SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#176 2015-07-23 17:27:55

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Re: RELEASED: BunsenLabs 8.1 (Hydrogen) Live ISO 32 & 64 bit (alpha2)

^Thanks for the answers. Let me repeat: all my comments are made with best intentions, and thank you hhh, jraff and all other devs for the time invested in BL.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#177 2015-07-23 17:34:47

hhh
Cityspeak

hhh wrote:

One point, if you download and run the upgrade-bunsen-pkgs script (see first post for link and instructions), some of those errors will be fixed, like the multimedia key one.

Gah! Don't do that, I'm forgetting about our repository. Add that before proceeding with bl-welcome and it will run without errors...

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39993

8o

-edit- OP updated

Last edited by hhh (2015-07-23 17:46:56)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#178 2015-07-23 18:14:02

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

hhh wrote:

Add that before proceeding with bl-welcome and it will run without errors...

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39993

I did it (link "I added BL repository" in my original post, which is really the same as your link). To no avail, as explained/scrot-ed.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#179 2015-07-23 18:44:17

hhh
Cityspeak

Ah I see, the warning. I got that too, I'll ask johnraff what that's about.

#180 2015-07-24 02:44:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@iMBeCil and @hhh did you add the apt-key for the Bunsen repository as twoion explained in his post? That should eliminate the "cannot authenticate" errors when using that repo. OTOH if you run upgrade-bunsen-pkgs and install from the locally built packages then they will indeed be unauthenticated. Just enter 'y'.

The latest bunsen-welcome (0.07-6~git) uses the --allow-unauthenticated option when adding the deb-multimedia keyring, so that warning should go away eventually.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-07-24 05:58:03)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#181 2015-07-24 06:13:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Just confirmed that authentication warning with the bunsen repo packages and have posted on twoion's thread about it: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39993

EDIT: it's now been fixed.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-07-26 03:59:18)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#182 2015-07-25 17:43:51

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

I'm downloading the .ISO and will try it out in a VM and let ya guys know. I'm pretty comfy in my Linux Mint setup. But when Windows 10 comes out, I'm going to wipe my laptop and redo my dual boot setup. I'd love to be using BL by then.

EDIT: Have to download it again. Apparently the version of VirtualBox I have installed allows 32-BIT VM's only. And yes, I'd rather just download and .ISO then screw around with upgrading to the latest version of VirtualBox. Now that I've said that I imagine that I will run into some problem requiring me to upgrade anyway. Thanks murphy. wink

EDIT 2: Up and running. First attempt to boot using i686 PAE failed. Chose i586. Gotta say I like what I see so far. Openbox is quite refreshing I must say. I realy, really like the conky settings menu and conky chooser. Epic.

Last edited by Temetka (2015-07-25 18:29:39)

#183 2015-07-26 02:54:13

DomOctober

Been testing this as a daily driver since Alpha 2 was released and I really am ecstatic to see the project gaining traction. The stability, besides some of the Welcome Script issues others have discussed, has been outstanding. I love all the additional features, conkys, and bells and whistles that have been added - all the while without creating significant bloat- have been quite impressive.
Thank you, Team for the tireless hours building and tuning. I will do whatever I can to test the functionality of these builds, even if I'm no guru. I truly appreciate the effort displayed here.

#184 2015-07-28 15:43:27

Vaites!

Hi all,
I'm an old #! user who distrohope something during some time and now come back home with Bunsen.
I've installed from the iso yesterday. The theme of the distro is cool and in the backstage is Debian with its stability. I think, this is a distro ready for test in real environment without crashes.
I've experimented an issue during installation not said here: in graphical install mode, my touchpad didn't work. I've had to use keyboard. Then, in first boot, there was touchpad.

Congrats and thanks to all people who have contributed to this project. Awesome

#185 2015-07-28 23:11:25

hilltop_yodeler
Website

Hi All, I've been trying to catch up on the recent changes to the #! project and the more recent launch of BunsenLabs; I've been reading through various forum posts and through the GitHub page and honestly it's been difficult to find a single location that provides a simple roadmap or ISO downloads.  I've found several links to torrent files, and I've seen hhh's post with the 32/64 bit ISO torrent links - here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 18#p434418.  When I downloaded the 64 bit torrent file, I found that there was no one seeding the ISO so I was unable to download and/or seed back to other folks.  (I'd imagine that at some point there will be a website with a Download button, or a Start Here button or something...)

After examining the GitHub page, it appears that I can download the Debian netinstall ISO and install it, and then muck my way through various scripts that are listed on the GitHub page in order to have a version of BunsenLabs.

For someone like myself who only recently learned about "the end" of #!, and is just entering this conversation about BunsenLabs, where's the best place to go to access the latest ISO's without having to read through countless forum posts?

Also, I am really excited to see how things unfold with BunsenLabs.  I was crushed to see that #! was coming to an end because so far, it's been the only distro that I really am in love with.

