SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2015-07-21 04:41:44

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Re: Sub-alpha BunsenLabs netinstall script

@farmer:  Pat on the back for taking the time to figure the bug out and then posting in detail in this thread.  Thank you!  I'm planning to install BL on another partition on my desktop computer with the intention of tracking Sid/Unstable and your find might help me out.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#102 2015-07-21 14:14:22

farmer

KrunchTime wrote:

@farmer:  Pat on the back for taking the time to figure the bug out and then posting in detail in this thread.  Thank you!  I'm planning to install BL on another partition on my desktop computer with the intention of tracking Sid/Unstable and your find might help me out.

You are most welcome!  I am thankful that it may be of some help.   :-}.

#103 2015-07-21 23:48:37

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

I've successfully installed BL and then changed the repos to Unstable without any major issues.  The install script did stop when trying to install the developer tools.  However, I just restarted and the script completed just fine.

Great work to all the developers.  The next test will be to run the update script under Unstable.  I ran the update script just prior to changing the repos and performing a dist-upgrade.

@farmer:  I actually encountered the very error you mentioned today while setting up my BL-Unstable instance.  However, my machine rebooted just fine after completion of the netinstall script.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-07-21 23:50:39)

Linux User #586672

#104 2015-07-22 01:38:17

farmer

KrunchTime wrote:

@farmer:  I actually encountered the very error you mentioned today while setting up my BL-Unstable instance.  However, my machine rebooted just fine after completion of the netinstall script.

I found that it would reboot without difficulty the first time, but it was always the second time I booted that I had trouble (I experienced this problem more than once as I had to reinstall BL a number of times for various reasons).

Incidentally, I installed BL on my second machine yesterday and received the same error (I knew johnraff was gone a few days so I didn't expect there to be a fix yet).  I rebooted before I applied my own fix and it booted into BL.  However, I didn't want to take a chance that it wouldn't boot the next time around so I applied the fix I suggested and haven't had any difficulty with it.

#105 2015-07-22 08:35:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

farmer wrote:

using the debian netinstall => bunsen-netinstall method I ran into an error with the  update-alternatives grub.
1.  dmz-cursor-theme and desktop-base pkgs were removed from the default bunsenlabs install.
2.  The bunsen-netinstall script runs update-alternatives grub (or whatever the command is exactly) and

---

Suggestion:
11.  Fix the script to create the /usr/share/images/desktop-base  before running update-alternatives

This has now been done, but the commands have been commented-out, because the new version of bunsen-images which the netinstall pulls in should handle that by itself!

Thanks again farmer for pointing this out, and
please (anyone) post again if that problem seems to persist...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#106 2015-07-22 16:49:52

farmer

johnraff wrote:

Thanks again farmer for pointing this out

You are welcome!  I am glad that I could make a small contribution to a great distribution. 
Keep up the excellent work!  Thank you for doing it!

#107 2015-08-04 08:05:01

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

I installed BL using the net install option on my laptop under two different partitions (one for tracking Unstable) two days ago.  I had to run the BL script twice on both installs.  My laptop doesn't have a dedicated ethernet port, so I use a USB ethernet dongle.  It seems that at some point the /etc/network/interfaces file got hosed up and I lost my ethernet connectivity.  Luckily, I've tinkered with the /etc/network/interfaces file in the past and knew how to correct the issue.  For the benefit of other users, if you run into this problem, edit /etc/network/interfaces and add the following lines:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Save your changes and reboot.  Then rerun the BL install script again.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-08-05 04:07:21)

Linux User #586672

#108 2015-08-06 06:48:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thank you for the workaround KrunchTime.

Is it possible to edit etc/network/interfaces before running the netinstall script to save having to run it twice?

EDIT: come to think of it, is it after the netinstall script has finished that /etc/network/interfaces gets messed up? If so, that would sound a bit like a problem that came up with wireless on the cb-netinstall: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 74#p372874

Last edited by johnraff (2015-08-06 07:41:30)

John
--------------------

#109 2015-08-07 02:13:25

StrangeCrunch

Hey guys,  sorry I am confused.  Maybe it's just too late for me in the day, but I don't seem to be able to figure out whether installing via the netinstall script method is still a viiable option or if people should just go with the .iso alpha files? Also in what way does the repository work with the netinstall or does the netinstall still build a local repository and builds packages locally?

