SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-23 23:32:43

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Upgrade Crunchbang to BunsenLabs / Jessie sub-alpha

Mod Edit:

This script is now obsolete as it does not include the BunsenLabs repositories.

To install BunsenLabs, use the live ISO image:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=40602

--HoaS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mod Edit 2

This script is not approved by the BL team, and is unsupported.
It is known to have caused problems for some users.

--damo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone that is interested in trying on BunsenLabs but is still using Crunchbang perhaps out of fear of not wanting to reinstall everything. Well now you don't have to start all over again instead you can upgrade to Debians 8 / Jessie and get BunsenLabs installed in the process with all the Flair of thier motifs, and them Conky's -- to die for wink .

edit: added today's date:

All I know is it is a crying shame that no one that is trying to pick up where Chruchbang left off is trying to help the ones that have had Crunchbang on their systems for like forever. Having it all set up the way the user wants it with all of there customizations and data on it. Now if they want to "live on" with whatever "distro" that has "taken over" where Crunchbang left off they have to bail out of their old already setup Crunchbang than start all over again by wiping out their entire system and reinstalling another one than having to go though everything all over again by copying or editing there files and data and such getting it back to how they had it, and liked it in the first place.

if you just want to try this in order to just be able to upgrade an existing Crunchbang 7.6 Wheezy to Jessie 8.0. this is what i did to remove the Crunchbang items that got in the way for me to upgrade to Jessie 8.0.

This put me into a I'm guessing the name they call this is like a Vanilla Debian. All I know is it worked for me. What was once a 7.6 is now an 8.0 without having to wipe out my entire drive and reinstall Debian again in version 8 then have to do everything all over again.

Though, this is entirely up to you to either try or not try this. It is your system, not mine. What you do to it is entirely up to you. I take no responsibility for your own actions in anything that you do.

sudo apt-get remove cb-cowpowers cb-welcome tint2conf compton-git 
#removing cb-configs too. This is optional  

# then change your sources.list to reflect Jessie's repo's than ..

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This is entirely up to you to either try or not try. It is your system, not mine. What you do to it is entirely up to you. All I know is it is a crying shame that no one that is trying to pick up where Chruchbang left off is trying to help the ones that have had Crunchbang on their systems for like forever. Having it all set up the way the user wants it with all of there customizations and data on it. Now if they want to "live on" with whatever "distro" that has "taken over" where Crunchbang left off they have to bail out of their old already setup Crunchbang than start all over again by wiping out their entire system and reinstalling another one than having to go though everything again copying over there files and data and such getting it back to how they had it, and liked it in the first place.
----------------------------
simple fix to automount
copy save name then copy to --

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/automount.pkla

[Allow Automount]
Identity=unix-group:plugdev
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Allow Eject]
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.eject-media*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Allow Mounting of fstab]
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-fstab*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

Or you can try this ------- to get BLBR edtion ( before release edtion )

I finished this script at this posting. It is taken from BunsenLabs Netinstall script, then I modified it to work (mines does anyways) in Upgrading from a Crunchbang waldorf install to Jessie with BunsenLabs with out having to wipe out my hard drives. Just keep everything like it is then run the script and let it do all of the work for you, except for OP input that it needs.

As far as moving your data in your Crunchbang directories within your home Directory, to Debians (new) Directories. Debian has used Caps for all of there Folders and Changed images to Pictures, but that too is taken care of only in insuring that your Brand New Freshly installed Upgraded Thunar FileManager with really cool icons will reflect the changes that Debian did to its folders. So you will not have to change all of your bookmarks to get to your new folders that are used as default. All you have to do is move your own Data from your old folders then delete them if you want. So no worries of this script messing with your data. That is not to say DON'T back up your important stuff before upgrading. For them Just incase scenarios. big_smile