Thank you!

#186 2015-07-28 23:47:47

twoion

Oh.

I didn't extend the torrent seed limit over 800G (indeed!) for both ISOs combined since the final release is drawing near fast and I wanted to save the difference to 1T (=traffic quota) of traffic for that spurt (I was paying for the server). But that doesn't matter much now because of our new sponsored server.

I am serving now direct downloads for the alpha2 ISOs here until the next batch of ISOs is released. Use the provided checksum file to verify the ISO integrity after downloading. Traffic is limited to 1M/s as to insure good availability for everyone. I'll check the traffic tomorrow and may lift the limit.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Good night.

Last edited by twoion (2015-07-28 23:48:23)

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#187 2015-07-29 19:09:42

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Hey all, I've been away for a while (yet again...  8.(  ) and I'm really excited to come back to this! I'll be trying it out soon, and can't wait for the final release!

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#188 2015-07-29 22:57:33

hhh
Cityspeak

OP updated with working links. Bad timing on my part that I chose the last 24 hours to leave my computer alone, sorry!

#189 2015-07-31 21:38:25

malzeit
Website

Hi,

installed 64bitversion some min ago inside qemu-host. Everything works fine, nice job  {)

Only thing that does not work: selecting german language inside of installation -> and i am not able to type
slash /
nor
colon :
after choosing german language.

Qemu fault? (not sure, ubuntu-server and pure debian are working fine in my qemu-host)
User fault?  sad
Package fault?

So long

Last edited by malzeit (2015-07-31 21:39:18)

My english is not the yellow from the egg! (translation: it's not exactly brilliant.)
native language: german - mais, je parle francais un petit peu
(L)ubuntu from 2007-2012 // Debian since 2012 with Fluxbox + #!

#190 2015-08-01 01:40:38

borborygmi

^You may need to change the keyboard layout to 'de' as well as changing the language. I ran into some similar shenanigans when setting up my Raspberry Pi. Try this.

#191 2015-08-02 11:52:14

malzeit
Website

borborygmi wrote:

^You may need to change the keyboard layout to 'de' as well as changing the language.

I did it.

Select a language - German - Deutsch

Set location - Deutschland

Set Keymap - Deutsch

Totally, i selected 3x german/Germany as i did it hundred times before while installating Debian without graphical installer wink

And i got a total wrong keymap. It is wether qwertz nor qwerty.

I think it is a bug inside iso (wrong locales?!) (not sure, i am just a user) smile

Regardes

My english is not the yellow from the egg! (translation: it's not exactly brilliant.)

#192 2015-08-02 19:52:03

saaxxinho

Totally, i selected 3x german/Germany as i did it hundred times before while installating Debian without graphical installer wink

And i got a total wrong keymap. It is wether qwertz nor qwerty.

I think it is a bug inside iso (wrong locales?!) (not sure, i am just a user) smile

Regardes

I had a similar problem with CB / BL (but not in a vm, in a real installation) - and only with a Logitech (K400) keyboard.
My solution was typing "setxkbmap de" in a terminal. And since this keyboard is my main keyboard, I wrote this command in the openbox autostart file.
Dont know, if this is helpful for your qemu-installation of BL.

Apart from that:
Great Distro! Truly a worthy development of CrunchBang. It's fun to work with. The "look & feel" is superb. Kudos to the developers and the community.

English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes. I’m working on improving my English.

#193 2015-08-03 09:16:04

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

To change keyboard configuration, use:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

& reboot

https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

#194 2015-08-03 13:21:05

hhh
Cityspeak

Vaites! wrote:

in graphical install mode, my touchpad didn't work. I've had to use keyboard. Then, in first boot, there was touchpad

You didn't have mouse control from the touchpad? Not having tap-click is a known issue, we're currently setting that at the user's openbox/autostart config. We plan to move this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/bunsen.conf which should fix this.

malzeit wrote:

And i got a total wrong keymap.

We need more information. Is the layout changeable in the live session? Does running sudo setupcon fix it? Does installing console-data fix it? Does manually editing /etc/defaults/keyboard fix it?

#195 2015-08-03 13:55:42

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ malzeit German Keyboard

Head_on_a_Stick's post works for me and I do it all the time:

alias keyb='sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'

just pick: German - follow the defaults.  These are after the reboot but I went through the process again to show you:
Notice my text editor with the first row of keys: qwertzuiop and the "u" I can't get now as I am back in my "latam" layout.

1. http://postimg.org/image/yuon9mhjd/ after typing "keyb" in a terminal

2. http://postimg.org/image/azvgb9bux/

3. http://postimg.org/image/pufgbow21/

4. http://postimg.org/image/lp953innt/

5. http://postimg.org/image/oynk9zbrd/

6. http://postimg.org/image/7hjgevayx/ - done - close everything and reboot

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#196 2015-08-04 20:02:29

malzeit
Website

malzeit wrote:

And i got a total wrong keymap.