I want to continue my PPC efforts with bunsenlabs, but of course the .iso won't work for that purpose.

I sincerely hope this question was not asked before, if it did my apologies.

Thanks,

Strange

Dell D630, Crunchbang 11

#110 2015-08-07 08:33:38

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@johnraff:  The hiccup occured while running the BL install script.  I should still have the script log, but keep forgetting to check it to see what might have occurred.  I'm thinking it had something to do with using an ethernet USB dongle.

@StrangeCrunch:  IMO, I say go the net install route.  I think the ISO is still a work in progress.    You could also have a look at this thread concerning issues with the ISO.  I've performed 4 BL net installs now and have only experienced very minor hiccups.  Of course, a newbie might get tripped up by such hiccups.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-08-07 08:38:42)

Linux User #586672

#111 2015-08-08 08:12:15

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@johnraff:  I checked the net install logs for both installs and I'm not seeing anything that really stands out.  I still say it had something to do with using an ethernet USB dongle.

Linux User #586672

#112 2015-08-08 08:59:01

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Do you think there's something the script can do to help? I'm open to suggestions.

John
--------------------

#113 2015-08-08 09:56:08

smacz
#! Junkie

@StrangeCrunch see my post here

#114 2015-08-09 19:38:03

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

^Do you think there's something the script can do to help? I'm open to suggestions.

Without knowing exactly what happened, it's rather difficult to make a suggestion, but I appreciate your offer.

Linux User #586672

#115 2015-08-13 04:25:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

UPDATE

I've now renamed it as a beta script because twoion's new repository lets us skip all that GitHub building. The new version just downloads the packages directly. There is a script bl-github-upgrade packaged with it, to get the very latest packages from github in case the repository has got a bit behind, but that will probably seldom be needed.

The network installation should probably take less time now, though of course an .iso is quickest.

John
--------------------

#116 2015-08-13 11:31:15

redcollective

Hi John ,

Sorry for the noobish question, but should we wget the script package again, then do the install again on an existing bunsenlabs netinstall, or will the script update itself?

Red.

[Edit: typo]

Last edited by redcollective (2015-08-13 19:02:30)

#117 2015-08-13 21:38:09

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:

UPDATE

I've now renamed it as a beta script because twoion's new repository lets us skip all that GitHub building. The new version just downloads the packages directly. There is a script bl-github-upgrade packaged with it, to get the very latest packages from github in case the repository has got a bit behind, but that will probably seldom be needed.

The network installation should probably take less time now, though of course an .iso is quickest.

John,
Is this means that we wouldn't need the bunsen packages from github any more, when the iso is around?
I've used crunchbang sometime ago, from time to time, so I know something about it, even though it was never my main distribution. I also looked in all your scripts at bunsenlabs github, so I have a feeling you are right in saying the bunsen github packages are no more needed..

#118 2015-08-14 02:51:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

redcollective wrote:

should we wget the script package again, then do the install again on an existing bunsenlabs netinstall, or will the script update itself?

If your BunsenLabs netinstall is working OK there's no need to run the script again. It has served its purpose.

OTOH you will want to add the new BunsenLabs repositories to your Apt sources, to get upgraded packages. See here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39993

John
--------------------

#119 2015-08-14 02:55:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ostrolk wrote:

Is this means that we wouldn't need the bunsen packages from github any more, when the iso is around?
I've used crunchbang sometime ago, from time to time, so I know something about it, even though it was never my main distribution. I also looked in all your scripts at bunsenlabs github, so I have a feeling you are right in saying the bunsen github packages are no more needed..

It means you don't need to build packages from the GitHub repository any more, because the packages on the iso and in the Debian repository have already been built from there. GitHub is still the place where our packages are developed, so if you want the very latest version of something you can still get it there.

John
--------------------

#120 2015-08-14 08:05:25

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

It means you don't need to build packages from the GitHub repository any more, because the packages on the iso and in the Debian repository have already been built from there. GitHub is still the place where our packages are developed, so if you want the very latest version of something you can still get it there.

I asked because the philosophy of bunsenlabs differs from crunchbang, i.e, netinstall against live iso. Crunchbang was never released as a netinstall. The cb-metapackage held the recommends and installed crunchbang for corenominal for the release. In the bunsen way, we install bunsenlabs ourselves through netinstall script. So, should you (we) make a bunsen-metapackage for the netinstall now?