Just go to a tty using Ctrl + Alt + (F1 - F6)
then log in - navagate your way into where you put bunsenlabs-cb-upgrade-master directory.
then run  $./install-bl8a

wget https://github.com/userx-bw/bunsenlabs-cb-upgrade/archive/master.tar.gz 
 tar -xpf master.tar.gz
 cd bunsenlabs-cb-upgrade-master
 ./install-bl8a

or go here and download the zip
https://github.com/userx-bw/bunsenlabs-cb-upgrade

Follow the promps, and yes it is going to take awhile. You will get three promps from the upgrade itself.
the last one where it asks you if you want lightDM or what ever other longin manager / greeter you have.
Pick LightDM so you can see the nice things that the BunsenLab Crew did to it.

install all of BunsenLabs debs that are created from git.

then when that is done. Eventually ( not much longer after wards ) you'll see a reboot me into your newly upgraded BunsenLabs / Jessie GNU/Linux OS

Lnq6Emcm.png

6Z2m80Km.png

xLaV6RMm.png

7wZgJ5Km.png

8w0qtnUm.png

if you click on the image below it will get bigger, then look to where the arrow is pointing
you'll see a battery.

LnruHiem.png

The battery Icon in Tint2 not showing. This is a xfce4 thing. If you'd like a battery showing until xfce4 gets there game back on, as the battery is an after "market" upgrade. Just pop open a Terminal then install it -- change your /openbox/autostart file  adding this line where xfce-power-manager is at. You may want to comment it out instead of deleting it.

mate-power-manager & 

The Menu has been changed. The menu that is installed with BunsenLabs will not have all of your applications outside of the basic install that is theirs with all of their extra's!! SO don't go off using this menu right away. First be sure to take a good look at what it is they have set up in there menu. This menu will eliminate most of there custom options within there menu.

You can get this menu here:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39322  that is where to go to install this menu you see in the photos.

The Vol Icon is there people, it is just too dark to see it with the rest of their post setup theme, I think they are still working on there finishing up and changing things so they can finish up. You'll have to ask them. smile Until then you can change your icon theme to get it to show.

NOTE:
If it drops the line while downloading your upgrade software from Debian then just run it again, and it should run through then pick up here it left off then keep on going until completion. It does with me, as with me when it drops the line I do believe it is because I am running this off a public wifi connection. As a result of downloading so much so fast it just cuts me off, as it reaches the cap they put on it.

I just reset my connection (when needed) to get back on line and keep downloading. big_smile

The using of this script as I intended it for or otherwise has no guarantees or warranties limited or otherwise. Use at your own risk. It is not supported. But feedback is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

credits: this goes to the makers of BunsenLabs, for what they did so I could do what I did.  big_smile

Thats it in a nut shell. big_smile I hope you'll enjoy it. 8)

p9rssnmm.png

I'll be updating this post when needed so do come back and check to see if any improvements have been added, as it too relies on the BL team for most of  this as well.

THIS IS FOR UPGRADING CRUNCHBANG Waldorf To BunsenLabs in lue of
having to get rid of your CrunchBang with all of your files, and
programs that you already have installed.

The majority of this script was written by JohnRaff, I just seen
it's potentual then put it to use in using this script to
set the Debian / Crunchbang to an upgrade status so that the
rest of this script will do the rest of the work needed to
do in order to have BunsenLabs installed onto the system, keeping it
as close to a Crunchbang by a different name BunsenLabs as they keep in
compete control of this process within the use of this script.

Unless they make major changes to there script that this is just a copy of
then no real changes are needed to be made to this script.

Because the upgrading and installing of Jessie / openbox and BunsenLabs
process within this script has been written by JonhRaff and not I. 

This has just been modified enough to Upgrade from Waldorf to Jessie
then to BunsenLabs Linux or what ever is current in their git repo.

It has been set as an sub-aplha script by the owner and maintainer of
BunsenLabs git, I have no control over this version control.

It is there work that they have done to make Crunchbang live on as best
to there abilties.

