SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-06 21:52:39

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

Colossal Suggestion!?

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to show up late and spout a bunch of ^Z&$@$ about how I think things should be  lol
I don't have a lot of time right now, but I will be sure to get back on here real soon promise.

So I started playing around with this thing called a raspberry pi a few months ago. Totally awesome little computer that is a fun way to start learning about computers. During those months I learned a bit about debian, raspbian, centos, and some then I found crunchbang!!!! I will admit that I don't know much about linux, but I learn pretty fast, well that is what I'd like to think anyway.

Okay, okay....
I am in a hurry....
So, first off. Why is it called bunsenlab? Personally, I think that is a poor choice. Most of the time when stuff branches off or is bought out half of the time is preserved. So if Luckydog got bought by StrongBone the new name might be LuckyBone right? By keeping part of the name people who were familiar with the os crunchbang might be bought over by a familiar sounding name. That way they feel like it is the same operating system instead of something completely different. I of course like Collossal Crunch tongue but no really why not keep the word crunch or bang. Maybe CrunchLabs? How about PubliCrunch since it is a community project, like public and crunch. Maybe, The People's Crunch hell I don't know... but What is up with BunsenLabs?

Secondly, and I guess more importantly. Is anyone from BunsenLabs working on a verison that would work on a Raspberry Pi? I really hope that someone might take this seriously. It could so turn things around for CrunchBang!!!!

The Pi is a super small computer with almost no ram. CrunchBang is all about preserving system resources. The PI is big on getting your hands dirty, experimenting, and learning. Seems like CrunchBang has the exact same motto. The people working on Bodhi have already figured this out and are trying to get a foot in the door by making a Rpi version.

Lastly, even though I am new to linux do you think that I could have in place in helping out? I have some free time and like I said I am a fast learner. Maybe someone could at least point me in the right direction?

If anyone actually took the time to read all that thank you very much! big_smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-05-06 22:11:03

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Re: Colossal Suggestion!?

Your post might have been better in the Ideas & Suggestions forum.  I don't believe a spin is being worked on for the Raspberry Pi.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-05-06 22:13:52)

#3 2015-05-06 23:06:16

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Actually, I will attempt to get started on that this weekend. I have been so covered up with other stuff here lately, that I haven't gotten around too it. We have in fact, planned to do exactly that. However, consider that an arm build probably won't be 100% complete until we have a complete BunsenLabs. However, I do plan to post my work as I am able to get it done on these forums.

#4 2015-05-06 23:30:08

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

#5 2015-05-06 23:37:22

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

#6 2015-05-07 06:08:55

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

#7 2015-05-07 12:37:11

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

yikes It exist. Oh, no it's already dying too.  cry 
I don't want PIBANG to be dead take it back!

So can someone tell me how where to start? I really want to learn more about tweaking a linux distro and making it my own. I love CrunchBang and would like to learn more about it. I guess I'm several years behind on stoping the demise of PIBANG but I'd like to start learning about this stuff. Any suggestions?

I have edited some .conf files, made a few python scripts, and um well a few other things...

#8 2015-05-07 13:01:39

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

#9 2015-05-07 15:04:29

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-07 15:08:31)

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? ops
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  monkey
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#10 2015-05-07 15:16:22

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-07 15:17:04)

"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#11 2015-05-07 22:24:26

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

@userx-bw I didn't really have a colossal suggestion. I just picked the name colossal and thought it was a funny play on words that might get people to click on the forum page.

#12 2015-05-07 22:26:07

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

#13 2015-05-07 22:32:35

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

Would you believe that I orginally turned my nose up and linuxBBQ just because of the name.  neutral
Now I am seeing why this really would be a good choice for learning more about linux.
I just got drawn in by the look and sound of crunchbang. Really made me sad when I realized I was coming into this right after it had ended, but that's my luck.

#14 2015-05-07 23:02:07

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

#15 2015-05-08 01:28:17

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Setup a virtual machine and start from there. That way if you mess something up you are out nothing. My first run at Arch, I installed it through a VM. I then had the benefit of the Wiki being right in front of me. The best way to get started is to just do it, then keep doing it until you understand what's going on. I have built and rebuilt my own custom respin at least a dozen times in the past six months. Each time, I learn a bit more, then tweak a bit more. I think I am finally to the point of being mostly satisfied with what I have built.

