SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-12 00:14:10

Choven

Audio keys not working on a netinstall

Did some searches in the forum.  I saw another with a similar problem (Who is stealing my keypresses (Multimedia keys)?), but his post has gone unanswered.  I did a netinstall of jessie and have been working to crunchify it without using the #! repos.  I've been working on getting volume icons working, which I have, but now the multimedia keys are not working.  I used xev and this is an example output of either my mute, volume up, or volume down:

FocusOut event, serial 48, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 48, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 48, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0 

XF86AudioNext, previous, and play all report as they should.  As the link above mentions, it is like something is capturing these events and I want to figure out what is doing it so I can stop it and remap them in my rc.xml file.

Here's additional information.  The volume mute key was registered by xfce4-notifyd, so that I received a notification when the mute was toggled but it had no effect on my master volume.  Also, I had a working stable #! install (64bit) on this laptop (HP 15-g012dx) and these keys worked fine.  I currently have a working 32-bit install on this laptop and the volume keys work fine.  These keys work fine on my fedora install, too (also on this laptop), not to mention Win8.1 that came preinstalled.  So, I know it's not a bios issue (I double checked before writing this). 

Thanks for guidance...

Choven

{edit}  I'm on my 32-bit install and checked the output of xev.  I get the same behavior, which suggests that something is capturing these keypresses.  However, they work as expected (everything works).

Last edited by Choven (2015-04-12 00:23:05)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-04-12 08:18:16

ohnonot
...again

Re: Audio keys not working on a netinstall

hmmm...

troubleshooting:
in addition to what was said in that other thread, you could try

• open another tty

• do not boot into gui at all

• try another (live) distro

and see what xev returns then.

are you saying that on other ditros the keys in question return the proper "XF86Audio..." value when testing with xev?

#3 2015-04-12 08:34:15

damo
#! gimpbanger

Same symptoms with me after a sid update last year. Notifications work, but there is no effect on the volume/mute.

xev output is the same as @OP's, but occasionally is odd eg:

KeymapNotify event, serial 48, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  4294967204 0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0 

In a tty, 'showkey' gives keycodes for the multimedia keys, but setting them with xmodmap doesn't have an effect

xmodmap -e "keycode 113 = XF86AudioMute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 114 = XF86AudioLowerVolume"
xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume"

I gave up in the end and set those actions to other keys in rc.xml

EDIT: Setting with xmodmap does have an effect - it messes up Home/End/arrow keys!

Last edited by damo (2015-04-12 08:38:04)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#4 2015-04-12 09:05:00

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I ran into this too. It seems to be an issue with xfce4-volume-daemon and xfce4-mixer in trying to use the wrong sound card. It will take some time for me to dig out the fix (forgotten) but meanwhile:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/137421/v … t-in-xfce4
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Sound

OK partly remember: go to ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-mixer.xml and right at the bottom find a line with "active-card". It might need changing to a different value. I think you might be able to use pavucontrol to figure out the right name.
I had to change:
<property name="active-card" type="string" value="PlaybackHighDefinitionAudioControllerDigitalStereoHDMIPulseAudioMixer"/>
to
<property name="active-card" type="string" value="PlaybackBuiltinAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer"/>
icon_rolleyes.gif

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#5 2015-04-12 13:17:11

Choven

Here's what I've tried this morning

@ohnonot
I tried xev in a tty, but xev is an X11 program.  From what I've read, I will be unable to use xev to determine the code for the volume keys. [edit] Using 'showkey', the keys are 113, 114, and 115.

I get the same output in a 32-bit crunchbang install (waldorf) and a fedora install.  I downloaded a live distro of puppy linux and see the same output.  The difference between the debian-based distros and both fedora and puppy is that Fedora/Puppy report 'serial 33' instead of 'serial 48' in the output.  Puppy is the only distro where my multimedia keys do not work (not even the brightness display). 

@johnraff
I thought the same thing.  Reference has been made to gnome-settings-daemon, but to my knowledge (via apt), I did not install it.  I removed xfce4-mixer to see if that was capturing these keys, but no luck, the output remains the same.  I also checked the soundcard.  Yes, the default is my HDMI output and I had to change it to the speakers.  I'm certain I fixed it because my CLI commands to adjust playback and volume apply to the correct soundcard. 

@damo
I'll try 'showkey' in tty once I reboot. [edit] 'showkey' returns 113, 114, and 115.[/edit]
I tried to set my volume/mute function to 'C-A-Arrows' in rc.xml.  For some reason, my keybinds are not having an effect.  My command works in terminator, but the key combo isn't working yet.  When I get different keybindings to work, I'll consider this a temporary fix because my multimedia keys worked out of the box in crunchbang and Fedora, but not in my netinstall.  That tells me that I'm missing a package or two, or my settings aren't correct.

