SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-05-18 02:44:03

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Sub-alpha BunsenLabs netinstall script

pingu wrote:

I installed with debootstrap but couldnt run the script from chroot even though I was chrooting as the user, and running the script from the user directory. ??? weird, so I'm rebooting.

dex@r2d2:/home/dex/bunsen-netinstall-master$ ./install 
######## ERROR ########
    This script should be run by a normal user, not root
------------------------------------------------
now exiting...
dex@r2d2:/home/dex/bunsen-netinstall-master$ 

(edit: I bet Chuck Norris runs as root)

qw6ZFLas.jpg

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2015-05-18 02:52:33

pingu
#! Junkie

dex@r2d2:/home/dex/bunsen-netinstall-master$ ./install 
./install: line 41: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
[3;J
Hi root, welcome to the netinstall script!

cough cough
]:D
I rebooted but no wpa_supplicant yet so I had to come back to the chroot and decided to "hack" his script  by editing 2 lines out.. I hope everything goes alright and nothing explodes. 8o

edit: didnt work.. more lines to edit.. gave up...  installing connman so I can reboot. and run the script. who am I to think I was chuck norris... roll

Last edited by pingu (2015-05-18 03:03:00)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#28 2015-05-18 10:24:59

pingu
#! Junkie

Ok. Finally done. nice scritpts smile. My first attempt failed because I hadd connman installed. It didnt' install network-manager, but also a bunch of other packages.  I Installed nm and tried again and it all went well.  8o

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it adds debian-multimedia with contrib, but there's no contrib (http://www.deb-multimedia.org/) so it causes apt to spit out an error, but at that time it can keep going if you press enter. However if you exit and restart the script it will then exit at the same apt-get update error; then you would have to edit out the contrib, start the script, then the script edits the sources.list and adds contrib to deb-multimedia again, then you press enter and keep going. (that's the best I can do for a bug report. I hope it helps)

Last edited by pingu (2015-05-18 11:19:02)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#29 2015-05-18 15:53:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thank you for that bug report. But why have you got deb-multimedia in your sources.list at all? The script is meant to be run just after doing a Debian netinstall, when there should only be debian jessie and backports, main only. The script adds contrib and non-free to those.

The way to get through that glitch would be to comment out the deb-multimedia line you have in sources.list.

There is an option to add the deb-multimedia repos later, in the bl-welcome script, but that does not add contrib to it.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#30 2015-05-18 21:32:23

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

Did a clean debian 8 netinstall (only loading utils) then ran the BL scripts as per hhh except this is a desktop so no wireless to worry about.

Went right through with no issues, booted to BL and ran BL welcome script, did the printer thing etc.

Everything just did what it should - the very best sort of boring!! Been using the machine all evening, really great.

Fantastic effort guys. lol  lol

#31 2015-05-18 22:35:21

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Installed on HP Compaq 6720s (old 32bit laptop with 1GB RAM, pae capable) ... everything went perfect (per hhh's instructions).

Minor nuisances:
- need non-free firmware for WiFi during debian-netinstall
- sound doesn't work (but volume icon is present, and volume-up/down/mute keys work!)
- screen brightness keys don't work

Probably, with some googling, last two problems would be solved (too lazy to try it now).

Once again, congratulation to dev team: clap, clap  {)  {)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#32 2015-05-19 01:04:23

pingu
#! Junkie

johnraff wrote:

^Thank you for that bug report. But why have you got deb-multimedia in your sources.list at all? The script is meant to be run just after doing a Debian netinstall, when there should only be debian jessie and backports, main only. The script adds contrib and non-free to those.

The way to get through that glitch would be to comment out the deb-multimedia line you have in sources.list.

There is an option to add the deb-multimedia repos later, in the bl-welcome script, but that does not add contrib to it.

Now that you mentioned, I think I only added debian multimedia in the welcome script. I had to run the install script again after installing network-manager (because it really didn't like installing without it), and then the glitch was experienced. (which makes more sense I think)

Linus f****g Trovalds

#33 2015-05-19 02:12:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^the script is supposed to check if sources.list has already been modified and not touch it in that case. I'll have to have another look at that section. It is supposed to be possible to run the script multiple times without breaking anything.

John
--------------------

#34 2015-05-19 06:51:25

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

iMBeCil wrote:

- need non-free firmware for WiFi during debian-netinstall

Use one of the unofficial ISO images that already have the non-free firmware included:
64-bit system
32-bit system

For the brighness issue, edit the file at /etc/default/grub and add this snippet to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="video.use_native_backlight=1"

Then use:

sudo update-grub

If that doesn't work, try "video.use_native_backlight=0" or these parameters in isolation or in combination:

acpi_backlight=vendor
acpi_osi=linux
acpi_osi="!Windows 2012"

#35 2015-05-19 11:28:17

damo
#! gimpbanger

I'd like to say that upgrade-bunsen-packages is a great idea - what a time-saver! smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#36 2015-05-19 23:13:27

Morpheus

debian jessie netinstall + mobile broadband = nightmare. I just can't get my internet connection to work. I wish there was a tutorial for mobile broadband dongles.

(^-^*)/コンチャ!