I will try to keep this script as close to there current one as possiable
because this is just a working copy of there script to begin with. I only
added the abiltiy for it to upgrade a wheezy to Jessie then give up the
control to BunsenLabs to do the rest within the script that was written
by BunsenLabs, for test purposes.

Yet BunsenLabs does hold within there git repo a upgrade post install script
(at the writting of this file)
to take the existing test purposes only install then upgrade it to the lastest
BunsenLabs meta packages, incase they update them in the future sence the
time one has already installed there packages onto there system.

In lue of having to run this script all over again making it a redundant
process, a smaller faster script was written by them for the user to be used
for there BunsenLabs meta packages to be upgraded to the latest version,
as everything else that has already been upgrade and is maintained by Debain
Repos.

This is for the ease to install any updates that they have done to anything
that they have written so to keep the "end user" from having to go though the
entire procees again if they where to use the install script instead.

********** FURTHERMORE **********

This script is part of and in relastionship to BunsenLabs / netinstall script.
It is still in the testing phase of their work in hopes of
getting this out distribution out to the public.

Therefore, the upgrading of your product to BunsenLabs is too
now part of the same. Reguardless if they will support you in anything
that may or may not go wrong with your system after the installation of
this sub-alpha Installation / upgrade of their pre-production product.

The stability of your system is now put into the same state
of stability that everything that has any effect on it that uses BunsenLabs to
control said system and has to do with effecting the same said system is now
in the hands of the user of same said system.

I and the the owners and maintainers of same said pre-production product 
BunsenLabs holds no liability to any damage that may or has been done to your
system be it direct or indirectly caused by any software that holds or is
attached to the BunsenLabs "Logo" or anything affiliated with same said product. 

Liability falls to the owner of the same said system that has been effected,
because of the state that BunsenLabs is in. Which is a pre-production release
that is still in the testing phase of it's product.

Therefore the end user of this script or JohnRaffs Script or anything remotely
connected to it that has to do with the BunsenLabs "Logo" and anything that is
associated with it takes full responsibility and all liability for any accured
damages that has or may have been caused by the use of this script, or the
original script in which it came from. Be it monies or loss of data or anything
attached to any damage whatsoever accured by the use of, or any part of this script
the sole liability falls to the owner of same effected system.

By the use of this script or any part of it is an agreement by the user of same said script
in its entirety or any part of it that the user of this same said script or any part of it
has read and understood the terms and conditions of this warnings of the use of said script
and any effects that may occure due to the using of test/experiential
software in connection to the orgainal software that makes up the entire operating system
that may or may not damage it in part or whole.

The user of said script in its entirety or any part of it takes full responsibility and all liability
of any kind. It falls directly onto the end user of said script or any part of it. Reguardless,
if it is damage that is caused by this script or the experiential part of the software that has been
installed by the use of this script or any part of it thereof.

I do hope you get full enjoyment out of your newly remoded Linux if you do so choose to give it a try. smile

Last edited by damo (2015-10-01 20:06:30)

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-05-24 00:38:42

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: Upgrade Crunchbang to BunsenLabs / Jessie sub-alpha

Excellent work -- thank you for your efforts!
smile

I will install #! waldorf on my spare drive and test this tomorrow.

#3 2015-05-24 00:41:33

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Excellent work -- thank you for your efforts!
smile

I will install #! waldorf on my spare drive and test this tomorrow.

Sweet! Let me know how it turns out. I'm chillin' on it right now watching some SG1 - reruns with VLC

thanks!

"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#4 2015-05-25 17:12:54

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

added information to the main post  O:)

#5 2015-05-27 17:15:24

matollik

Succesfully installed Jessie-subafa today. I had no problems with the installation. Only the  blackout of the screen
was somewhat annoying since an approval for further downloaads etc.. was often required.   Quite promising os, I'm exited, thanks.  neutral

#6 2015-05-27 17:22:50

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

matollik wrote:

Succesfully installed Jessie-subafa today. I had no problems with the installation. Only the  blackout of the screen
was somewhat annoying since an approval for further downloaads etc.. was often required.   Quite promising os, I'm exited, thanks.  neutral

Sweet! Happy to hear it. What is this black out you speak of though? the tty went blank???

matollik wrote:

exited

was that exited as in bye bye tongue or excited  as in HAPPY big_smile ?

