SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-07 16:29:43

altshift

kernel panic

hi, my computer has had several kernel panic issues. How do I know if its the hardware or software? If I change the kernel do I solve the panics? thank you

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-07-07 18:00:52

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: kernel panic

altshift wrote:

How do I know if its the hardware or software?

If it is intermittent then it is probably hardware related.

You can eliminate problems in your particular set up by testing your system in the live environment.

You could try changing the kernel -- what operating system are you using?

#3 2015-07-07 20:32:19

altshift

hi there, what do you mean with intermittent? how do I test my system in the live environment? I think it has to do with the internet connection because if I unplug the connection everything works. I'm using crunchbang. thank you for your help  smile

Last edited by altshift (2015-07-07 20:33:52)

#4 2015-07-07 20:36:02

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

altshift wrote:

hi there, what do you mean with intermittent?

I mean if it is not happening all the time.

altshift wrote:

how do I test my system in the live environment?

Load up the CrunchBang ISO image that you used to install your system -- it has an option in the startup menu to run a "live" system.

To upgrade your kernel to a newer version, follow this guide:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36896

You will still hava an option in the GRUB menu to boot into the old kernel (3.2) if there are any problems.

#5 2015-07-07 20:59:32

altshift

it is intermittent when is connected, it is not when I unplug the cable. So whats happening with the connection?

I installed crunchbang 3 days ago so it should have the latest kernel. I thought that there could be a kernel more propitious for my pc, is that correct? I understand that there are different types of kernel for different types of hardware, right?
Before installing crunchbang I had several kernel panics with linux mint and windows xp and windows 7, but the same thing happened, if the connection was on more panics occurred.

Last edited by altshift (2015-07-07 21:02:57)

#6 2015-07-07 21:12:28

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

What connection do you mean?

The kernel in CrunchBang is very old: it is from 2013

#7 2015-07-07 21:38:07

altshift

the internet connection.

alright so Ill update the kernel. The idea would be the latest kernel is the best for all computers? or there are different adaptations? thank you  smile

#8 2015-07-07 21:40:44

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

altshift wrote:

the latest kernel is the best for all computers

^ This.

Mostly...

#9 2015-07-08 02:11:47

altshift

honestly I dont think is the kernel. ill do the update and post the result. thank you so much for your help  smile

#10 2015-07-08 08:14:50

ohnonot
...again

you have to understand that crunchbang is quite old and objectively outdated.
yes, the kernel is from 2013.
if you still have problems you have to give us more information:
- try to read exactly what it says about the kernel panic (maybe make a photo of it)
- give us an idea of what sort of hardware you have there, maybe with an "lspci" listing:

lspci -k

- what sort of internet cnnection? you know, ethernet, wlan,... what hardware?

if you say this happened across operating systems, there's a chance it is hardware related (broken), but there still might be a workaround, because with linux anything is possible.

what happens if you connect to the internet after the boot process completed? everything fine then?

on a more general note, you might want to read this before answering:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

you should probably just install debian stable (without a desktop environment) instead, then use one of the bunsenlab guides/scripts from these forums.

#11 2015-07-09 03:28:32

altshift

I updated the kernel, it didnt work.
I reinstalled crunchbang and I have the same issues mostly when connected to the internet with a USB. So I deduce is the connection because there is a big difference, between plugging or unplugging the USB, on how the system works. I had a crash 6 minutes ago but it was the only one without the conection. Yes, Im reading forums as much as I can. Thank you for your help.

#12 2015-07-09 06:59:26

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Hardware problems, perhaps?

#13 2015-07-11 22:05:31

altshift

its not a hardware problem. someone entered and messed with my computer

#14 2015-07-12 09:41:17

ohnonot
...again

oops.

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-07-12 09:45:37)

#15 2015-07-12 09:44:48

ohnonot
...again

altshift wrote:

its not a hardware problem. someone entered and messed with my computer

from what you posted here so far, i didn't get the impression that you have the know-how to make an assumption like that, so what makes you think that?

with so little info provided by you, i think it's rather a usb problem (since you said you are connecting to the internet via usb). maybe you should only plug it in after you have booted.
maybe it (usb wifi stick?) is broken. maybe even the usb port is broken - that is rather common.

see here:

altshift wrote:

I updated the kernel, it didnt work.
I reinstalled crunchbang and I have the same issues mostly when connected to the internet with a USB. So I deduce is the connection because there is a big difference, between plugging or unplugging the USB, on how the system works.

first of all "it didn't work" is always the wrong answer in a linux forum.
but instead of trying to find out what is actually going on, you just reinstalled.
so now you're back to the old kernel.
maybe it doesn't even have support for your usb internet device (?).

#16 2015-07-13 02:55:25

paxmark1
#! Junkie

I would advise expanding your options.  If you are starting out in linux - pretty much everyone here would recommend Debian for you, Crunchbang being about 99% Debian.  But you are installing a very ancient version of what was at the time one of the coolest versions of openbox, tint2 for a panel, conky for system messages and a very very beautiful set of key-bindings with installation menus to guide you in what sort of programs to install and at the same time one of the premier forums for help and politeness. 

Times change.

If you are looking for minimal versions of debian that work on less powerful hardware (as #! did, but that was not the only reason people chose it) then I can strongly advise you to install a non-free debian iso of either lxde or xfce.  That should get you up and running and eliminate some hassles.  Doing that also will get you help in the Debian forums and the #debian irc.  Key things are - amd64 or i386 ?    LVM or standard partitions?  Are you dealing with uefi?  If you do not know the answers to these, read up on it. 

https://www.debian.org/CD/live/    to get torrents for the live installs

This forum is friendly to people running non Crunchbang systems.  You can still ask questions here after installing Debian stable. 

But re-installation is not how to progress in linux and debian.  Investigation and communication are the tools needed here. 

By the time you are up and running and getting things done with your computer hopefully you can try out the new BunsenLabs - next generation of #!.  But expect more help and an easier install with something Debian Jessie 8.1 version install.

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

Board footer