SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-21 21:40:42

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

to BunsenLab Developers

Almost good news: but it  has the potential to be good news. 

Reguarding your install script as it sits right now:

I tried to install BunsenLabs from an upgrade straight from Crunchbang. first upgrading it to Debian 8 by using the sources.list repos to jessie. then going to tty by using Cltr + Alt + F4 then removing the needed files to take it back down to where your script would run like I just did a netinstall with the bare essentials needed to run your script. ( I do suppose as I have not ever done a netinstall to know for sure)

removed:

openbox, xorg, desktop, desktop-base, x11-common

then I did an

apt-get update, upgrade, then autoremove

that removed everything else. This made it possible to use your install script on tty . I am using wifi at a coffee shop that does not require a new login every time it is rebooted. Long in once and it stays logged in. Furthermore, as my network drivers where already installed and locked on to the wifi, I did not have to worry about installing that again, nor did I reboot during this process, just to keep it in a stable state while removing then installing your "OS".

The script ran with only two errors.

line 72  permission denied

some log file then the next line was asking if I wanted to delete it. I picked yes.

then it ran doing everything it needed to do. Somewhere in there after your script ran a apt-get update it started showing, config-packager-dev not needed. No big deal. then the only next error I got was with compton.

/usr/share/man/man1/compton.1.gz

it would not install at all. I completed the script, telling it to do so. when I got into the openbox the first time I seen I had forgotten to remove my autostart, and menu, and tint2 files. SO it looked just like I left it. LOL

So I back them files up to get them out of the way. removed everything again like before, then ran your script again.

but before that I did an apt-get remove compton. Apt-Get told me that compton was not installed. and kept telling me to -f install. that your pipe-menu depended on it (desperately) smile . I apt-get remove Bunsen-pipe-menus then tried to install compton again, it kept giving me a it will not conflic error saying there was one already in /usr/share/man/man1/ for git something something, should of wrote that down.

I foundit in /bin rm it then ran your script again after I removed all of the prior said stuff again. 

The very same two errors, and the no need of config-packager-dev repeated itself. This time I stopped your script, rm /usr/share/man/man1/compton.1.gz. made sure it was not even in there. apt-get still cried babyed for me to -f install. I apt-get removed bunsen-pipe-menus instead. 

then I ran into trouble trying to remove everything again. So I just gave up and ran your script again. when it gave me that warning I got some windows eneviroment already installed, I just picked go a head and install anyways.

It ran without problems until it got to it trying to install compton again. that was a no go. so I let it finish, then reboot. this time it gave me a blank (light black) screen, could be your wallpaper as that is all that it is, I looked in the directory you keep it in before running your script, and I got a basic menu w/ a piped Debian menu.

I know you have your disclaimer no tech support on this. But if this can be figured out, then this may open a new avenue for your BunsenLabs to get installed onto an existing Crunchbang without having to go through a fresh netinstall. 

as far as the existing applactions that people have already installed on there systems being able to stay there during this process, to show up in your pipe menu I don't know as I removed all of mine before hand out of precaution to just see what your script would do first. that being a second thought that I just had.

in theroy: if they already have openbox and xwindows installed when they run your script, then as it did with me it just skipped over it, with apt-get it seen it was already installed along with everything else that was already installed from a prior run of your script telling apt-get what to get to install. it is not needed, no foul no harm, it just skips it.

If the person already has all of the apps your install uses already installed, as I do not know if you changed any from Crunchbang, then in theory this too will work as far as the base system. it will / should just skip over them not pulling them down to be installed.

Again, not knowing if your pipe menu will pick up what other outside applications that are already installed along with what your script has installed too. If your pipe menu does a final update before rebooting then  everything they already had installed, there personal applecations that they love to use will / should then be added to your menu as that is the only thing left for your pipe menu to do. All they had to do was cross over into BunsenLabs land then they be in like flint, or bobs your uncle.

edit 1:

as far as functionality of the system itself I have not tested it yet, as I just thought I'd share that exciting news with you first - as well as I'd actually need a complete install to test its functionality, though I am seeing a basic exit window just like a standard openbox install with debian 8 that just takes you out of the session, to shutdown and restart has to be done outside of the openbox session

Edit 2:
Forgot yo add this part:
In Theroy: if you, who ever is doing the script or that part of it that installs compton fixes this error, then:

if this works, then the OP can then have two options available.
Senerio One:

before upgrading to Jessie to make it compatiable with your script, the OP can remove the windows enviroment first. saving time in upgrading the system first, just do the upgrade in tty. then run your script afterwards. big_smile Bobs your Uncle. big_smile

Senerio Two:

If your script runs without error and all it is doing is skipping pulling down the required deb files to install the xwindows and WM (openbox) and what ever other else it installs, then it should be a quicker install. All it has left to do is pull your stuff, compile it and install it, then reboot. BOOM DONE DEAL 

no need to lose all of what ever apps they already have only to have to reinstall them again, all the OP has to do is upgrade from Crunchbang to Jessie then run your script to finish it. 
Then not only is Bob your uncle but Sally is now your aunt too  big_smile  big_smile  8)

either way your script is now appliable to all three senerio's from an upgrade to a fresh netinstall of Debian 8. smile

edit 3:

another thought just came to mind. If I am correct your script checks the sources.list, then it changes it if it does not match by over writing it, replacing it with the one that is needed, as I remember seeing something saying the file matched. I think it was the sources.list .... went by really fast --- wasn't really trying to read every line

But, If this is the case then the OP should in theory be able to just be in Crunchbang. Switch to tty, then just run your script, it then should upgrade to Jessie then install all of your stuff too, all in one shot. so now not only is Bob your uncle and Sally is your Aunt But little Betty is now your Niece too wink big_smile  cool

maybe it would not even matter as long as they have a Debian based install, you could write it to just install it as another WM and have it added to the sessions list. What, that's like 5 lines of code  wink right? big_smile

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-22 00:03:08)

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-05-22 02:22:25

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Re: to BunsenLab Developers

getting late here: I'll try not to hurry too much in writing this.

Just got done running your script in a fresh install of crunchbang. everything ran smoothly, except for the very same errors. It updated Crunchbang the checked the sources.list changed it to Jessie sources, then upgraded again, a wasted step that could be taken out IMHO. have it check sources.list first before first apt-get update, then it can skip having to dist-upgrade twice. as the finall upgrade will always over ride the first one, therefore making that first dist-upgrade obsolete. just have it replace the sources.list first then update then dist-upgrade.

Unless the script writter has a different logic as to why he checks twice then upgrades twice.

Autostart ,  menu.xml and rc.xml not present in local OP .config/openbox  -- must be using system wide files.

this time it gave me the choise of SLiM or LightDM when upgrading picked LightDM

then when it got to your stuff compton again failed to install, picked yes to keep going until it completed the install then reboot. This was done to complete the install to see what it left me with.

same openbox with nothing but the right click menu with debian pipe menu.

no BL stuff showing at all.

it is almost there for use as an upgrade from Crunchbang even as far as I can see -- just the compton install is the only thing I see preventing it from completing properly so it can get a good soild install from Crunchbang.

Figure out that compton snag then I could tell you more. if you'd like to see the logs I have NP in posting them for you to look at.

tomorrow maybe I install other apps to see if the menu will pick them up and put them into the menu, from a cold fresh install of Crunchbang with added apps outisde of standard install apps

Night -- ttl cool

"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#3 2015-05-22 03:52:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sorry userx-bw, but as we said the script is only meant to install from a new netinstall Debian Jessie. It's for testing BunsenLabs, it's not meant as a tool for users at this point. That will probably come later.

A script to upgrade from CrunchBang Waldorf to BunsenLabs Hydrogen is an interesting idea which might also come later, when BunsenLabs itself is finished.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#4 2015-05-22 12:33:48

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

Sorry userx-bw, but as we said the script is only meant to install from a new netinstall Debian Jessie. It's for testing BunsenLabs, it's not meant as a tool for users at this point. That will probably come later.

A script to upgrade from CrunchBang Waldorf to BunsenLabs Hydrogen is an interesting idea which might also come later, when BunsenLabs itself is finished.

That was basicly what I was trying to show all of you what you already had in the workings even though as you stated, this is a Netinstall only script. As Debian 8 is capabe of upgrading from Debian 7. As you already know what is being done, just a cold fresh start with Debain 8, then working in your BL Customizations.

Seeings that Debian does not have a openbox only install package (iso) already having one installed on the system eliminates what part of your script does, installs just open box and tint2, they are already there.

It shouldn't be a long work out to get it up and running, and working too. It's already at least a little over half way there as it stands.

As I stated it stops that step of people that have Crunchbang installed already from having to reinstall everything all over again. If they have not seperated there / and /home that means major back ups if they are not one to do that, and all the work that is invauled in having to start all over again will be eliminated. thus the protentual for others to want to move on over to your install that more appealing.

Didn't mean to try and make you bite off more then you can chew  8o

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-22 13:10:36)

#5 2015-05-23 00:28:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

As I said, it might be possible but right now I don't feel like putting time into it. Sorry.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#6 2015-05-24 19:24:54

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

As I said, it might be possible but right now I don't feel like putting time into it. Sorry.

Sorry -- didn't mean to get lines crossed, whence someone explained to me you're a busy man. So I went ahead and I did it myself. I didn't want to take away form you is all. I hope others try to use enjoy it,  hopefully --

I did a upgrade from both a fresh install of #! without the updates, and #! with update prior to upgrade as well as other appications installed and all that, it works on my system fine -- Just need to get others to test it too. I only got one laptop. big_smile
Peace and enjoy your day as best you can  smile

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-24 19:32:03)

Board footer