#7 2015-05-29 13:36:51

matollik

^ Yes that is what I wanted to say, ie the screen of the laptop came blank often   . With Debian nongraphical netinstall this is not case, you can see all the time how far the installing is advanced. Helps a lot.
I should doublecheck my comments. Excited was what was in my mind.  :8

#8 2015-05-29 16:28:27

monsoon

Hey Junkie,

I just finished installation of Waldorf this morning (on my netbook Samsung NC10). Seems to run great so far. I'd like to follow through to the bunsen-labs path and am looking at your path. I went off and downloaded the latest debian netinstall and am preparing to move forward on it but also do not want to make a mistake. Forgive the simple question:

Do I install debian on top of waldorf or as a separate install? I should preface this with I downloaded the iso image from debian. Should I have done something different?

Thanks.

#9 2015-05-29 16:49:57

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

monsoon wrote:

Hey Junkie,

I just finished installation of Waldorf this morning (on my netbook Samsung NC10). Seems to run great so far. I'd like to follow through to the bunsen-labs path and am looking at your path. I went off and downloaded the latest debian netinstall and am preparing to move forward on it but also do not want to make a mistake. Forgive the simple question:

Do I install debian on top of waldorf or as a separate install? I should preface this with I downloaded the iso image from debian. Should I have done something different?

Thanks.

If you want to upgrade Waldorf to Debian 8 with BunsenLabs then do a git pull

wget https://github.com/userx-bw/bunsenlabs-cb-upgrade/archive/master.tar.gz 
 tar -xpf master.tar.gz
 cd bunsenlabs-cb-upgrade-master
 ./install-bl8a

This installation script  upgrades Waldorf to BunsenLabs / which is a derivate of Debian 8. This way you do not have to worry about any of your home files or having to reinstall any other programs you already have installed. They too get upgraded along with this upgrade.

If you want to keep your waldorf install waldorf. and get just Debian 8 with bunsenLabs then just install the netinstall on a different partition then run  ./install-bl8a it is set up to run and install BL from a netinstall as well (I've just never had anyone else test it is all - be fore warned -- -- that is just a legal disclaimer big_smile )  This script is just a modification to the netinstall  so that one can upgrade Waldorf or BunsenLabs it is written to work like that.

extra info:
if you keep waldorf separate then you have to modify your /etc/apt/sources.list and remove or comment out the  waldorf deb line as it does not pull from that repo anymore. This needs to be done before your apt-get update.

if you just want to use your waldorf than take it to Debain 8 with BunsenLabs then just insure you have a connection to the Internet, go to a tty then into the directory then run ./install-bl8a it will change the sources.list to Jessie for you then do everything else except type your password in for you -- you will need to do that at least once at the start then depending on how long it takes as this times out, you will have to re-enter your password accordingly.

when it is done you'll boot into a Jessie 8 / BunsenLabs  OS this way it keeps it as close to Crunchbang as possible with all of Bl's trimmings in a ver 8 Debian piece of cake big_smile

let me know how it turns out
Peace!

PS
it's userx-bw
not junkie big_smile

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-29 19:09:58)

#10 2015-05-29 19:54:10

monsoon

doh!

Sorry about the Junkie moniker. I just caught how the header was presented! I'm following through with your instructions now. Thanks!

#11 2015-05-29 20:00:32

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

monsoon wrote:

doh!

Sorry about the Junkie moniker. I just caught how the header was presented! I'm following through with your instructions now. Thanks!