#37 2015-05-19 23:53:12

damo
#! gimpbanger

Morpheus wrote:

debian jessie netinstall + mobile broadband = nightmare. I just can't get my internet connection to work. I wish there was a tutorial for mobile broadband dongles.

Debian wiki - wifi
Arch wiki - wifi

(PS Get an Atheros or Realtek usb dongle, and use the firmware iso )

Last edited by damo (2015-05-19 23:53:34)

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#38 2015-05-20 04:42:04

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@damo:  Morpheus mentioned a mobile broadband dongle, which I believe may be a different animal from a wifi dongle.

@Morpheus:  Have you tried Googling or Binging the name of the device or checked the forums of your provider?  Years ago I obtained a script from Jeff Hoagland, the developer of Bodhi, to get a Cricket mobile broadband dongle to work under CrunchBang.  Also, did you install modemmanager?

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-05-20 04:49:36)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#39 2015-05-21 20:27:25

Morpheus

KrunchTime wrote:

@damo:  Morpheus mentioned a mobile broadband dongle, which I believe may be a different animal from a wifi dongle.

@Morpheus:  Have you tried Googling or Binging the name of the device or checked the forums of your provider?  Years ago I obtained a script from Jeff Hoagland, the developer of Bodhi, to get a Cricket mobile broadband dongle to work under CrunchBang.  Also, did you install modemmanager?

It's Telewell 3G HSPA+ (TW-3G HSPA+)

I'll give it another try on sunday when I have more time, but I'm beginng to think that this is not worth the trouble.

Maybe it's better to just install Lubuntu or something and try to make it look like crunchbang

(^-^*)/コンチャ!

#40 2015-05-22 06:23:29

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

#41 2015-05-23 08:30:50

redcollective

Morpheus wrote:

Maybe it's better to just install Lubuntu or something and try to make it look like crunchbang

IDK, maybe this will help:

https://packages.debian.org/stable/usb-modeswitch
https://packages.debian.org/stable/usb-modeswitch-data

... and the maintainer: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

your device is in the list of known working hardware.

caveat: I install on an ethernet cable, so I don't know where to begin with a usb dongle, just trying to help.

#42 2015-05-23 08:38:47

redcollective

@johnraff et al

... quietly hoping this script IS the way bunsen might be installed in future... it feels right. I'm not a developer, so apologies in advance for a noobish question:

Can a script like this be added in the debian repository? Signed and all that jazz? So one would debian netinstall, then apt-get install a bunsen-desktop metapackage?

Though have to say I'm very comfortable with the way it pulls from github... it exudes openess and auditability.

Just dreaming...

Red

#43 2015-05-23 09:15:13

smacz
#! Junkie

redcollective wrote:

... quietly hoping this script IS the way bunsen might be installed in future... it feels right.

+1 for old-school cool.

#44 2015-05-23 13:15:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

redcollective wrote:

Can a script like this be added in the debian repository? Signed and all that jazz? So one would debian netinstall, then apt-get install a bunsen-desktop metapackage?

Yes, that's roughly what I'm dreaming of too. Just install the bunsen metapackage and everything will be done. No need for a script at all in fact.  cool

John
--------------------

#45 2015-05-23 15:28:38

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

That's actually a good idea and would make BunsenLabs a "unique" Linux choice.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#46 2015-05-23 20:43:35

ghorvath
#! Member

johnraff wrote:
redcollective wrote:

Yes, that's roughly what I'm dreaming of too. Just install the bunsen metapackage and everything will be done. No need for a script at all in fact.  cool

+1

#47 2015-05-24 06:10:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@Sector11 not that unique really. That's how I first installed Xubuntu, following the Ubuntu wiki at the time (~10 yrs ago?) - start with cli Ubuntu, use nano to edit sources.list and add the xubuntu repo, then 'apt-get install xubuntu-desktop'.

John
--------------------

#48 2015-05-24 11:47:17

pingu
#! Junkie

ghorvath wrote:
johnraff wrote:
redcollective wrote:

+1

++

Linus f****g Trovalds

#49 2015-05-24 13:22:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

johnraff wrote:

@Sector11 not that unique really. That's how I first installed Xubuntu, following the Ubuntu wiki at the time (~10 yrs ago?) - start with cli Ubuntu, use nano to edit sources.list and add the xubuntu repo, then 'apt-get install xubuntu-desktop'.

I got really angry a because a BSOD took out Win2000 and subsequent tries at re-installing had W2K declaring "No HDD Found".  A 6 month old WD 80GB HDD and Windows could not see it.  So the next day I went to a cyber cafe and downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 and had them burn the ISO for me.  All because a friend had mentioned how great "Ubu" was... Ubu found and installed on that HDD no problem at all.  Two years later I found my way here, #! 9.04.1.  Funny thing was, I had recommended #! to a few people before even trying it myself, having seen some screenshots of it.  They were running little "netbooks" and wanted something lighter than Xubuntu.  The new 9.04 Xubuntu ran really slow on my old P-III - that's when I came here.

Had no idea Ubuntu had "net installs" back then, in fact I had no idea that they even existed.  Now - a net install just makes sense, a clean system to build on.  BTW, my MIL still uses that same HDD with SliTaz on it.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2015-05-24 20:42:42

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

johnraff wrote:
redcollective wrote:

Sounds like a really awesome idea, and I almost never say "awesome".

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

Board footer