SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-18 15:13:03

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

{SOVLED} how do I -> spanning the Home partition over two Hard Drives

I have a thought, it is just a thought that has not been put into action.

I've been reading a little on it and have yet to find the real answer to this quesiton to either put this thought to rest or into action.

spanning two seperate Hard Drives with one home directory. I got two hard drives on this Laptop, one got Windows, the other Got Linux. get rid of windows or use what Hard drive space that WIndows is not using and put it to use for Linux in a Home DIrectory.

probally the later idea. How to do that?

is there somekind of linking involved, soft or hard linking as I think it is called?

Someting I've not done yet, linked files or directories "together". That is like a relitive pointer to an area thing?

Anyways I think it is like no matter when I put something into my Home directory reguarless of what hard dive it goes to the system will know where it is at. but i won't?

how does one keep it so that when I'd save to the home directory of only one user (me) how I'd know where it really is, which Hard Drive, and the system would too know, Reguardless of what hard drive it is really on. still only having to deal with using the one /HOME directory for both hard drives.

is that even feasible?

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-21 13:13:03)

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-05-18 15:21:58

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: {SOVLED} how do I -> spanning the Home partition over two Hard Drives

Better idea is to keep Linux as it is and format the "Windows" HDD  as a linux data partition to be mounted by the user.

I have a very small / = 20GB and /home = 20GB but /media/5 is ±200GB and has all my stuff; wallpapers, documents videos, photos, conkys (well most) etc and THAT is mountable by all distros installed.

It's not a good idea to use one /home for multiple distros - config files vary.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#3 2015-05-18 15:34:30

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Use either LVM or BTRFS
https://wiki.debian.org/LVM
https://wiki.debian.org/Btrfs

LVM is mature and well tested so should be reliable; BTRFS less so.

#4 2015-05-18 15:36:56

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

OOPS!  Was I wrong with: It's not a good idea to use one /home for multiple distros - config files vary.

Or did I miss read something?

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#5 2015-05-18 15:41:38

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Sector11 wrote:

Was I wrong with: It's not a good idea to use one /home for multiple distros - config files vary.

Not at all -- I would agree with that 100%

EDIT: The OP's post was a bit tl;dr -- I was basing my reply on the thread title alone TBH...

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-05-18 15:42:40)

#6 2015-05-18 16:02:13

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Use either LVM or BTRFS
https://wiki.debian.org/LVM
https://wiki.debian.org/Btrfs

LVM is mature and well tested so should be reliable; BTRFS less so.

Use a LVM logical volume spanning two physical volumes. A physical volume can be any block device, be it a partition or an entire hard drive. Using BTRFS for important stuff is still silly, IMHO. In particular in conjunction with systemd, there have been quite a number of lock-up bugs.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#7 2015-05-18 16:06:07

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

twoion wrote:

Using BTRFS for important stuff is still silly, IMHO. In particular in conjunction with systemd, there have been quite a number of lock-up bugs.

Yes, I would agree with that -- I was just setting out all the options.

The BTRFS developers have officially marked the project "stable" but they do recommend using the latest upstream kernel release possible and this doesn't really apply to Debian Stable.
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php … ity_status

EDIT: FWIW, @ratcheer has been using BTRFS for a while and he says it's been quite reliable (in Arch).

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-05-18 16:09:34)

#8 2015-05-18 16:06:22

PackRat
#! Die Hard

how does one keep it so that when I'd save to the home directory of only one user (me) how I'd know where it really is,

If it's important that you know which drive you're saving file to, then go with S11's advice and and create a data storage partition on the drive and have it mounted at boot time. You can then just save your files to that partition, or actually create a symlink to the partition and and mount it to a directory in your /home/<username>. There are a couple threads in this forum on how to go about doing either.

If you want to expand your /home partition across multiple drives you can go the LVM or BTRFS route.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#9 2015-05-18 16:23:14

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

PackRat wrote:

how does one keep it so that when I'd save to the home directory of only one user (me) how I'd know where it really is,

If it's important that you know which drive you're saving file to, then go with S11's advice and and create a data storage partition on the drive and have it mounted at boot time. You can then just save your files to that partition, or actually create a symlink to the partition and and mount it to a directory in your /home/<username>. There are a couple threads in this forum on how to go about doing either.

If you want to expand your /home partition across multiple drives you can go the LVM or BTRFS route.

