SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-29 00:22:22

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

how do I install 3 Linux sys on 2 HDD's?

Before I even try this will grub and/or grub2 pick it up and it will work?

What I am working with is two hard dives and the desire to have two Linux on one hard drive and another one the second HDD.

Step by Step procedure I'd use. Ending up with this.

/dev/sda =  2 /  root and 1 /home 
/dev/sdb = 1 /  root and 1 /home

First do this.

Starting with the Second Hard Drive /dev/sdb

Create 3 partitions.
First partition would be ruffly 20 GB (or what ever size you want. Just not too small ) then set mount point to /

Second partition what is left over minus swap file size set to mount point /home

Third partition is the size you left for your swap drive set to swap dive, the other two set to ext4.

Format all three during the install. Installing what ever flavor of Linux. Letting Grub install on /dev/sdb ?

Then it updates itself. Reboot into Linux. Check it out for a sec. Now reboot and do another install.

Second do this:

First Hard Drive   /dev/sda

Create three partitions on /dev/sda.

The first 2 partitions would be ruffly 20 GB each (or what ever size you want. Just not too small ) then set mount point to /

The third partition would be the rest of the HDD set mount point to /home

All three partitions set to ext4

First Install: a flavor I want on one of the first smaller partition setting it to /  and the third partition would be set to /home - to set up the home directories. Leaving the second smaller partition alone. Formatting the first partition set to  /   and third partition set to /home for first install and formating during the install for ease.

When Grub installs on /dev/sda default drive then updates it should show two installs 1 on /dev/sdb and 1 on /dev/sda

Reboot boot into /dev/sda install

sudo grub-install /dev/sda 
sudo update-grub

This insures that grub is installed on /dev/sda and set to both installs. Reboot into third install, first hard drive.

Third do this:

Second Install: on first hard drive of a Flavor I want.

On the second smaller partition setting mount point to /  Then the same  /home mount point again but do NOT format it. Only set it to ext4 and mount point to /home . Leaving the first / mount point alone.

Then install what ever flavor of Linux. Letting it format only the second /   mount point this time and not the first /  and not the /home mount point. Where the order would be. Mount the second / and set it to format while installing linux. Mount the /home set to ext4 and no format, and leave the first mount point /  completely alone, then Install Linux of whatever Flavor.

When it gets to the grub let it install and grub sees the first two installs then add it to the present install. Then on rebooting go into the first /dev/sda install then do this.

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

This is to not only insure that grub is on /dev/sda but it too gets the boot order set properly.

/dev/sda second install is now the first in line to boot from
/dev/sda third install is now the second in line to boot from
/dev/sdb first install is now the third in line to boot from

This way would ensure that:

All three installs are now too using the /dev/sdb swap file as their own swap drive as well, eliminating the need for more then one swap drive. Because of the order the install was performed it keeps it in line because the last install is on /dev/sda and it insures that it too will pick up or have the swap drive on the last install.

Re-thinking it real quick

1. /dev/sdb   first install --

2. /dev/sda -- second install -- and the second partiton first root  - not the first root - first partiton  keeping /home the same

3. /dev/sda   --thrid install -- is the first partiton second root -   keeping /home the same

QUESTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

SWAP DRIVE:

so that the first partiton root will pick up the swap drive on the last install then all three will have them, or should it not matter they all should end up with the swap drive attached to them in the end therefore the order of installs does not really matter?

GRUB:
Because /dev/sda is the default GRUB install HDD will it install itself on /dev/sda if it has already been used therefore more likely have some kind of formatiing on it so that grub can install itself onto /dev/sda. OR will GRUB see /dev/sda because it can detect it therefore being the little rascel that it is it will just install itself onto /dev/sda anyways.

If Grub does install itself onto /dev/sda and it has nothing that anyone can boot into on that drive yet because it is on /dev/sdb will GRUB still do what it is suppose to and let the user boot into the /dev/sdb Linux instead and NOT giving the user a GRUB ERROR> so that this said user can finish the installing of the other flavors of Linux?

