SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2015-06-25 01:58:50

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: Be one of the first!

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2015-06-25 12:31:09

hhh
Cityspeak

#53 2015-06-25 13:24:33

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

hehe tight butted people don't see life the same way others do. wink

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? ops
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  monkey
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#54 2015-06-25 13:40:01

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#55 2015-06-25 13:49:29

damo
#! gimpbanger

#56 2015-06-25 13:52:27

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

you can read Russian? smile
if this works then I got a find the change the language part during install wink lol

Edit:
the only English word on the page and I didn't see it : : lol . lol too taken back by all of the Russian spellings ..  roll

One Hour to Download it

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-06-25 14:07:49)

#57 2015-06-25 14:59:36

damo
#! gimpbanger

Ctrl-F -> "download" -> Highlight All

wink

#58 2015-06-25 15:49:55

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-06-25 15:52:21)

#59 2015-06-25 17:05:50

spacex
ew
Website

Last edited by spacex (2015-06-25 17:08:46)

#60 2015-06-25 17:13:44

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#61 2015-06-25 17:14:52

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

#62 2015-06-25 22:47:16

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

well I tried installing that Russian Linux in VM changed it to English and it just kept getting caught in a loop during install.
sad

#63 2015-06-25 23:24:58

spacex
ew
Website

Last edited by spacex (2015-06-26 11:41:51)

#64 2015-06-26 11:22:54

News Plus
#! Member

#65 2015-06-26 11:57:58

intoCB
Scatweasel

We should probably remember that if anyone owns the name CrunchBang, it's Corenominal. He has said he's ok with CB++. So, we shouldn't be overly concerned with all that.

On the other hand, it's important that BunsenLabs does its own thing with confidence. Yes, some people will go with Computermouth but at the end of the day, so what? It's all GPL'd and our buttheart doesn't amount to a whole heap of dingleberries in this world.

BunsenLabs intends to be a community thing. That implies inclusivity. I don't know how you make sure people with malicious intent don't join a project but I do suspect that people turned away at the gates will not become any kind of advocate for the project.

BunsenLabs needs to communicate better and clearer what it is, what problem it solves and why it is not simply CrunchBangAndThenSome.

There is room for everybody and if you think Computermouth stole Corenominal's distro, it's worth bearing in mind that the only person entitled to take umbrage at this (Corenominal) has not.

Make BunsenLabs great and don't worry about the others who now have the dubious honour of maintaining a distro.

#66 2015-06-26 12:28:12

spacex
ew
Website

#67 2015-06-26 18:35:26

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#68 2015-06-26 22:00:37

News Plus
#! Member

"Bunsen" sounds no worse than "Debian"  wink

#69 2015-06-26 23:45:42

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

The name works. The distro works from what I have seen. Sure there are still things that need to be ironed out and as far as I am concerned, that's ok. I have built up my own spin and built a Live Iso for myself, for three reasons:

One is to learn how it's done. Two, for convenience when I want to put it on any of my other machines.
And the third is so that I can customize it the way I want it. #! gave me a solid base to work from. Also, some members of this community, having seen my notes on my Crunchy Arch install asked if I would pitch in and bring up a Crunchy Debian install from console. That post was the first I made where I titled it a rough draft because that is certainly what it was.

Before I found #!, I wandered in the land of the Buntites for a long time, still searching for something. I finally ended up with something similar enough to #! that I immediately recognized it as what I had been searching for and made the switch from Ubuntu.

#! opened the doors to Linux for me. Since I came to these forums I have learned how to Crunchify an Arch install. I have built a Crunchy Debian up from the console. I have built Live iso's. All that I learned under the auspices of this community. I would have never learned this in the land of the Buntites because good information was so hard to find there.

The point is and I will keep reiterating it until people seem to get it, I owe more to #! than just the preconfigured software packages. A community to call home is so much more than just a distro spin could ever be. You see, now in my Linux adventures, I know I am not alone and if I have a problem I cannot resolve myself, chances are one of you can help me with it. Why would I want to go back to wandering in the desert when I know where home is?

I applaud all of the efforts made so far, even those that have fallen outside the realm of BunsenLabs. It is simple enough to build your own spin, but the journey takes you much deeper into the workings of Linux, at least from the desktop angle. However, you can build a distro spin but can you build a community? Because that is what every successful distro from Debian down to LinuxBBQ has managed to do and it must be done if you want to remain viable over the long haul.