O Tay New Member bember

ENjoy -- I'm doing the same thing as I write  you this -->  #! striaght to  BL

#12 2015-05-30 01:42:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

userx-bw wrote:

If you want to keep your waldorf install waldorf. and get just Debian 8 with bunsenLabs then just install the netinstall on a different partition then run  ./install-bl8a it is set up to run and install BL from a netinstall as well (I've just never had anyone else test it is all - be fore warned -- -- that is just a legal disclaimer big_smile )

I should point out here that if you want a BunsenLabs install from scratch, ie starting from a Debian Jessie netinstall, then the recommended way is to use the BunsenLabs netinstall script. (There's a guide here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39643 ) That way you'll get the latest bugfixes.

userx-bw's script is to migrate from Crunchbang Waldorf to BunsenLabs.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#13 2015-05-30 18:40:44

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
userx-bw wrote:

If you want to keep your waldorf install waldorf. and get just Debian 8 with bunsenLabs then just install the netinstall on a different partition then run  ./install-bl8a it is set up to run and install BL from a netinstall as well (I've just never had anyone else test it is all - be fore warned -- -- that is just a legal disclaimer big_smile )

I should point out here that if you want a BunsenLabs install from scratch, ie starting from a Debian Jessie netinstall, then the recommended way is to use the BunsenLabs netinstall script. (There's a guide here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39643 ) That way you'll get the latest bugfixes.

userx-bw's script is to migrate from Crunchbang Waldorf to BunsenLabs.

So everybody understands what the differences are between What I am doing with My Script ( lightly modified Johns Script) and Jonh is doing with his script and what is really going, and what really happned to Crunchbang --- Crunchbang is no longer, it is forever gone.

What my script does is it removes Crunchbangs cb-xxx so that BunsenLabs can replace them with theirs, then it upgrades Crunchbang base to Jessie 8. Using the script, everything that is in it that is not Crunchbang is Debian (pure) therefore it is upgraded to the same version apps that Debian upgraded them to in Jessie. Foregoing a Jessie Netinstall.

Then it installs everything BunsenLabs.

As Crunchbang is already half way there if not more into a BunsenLabs already. This make this process an easy merger to BunsenLabs, because it is already a Debian Openbox (only wm) not lxde with openbox, or anything else. It is already set up for this merger to take place from Crunchbang to BunsenLabs.

The only thing that is left to do is. Fix the polkit-1 that is fixed for the auto mounting problem that Crunchbang was having. If one was to just change there sources.list to Jessie then upgrade the base system. Then Crunchbang would lose its automount capabilities. This has been fixed, and the cb-exit too was messed up where only half of it would work. That is fixed with bl-exit.

So now that this is taken care of and it can be upgraded from the base system Debian 7.xxx to 8.0 It then starts on everything else that is BunsenLabs. Everything that they are putting into this system gets installed in to it.

As Crunchbang already has most of this already installed apt-get will mark everything that BunsenLabs script calls to be installed and already has been installed and upgraded as already done. Therefore it flags it as such than skips it, saving time in the install process of there applications that they are having installed. Then it installs the rest of it.

The only real thing left to do is set the system they way that BunsenLabs needs it to be set. This script does that because it is Johns script that I am using. I only modified it so that this can be done with Cruncbang in lue of having to have to format and lose everything you already have set up in your exsiting Crunchbang system. This script too works with a fresh install of Crunchbang to turn it into a BunsenLabs product.

Therefore this all can be done with just this script. The installing and everything else can be done by making all of the adjustments to the system it is being installed on that need to be done so that BunsenLabs can be the final product when the script finishes. Reguardless if you are using it for a Crunchbang upgrade, or a fresh Jessie netinstall. Because of JohnRaff it has already been written into this script by JohnRaff to do. Minus the Crunchbang code that I added to it so that this too will work with Crunchbang.

With having a Crunchbang system already installed. This is keeping whatever you already had while you where using Crunchbang. Minus your menu, as stated prior in the first posting instructions.