In you netinstall script, the recommends and no-recommends apps are simply pulled from the debian repos, only the bunsen packages are built to deb packages.

#121 2015-08-14 08:56:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

John
--------------------

#122 2015-08-14 11:24:25

ostrołęk
CB Member

Thank you, John. smile
I shall go through the first 2 links (and links from them) and come back. I am more interested in your netinstall script and the thinking behind it.

Coming back;
How do I stop the script while it is working and edit the list of apps in the pkgs-recs and pkgs-norecs?

Last edited by ostrołęk (2015-08-14 13:37:23)

#123 2015-08-14 18:47:41

damo
#! gimpbanger

ostrolk wrote:

I asked because the philosophy of bunsenlabs differs from crunchbang, i.e, netinstall against live iso. Crunchbang was never released as a netinstall. The cb-metapackage held the recommends and installed crunchbang for corenominal for the release. In the bunsen way, we install bunsenlabs ourselves through netinstall script. So, should you (we) make a bunsen-metapackage for the netinstall now?

In you netinstall script, the recommends and no-recommends apps are simply pulled from the debian repos, only the bunsen packages are built to deb packages.

The netinstall method is a way to build a BunsenLabs system from scratch, and was developed for testing until an iso was released. There is now a Release Candidate live iso available, but development is still continuing and the netinstall scripts can still be used to install or update the system.

Actually, continuing the "philosophy" of Crunchbang is the prime motive for producing BunsenLabs. The methods of developing and releasing have differed for purely pragmatic reasons, but the final product is intended to be the "community continuation of Crunchbang".

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#124 2015-08-14 19:01:03

redcollective

damo wrote:

The netinstall method is a way to build a BunsenLabs system from scratch, and was developed for testing until an iso was released. There is now a Release Candidate live iso available, but development is still continuing and the netinstall scripts can still be used to install or update the system.

Actually, continuing the "philosophy" of Crunchbang is the prime motive for producing BunsenLabs. The methods of developing and releasing have differed for purely pragmatic reasons, but the final product is intended to be the "community continuation of Crunchbang".

+1 for keeping the netinstall forever. It's great. The debian netinstall gives you a reliable, known installation - the bunsenlabs script is icing on the cake and could be one of the things that makes this distro stand out from the crowd (though I don't think it will need much help demonstrating it's value).

Imagine a bunsenlabs future where the desktop  is a platform agnostic experience. Install your distro (say arch, debian or ubuntu, for example), then wget the bunsenlabs script.

sigh... a beardy old geek can dream...

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#125 2015-08-14 20:40:44

ostrołęk
CB Member

damo wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

Going through John's links, I wanted to find out how to stop the install script to edit the pkgs-recs and pkgs-norecs, and while waiting for John's reply, I read on. (I cannot code, but I understand the idea.) I found a way out reading John's clear posts and scripts. I don't have to automate my install, but use the idea to install packages, either recommends or no-recommends from Debian repos the normal way, then install whatever from the bunsen packages. This way, for example I could install slim, rather than lightdm and spacefm, instead of thunar+catfish etc.  I still have to wait quite a while, even if I let the script automate the install, or manually install the apps. (The manual install is much more interesting than waiting something to happen quietly.) I am going to check the bunsen packages in the github to see what I want from them. I'd still await John's reply, before I start this endeavor. 

@redcollective,

Imagine a bunsenlabs future where the desktop  is a platform agnostic experience. Install your distro (say arch, debian or ubuntu, for example), then wget the bunsenlabs script.

I think you'd find the answer here on platform agnostic matter.

# check debian version FIXME Is /etc/debian_version the best way?
grep -q '\(jessie\|\(^\|[^a-zA-Z0-9.]\)8\($\|[^a-zA-Z0-9]\)\)' /etc/debian_version && msg "Debian version: OK"|| { warnlog "/etc/debian_version reads: $(cat /etc/debian_version)"

@damo
Reading your post again, I would like to notice that the existing alpha2 live iso is not the same as what you'd get with netinstall, has different apps and doesn't have the Debian's efi support. John's netinstall script doesn't care about that. I think you can install straight from stretch or sid too.

Last edited by ostrołęk (2015-08-14 21:57:52)

Board footer