That being said, I have difficulty with self-entitled people of any description, like you "OWE" us a Live ISO because Corenominal did it. I have my own live iso and I guarantee you if approached on a personal level and told I "OWED" it to somebody the answer would be a flat no. The Live ISO will be ready soon enough and I figure if folks have the minimal technical know-how to start a script in console and care about the existence of this community, at this point the best help you can be is to test it out. The sooner the bugs are all fixed, the quicker the Live ISO will come. And if you don't care about the existence of this community, then my feeling is kind of "Move on. Nothing to see here." But enough of that kind of stuff from me. Thing is, if you do dare to try the Netinstall script out, you will find out the truth. And the truth is, BunsenLabs is gonna rock.

On a final note, I have worked on my own system and polished and tweaked and I still have minor stuff I would like to change on it. The framework is there but I don't consider it release ready despite the fact that I have been running my main desktop on it, from the time I built that desktop and can honestly say it is pretty rock solid. So yeah, I get it when the devs and mods say BunsenLabs will be ready when it's ready.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-06-26 23:51:00)

#70 2015-06-27 00:07:09

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

#71 2015-06-27 00:26:38

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#72 2015-06-27 01:04:04

spacex
ew
Website

#73 2015-06-27 09:38:07

News Plus
#! Member

1. I did not begin to speak about it in this positive topic.
2. I'm just quoted, what other people wrote about the name of BunsenLabs Linux,
not about its/her content or quality. You must know about it.
3. I dont have any relation to CrunchBang++ and other distributions.
4. I use Debian NetInstall.
5. I just suggest ideas for you.

#74 2015-06-27 12:40:27

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

@Sector11 good to know some people can see the humor -- wink as another in here said can't take it too seriously there is no need for it, he used the lack of motivation being money so why get ones panties in a ruffle it's all free  anyways (paraphrased) even I with Crunchbang changed the look to it, because it wasn't the look I liked about it the most. it was the simplicity of it. He had to have curtailed what was installed in his distro too. meaning removing items (apps) that most don't use anyways, keeping that mind set of, it is not that much of a hassle if they want it installed on their system then all one has to do is apt-get install it -- because it was a fast install. faster then a Debian iso install for me anyways.

there is a lot more to take into consideration when wanting to put out a product then just making it look like what others are lining up for. only to end up with a cheep knock off that does not measure up to what ones exceptions where.

one needs to apply the work ethics of first make it work then make it pretty to look at. as some have already said I've already did it myself, just because I wanted to, and any other reason that motivated them to do so. but did they take the time to look at ever app that is installed in a default iso one that already has just about everything in it?

then in install script installs every bit of it without questioning what is "byer" market are they aiming for? does the ones that they want to cator to need every stinking app in the repo installed before they run it.

if it is aimed a nubeeies then it should have just the essentials, file management, disk maintenance, app to write documents, and not the whole suite, as most people don't even use all of it, that is just wasted space, they can install the rest if needed. a note pad for flat files geany I think is the best, leaf pad and the others suck, I'm speaking gui here, whereas Geany is more then just a good ole scratch pad, one can even code with it if needed, and it keeps more then one file on hand every time one opens it up to use it.

its all right there, nano is another one, better then vi IMO.

video player, image looker at'er, or manipulator,gimp is just the standard and should be installed on every Linux ever, it is like the glove box that just comes along with the car. it is always there just in case you need to use it.

most "back end" programs that no one even know about, can they be removed to ensure a faster install time, because in most cases most people will never use them anyways, SED, AWK, etc. I don't touch theses. if they are needed then install them on demand afterwards.

this is what apt-get in for, and it gives the user experience in how to install items on there new Linux -

on and on it goes, a lot of preparation before coding needs to take place before a good product gets put on the market R&D wasn't "invented" just to give people jobs so that they'd have some money in their pockets to live off of too.

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2015-06-27 14:12:54

News Plus
#! Member

I think so too. The ideal Distribution - The minimal Openbox.
spacex and tknomanzr have created their distributions,
but no one share how they built them!  big_smile

Board footer