After installing the base system and upgrading it. Regardless if it is an netinstall or a Cruncbang Debian upgrade. Everything gets upgraded. Minus the Crunchbang cb-xxxx. That is taken care of by BunsenLabs bl-xxxx.

Then comes the git pull so that the BunsenLabs Customizations can be added. This is a very important part of the process. Because the system relies on some of them to function properly.

The script has the needed programs already installed for git, then after you agree to have this done. Then the script will then pull the needed files from git, build them into debs, then ask you again for permission to install them.

If you agree it will do so.

Then the script installs all the needed BunsenLabs Items then it sets them into place and in order. After that it calls to check and see what else it needs to do in fixing anything that needs to be fix and setting everything to its proper order that needs to be set. ie. user groups, themes, bookmarks etc... , so that the system will look and run accordingly.

Then my script makes a call for a final clean up to ensure that nothing is left in apt-get to remove.  As BunsenLabs still has one more item that the system no longer needs it too removes this as well. while it is removing everything else that will be removed from the upgrading of the base Debian system.

Then and not before then when this is over with it will ask you if you want to reboot or something else, before you get to look at and admire as well as play with and use your newly made BunsenLabs/Debian/GNU/Linux OS or is it GNU/Linux/Debian/BunsenLabs OS? The later I think would be better said.

How ever you slice it, dice it or chop it up. It is an Upgraded Debian 7.x to Debian 8.0 with BunsenLabs Trimmings OS.

(which were cb-xxx upgraded to conform to systemd along with there very own touches that look rather nice in my option) Except for that darn Volume Icon that is just too dark for people to even know it is there big_smile wink

8o 8o 8o  SO YES THIS IS AN UPGRADE CRUNCHBANG TO BunsenLabs SCRIPT 8o 8o 8o

Upgrade

An upgrade is when you reinstall the application using a newer version that has a higher first figure e.g. an upgrade from 1.2.3 to 2.0.0. Upgrades are typically payable and it is safe to assume you should not install a version with higher first figure without confirming your eligibility to such action with our Support team.

If you were asked by CodeTwo Customer Support to reinstall the software with the newest available installer from our website and were not instructed specifically to do an upgrade, please make sure you are using the installer with the same first figure as the version you have purchased your license for, i.e. please perform an update, see below.

Update

An update is when you reinstall the application using a newer version that has the same first figure e.g. an update from 1.2.3 to 1.3.0. Updates are free of charge for all customers – a valid support contract is not necessary.

You should update your installation on regular basis to make sure you always have a version of the software with all new features included and all known bugs removed.

Migration

A migration is when you stop using an application in order to move to another product on preferential terms e.g. you drop CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007 in order to migrate to CodeTwo Exchange Rules PRO. A migration is always payable but priced less than repurchasing.

I thank you and your mother for having you so that you could try this Upgraded Debian 7.x to Debian 8.0 with BunsenLabs Trimings OS.

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  {)  {)  {)  {)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

I pull off his sight and update my script with his to ensure compatibles

worse case scenarios off the top of my head.
after running this script, then just run his script off his sight in the same way from tty then if there are any changes between my script and his script then the last run of his latest script will make up for anything changes that he made to it because this is HIS script to begin with. I just added the ability to upgrade from #! to BL without having to start all over again is all. The only changes you'd have to make to His update brand new script if you so choose to see if this script missed anything and you have not changed all of your home directories yet to reflect Debains Capital letter Directories is add the last line of code that I added so that it will change your bookmarks to the small letter directories.

little hint:
it is the .gtk-bookmarks file in your home directory wink

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-30 20:57:46)

#14 2015-06-01 05:23:56

monsoon

I installed Waldorf fresh on my Samsung NC10 netbook yesterday. After I logged on for the first time, I did not run through the update step (since I was going to be running userx-bw's script. I downloaded the master tarball and after extracting the archive, I ran install-b8. It ran for about 55 minutes and the process asked for my root password three times.