@Head_on_a_Stick
@Sector11

that thought of how do I know where the files are at in one Home Directory thought came to me as I was writting this question on how to extend the /Home Dir on two ( or more ) Hard Drives.

Just given my experience and it would be nice to know where that files really is in them just in case senieros that question of how do I know came to mind -- in wanting to make use of this Windows Hard Drive in perhaps lue of getting rid of WIndows all together, because from time to time I do find myself needing to use windows for something. Yet I still have all of that space left over on that hard drive not being used. It is just sitting there doing nothing but not being used, and proablly never will be used because I find myself on Linux more then Windows.

So I am still chewing on that thought of wanting to get rid of Windows all together and just using both Hard Drives on this Laptop or just one and putting the CD/DVD back in, but never really use so that is a waste of thing, better to keep both Hard Drives in the laptop and use them both for storage with just what space I need for the Operating System on a seperate partiton mounted to root /  point

but becase I do find myself using Windows every so often I'd hate to get rid of it only to wish I hadn't so then it goes back to all of the unused space on that hard drive I could use in Linux

just trying to gather my options I guess while  I chew on this idea  and try to hash it out in my head  big_smile

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-18 16:25:18)

"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#10 2015-05-18 18:02:15

pingu
#! Junkie

edit: i just realized hat there were better answers than mine above (namely hoas and twoin)

Last edited by pingu (2015-05-18 18:24:16)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#11 2015-05-19 13:32:07

PackRat
#! Die Hard

I got two hard drives on this Laptop

you actually have two hard drives on a laptop - if so, what model laptop is it?

but becase I do find myself using Windows every so often I'd hate to get rid of it only to wish I hadn't

if that is the case, you may be better off to shrink your windows partition (always a bit of risk, back up your files) to a size that fits your needs then create a new partition from the remaining space for use as a data storage partition. Format it as ntfs or FAT32 and it will be available to either operating system if you need that capability.

Last edited by PackRat (2015-05-19 13:32:56)

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#12 2015-05-19 13:55:39

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

PackRat wrote:
userx-bw wrote:

I got two hard drives on this Laptop

PR said in writting:
you actually have two hard drives on a laptop - if so, what model laptop is it?

HP EliteBook 6930p Intel 2 (vPro) Duo CPU T9550 @ 2.66 GHz  [$50 pawn shop steal] the CD/DVD is interchangeable to use it for a extra HDD Bay -- I picked up an 2.5" Hard Drive to DVD bay adapter and a USB adapter for the DVD Drive so I can still use it when I need to by just plugging it into the USB Port off of Amazon for a few bucks out of China

I do know this guy that has a full size Lap top (2) and they both have a compartment for an extra HDD. giving him two HDD's as well. I was amazed to see two HDD's in a laptop too. before I found this one.  It's a nice option to have. Just setup in BIOS what HDD you want it to boot off of.

with GRUB it takes care of that giving both OS's to choose from for booting no sweat.

but because I do find myself using Windows every so often I'd hate to get rid of it only to wish I hadn't

if that is the case, you may be better off to shrink your windows partition (always a bit of risk, back up your files) to a size that fits your needs then create a new partition from the remaining space for use as a data storage partition. Format it as ntfs or FAT32 and it will be available to either operating system if you need that capability.

that's what I've been thinking as I have already gained experience in Partition Magic (freeeee SoftWare to resize a disk) I do think that is a better choice to do it that way using it as a separate partition instead of having to go into windows/user/username/Documents/ or what ever directory that user is set up for to put and get things

Just resize it down to the bare minimum for Windows to use taking in account it swap/page file size it likes to use on the fly. Which should not be that much if I am not using it for much of anything.

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-19 13:58:50)

#13 2015-05-21 02:09:16

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

@Head_on_a_Stick
or anyone that knows too -- He seems to love a chalenge  so I gave him first crack

O' tay

I just slippped a 1TB HDD into my laptop (removing my windows one) Installed Crunchbang on that one 2.
now I got 2 copies of #! on my Laptop big_smile dubble crunching big_smile I got both systems split in two / and /home on the both of them.

as I'd like/want to use one as a my system and the other as a experementaion system - keeping home for files.

Problem one:

Grub:

it is installed on /dev/sdb with the two systems showing in it so it boots both
I already did

sudo install-grub /dev/sda
sudo update grub

so I could get it to change the default boot  order I just tried installing it on /dev/sda first hoping it'd just change it giving me the boot order of /dev/sda then  /dev/sdb to the second option. It didn't work. it is still using grub on /dev/sdb to boot off of defaulting to /dev/sdb then /dev/sda

HOW do I change the default order to just switch all of that around, them both lines normal boot and the fix me boot lines so they'll still corraspond?

