" and "scrot multi-monitor" next to each other.

For one thing, scrot should be "Scrot"? Or at the least, the second one should be "scrot Multi-Monitor"?

As examples, I think the following needs changes:

Select default browser -> Select Default Browser

Browse here -> Browse Here

Clear recent files -> Clear Recent Files

You have Box-Look.org and gnome-look.org next to each other

Refresh keybinds list -> Refresh Keybinds List

Openbox windows commands -> Openbox Windows Commands

Run commands -> Run Commands

A few occasions of man page(s) -> Man Page(s)? <--- this may be debatable...

Finally, in settings, there are also some inconsistencies

#24 2015-07-27 06:40:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi mr_delphi you don't have to apologise at all - this kind of detailed feedback is what will make BL into a polished product. Thank you!

We'll gradually grind down this list - some of them are in my personal area - and get to a uniform standard of All Words Capitalized eventually. smile

John
--------------------

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-07-27 09:28:29

mr_delphi

Thanks! big_smile

johnraff wrote:

Hi mr_delphi you don't have to apologise at all - this kind of detailed feedback is what will make BL into a polished product. Thank you!

We'll gradually grind down this list - some of them are in my personal area - and get to a uniform standard of All Words Capitalized eventually. smile

Board footer