The rest should work, in theory it does.  wink

----------------

VM is my next venture so please do not tell me or ask me:

WHY NOT JUST USE VM  ???  big_smile  Thank you {)

---

I hope I have asked that properly --  neutral

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-29 00:46:21)

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-05-29 01:29:24

eight.bit.al

Re: how do I install 3 Linux sys on 2 HDD's?

So much depends on the distros involved.
Shearing a /home can be problematic. Subtle differences in config files for one.
I share swap a lot with no problems.
The only guarantee in listed boot order is first place; owned by the last distro installed.
You might do some trial and error to see what happens.
Some tools:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/ - will let you put grub on either drive
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kcm-grub2/
https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

Would help if you share which distros. I once had ~30 distros on two drives.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2015-05-29 01:40:33)

#3 2015-05-29 01:45:00

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:

Would help if you share which distros. I once had ~30 distros on two drives.

30? WoW -- is that how you got to know that it disturbs each other if the same home is shared with too many different (people) linux'es?
and
How long did that take you a lot of doing to figure it out who gets alone with who?

1. elementary OS because unbootin works on it - not Debian 8 flavors

2. a Debian -- prob crunchbang upgrade to BL

both "Debian" based just elementary is more of a off shoot of Ubuntu and #! / BL is DEBIAN 8

3. Testing so anything goes that is why it is on /dev/sdb

Gurb can be installed just by telling it to where

grub-install /dev/sdb

that works too , but to keep grub on /dev/sda because of always installing on sdb one may mess up and grub gets lost and problems happens and ......

just to keep grub where I know where it is at too .. I always update it before booting back into the test Linux I installed to be sure it knows whats going on.

"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#4 2015-05-29 01:59:01

eight.bit.al

Rescatux will help if things get borked and you can't boot to run grub-install
The other two links will help in getting boot order listed the way you want it.
You can have a different working grub on both MBRs and select boot drive from BIOS. On my mobo, F8 brings up a boot menu - sda, sdb, etc.

I'm a distro hopping addict  smile Sixty three years young and always learning.

#5 2015-05-29 02:04:43

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:

Rescatux will help if things get borked and you can't boot to run grub-install
The other two links will help in getting boot order listed the way you want it.
You can have a different working grub on both MBRs and select boot drive from BIOS. On my mobo, F8 brings up a boot menu - sda, sdb, etc.

Keew I'll look in to them  need to maybe put a grub on SD CARD for HDD's to that'd be nice for grub errors too

it's esc  then F9 on this laptop for boot order picking what to boot off of

I'm a distro hopping addict  smile Sixty three years young and always learning.

It's never to late to learn something big_smile wink

edit

figure out how to be nice to put a grub on SD CARD -- figure out how to - I meant big_smile 2 SAY

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-29 02:22:06)

#6 2015-05-29 02:17:52

eight.bit.al

Glad to be of help  smile  Please let us know how it turns out.

#7 2015-05-29 02:20:16

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:

Glad to be of help  smile  Please let us know how it turns out.

Oh I will -- Prob be trying to tomorrow --

Ga' Night   smile

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-29 02:20:58)

#8 2015-05-29 13:16:43

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Also you can "update" grub when you are back in the system you want in the #! slot on the list.

alias gri='echo "alias gri = sudo grub-install /dev/sda" ; sudo grub-install /dev/sda'
alias gru='echo "alias gru = sudo update-grub" ; sudo update-grub'
alias griu='echo "alias griu = sudo grub-install /dev/sda ; sudo update-grub" ; sudo grub-install /dev/sda ; sudo update-grub'

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#9 2015-05-29 13:56:30

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:
alias gri='echo "alias gri = sudo grub-install /dev/sda" ; sudo grub-install /dev/sda'
alias gru='echo "alias gru = sudo update-grub" ; sudo update-grub'
alias griu='echo "alias griu = sudo grub-install /dev/sda ; sudo update-grub" ; sudo grub-install /dev/sda ; sudo update-grub'

Are them BASH conf alias for ease on the finger tips with the command line and memory usages?  smile

Also you can "update" grub when you are back in the system you want in the #! slot on the list.

What purpose  does that serve with the alias it'd have to be on the system that is not touched by re installing all the time. SO no having to keep putting that back in there.