#16 2015-05-08 01:31:11

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-08 01:31:41)

#17 2015-05-08 01:33:00

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

I usually just use VirtualBox. Dead simple to install and configure from Jessie's repos. Of course, if I was more serious about my Virtual Machines, then other more low level stuff might become appropriate but what we are wanting is a learning sandbox, which VirtualBox should mostly handle.

#18 2015-05-08 01:47:57

k0s

@ccrunch     
I like going for beers with individuals like yourself ...never a dull moment.

How deep into RazPi are you? Still rockin the gen1 and/or derivatives, or moved into RazPi 2?
Ill break my comment down into two parts: feedback & unsolicited advice.

If you are determined to build your Pi as a desktop, go minimal and build gently into a configuration that is both lite but yet still useful as a desktop. Pibang is cool, but heavy. When you eventually do get it running as intended, it will only be a short amount of time before you get a lesson in thermodynamics. The entropy from long exposure to a heavy distro will fry your device fast. For all the time spent configuring it, and rapidly depreciating shelf-life, what do you achieve? An experience thats kind-a-sorta like #! and performance thats only marginally acceptable. Its not really a PiBang issue as much as the hardware itself. The community holding down that project fielded a true contender. This argument can carry over to just about any distro for RazPi use, because the hardware was never intended to be a desktop and/or replacement. There are some cool things happening in the Pi world, and a ton of add-on boards and shields that will allow you to automate just about anything you feel needs to be automated . I know a guy who used one to automate the up/down of his rear license plate to fuel up his Jeep. My son uses one for biometric secure entrance to his room. Ive seen them built as wifi routers and I once deployed one as a Mesh Router. But even as simple of a task as modem or traffic shaping, you have to remember you are only going to achieve 10/100 at best with a Pi.

If you aren’t too invested into the hardware already (or even if you are) check out some of the other ARM projects. ODroid is my favorite so far. They even sport one with quad-core. +1 on the Arch recommendation above. You can take that one step further and check out the ARKOS project. But if you hop over to ODROID, you get to play with Android Development Software. Android is my vice in life so I can only say great things about it. But every single board out there with a hat in this ring has something unique about it. I can say one thing is unanimous among them all. None of them do the Desktop environment well, or as well as you are probably used to.

Last edited by k0s (2015-05-08 01:50:50)

#19 2015-05-08 01:50:20

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Hrmm so are you suggesting if I were to setup a desktop environment for a rpi2, then keep it very minimal?

#20 2015-05-08 02:00:29

k0s

you can get a really great minimal image from the cat over at Linux Systems. Just do a search for "raspberry pi minimal" and it should pop up near the top somewhere. And read through the user comments. Some good tips. But its been a while since I ventured over there so Im not sure if he has an updated image for Pi2 yet.

My son found a cool one the other day for Pi2 and the boot screen played like a movie ...almost like it was built in After Effects. Let me hunt him down and find it, Ill post back later or send you a PM with the link...

#21 2015-05-08 02:05:13

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Our intention was to build a Live image of BunsenLabs for the rpi2 at the very least. I know that memory will be a big constraint but had not yet considered the heat factor. Chances are I can figure out how to resolve that but would hate to have people thinking cool, we can run BunsenLabs on an rpi2, then roasting the poor things. To be fair though, NOOBS is nothing more than a light-weight lxde build, so it could be doable, provided we understand that it may not do everything a full-blown BunsenLabs desktop is going to do. The reason I am asking is because I intend to start a build this weekend.

#22 2015-05-08 04:51:57

mlnviets
Website

i think bunch of ^Z&$@$ about how I think things should be  lol
I don't have a lot of time right now, but I will be sure to get back on here real soon promise.

#23 2015-05-08 05:04:04

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-05-08 05:05:22)

#24 2015-05-08 06:38:07

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-05-08 06:40:30)

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2015-05-08 13:05:18

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

2006-03-15 14:57:08

Moo-Crumpus

Re: Apt-get vs Pacman

pacman is easier to use.
Example:

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
--------------------------------------------------------
= pacman -Syu

Like apt-get, pacman resolves dependencies, can install and update single, some or all packages

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-08 13:06:44)

Board footer