We need more information. Is the layout changeable in the live session? Does running sudo setupcon fix it? Does installing console-data fix it? Does manually editing /etc/defaults/keyboard fix it?

Hi,
quoting myself... a little bit megalomania  ]:D

In Livemode, my keymap is a mixture of english and german. I have : on correct key, but i get no german Ö.
Normally, when english qwerty-keymap is loaded on a qwertz-keyboard, i have to type shift+ö to get :.

Confusing to describe, i will check LiveCD by "burning" on a stick and will reply this (central-europe-)evening.

Keymap change: i tried some variants... but meanwhile, i believe it is an error caused by qemu sad
I will do a restart right now, attached USB-stick and will see what happens smile

#197 2015-08-04 20:23:43

malzeit
Website

malzeit wrote:

[
Keymap change: i tried some variants... but meanwhile, i believe it is an error caused by qemu sad

Got it: qemu is causing that error. Booting from USB into Live, i got a correct qwerty-english-keymap. dpkg-reconfigure also works.
Starting installation, choosing german, deutsch, berlin also works fine.

So, sorry for confusing, only thing left: why is there an error inside qemu? (when installing from debian mini.iso and ubuntu-server.iso, keymap is set correct inside qemu)
Okay, nobody is interested in this and priority will be between /dev/zero and /dev/null ... wink

Regardes and thanks for help

Last edited by malzeit (2015-08-04 20:25:25)

#198 2015-08-04 21:53:34

sashamoniker

malzeit wrote:

Okay, nobody is interested in this and priority will be between /dev/zero and /dev/null ... wink

No, no, if it affected you it's sure to affect someone else before long. Thanks for such detailed descriptions and workaround. I don't know why it's a problem, but with your help I am confident it can be solved.

#199 2015-08-09 10:46:21

ohnonot
...again

Finally i installed this to bare metal.

I'm impressed.

but of course there's some constructive criticism coming...

i installed the 64bit version, using the command line installer.

[ there are a few things that are definitely not bunsen-specific, because i experienced them many times, but i'll drop them here anyhow: - there's no way to use an existing swap partition, the installer insists on assigning it a new uuid, so i have to go through my other installations and fix that. hrmph. - installing grub invariably fails on my system with 3 hard drives. fortunately, i could still boot into my main distro, run an update-grub from there, and the generated config seems to be the same as the bunsenlab one. ]

during bl-welcome:
love the "I understand" bit!
further on, i accidentally pressed enter on the multimedia repos, defaulting to No.
so later i added them manually - i had a look at /usr/lib/bunsen/bunsen-welcome/add-multimedia-repo, and all it seems to do is add the repo & the key & run an update/grade, right?

I installed geany, and it automatically changed the default editor to geany, the pipemenus use geany now instead of leafpad. great!
is this bl-magic or just plain debian magic?

in the System menu, there's "Edit default applications", which opens gksu and then dies because galternatives is not installed.
once i installed galternatives, all is good.

i don't use compositing.
however, the Tint2 Chooser insists on re-enabling compositing.
[ i might open an issue on github and even suggest a fix ]

The Conky and Tint2 choosers could need a 3rd button "Apply" - it's a little annoying having to re-open the chooser everytime I want to look at a different setup.

---------

If you install Hydrogen to your computer, upgrade your system before proceeding with our Welcome script (bl-welcome)!

this will not go well with the noobs!
apart from this, i don't see any reason why one should call this an "alpha2" - many egomaniac devs never come up with a distro as solid as this, and don't even call it beta.

really, i want to start recommending this to people.
i can say from reading various forums, the demand is still there!
(we had a discussion about what makes crunchbang special and why we need to fill the void, i'm not going to repeat it all.)

Thank You for BunsenLabs!

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-08-09 10:48:52)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#200 2015-08-09 16:11:41

hhh
Cityspeak

there's no way to use an existing swap partition, the installer insists on assigning it a new uuid

There is a way, it's just not well documented.

Prevent swap from reformatting...

1. When you get to the partitioning stage, choose "Manual"

2. After setting up your partition(s), select your current swap partition>"Use as..."

3. Scroll to the bottom and choose "Do not use"

4. Scroll down to "Done setting up the partitions"

5. Accept that you're proceeding without formatting swap

6. Continue with the installation

Keep Bunsen from controlling GRUB...

1. When prompted with "Would you like to install GRUB to the MBR?", choose "No"

2. This is the silly part, now choose the drive you'd normally install GRUB to (the installer will NOT install GRUB there, I promise, even though it will say it's installing grub in the progress bar)

3. Finish your installation and reboot into your primary OS

4. Run 'sudo update-grub'

If you didn't reformat swap...

1. Copy the swap lines from /etc/fstab into /etc/fstab of the Bunsen file system

2. Reboot into Bunsen

Last edited by hhh (2015-08-09 21:53:04)

Board footer