Therefore it'd be ran on the main system installing GRUB on /dev/sda then updating it to reflect --

what would be the end result depending on which other partition one install on last, then going back to main system then updating Grub again, the installing it again is to just ensure that it is where the user wants it to be, for peace of mind ????

As it stands right now I parted out my second drive /sdb I left my first drive alone, keeping only one install of Linux on it for the time being.

first part- / at beginning of hard drive Primary
second part /home behind it logical

then swap part at end of hard drive set to "swap" of course.

leaving the rest of the hard drive as free space for an option to use it in other installs
and I plan on mixing the /home mounts and keeping some separated, meaning having more then one /home some to different flavors of Linux , and others to themselves only to check for compatibility issues. as @eight.bit.al brought up a good point.

#10 2015-05-29 14:30:10

eight.bit.al

I would not be concerned about /home partitions.. I'd let it install /home in / for each OS and make one or two large partitions to keep files in. OR:
Install the main OS on the larger drive with a separate /home partition as large as possible. Install the other two Os'es with /home in the / partition and the rest of the drive as an empty ext4 formated partition to share files with all OS'es.

I can't imagine sharing a /home between two OS'es, Even if they were the same exact OS. Unless one is very careful to keep records and keep both OS'es updated the same way one is asking for trouble.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2015-05-29 14:45:07)

#11 2015-05-29 14:38:35

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:

I would not be concerned about /home partitions.. I'd let it install /home in / for each OS and make one or two large partitions to keep files in. OR:
Install the main OS on the larger drive with a separate /home partition as large as possible. Install the other two Os'es with /home in the / partition and the rest of the drive as an empty ext4 formated partition to share files with all OS'es.

I can't imagine sharing a /home between to OS'es, Even if they were the same exact OS. Unless one is very careful to keep records and keep both OS'es updated the same way one is asking for trouble.

That is an interesting combanation to keep homes seperated, then use an big area formated ext4 for all of the OS's to use as a strogae area.

what would be the mount point or how to have it mount auto for every OS installed on both Hard drives if that, well it should be possible, but what mount point, as I never really took the time to read that list of all them when installing.

Like make it a "directory" called storage that every install could see in filemanger or set it in all of the bookmarks in all of the filesmangers then all OS's could use too when ever they are running.

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-29 14:42:13)

#12 2015-05-29 14:40:48

eight.bit.al

sda:
| - - - OS-1 - - - | - - - OS-2 w/home - - - | - - - OS-1 /home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
sdb
| - - - OS-3 w/home - - - | - - - Sharing partition - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2015-05-29 14:42:49)

#13 2015-05-29 14:45:58

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

/sda
OS 1 no home | OS 2 w/home |or| is the use of this | you are meaning or ?

OS 1 w/home OS 2 w/home

/sdb

OS 3 w/home   Sharing partition than a  swap drive for all three at the end of /sdb

eight.bit.al wrote:

sda:
| - - - OS-1 - - - | - - - OS-2 w/home - - - | - - - OS-1 /home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
sdb
| - - - OS-3 w/home - - - | - - - Sharing partition - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-29 14:46:40)

#14 2015-05-29 14:50:46

eight.bit.al

userx-bw wrote:

what would be the mount point or how to have it mount auto for every OS installed on both Hard drives if that, well it should be possible, but what mount point, as I never really took the time to read that list of all them when installing.

Depending on the OS, most will recognize all partitions in file manager - Thunar for example. Some mount in /media some in /mnt
Modify fstab to auto mount where you want them.