So far things are working like a charm. I love the simplicity of the desktop and the great user interface. It suits me and the netbook perfectly.

Thanks everyone and thanks specifically userx-bw!   8o

#15 2015-06-01 05:34:39

dove
#! CrunchBanger

Are my nvidia drivers on my waldorf going to be a problem? I guess if they are I would just run smxi to fix

#16 2015-06-01 06:29:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

monsoon wrote:

I installed Waldorf fresh on my Samsung NC10 netbook yesterday. After I logged on for the first time, I did not run through the update step (since I was going to be running userx-bw's script. I downloaded the master tarball and after extracting the archive, I ran install-b8.

At the risk of repetition, it is not necessary to install Waldorf and then run userx-bw's script. That script is for upgrading from CrunchBang Waldorf to BunsenLabs. If you are not starting from a pre-existing system you can start from a Debian Jessie netinstall and use the BunsenLabs netinstall script directly from there. That's a cleaner method. A guide: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39643

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#17 2015-06-01 13:48:07

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
monsoon wrote:

I installed Waldorf fresh on my Samsung NC10 netbook yesterday. After I logged on for the first time, I did not run through the update step (since I was going to be running userx-bw's script. I downloaded the master tarball and after extracting the archive, I ran install-b8.

At the risk of repetition, it is not necessary to install Waldorf and then run userx-bw's script. That script is for upgrading from CrunchBang Waldorf to BunsenLabs. If you are not starting from a pre-existing system you can start from a Debian Jessie netinstall and use the BunsenLabs netinstall script directly from there. That's a cleaner method. A guide: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39643

As John has said if you are doing a fresh install of Linux, and are able to run a netinstall to completion then by all means run John's script from his github. By a cleaner install I do think he means a fresh install. not an upgrade where one may have things left over from an upgrade. BTMO

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-06-01 13:52:49)

#18 2015-06-01 20:03:42

monsoon

johnraff wrote:
monsoon wrote:

For clarity... the netbook I started with had a Windows XP on it... I wiped it out in favor of a linux OS.

#19 2015-06-01 20:26:14

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

monsoon wrote:
johnraff wrote:
monsoon wrote:

For clarity... the netbook I started with had a Windows XP on it... I wiped it out in favor of a linux OS.

I am glad that you are now enjoying your new Linux System -- wink Thanks for your support  {)

#20 2015-06-01 20:30:08

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

dove wrote:

Are my nvidia drivers on my waldorf going to be a problem? I guess if they are I would just run smxi to fix

This post marked solved may help you in your decision  [SOLVED] NVIDIA Driver Problems

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=410564

#21 2015-06-03 16:40:19

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Updated Main Post - CMA ~ Legal Stuff wink

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-06-03 16:44:24)

#22 2015-06-09 02:35:56

jphelps@Pixels

I used the userx method (much thanks to Johnraff and the rest of the BL team) and everything looks great. I had one little hickup when my WiFi disconnected in the middle of the script run. I plugged in ethernet, and continued.

I love it!

“On a scale of 1 to extroverted, I’m a 3.14159. So is pi. I network like “the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.” Thanks, Wikipedia!”
― Jarod Kintz

#23 2015-06-10 20:27:41

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

@jphelps@Pixels

Glad to hear you're enjoying your "BRAND NEW" system wink

#24 2015-06-12 05:41:42

rickmetta
Website

Right On!! You've helped me over the first hurdle..../etc/apt/sources.list changes made to Jessie, and now moving to 8.1 (step by step) as the logical process would seem to be.  Again, thanks for your work...and to all of you for real CrunchBangers.  Rock On!! big_smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-07-19 19:27:14

heart1010

Although I selected lightdm slim tried to start at boot... so I had to do a 'systemctl disable slim' to avoid that slim tries to start on a boot.

Board footer