BL - netinstall - script --

all that I can find on this how to's is just the part where you install debian netinstall the very basics then nano the network hook up back in so I can (try) to get internet wifi again.

but then it goes dead -- I have not found a step by step on how to make that script that I have not looked at yet to work .. so tell me if I am wrong.

just somehow have it already on the USB Stick then copy it from there onto the home directory then chmod +x it then run it after I've verified wifi connection?

then just take a nap because it will run error free ???? then wake up to a new install of BL? big_smile

#14 2015-05-21 06:48:52

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

For GRUB, just edit the file at /etc/default/grub in whichever system is "controlling" the bootloader and change the "GRUB_DEFAULT=" line  -- you can use the number of the menu entry (the first entry is "0") or the name (in quotation marks);.

Then run:

sudo update-grub

If I am installing a secondary system, I always make sure that no bootloader is installed & just run `update-grub` from the primary system afterwards to generate the menu entry for the new system.

I can make no sense whatsoever of your second question...

Please start a new thread for this question (for the benefit of others) and be sure to use a descriptive thread title.

Before you do that, read these guides:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/help_vampire.htm

#15 2015-05-21 13:01:25

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

For GRUB, just edit the file at /etc/default/grub in whichever system is "controlling" the bootloader and change the "GRUB_DEFAULT=" line  -- you can use the number of the menu entry (the first entry is "0") or the name (in quotation marks);.

Then run:

sudo update-grub

If I am installing a secondary system, I always make sure that no bootloader is installed & just run `update-grub` from the primary system afterwards to generate the menu entry for the new system.

I can make no sense whatsoever of your second question...

Please start a new thread for this question (for the benefit of others) and be sure to use a descriptive thread title.

Before you do that, read these guides:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/help_vampire.htm

That is what is suppose to be going on here in theory by what I was doing. The secondary effect in what I did should have taken care of all of this.

By using the second system installed onto the PC (laptop) to install grub then grub update it should have made it the primary system by default. Thus changing the boot order in the list automatically.

What I did was install grub onto /dev/sdb so I could take out the windows HDD and still have it boot with grub, because it is now installed on the remanding hard drive that Linux is on which is /dev/sdb (the second one). no longer having to even worry that it says Windows as the other option to boot to becuase I'd not be using it anyways. As a precaution to insure that grub was on the system to cover the “just in case scenario”

Then I put a new HDD into /dev/sda installed Linux again on that one. Shooting in the dark I left the first one alone. Just to see what would happen. Then I set up my partitions for the new hard drive. installed. then installed grub onto /dev/sda with the secondary system lord so that it in theory it would take over and become the primary system lord. Then it'd have changed the boot order automatically by default.  The coup that was planned would have in fact taken place. 

Simply because it was the system used to install Grub last therefore it is now the primary, and no longer the secondary.

I just had a thought: 8) it just came to mind in writing this.  yikes

If I'd over written grub by installing grub onto /dev/sdb instead being that is the grub that the whole system is using to boot off of, then the secondary system that is installed on /dev/sda  (first hard drive) in theory would have over taken the system lord by taking possesion of the systems lords headquarters stationed in grub bay located on /dev/sdb, and not /dev/sda . therefore the process of making it the new primary system lord would have taken place. Simpley because it'd have no choice but to do so,  then by default what was once primary, would have become secondary.

ending up with the boot order as such.
/dev/sda
/dev/sdb

then the secondary system lord that is now the primary system lord, and visa a versa in theory would have automatically changed the list seen on the screen to reflect the same. Letting the OP and the rest of the world know that he is now in power. Done deal 8)

there is logic in that. 8)

Let me go punch that into the term and see what happens brb

Dear Sir. HOaS

I am happy to report back that the system lord has been over taken and the coup was successful. A new system load has been installed and my theroy has proved true. therefore no longer making it a theory but fact.

thanks you with a gobblet of stewed Hops and berries.  wink

it was late, I was in a hurry, time factors in, or a lact thereof, makes man make mistakes, hinders his abilities to think clearly when using logic with trial and error scenarios. As mans laws clearly states. "When all else fails - read the instructions" big_smile Luckly no children where hurt in this experiment and I didn't have to read the instructions  lol

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-21 13:52:50)

Board footer