#15 2015-05-29 14:52:48

eight.bit.al

| = partition divider

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2015-05-29 14:53:25)

#16 2015-05-29 14:58:20

eight.bit.al

More refined:

| - - - OS-1 - - - | - - - OS-2 w/home - - - | - - - OS-1 /home - - - - - - - - - |
           ^------------------------------------------------------^

| - Swap - | - - - OS-3  w/home - - - | - - - - - Share - - - - - |

#17 2015-05-29 14:59:36

eight.bit.al

The beginning of the drive is the fastest. Put Os'es and Swap there.
Use gparted to set it all up and lable each partition,
and make the installs go faster/smoother

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2015-05-29 15:04:18)

#18 2015-05-29 15:10:05

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:

sda:
sdb

so then that'd be

sda
par 1 = OS 1 / |  par 2 = OS 2 / and /home | par 3 =  OS 1 3rd par is /home

sdb

par 1 = OS 3 / and /home | par 2 = sharing par | par 3 = swap for all OS's both HDD's

1. sda:

2. first part - os 1 with /

3. sec part - os 1 with /home

4. thrid part - os 2 with /

5. forth part - os 2 with /home

6. sdb

7. first part - os 3 with /

8. second part - os 3 with /home

9. third part - seperate large part for storage for all thee

10. forth part - end part for swap for all the OS's

the keeping of the / and the /home seperated is just incase one wants to reinstall a different OS into that part and he can still keep files in the /home no worries of losing anything

#19 2015-05-29 15:10:55

eight.bit.al

Okay, one last time  big_smile

grub in MBR listing all OS'es
| - - - elementary - - - | - - - Debian w/home - - - | - - - elementary /home - - - - - - - - - |
           ^---------------------------------------------------------------^

| - Swap - | - - - Test  w/home - - - | - - - - - Share - - - - - |

#20 2015-05-29 15:12:07

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:

The beginning of the drive is the fastest. Put Os'es and Swap there.
Use gparted to set it all up and lable each partition,
and make the installs go faster/smoother

Yeah I know fastest is at front of HDD but I don't use swap that much big_smile ...

I never played with gparted in Linux / windows partitons I've messed with Partiton Magic and others like it moving the partiton size with WIndows still installed

#21 2015-05-29 15:13:32

eight.bit.al

userx-bw wrote:

the keeping of the / and the /home seperated is just incase one wants to reinstall a different OS into that part and he can still keep files in the /home no worries of losing anything

A different OS is going to have very different config files. Keep  non distro specific files in Share partition

#22 2015-05-29 15:28:16

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:
userx-bw wrote:

A different OS is going to have very different config files.

YEP messes up stuff or has potentual to do so -- depends on distro of course we both know this mute point -- neutral

Keep  non distro specific files in Share partition

yeah like movies - music -- pictures and stuff big_smile

#23 2015-05-29 15:30:26

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

eight.bit.al wrote:

Okay, one last time  big_smile

| - - - elementary - - - | - - - Debian w/home - - - | - - - elementary /home - - - - - - - - - |
           ^---------------------------------------------------------------^

| - Swap - | - - - Test  w/home - - - | - - - - - Share - - - - - |

you're really good with formating using a keyboard big_smile

for good mesure swap on beggning of HDD for speedy responces to I/O

K' big_smile got it that looks like a winner --- I can tear up the TEST with formating and installing keeping it seperated NP --

#24 2015-05-29 15:44:26

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

@eight.bit.al

or just for sake of conversation. big_smile

sda is 1 TB
sdb is like 750 GB

they both spin at the same speed, so swap can be on sdb.
then just put the majority of the free space for stoarge on sda -

then mount the home drives for all of the OS's on sdb

or better yet pull my HDDs and make sdb my 1 TB for storage then split up my 750 GB now on sda into  ele  | debian | testing because sda boots than using sdb for a swap and the rest for stroage or something along that effect because sda 750 GB still has room to play with.

so as I don't really need a lot of space for home then I could make up two storages one on each hdd then share them both with the other installed OS's

as for storage I'd mostly have movies then I'd put music on here too so I can listen to that instead of iPod while using LapTop or w/ streaming radiotray --

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-29 15:45:59)

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2015-05-29 16:02:30

eight.bit.al

My design using the distros as the only input from your request:

sda - grub in MBR listing all OS'es
| - - - elementary w/home - - - | - - - Debian w/home - - - | - - - Main share- - - - - - - - - |

sdb - grub in MBR listing all OS'es
| - Swap - | - - - Test  w/home - - - | - - - - - Secondary Share - - - - - |

sdb could be totally wiped with no loss of important data.
peace out.

Board footer