[edit]
So, I booted into puppy and wrote this email.  I then booted back into my netinstall.  Now, xev is reporting XF86Audio keys correctly.  I honestly don't remember if I checked prior to booting into puppy this morning, but last night, I removed xfce4-volumed, xfce4-mixer, xfce4-notifyd, and xfce4-panel.  The time stamps in my apt log suggest that I did not reboot after removing the individual packages.  Thus, this morning was the first reboot following the removal of the packages.  My keybindings for XF86Audio... are not working yet.  I run 'openbox --reconfigure' after editing and saving rc.xml, but none of the changes seem to affect my audio.  So now, I'm going to work on re-adding these packages to figure out which one is capturing my multimedia keys.  I'll install one package at a time and reboot between them to see which one changes the output in xev.  I'll report back here for those interested in this behavior.

Last edited by Choven (2015-04-12 13:44:16)

#6 2015-04-13 06:43:33

ohnonot
...again

:confused:
are you saying that xev reports the keycodes now, but the openbox keybinds are not working?
in that case we should move on to check which commands you use for that.

PS: there's a saying "In Windows, reboot, in Linux, be root"; but i have found that rebooting is required in Linux, too, from time to time.

#7 2015-04-13 12:47:20

Choven

@ohnonot
I tried to set my keybindings to C-A-Up, C-A-Down, and C-A-Right for up, down, and mute.  These didn't take effect, and it might be a conflict within the rc.xml code because these keybindings were assigned to other functions.  <!-- ... --> around the "old" bindings and issuing the openbox --reconfigure didn't seem to affect my volume.  However, replacing C-A-arrow with the now seen XF86Audio keys and rebooting did the trick (still don't understand why a reboot was necessary, but I'm not complaining).  Moreover, I had to adjust the volume increments and 'openbox --reconfigure' correctly updates the keybindings.  My multimedia keys now work as expected minus the notification that normally appeared when muting or changing volume.

Didn't get a chance to determine which of the xfce4 packages captured these keys.  It would be nice to figure it out and investigate how to get the multimedia keys working without the keybindings.

#8 2015-04-13 12:51:47

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Choven wrote:

My multimedia keys now work as expected minus the notification that normally appeared when muting or changing volume.

Didn't get a chance to determine which of the xfce4 packages captured these keys.

I've only been scanning this thread, but I think it's xfce4-volumed

Apologies if this has already been covered...

#9 2015-04-13 20:35:05

ohnonot
...again

Choven wrote:

My multimedia keys now work as expected minus the notification that normally appeared when muting or changing volume.

so everything is basically ok now?

you could list the packages you had to uninstall to make it work - if you want to troubleshoot that further.
but please an exact listing, no free-form reminiscing (hint: synaptic has a history listing. so has apt if you know where to look).

#10 2015-04-14 12:35:22

Choven

Worked on this problem some more.  I looked at my /var/log/apt/history.log file to see what I was installing/removing before the audio keys started to work.  Here are the packages that I've been focusing on: xfce4-notifyd, xfce4-mixer, xfce4-volumed, and xfce4-panel.  Xfce4-mixer pulled in xfce4-panel,  What I did is this:
1.  Install a package
2.  Checked xev and function of my audio keys
3.  Reboot
4.  Checked xev and function of my audio keys
5.  Remove the package and try another

For all of the xfce4-* packages above, none of them changed how xev saw my multimedia keys (they saw them as XF86Audio***) or altered the functioning of the audio keys.  I then moved to combinations of packages and finished with all of them installed.  In the end, my keys still work as they should.

I did learn some other information.  I have blueman installed to handle my usb bluetooth adapter so I can connect my headphones.  Blueman needs a notification package, and the standard is notification-daemon.  When xfce4-notifyd and notification-daemon (and blueman which autoremoves), then xev will not report the output given in my initial post; it only gives the keypress information.  Once a notification daemon is installed (either xfce4-notifyd or notification-daemon), then the notify event appears in xev. 

This is where I'm at right now.  My apt log has a few more packages that I installed while trying to get the multimedia keys working.  I installed volumeicon-alsa, alsa-tools, and alsa-utils.  I'm unsure why any of these would have affected the multimedia keys, but I'm going to systematically remove them (and reboot between packages) to see if I can reproduce my initial problem.  If not, then I'll be completely mystified as to why the keys miraculously began to work.

#11 2015-04-15 07:00:55

ohnonot
...again

there's (always) a third possibility:
something else you installed at some point broke the multimedia keys, and removing the xfce packages somehow fixed that.
don't worry about it too much - installing software on a gui linux install should be a precise science, but it isn't.

Choven wrote:

the notify event appears in xev

???
you lost me there.

Board footer